Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm going to be teaching film next year. I've taught film for a number of years so this is nothing new.

The course is focused on ideology and narrative. However, a rather irritating rule of the course is that one of the films we study has to be made within the past 5 years. Which is rather irritating 'cos I'm fairly old-school in what films I like and enjoy teaching. I'm teaching teenagers so for the modern film, I'd like to stick to something in popular culture and the more obvious, the better.

The films which I am deciding between are Black Panther, Captain Marvel and the all-female remake of the Ghostbusters. Personally, I didn't think that these movies were particularly great, and aside from the ideology in them, there isn't THAT much meat left on the bones in terms of a deep analysis. So far I'm leaning towards the female reboot of the Ghostbusters because it's the most obvious, but I'd HOPE we can do better than any of those three films?

So does anybody have any kickass suggestions?

Note: It shouldn't need to be stated, but just in case, let's not discuss the validity of the ideology, nor how well the film applied it. If it's an obvious ideology, it's an option. I don't want this to turn into a shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah the 5 year rule kinda sucks for picking out particularly good examples of mainstream-ish movies that have clear ideology and are fun to watch
I'd lean away from comic book and franchise blockbusters because arguably their ideological agenda tends to be "keep the franchise going, oh but also dress it up like <thing that's in the popular zeitgeist>" and I'd think in a class room with college age kids the shitshow of arguing about whether those movies have genuine ideology or not is all the more likely to get ugly.

Sorry to Bother You is also pretty clear about its ideology
Green Book is a sappy terrible film intended to assuage white guilt about the treatment of African Americans with a schlocky "See, we can all learn from each other?" story made even worse by attempts to graft the generic story over real people/a historical figure. The other suggestions in the list are actually enjoyable to watch though. It might be worth bringing up if the kids can remember the giant Oscars stink over this movie a few years ago.
The Big Short has clear messages about the moral rot of the financial sector, though might be a bit boring for them but stars actors they'll recognize.
Jordan Peele's Get Out is still in the 5 year window too.

The later Purge movies (like The First Purge) wear their ideology on their sleeve and also turned into decent thrillers. They're now about a corrupt government murdering people in the streets and framing the poor for it as an excuse to continue to crack down and distract from a failing society. Yeah I know I just said stay away from franchise films, but the purge carved a weird niche, the studio just wanted to keep churning out sequels and didn't seem to pay attention to who they left minding the shop, and then the actual good purge movies with commentary got popular so it has changed its focus.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I think Parasite or Okja by Bong Joon-ho would be good choices.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just show whatever, none of your teenagers actually care. If they're anything like me, anyway.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah the 5 year rule kinda sucks for picking out particularly good examples of mainstream-ish movies that have clear ideology and are fun to watch
I'd lean away from comic book and franchise blockbusters because arguably their ideological agenda tends to be "keep the franchise going, oh but also dress it up like <thing that's in the popular zeitgeist>" and I'd think in a class room with college age kids the shitshow of arguing about whether those movies have genuine ideology or not is all the more likely to get ugly.

Sorry to Bother You is also pretty clear about its ideology
Green Book is a sappy terrible film intended to assuage white guilt about the treatment of African Americans with a schlocky "See, we can all learn from each other?" story made even worse by attempts to graft the generic story over real people/a historical figure. The other suggestions in the list are actually enjoyable to watch though. It might be worth bringing up if the kids can remember the giant Oscars stink over this movie a few years ago.
The Big Short has clear messages about the moral rot of the financial sector, though might be a bit boring for them but stars actors they'll recognize.
Jordan Peele's Get Out is still in the 5 year window too.

The later Purge movies (like The First Purge) wear their ideology on their sleeve and also turned into decent thrillers. They're now about a corrupt government murdering people in the streets and framing the poor for it as an excuse to continue to crack down and distract from a failing society. Yeah I know I just said stay away from franchise films, but the purge carved a weird niche, the studio just wanted to keep churning out sequels and didn't seem to pay attention to who they left minding the shop, and then the actual good purge movies with commentary got popular so it has changed its focus.

He probably can't show Sorry to bother you to teenage students, what with all the swearing, drug use and man-horse cock.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I’m not sure I understand the prompt at all, but why not Moonlight, or Widows, or Sicario? At the very least, please don’t do any of the ones you said.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Mad Max: Fury Road

e: It turns 5 in May 2020.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 6, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Do 6 Underground, OP

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

General Dog posted:

Do 6 Underground, OP

Sounds like a joke but 6 Underground has the ideology of "CIA-backed coups in South America are actually good but need fewer laws."

What a poo poo movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

sean10mm posted:

Mad Max: Fury Road

e: It turns 5 in May 2020.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Like, it's teenagers, there are plenty of good choices for this requirement but none of them will be as effective as Mad Max: Fury Road.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah I don’t get this take of movies being not very ideological lately, if anything it’s gotten more and more blatant.

