Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

PYF Hakuho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbtt5UcJsB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gctq_pdHj1U

sivad fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

PYF Hakuho, back when Aminishiki still had hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5TXO9cqH_c

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Y/O: Hakuho/Takakeisho/Kakuryu
S/K: Abi/Takayasu/Asanoyama
M1-5: Mitakeumi/Endo/Enho
M6-10: Tochinoshin/Aoiyama/Ishiura
M11+: Chiyomaru/Kagayaki/Kotoshogiku

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Mekchu posted:

Endo right now

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Rigel posted:

Trades are allowed until after day 7. It means that if you picked a yokozuna for fantasy, then you better trade out for someone else right now at the Y/O level, either Takakeisho or Goedio. (pick Takakeisho)

I'll drop Hakuho and take Takakeisho.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Bentai posted:

I’ve been tempted to pay way too much for an authentic Hakuho handprint. And a Tochinoshin. And an Enho.

I got my wife a Tochinoshin for her birthday from John. Highly recommended.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Conversely, has anyone developed any irrational dislikes? I dislike Goeido for no good reason other than I think he's really bland for his position. But wait until Ichinojo makes it back to salaried ranks -- that's when you'll start to hear me complain about boring sumo.

Goeido is a bum, and I've irrationally hated him since he henka'd Tochinoshin in early 2018.

Also down for a gangtag.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

sivad posted:

Also down for a gangtag.

Hoping I didn't miss the boat!

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Kenning posted:

Special mention to sivad who got a make-koshi from every wrestler he drafted, and only got a kachi-koshi from the automatic Takakeisho trade after both yokozuna pulled out. I've been there buddy!

Awesome basho, and its great to see so much new blood in the thread!

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Kenning posted:

Can someone re-explain the joke with the fish? It's something like the name for that fish sounds like (or shares kanji with) the word for victory or something?

[efb]

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20756516 posted:

The fish was a tai, usually translated into English as "sea bream", or "red sea bream", or sometimes just as "snapper"... One reason given for this in Japan is the similarity between the word "tai", and the word for "joyous", "auspicious" or "deserving celebration" - o-medetai.

Also, haven't seen this anywhere else yet, but at least one source claims Goeido's retiring: https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1221768800078422018

sivad fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 27, 2020

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Rigel posted:

(Jesus, Hakuho was dominant at his peak. I couldn't help but notice that he had several basho where he was the only yokozuna holding down SIX Ozeki from gaining promotion to his rank before Harumafuji finally broke free from his reign of terror)

I looked it up and holy crap, does this sentence not do it justice:

From September 2007 to May 2016, there were only 2 bashos where he didn't get either the yusho or jun-yusho.

edit: there are 27 bashos in that screencap, and 38 losses. Out of 405 bouts.

sivad fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 25, 2020

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

This is my umpteenth sumo fantasy basho and I'm still using the same method.

:getin:

Y/O: Hakuho/Takakeisho/Kakuryu
S/K: Asanoyama/Shodai/Endo
M1-5: Mitakeumi/Enho/Abi
M6-10: Tochinoshin/Kagayaki/Shohozan
M11+: Ishiura/Aoiyama/Kaisei

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

pseudodragon posted:

I kind of noticed on the first day that people were flying further due to not having people to crash into, but didn’t notice until today that the ground is just straight up wood and maybe some carpet. If the area is going to be empty, they could at least pile up the unused zanbuton as padding.

Yeah without any crowd noise to drown it out, it was really apparent how hard they hit the ground.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Kenning posted:

So far sivad's dream team is just smoking everyone, with 1 loss total in 4 days. Very impressive start.

19 points in 4 days is funny coming off 29 in 15 days last basho!

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Dias posted:

Goddamnit, Aoiyama

Despite my valiant Ishiura defeating the dreaded Aoiyama (jk he's my boy too), I think Aoiyama won the Gino-sho, which means you'd beat me...

Great basho!

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Dimebags Brain posted:

Does Hakuho have to be an active rikishi to participate in the Olympic ceremonies? Couldn't he retire and still be involved in a "greatest sumo wrestler of all time" capacity?

He has to cut his mage when he retires, and I'd bet the old men wouldn't let him wear the rope either.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

We gonna play fantasy this basho?

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Y/O: Hakuho / Kakuryu / Takakeisho
S/K: Mitakaeumi / Okinoumi / Daieisho
M1-5: Onosho / Abi / Aoiyama
M6-10: Enho / Ishiura / Tokushoryu
M11+: Tochinoshin / Takayasu / Chiyomaru

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

As an Onosho-haver, I'd like to propose that any rikishi that sticks it out to a 0-15 record without taking the face-saving kyujo earns their owner 15 points, starting immediately...

