Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/Alan4L/status/1214249957202518016?s=20

Such a class act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Can I get a no apologies indication of how quickly I need to watch NYD, thanks :)

Watch it! Prepare for tears with the Liger retirement

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Rarity posted:

If KENTA was catching up with Wrestle Kingdom he wouldn't post his reactions. Don't be KENTA.

To be fair, BEING KENTA seems like a lot of fun. It's dealing with KENTA, as anyone else, that sucks rear end.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
*catching up on NYD* BEEF. BEEF. BEEF. BEEF. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEF

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Meanwhile Switchblade does post his reactions but they're all just him being edgy by supporting Bullet Club and saying they should have all the belts

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rarity posted:

Meanwhile Switchblade does post his reactions but they're all just him being edgy by supporting Bullet Club and saying they should have all the belts

I can’t believe several of us are Jay White, including potentially me.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

im jay white for sure

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Redundant posted:

I've started to make a dent in the enormous pile of greasy men fighting that is/was Wrestle Kingdom 14. After some opening fights from night 1 that I only half watched I started to pay attention properly just as the commentators were talking about never making eye contact with Minoru Suzuki who immediately started attacking people with a chair. Good times. Everyone loves a guy who looks like a genuine psycho! It was also good to see a Brit involved and maybe it's entirely home nation bias but Zach Sabre Jr was probably the highlight of the match for me. I'm looking forward to seeing him v Sanada in the title match from the next night now.

The mostly naked lady outside of the next 8 man tag with Bullet Club really added that "hopefully nobody notices me watching this" factor to proceedings. Toru Yano brought some comedy to things with Bad Luck Fale to balance out the vaguely sleazy vibe though. The "holy poo poo!" from the commentators after the Fale suplex was also great.

I will probably stop cluttering threads with random opinions of matches everyone has seen and knows more than me about now, I'm just feeling pretty hyped for the wrestle mans at the moment.

:justpost:

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Can I get a no apologies indication of how quickly I need to watch NYD, thanks :)

Right loving now.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Watching now, just got through the retirement and probably my favorite part was Yano cheesing completely for the pictures. :haw:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

dash was p. good

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Watching now, just got through the retirement and probably my favorite part was Yano cheesing completely for the pictures. :haw:

you will enjoy this show

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

He was so serious too, then the camera hits him.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Watching the Young Lions now and I'm curious, who are the next crop due to come back from excursion? Are they good? How long are excursions typically? Shooter is the first to leave from this group, isn't he?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tanahashi and Ibushi going after the tag titles years after everyone gave up on Tanahashi ever elevating the tag titles is some wild poo poo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Watching the Young Lions now and I'm curious, who are the next crop due to come back from excursion? Are they good? How long are excursions typically? Shooter is the first to leave from this group, isn't he?

So currently we're waiting for the return of Hirai Kawato (he's in Mexico & just lost a hair vs hair match on January 1st which suggests that he'll be back in the next few months, maybe even just after Fantsticamania) who left for CMLL in February 2018. I only started watching in 2018 but the impression I got at the time was that people were very big on Kawato. He was part of a class on Lions who kinda fell apart, the Swole Vampire Kitamura being one of them who mysteriously vanished with rumours about a motorcycle crash or something else just before he was due to go on excursion. People were talking about him as one of the best Young Lions ever but he had a pretty rough time in Mexico and seemed to struggle to adapt.

The other one is Tomoyuki Oka who also left in 2018, he went to England in June or July that year. His excursion will probably be extended because he kinda fell off the face of the earth last year for about 6 months because of some sort of family problems that meant he went back to Japan. He is wrestling Shota Umino in Portsmouth later this month for Rev Pro and it probably won't make tape which makes me sad. I like Oka's look

But the best thing about him is high quality Instagram posts like: https://www.instagram.com/p/B6ZCVITpYVa/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 6, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I gave no shits about Oka as a young lion, beyond how funny his anime obsession is, but I absolutely adore him as the Great O-Karn. He went from someone who I thought looked terminally goony to someone who makes a great monster heel.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Shooter is doing pretty well so far in RevPro. He's mostly doing undercard matches at the moment but he's only been here for a few months. He's got some strong Young-Tanahashi vibes going on so I can see him doing very well. To the extent where I wouldn't be surprised if he's given the RPW title at some point (although that would be an awkward situation for NJPW to explain given how the title is shown fairly often on NJPW shows). Ren Narita is working in the US primarily on the West Coast so he can train with Shibata as well as do his excursion. Haven't seen much of his US stuff but he was the other big prospect of that group. Given how good the LA Dojo guys are and how good Narita was before leaving, I can only see good things coming from this.