If you need something SFW but also want to incite a discussion, you can really open a can of worms by showing Zootopia - a movie that, in its efforts to be antiracist, becomes absurdly racist.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah I don’t get this take of movies being not very ideological lately, if anything it’s gotten more and more blatant.

If you need something SFW but also want to incite a discussion, you can really open a can of worms by showing Zootopia - a movie that, in its efforts to be antiracist, becomes absurdly racist.

Remember how your introduction to satire was 'A Modest Proposal'? The issue isn't movies don't have an agenda, it's just OP needs the hugely obvious hits the kids over the head sort of thing. Where the movie says 'this is about x'
Like Zootopia, is very obvious for it's antiracism message, but I think you're arguing more that it's flawed.
In the same way I think most posters here would argue Wonder Woman had a very clear neocon and reactionary warhawk ideology thinly masked as 'feminist' but that's a bit too complex a take for an intro class imo.

Majkol posted:

He probably can't show Sorry to bother you to teenage students, what with all the swearing, drug use and man-horse cock.
I assumed it was college kids, but yeah high schoolers or younger probably shouldn't be shown any of those movies from my list.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I don't think you can get any more blatantly ideological than the end of BlacKKKlansman.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I’m not sure I understand the prompt at all, but why not Moonlight, or Widows, or Sicario? At the very least, please don’t do any of the ones you said.

A good comparison would be Sicario vs Sicario 2.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Inzombiac posted:

Sounds like a joke but 6 Underground has the ideology of "CIA-backed coups in South America are actually good but need fewer laws."

What a poo poo movie.

Yeah, I'm just saying it's a good example of a movie that wears its ideology on its sleeve.

Elysium is a good baby's first political allegory, but that's 2013.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Captain Jesus posted:

I think Parasite or Okja by Bong Joon-ho would be good choices.

Seconding this, although both films ultimately undercut their ostensible ideologies

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

General Dog posted:

Yeah, I'm just saying it's a good example of a movie that wears its ideology on its sleeve.

Elysium is a good baby's first political allegory, but that's 2013.

Yeah district 9 or snowpiercer would be great too, but they've also aged out of the window.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Too bad American Sniper is aged out, it's pretty blatant. Same with Pandora's Promise, though it's a documentary and makes no claims to impartiality.

Pervert's Guide to Ideology is too old, but drat if that wouldn't be a great meta commentary on the whole assignment.

13 Hours is only four years old and it's got Vilerat in it.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the responses so far.

I'm gonna draw the line at films made in 2016 to be safe. The rule says within 5 years, but who knows when in 2015 they draw that line? The rule is a terrible idea and ambiguous so I'll play it safe. I'd hate to get kids through this course for them to fail due to an utterly bullshit technicality.

So Mad Max is out. Unfortunately 'cos that'd be great fun!

Also, please bear in mind these are teenagers. Seniors mind you, so I can get away with some explicit content, but I don't necessarily want to go hog wild either. That also means that yeah, I want something which beats the audience over the head with the ideology rather than a few casual references (which is why out of the movies I first listed, I was leaning towards Ghostbusters, even though it's...an amazingly bad film)

I'm going to re-watch Moonlight 'cos that's a good contender (albiet I'm concerned about how graphic the content is. From memory, there wasn't anything TOO intense, but I always like to double check). Widows and Parasite also look like good options too so I'll watch those.

Always happy for more recommendations :)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Parasite and moonlight both have on screen but obscured hand job scenes.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Joker is ideological

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Maybe captive state? I haven't seen it but Slavoj Zizek liked it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

First reformed

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Literally any movie except the ones you mentioned OP. Just watch parasite or joker

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was gonna say Perverts Guide to Ideology but it’s already 7 years old.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Personally, I feel like Joker made efforts to kinda avoid being ideological.

They mention a lot of things (EG: The riots etc.) but it makes an effort to keep the focus on the character of The Joker himself. When asked if he wanted to create a movement or whatever, Joker said "No." I think the commentary on capitalism, devaluing mental health, rich vs. poor etc. were all the framework to set up a plausible fall-from-grace character arc, but the film wanted to just be a character study.

That doesn't prevent it from being ideological ('cos there's a LOT in there), but I'd rather pull apart a movie which was overtly, from the outset, trying to be ideological. I'll put it on the list of movies to watch and have another look 'cos I know there's a fair bit in it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
What the gently caress does "ideological" mean? Every movie is ideological. Anyways: you can show them Dragged Across Concrete, it's basically just a three hour apologia for racism. Or Knives Out, which is basically about how rich people suck. Or The Souvenir, which is about how heroin is bad. Or Transit. Transit would be good.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
God's Not Dead 2

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

H13 posted:

Personally, I feel like Joker made efforts to kinda avoid being ideological.

