Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Rarity posted:

I just watched Lion's Break Collision and it was a fun way to spend half an hour with fun matches but the absolute highlight was the LA Dojo boys shilling magic Japanese soap

It had some big Mr Sparkle energy to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Look, I was trying to get people to appease BUSHI with applause and adulation and nobody did it and now he's out for blood. :shrug:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Rarity posted:

I just watched Lion's Break Collision and it was a fun way to spend half an hour with fun matches but the absolute highlight was the LA Dojo boys shilling magic Japanese soap

magic japanese melamine sponges known by the name of their corporate mascot GEKIOCHI-KUN to be exact. i own one and have used it as my twitter avatar for three years ever since buying it at the first long beach show. if you're wondering why i bought a sponge at a wrestling show, my choices were either that for three dollars or a bullet club hunter t shirt.

https://mtckitchen.com/gekiochi-kun-stain-removing-sponge/

Thauros fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 4, 2020

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
wow why didn't you stand with Yoshitatsu you COWARD

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
gently caress BUSHI.

'Cause of the injuries but also just kinda generally.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
https://twitter.com/thesuperjcast/status/1279329550229368832?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

noooooo

That is lovely. NJ Cup really bad for CHAOS huh? Between YOH & YH

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Man, awful luck :smith:

I’ll miss my swole toilet man.

I guess they now kinda have to commit to that SHO singles push, plus maybe when YOH comes back he can be put in the singles mix proper too if his tag partner has already moved on so to say

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

:cry:YOH:cry:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Will they ever rebrand SHO and YOH? I'm picturing one tagging with someone else, and it's really funny.

Are SHO and YOH acronyms? What the hell do those names mean, anyhow?

Fake edit: Googled it. Apparently real or shortened versions of real first names. I also learned Taiji Ishimori is 5'4.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Will they ever rebrand SHO and YOH? I'm picturing one tagging with someone else, and it's really funny.

Are SHO and YOH acronyms? What the hell do those names mean, anyhow?

Fake edit: Googled it. Apparently real or shortened versions of real first names. I also learned Taiji Ishimori is 5'4.

Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu are their real names. As for why they are all capitalised & in Latin letters, I dunno, just a thing the Japanese like to do.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

SHO is joining the Beef division and YOH will eventually take over from Okada as God of New Japan.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I actually dont see how its possible that they can run bosj without the borders miraculously opening or trying to get outside japanese talent which they havent been keen on for a few years

Available juniors are Hiromu, SHO, Master Wato, Douki, Despy, Nobu, bushi, taguchi, ishimori, gedo, jado and uemura. There is also tiger mask but im not sure of his fitness state.

So thats 13 wrestlers including tiger mask, a young lion and jado who is probably not actually capable of wrestling a tournament and gedo who is pretty bad these days.

The junior tag division is more in the bin than normal.

Im probably missing someone obvious on my list of juniors.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

They would 100% need to use some Japanese freelancers.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

gabriel kidd is billed at 90 kilos so they could use him, but yeah they'd def either need some freelancers or go to a reduced size tourney

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Just add Suzuki.

Some idiot: "But you're a heavyweight! This is a tournament of Jr. Heavyweights! It's called 'The best of the Super Juniors'"

Suzuki: "Are you saying I'm not super, junior?"

>Furious asskicking commences<

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

only six of the guys in last year's 20 man tournament could be booked with no issues as of now: Ishimori, SHO, Kanemaru, Taguchi, BUSHI, and DOUKI

breakdown of the other 14;

2 moved up to heavyweight (one overseas anyway):shingo, ospreay
2 currently injured: yoh, tiger mask iv
4 gaijin trapped overseas that would be obvious inclusions if they could travel:rocky, phantasmo, dragon lee, robbie eagles
3 guests of partner feds trapped overseas that couldn't be replaced with any equivalent guys who aren't as well:titan, bandido, jonathan gresham
1 guest of partner fed trapped overseas who is also now highly problematic tho who knows if they'd care: marty scurll
1 YL on excursion: ren narita
1 guy who hasn't appeared on a new japan show in any capacity since leaving midway through the tour due to inury:taka

hiromu and despy have returned from their injuries, wato just came back from excursion, and you have two possible young lions who could be thrown in there to replace narita tho uemura now looks almost as much of a stretch as tsuji. still leaves a deficit of 9.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 4, 2020

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hiromu did an interview saying they should use outside talent (and specifically called out Daisuke Sasaki). Tatsuhito Takaiwa was recently released from ZERO1 because of their money issues and can still go if they want an old guy nostalgia pop who can slide into the Tiger Mask role (and gently caress it why not throw Otani some money to keep Z1 going so he can come in and go 50/50.) Plus Australians might be allowed in again soon so there's Robbie.

