Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
i liked when he went nuts with balloons and died his hair blood red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

take the moon posted:

i liked when he went nuts with balloons and died his hair blood red

SCOOBY-DOOBY-DO!!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
My biggest issue with Okada right now is they spent 6 years building him as strongly as you possibly could right from his debut, and now he doesn't know how to do anything that isn't related to the IWGP title. From his first win in 2012 to when he lost the belt to Kenny in 2018, there were only 10 IWGP championship matches that didn't involve him, and 6 of them were from the Tanahashi reign where he won it back at Dominion 2012. Any time he would lose the belt, he'd usually have a stopgap feud or two or slum it in the multimans for a tour before getting back on the title hunt, or win the G1/NJC and get another shot. After Kenny beat him he went crazy, and that was great, but his weird dismissiveness about the IC title this time just kind of makes him feel like a sore loser who doesn't want his toy back until Naito's stinky white belt is gone. Maybe the whole point is he's supposed to be acting childish with no belt to fight for but it doesn't feel anywhere near as intentional as the balloon stuff last time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I agree and it's concerning. Because, to GWB's point, his last turn WITH the belt wasn't so great either.

It's also concerning that his big idea of what to do away from the belt was KOPW, which is already a total nothing afterthought.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I like pretty Okada and I'm fine with him having 15 minute matches just loving about.

He's probably gonna try to wrestle that KOPW trophy away from Yano, right?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

MJeff posted:

I agree and it's concerning. Because, to GWB's point, his last turn WITH the belt wasn't so great either.
after winning the belt from jay white (4.5), okada defended against sanada twice (4.75 and 4.0), one against jericho (4.25), then he had the g1, then a match against suzuki (4.5), then finally beat ibushi (5.75) and lost the belt to naito (5.0)

i think the jericho match may be rated a little too highly, but i think i would call this a great run

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

If you were disappointed in Okada's last run it probably has more to do with Okada being matched up against SANADA for half the reign.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
not to be unchill but i think its clear mjeff has slightly harsher standards than most of us

which is fine

new gimmick ideas for okada:
-hobo
-pirate
-jedi knight

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

gonna come back to this point in the thread after okada racks up 6 MOTYC nominations in the g1

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

JOHN CENA posted:

gonna come back to this point in the thread after okada racks up 6 MOTYC nominations in the g1

It's going to be the new "midcarder who hasn't done poo poo"

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Okada successfully elevated Yoshi hashi during this never trios series. That's not a super easy job.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
tbh when the rando match suggester at recommended+ brings up a match involving yh i watch that poo poo

its like dreaming kind of

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I like YH too but the trios series Okada and Ishii obviously went out of their way to put over their opponents. It was just good wrestling.

I also just want to remind the thread that Okada v SANADA sold out sumo hall during a typhoon. It's not always about great matches to bushiroad lol

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Okada's last reign was good it just wasn't up to his earlier reigns which were amazing. But Okada has also very much half assesed some his matches since the company has started up, with some of his New Japan cup matches being real suspect (Hi the match with Ishimori). And while he's not doubt hurting I think Okada was also hurt by the lack of crowds/no crowd noise as it's his ability to time spots to crowd reaction which makes him amazing in the ring.

His run in the 6 man tourney (and in the KOPW 4 way, which while silly was a well done silly) shows that he's finally starting to adapt to the new status quo so I expect a good to great G1 from him

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

If you weren't in the main event scene for a little while, why wouldn't you take it easy for a few months and work piss breaks with yujiro and gedo

cams
Mar 28, 2003

SatoshiMiwa posted:

some of his New Japan cup matches being real suspect (Hi the match with Ishimori)
i have mostly enjoyed midcard okada's matches, but i will say this one in particular was a disappointment. had high expectations but it was just "fine".

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

cams posted:

i have mostly enjoyed midcard okada's matches, but i will say this one in particular was a disappointment. had high expectations but it was just "fine".