They mention a lot of things (EG: The riots etc.) but it makes an effort to keep the focus on the character of The Joker himself. When asked if he wanted to create a movement or whatever, Joker said "No." I think the commentary on capitalism, devaluing mental health, rich vs. poor etc. were all the framework to set up a plausible fall-from-grace character arc, but the film wanted to just be a character study.

That doesn't prevent it from being ideological ('cos there's a LOT in there), but I'd rather pull apart a movie which was overtly, from the outset, trying to be ideological. I'll put it on the list of movies to watch and have another look 'cos I know there's a fair bit in it.

You just dismissed a movie with a very clear ideological message as 'just a framing' I'm not sure I know what you mean by ideological movie anymore.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cats

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What the gently caress does "ideological" mean?

OP seems to be straightforwardly looking for something like "the film makers are consciously and explicitly making use of a prima facie political system of ideas (or prima facie political idea which is part of a political system of ideas) to guide the creation of a film." The sort of stuff that someone who imagines most of the world (and most movies) as apolitical would nevertheless easily see as political.

I think Okja is a good choice because it conforms the desired understanding of 'ideological', is an actually good movie, and is accessible on Netflix which a good number of students will likely have access to.

I think it would be cool to give that class Cats, tell them it was ideological but not how, and ask them to figure it out for themselves. You'd probably get some great answers.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Hand Knit posted:

OP seems to be straightforwardly looking for something like "the film makers are consciously and explicitly making use of a prima facie political system of ideas (or prima facie political idea which is part of a political system of ideas) to guide the creation of a film." The sort of stuff that someone who imagines most of the world (and most movies) as apolitical would nevertheless easily see as political.

I think Okja is a good choice because it conforms the desired understanding of 'ideological', is an actually good movie, and is accessible on Netflix which a good number of students will likely have access to.

I think it would be cool to give that class Cats, tell them it was ideological but not how, and ask them to figure it out for themselves. You'd probably get some great answers.

Yeah do the Cats thing plz

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

Bingo. Something as blatant as "Life Of Brian." Not so much something with a "hidden" meaning, but more something that you watch and go: "Sheesh, tell us what you really think"

On second thought, Joker is probably in with a shout there 'cos even though I think it tries hard to be a character study, it's pretty blatant with its "eat the rich" theme

quote:

This would be freaking hysterical, but I do try to avoid traumatising my students.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Apologies for the double post.

However I just watched Okja. It was a fantastic film and if you haven't seen it, go watch it.

And the way it handles ideology is perfect. It's obvious, but also an organic part of the story. It's the EXACT sort of movie I'm looking for!

...but HOLY gently caress there are some scenes in that I couldn't show. The pig rape? The slaughterhouse scene? Oh drat.

Please do not interpret that as though I am hating on the film. Those disturbing scenes are the entire point of the film and the film is better off for having them. Which also means I couldn't do a sneaky edit and maintain the film's integrity.

However I would rather not have a class worth of angry parent phone calls wanting to know why their kid has decided to go vegan.

Good suggestions though, and I hope this gives another good reference point for what I'm looking for.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
This whole thing is misguided because ideology is at its purest in films that are ostensibly non-ideological.

What you are asking for, instead, are just political films.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Yeah, anything by Michael Bay oughtta do the trick.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
bright (2017)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

H13 posted:

Apologies for the double post.

However I just watched Okja. It was a fantastic film and if you haven't seen it, go watch it.

And the way it handles ideology is perfect. It's obvious, but also an organic part of the story. It's the EXACT sort of movie I'm looking for!

...but HOLY gently caress there are some scenes in that I couldn't show. The pig rape? The slaughterhouse scene? Oh drat.

Please do not interpret that as though I am hating on the film. Those disturbing scenes are the entire point of the film and the film is better off for having them. Which also means I couldn't do a sneaky edit and maintain the film's integrity.

However I would rather not have a class worth of angry parent phone calls wanting to know why their kid has decided to go vegan.

Good suggestions though, and I hope this gives another good reference point for what I'm looking for.

Oh, I suppose that might be an issue. Maybe 2018's The Favourite might be a better shot. It even involves the monarchy, which makes it respectable.

e: randomly going through a list of movies from the google search "top movies 2018" also reminds me of Shoplifters, which is also a great pick assuming your students aren't scared off by subtitles. Same goes for Roma (which should be on Netflix), and Capernaum.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hand Knit posted:

Oh, I suppose that might be an issue. Maybe 2018's The Favourite might be a better shot. It even involves the monarchy, which makes it respectable.

This thread is 90% movies with handjob scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

This thread is 90% movies with handjob scenes

Yes but they're very tastefully done. And, again, involves the monarchy.