Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MJeff posted:

Outta curiosity, has anybody been going back and watching Kevin Kelly's commentary after he's uploaded for the New Japan CUp?

I watched one. It's fine. It's just Kevin by himself and they do a lazy job with the audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Super No Vacancy posted:

a handy guide to the evil gimmick

gear: evil
hair: evil
eye shadow: evil
laser finger gloves: evil
robe: evil
catchphrase: evil
matches: evil
scythe: evil
spinny pentagram gimmick: evil
dumb spot where he puts a chair on the guys neck and hits it with another chair: evil

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
the scythe looks cheap. everything else about evil is cool

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

if evil had a real scythe made out of metal, and magic, he would probably become the japanese prime minister immediately. and we dont want that. the plastic scythe is his limiter.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

Outta curiosity, has anybody been going back and watching Kevin Kelly's commentary after he's uploaded for the New Japan CUp?

In one of the matches with DOUKI (either at ringside or in the match, can't remember) he gets really mad and shouts "Deport DOUKI!" and I busted up laughing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

I watched one. It's fine. It's just Kevin by himself and they do a lazy job with the audio.

Yeah, if you've watched any of the retro stuff Kevin's done on World, it's about the same, except for a full show instead of random main events from the last decade or so.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

After two years of studying Japanese I can now understand enough to get the gist of the commentary so I'm never going back to English. Kelly's mediocre and a chud to boot so good riddance. I will miss Charlton though.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Master Wato's a dork and I love him but the problem is he's up against DOUKI who is also a dork that I love and I don't want to choose between them.

Taffy Torpedo fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 8, 2020

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

choose wato. choose douki. choose waikiki 5k

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Does anyone have a clip of the JESUS CHRIST! call from the Omega/Ibushi match handy? I'm having trouble finding it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DangerDummy! posted:

Does anyone have a clip of the JESUS CHRIST! call from the Omega/Ibushi match handy? I'm having trouble finding it.

I swear to God it used to be on youtube, but.

https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00490_37_10 16:30
https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00490_39_09 34:50

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah it's gone as far as I can tell. A friend of mine has been watching some of NJPW's free content and really digging it. I wanted to show him that clip.

Thank you.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's funny because they sell the poo poo out of the one to Tanahashi much more dramatically (even Red Shoes), but Tana is much more ready for it and braces most of the impact on his arms. Relatively, Omega gets absolutely drilled. Just takes the points of Ibushi's knees right into his stomach.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The combination of the move and the call was such a visceral moment, and obviously it stuck with me if it's something I'm thinking about after a couple years.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gumball Gumption posted:

The bad audio quality was why I only got about two minutes into one show and defaulted back to Japanese commentary

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
So this is just from when i was in Japan but why is Japanese website design stuck in the 90s? Every site felt like ut saw a geocities template and went "yeah that'll do".

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Lid posted:

So this is just from when i was in Japan but why is Japanese website design stuck in the 90s? Every site felt like ut saw a geocities template and went "yeah that'll do".

They still use fax machines too, so...

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The Japanese understand correctly that the best internet was pre-2000 internet and refuse to move on.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The internet peaked with the hamster dance and we should have all just stopped there

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

MJeff posted:

Those are the only ones I'm watching. Because I'm usually doing something else while I'm watching wrestling I prefer English language commentary. It means I'm a day or so behind and can't follow live, but I'm okay with that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98iJX_-lJ-Y

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:hmmyes:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sgQm_IxH6A

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/996642727541391360

Lid fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 8, 2020

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
kawato was a good underdog babyface and then he went to mexico and everything fell apart

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Kawato looked really uncomfortable for a while but eventually grew into his rudoness and improved. He ended up having really good matches with Audaz and Dulce Gardenia in the last few months of his run.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MJeff posted:

Has anybody done a joke about how Master Wato can't accept Republic Credits yet?

Oh no, he's going to need something more real, Master Wato is going to join Bullet Club.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Here's Master Wato's match against Audaz for the Lightweight Title:

https://njpwworld.com/p/s_ac_128_01_extmx

And the Hair vs Hair Match with Dulce Gardenia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D85KkwML6oM&t=7106s

The matches are nearly 6 months apart, the championship match is in July 2019 and the Hair vs. Hair was New Year's Day 2020. He made tremendous progress just in those six months.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 8, 2020

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

quote:

his hair: wato
his gear: wato
his jewelry: wato
his foot stance: wato
his spinning back kick: wato
the way that he doesn't even like to smile: wato

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Master Wato isn't the Grandmaster

Hes following the Way of the Grandmaster

Who is the Grandmaster?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

WATO MY SON

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The undead pope entrance gear may be the best thing Vampiro has ever done

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lid posted:

Master Wato isn't the Grandmaster

Hes following the Way of the Grandmaster

Who is the Grandmaster?

it's not the way of the grandmaster

It's the Way To The Grandmaster

The Wato, The Grandmaster

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lamuella posted:

it's not the way of the grandmaster

It's the Way To The Grandmaster

The Wato, The Grandmaster

*breathes in*

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Doubters begone.

Match of the Millenium right here:

https://twitter.com/cohirohiroko/status/1280830863698083841?s=19

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I do enjoy that Very Good Wrestler Suzuki doesn't give a poo poo if you're any good as a wrestler as long as you're a raging dickhole

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

oh but seriously I posted:

I do enjoy that Very Good Wrestler Suzuki doesn't give a poo poo if you're any good as a wrestler as long as you're a raging dickhole

But there's no bad wrestlers in Suzukigun?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

douki

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

I'm very glad Master Wato got such a great wrestler to has his return from excursion match with as DOUKI

DOUKI is great.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
We need the forbidden portal open ASAP so that master wato can go up against Luther

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Seams posted:

We need the forbidden portal open ASAP so that master wato can go up against Orange Cassidy