Same. Should have been a barn burner.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Ishimori match was a huge disappointment and the EVIL match was pretty rough but I think that's been proven to be more on EVIL trying to find his main event style than anything else. To me the biggest shame was the Hiromu match though which was good but nowhere near as good as it should have been. But a lot of this is down to his Money Clip obsession screwing up his finishing sequences and to me that's a very clear narrative choice so it doesn't reflect on Okada as a wrestler.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Trying to establish a submission finisher is a good idea but the money clip sucks

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Neodoomium posted:

Trying to establish a submission finisher is a good idea but the money clip sucks

In the questions thread i got a chance to link Steve Austin's cobra clutch and its offensive how much better it is.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The ishimori match was poor because Okada is about a foot taller than ishimori and Gedo neither wanted Okada to wrestle heel or to look in danger one on one so we got a weird match

I did get entertained by Okada acting strange after the match though so there was that

The only way an Okada v ishimori match works in NJPW is if Okada is the heel for it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I wanna state right now that I never said Okada was gonna have a bad G1 and I'm pretty sure his G1 will be, at worst, pretty good by his standards because the block he's in is too stacked for it not to be and I imagine he'll probably still put on his working boots for important stuff (be nice if he considered Ishimori and Hiromu "important stuff" though!). So in a month don't go trying to ascribe a buncha crap I never said to me.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Okada will have the consensus 5th or 6th best G1 out of the Block A guys which is by no means bad given the level of talent in there but is not best in the world level.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Okada has his glowing coat which means he is the best

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Okada will have the consensus 5th or 6th best G1 out of the Block A guys which is by no means bad given the level of talent in there but is not best in the world level.

Of course we can agree that number 1 and 2 will be Switchblade and Taichi.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Seams posted:

Okada has his glowing coat which means he is the best

MJeff posted:

Of course we can agree that number 1 and 2 will be Switchblade and Taichi.

Not in that order though

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
i dont think theres any need to switch that order aha ha

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
have the next okada storyline be that okada gets a dog and teaches it to wrestle

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Do you people think Taichi had a bad G1 last year? His Moxley match was basically a squash, and I thought only the Ishii, Yano, and Naito matches were memorable. I'm sure he's going to have a much better one this time around, seeing that this year he's wrestled Okada and held his own, and even beat both Tanahashi and Ibushi in the NJC.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The match with Mox included the spot where Mox put him through a table and then blew a kiss to a TERRIFIED Miho so it was a good match

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Schneider Heim posted:

Do you people think Taichi had a bad G1 last year? His Moxley match was basically a squash, and I thought only the Ishii, Yano, and Naito matches were memorable. I'm sure he's going to have a much better one this time around, seeing that this year he's wrestled Okada and held his own, and even beat both Tanahashi and Ibushi in the NJC.

He didn't get many points but the matches were good. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at 10 or even 12 points this year.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Taichi is a main event heel now so he'll definitely get double digit points.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lost in the excitement for G1, another tournament

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1305688725158899712?s=20

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

interesting that connors is in but not coughlin

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I haven't been keeping up on my Strong but I heard Christian is, as the kids say, Lit.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

coughlin hasn't been booked since the time limit draw on one of the lions break shows. Gonna assume he's injured. Darren Young returns Friday to face PJ Black in a Tag Match. Has the other Riegel twin been on any of the shows?

never mind, he hasnt been booked since he lost to Tom Lawlor (who also hasnt been booked)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

also the card for friday's show is out which is one week before the torunament starts:

Road to LION'S BREAK: CROWN
September 18th at 22:00 EDT/03:00 BST
unknown venue

Limelight, Connors, Riegel, and Quest vs. Brown, Clearwater, Christian, and The DKC
Rocky Romero and PJ Black vs. Fred Rosser and Misterioso
ACH and Alex Zayne vs. G.o.D

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

TriffTshngo posted:

He didn't get many points but the matches were good. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at 10 or even 12 points this year.

Yeah I guess I should clarify that "bad" meant "not a lot of points" as opposed to "had bad matches", sorry

Strawberry Panda posted:

Taichi is a main event heel now so he'll definitely get double digit points.

I'm sorry but Taichi is a face??

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

coughlin hasn't been booked since the time limit draw on one of the lions break shows. Gonna assume he's injured. Darren Young returns Friday to face PJ Black in a Tag Match. Has the other Riegel twin been on any of the shows?

never mind, he hasnt been booked since he lost to Tom Lawlor (who also hasnt been booked)

I think the other twin went to the UK to work shows there just before the pandemic hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/EvanDeadlySinsW/status/1305711507397849088?s=20