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Kenning posted:

Final Standings:
code:
37	sivad

Just puttin' the thread on blast, the last time I finished dead last, I won the next one, so you're all fighting for second place in Aki.

Good basho!

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

somebody will know what i'm talking about just based on the description but there's this white guy who obviously lifts weights pretty seriously and is obviously stronger than 98% of the population straight out of bed in the morning and he goes to a sumo heya to train and tries to do the basic 'push resisting sumo man across the clay. his ineffectiveness is embarrassing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PmtNp2idw

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Kenning posted:

Ichi owns.

:emptyquote:

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Y/O: Asanoyama / Takakeisho
S/K: Mitakeumi / Okinoumi / Endo
M1-5: Terunofuji / Toshinoshin / Tamawashi
M6-10: Kagayaki / Aoiyama / Takayasu
M11+: Kotoshogiku / Kaisei / Chiyotairyu

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

whats for dinner posted:

Thanks very much! I've reached out to him on twitter and have my fingers crossed.

Yeah, I bought a Tochi from him, totally painless.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

drat I wonder if John can get me a Takayasu. I have two or three prints but an original would be framed front and center on my wall.

Are you guys just contacting him on twitter or is there a better way?

When I was talking to him, he said everyone is gettable, but prices fluctuate, and some take longer to source than others. When I was asking about Tochi, John said 'get in now, because he can't make any more once he's retired', though Takayasu has looked strong enough this basho that I don't think you're in danger.

And yeah, it was all through twitter DM.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Some of them have sweet street clothes too!

(speaking of the official sumo calendar, this was August of this year.)

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Blue like Kotoshogiku's mawashi on his last day of sumo.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1310422764075978752

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Fluffdaddy posted:

I don’t know where that tag is but I’ll check later

Oh man if we're going retroactive, I, too, was a yokogoona (in March)!

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Y/O: Asanoyama / Shodai / Takakeisho
S/K: Mitakeumi / Takayasu / Terunofuji
M1-5: Wakatakakage / Onosho / Tobizaru
M6-10: Tochinoshin / Aoiyama / Tokushoryu
M11+: Ichinojo / Enho / Kaisei

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

I'll drop Asanoyama in favor of Takakeisho as well.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

sivad posted:

I'll drop Asanoyama in favor of Takakeisho as well.

I don't know if you saw this Kenning, but I hope it went in before day 3!

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Soooo Takakeisho is guaranteed at least a playoff, meaning we have a Yokozuna run in January, right?

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

vulvamancer posted:

I messaged him as well, wanted to see if he had Wakatakakage, Ryuden, or Myogiryu and he didn't have any of them. To be fair as much as I like those wrestlers he indicated that he'd charge around 180 bucks for them and if that's the case I'd rather just pay the extra 40 for a Hakuho.

When I was talking to him about getting my Tochinoshin (18000 yen shipped a bit over a year ago), he suggested that Hakuho was really easy to get because he's been on top for so long and there's a ton of supply. Prices only really seemed to rise for certain people who are retired, because they're not permitted to make any more.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Khizan posted:

I figured that this is more like... if an ozeki is competing in a basho with no yokozuna and no other ozeki, what does he really prove if he wins it? He's expected to win it. He has not proven himself the best of the best, he has proven that none of the others have ozeki-level sumo.

Would it make a difference if the ozeki won the tournament, but all the yoks had retired so there were none he could possibly beat? I think the sport is barbaric with how they deal with injury, but at some level I think they have to acknowledge that the guy that is physically capable of showing up and beats everyone else who is physically capable of showing up has earned the win. It's bad enough that you get punished for getting injured yourself, without also getting punished for other people getting injured.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1347745501433663489

Woof. So I guess they're committed to having the tournament?

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Y/O: Takakeisho/Asanoyama/Shodai
S/K: Terunofuji/ Takayasu/Mitakeumi
M1-M5: Tochinoshin/Kotoshoho/Tamawashi
M6-M10: Kagayaki/Ryuden/Kiribayama
M11+: Ichinojo/Akua/Hoshoryu

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

y/o: Hakuho / Shodai / Asanoyama
s/k: Terunofuji / Takayasu / Takanosho
m1-5: Wakatakakage / Meisei / Onosho
m6-10: Tochinoshin / Hoshoryu / Ichinojo
m11+: Kotoshoho / Daiamami / Aoiyama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

I'll drop Hakuho for Takakeisho, and failing that, for Asanoyama.