Oka has a monster heel gimmick in RPW as The Great O-Kharn which is pretty great. However, I'm not sure how well that gimmick would translate back to Japan. Especially since he's got Lord Gideon Gray to do his talking for him rather than having to do promos himself

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Shooter is doing pretty well so far in RevPro. He's mostly doing undercard matches at the moment but he's only been here for a few months. He's got some strong Young-Tanahashi vibes going on so I can see him doing very well. To the extent where I wouldn't be surprised if he's given the RPW title at some point (although that would be an awkward situation for NJPW to explain given how the title is shown fairly often on NJPW shows). Ren Narita is working in the US primarily on the West Coast so he can train with Shibata as well as do his excursion. Haven't seen much of his US stuff but he was the other big prospect of that group. Given how good the LA Dojo guys are and how good Narita was before leaving, I can only see good things coming from this.

Oka has a monster heel gimmick in RPW as The Great O-Kharn which is pretty great. However, I'm not sure how well that gimmick would translate back to Japan. Especially since he's got Lord Gideon Gray to do his talking for him rather than having to do promos himself

Okay so I'm not nuts in thinking that this crop (including the LA Bois) seems to be really loving good (potentially)? This is the first time I've really been actively following NJPW so I don't know for sure.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

They’re a good crop for sure

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

coconono posted:

Will is cool now. He finally defeated his longtime nemesis Public Speaking and is now feuding with Neck.

Neck is feuding with so many wrestlers right now and I love it. Push Neck.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Okay so I'm not nuts in thinking that this crop (including the LA Bois) seems to be really loving good (potentially)? This is the first time I've really been actively following NJPW so I don't know for sure.

You're not, but at the same time this is not unusual.

In 2016-18 they ran some shows at Shinjuku Face called Lion's Gate Project. There's only 13 of them but I really enjoyed them for what they were, smaller shows with outside talent that was there to give the Young Lions ringtime they'd not get on a normal show. The first show had a NOAH vs New Japan thing going on and so you get Young Lion Jay White against Yoshinari Ogawa, Young Lion David Finlay against Taiji Ishimori, Ryusuke Taguchi vs Young Boy Kaito Kiyomiya, or the wonderful amazing beautiful Katsuhiko Nakajima against Juice Robinson who was in that weird half-way place between Young Lion & senior that he had after being cut by NXT.

Actually, I'm talking myself into rewatching this first show, that lineup is dope.

I really wish they'd bring back Lion's Gate Project shows.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 6, 2020

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just want more interactions between Moxley and The Panty Dropper Shooter.

https://twitter.com/FightfulWrestle/status/1155721839139786753

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spikegal posted:

I just want more interactions between Moxley and The Panty Dropper Shooter.

https://twitter.com/FightfulWrestle/status/1155721839139786753

Same. :(

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shooter will be the first to traverse the forbidden portal

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

People's impressions of Young Lions don't always match the end result anyway, obviously. I remember hearing that people were like 'who gives a poo poo' about Okada when he came back and uh... now he's Okada.

Naito's story isn't really about him as a Young Lion but its another good example of someone leaving as a dud and coming back to be a star.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

dromal phrenia posted:

Naito's story isn't really about him as a Young Lion but its another good example of someone leaving as a dud and coming back to be a star.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Who's the dud now?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Barring any freak bullshit this current crop are definitely going to produce a whole bunch of megastars.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

coconono posted:

Will is cool now. He finally defeated his longtime nemesis Public Speaking and is now feuding with Neck.

We need a Will/Kota match where the last one with functioning vertebrae loses.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Naito's face in that picture is hilarious.

When is KENTA-Naito happening and the double murder of Moxley-Suzuki?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Still watching and holy Christ poor Robbie Eagles :stonk:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Post about the thing Foochs

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Still watching and holy Christ poor Robbie Eagles :stonk:

Serves him right for turning on his good friends in Bullet Club :colbert:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I poured all my heart and love into Kitamura and he fell apart. I blame myself. So i will not be stanning any Young Lions until the return from excursion.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

extradite THIS! posted:

Post about the thing Foochs

JON MOXLEY SAYS gently caress YOUR FLIGHT HOME, I GOT DEATH RIDERS TO GIVE

AAAAAAAA

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Lamuella posted:

We need a Will/Kota match where the last one with functioning vertebrae loses.

I feel like both of their big 2019 matches could be somewhat described this way. especially the WK13 one.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

almost certainly new beginningin osaka in 2/9 for the former.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

gently caress guys, of my friends from Seattle died. He was the one that showed me my first ever Wrestle Kingdom. The one where Devitt came out of the coffin.

You're watching with Baba now, Lenny.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

gently caress guys, of my friends from Seattle died. He was the one that showed me my first ever Wrestle Kingdom. The one where Devitt came out of the coffin.

Holy poo poo dude I'm so sorry. You know I'm here if you need anything.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Probably on the New Beginning shows. I'd imagine IWGP HW match at Osaka & US title match maybe at one of the Sapporo shows.

There's apparently a press conference at 6am GMT and I guess we might find out some more?

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Sorry for your loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean logically the US title match would be on like the Miami show, but I suppose that depends on if Big Tony is cool with it.