There's not really any way I see two blocks of ten this year though. Maybe keep it to 16 guys

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

catching up on the NJ cup now English commentary. At one point in Hiromu / Ishii, Kevin uses the Excalibur "nobody kicks out of the Falcon Arrow" call :)

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Just on what will they do with YOH if SHO is off doing his own thing. An ACL injury is going to take 9 to 12 months to recover from. By then there will be some form of travel between countries. So they could do a team of YOH and Robbie. Robbie better get on the gas so he can look his best in the sexy photo books if he is going to team with YOH.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/ZePoolio/status/1279128325475065856

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Just on what will they do with YOH if SHO is off doing his own thing. An ACL injury is going to take 9 to 12 months to recover from. By then there will be some form of travel between countries. So they could do a team of YOH and Robbie. Robbie better get on the gas so he can look his best in the sexy photo books if he is going to team with YOH.

I was just thinking they have SHO beat Shingo next week but Godamn SHO + Robbie Eagles would be dope

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/puffinbrain/status/1279441866266533890

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lamuella posted:

catching up on the NJ cup now English commentary. At one point in Hiromu / Ishii, Kevin uses the Excalibur "nobody kicks out of the Falcon Arrow" call :)

Speaking of the English commentary, my friend and I busted up laughing at Kevin's calls to deport DOUKI.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

E: terrible joke

naM sdrawkcaB fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 4, 2020

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I can easily see no BOSJ this year and going with more JR's in the G1 to make sure they fill out the blocks for that

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Run vignettes where Ishii has to cut weight to make the junior limit then put it back on for G1, but have his weight stay exactly the same in both tournaments.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Run vignettes where Ishii has to cut weight to make the junior limit then put it back on for G1, but have his weight stay exactly the same in both tournaments.

This, but make them exact remakes of the time Matt Hardy did this.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

https://twitter.com/maitsuya2/status/1279203191452839942

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Get in on the ground floor of Wato-Gun while you can.

Wato-Gun Ichiban

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Douki is an oddly perfect first opponent for Master Wato. Partly because they have such contrasting but mirroring styles and stories (Wato did the dojo system, went to Mexico, then came back into a company approved role, Douki wrestled in Mexico in smaller, more outlaw promotions and had to fight his way onto a New Japan card, Wato has all the dojo training, Douki is a wild brawler with a big metal pipe) but also because Wato could go over Douki without it either costing Douki anything or looking like too much of a milk run.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's a super goofy gimmick but I feel like Wato has enough oddball charisma to make it work.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I've already gotten more enjoyment out of it than I expected to get from his return, so whatever happens next is just a bonus for me

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Benne posted:

It's a super goofy gimmick but I feel like Wato has enough oddball charisma to make it work.

The drunken master thing might be the way to go, but it would require him to be able to work it in-ring, AND do so in a way that doesn't step on Kanemaru or Yano's toes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The most dangerous man in New Japan

https://i.imgur.com/mHhdt3M.mp4

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Hiromu did an interview saying they should use outside talent (and specifically called out Daisuke Sasaki). Tatsuhito Takaiwa was recently released from ZERO1 because of their money issues and can still go if they want an old guy nostalgia pop who can slide into the Tiger Mask role (and gently caress it why not throw Otani some money to keep Z1 going so he can come in and go 50/50.) Plus Australians might be allowed in again soon so there's Robbie.

There's not really any way I see two blocks of ten this year though. Maybe keep it to 16 guys

If Japan has loosened restrictions (which I haven’t seen officially) then some of the UK-located guys may be able to get back sooner than later - Ospreay and Juice primarily since they’re contracted and likely sponsored by NJPW - but I doubt anyone is able to come from the US. Rocky maybe, depends on his status, but it doesn’t seem like non-Japanese US based talent could get back anytime soon.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

harperdc posted:

If Japan has loosened restrictions (which I haven’t seen officially) then some of the UK-located guys may be able to get back sooner than later - Ospreay and Juice primarily since they’re contracted and likely sponsored by NJPW - but I doubt anyone is able to come from the US. Rocky maybe, depends on his status, but it doesn’t seem like non-Japanese US based talent could get back anytime soon.

Those four countries are the only ones I've seen mentioned and the UK is absolutely not a place we should be letting people in from

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Restrictions are still in place from the UK to Japan, but not vice versa

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/japan

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lid posted:

The most dangerous man in New Japan

https://i.imgur.com/mHhdt3M.mp4

This man has injured two already. Who knows when he will strike again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Phantasmo left the UK and went back to Canada when it became clear that the UK was going to be a shitshow. And Australia has been handling things pretty well so I'd imagine it'd be pretty easy to get Eagles in too. Maybe have Zack compete in a BoSJ as well seeing as he fits the weight limit