Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Hope he's OK.

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1290938623345307649?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Imagine being COVID-19 & thinking you could defeat the Once in a Century Talent? An embarrassing L for the pandemic.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

dsriggs posted:

Imagine being COVID-19 & thinking you could defeat the Once in a Century Talent? An embarrassing L for the pandemic.

One of these days Switchblade will catch Coronavirus, at which point they'll have to make the shocking announcement that Coronavirus now has herpes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Taichi > Tana

Tana > Covid

Therefore

Taichi > Covid

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/muto_keiji/status/1290961801044058114?s=19

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SANADA looking much more animated and charismatic than usual in this pic, I like it.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

the new japan themes being released on spotify and everyone suddenly remembering how match iizuka's theme rips made me wonder something: what language is the lyrics of his theme in? never been able to figure that out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XB2R1Qe6Uw

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

People in the comments say it’s Portuguese

Portuguese is always a really weird language for me. Like I can honestly identify most European languages pretty easily when I hear them but Portuguese always throws me for a loop. It’s very close to other Romance languages but the pronunciation is all kinds of weird and kinda makes it sound Slavic, but also not Slavic enough to be that?

Edit: I mean it obviously isn’t, but that’s where my mind goes first when I hear it.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 5, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gaz-L posted:

SANADA looking much more animated and charismatic than usual in this pic, I like it.

:iceburn:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

extradite THIS! posted:

Portuguese is always a really weird language for me. Like I can honestly identify most European languages pretty easily when I hear them but Portuguese always throws me for a loop. It’s very close to other Romance languages but the pronunciation is all kinds of weird and kinda makes it sound Slavic, but also not Slavic enough to be that?

Edit: I mean it obviously isn’t, but that’s where my mind goes first when I hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FxEwzSl8zU

thanks for the heads up, this is what the lyrics of his theme were taken from. and yeah, i know enough spanish to be able to sorta make sense of written portuguese but it's completely impenetrable spoken

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 5, 2020

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
In high school my friend Brian thought he wouldn't have to study Spanish because he spoke Portuguese and he of course failed.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Thauros posted:

and yeah, i know enough spanish to be able to sorta make sense of written portuguese but it's completely impenetrable spoken

Yeah I can get the gist of it with my limited French and Latin skills. I guess it’s kinda like Dutch or Danish if you know German/Swedish/Norwegian etc. Pretty readable but holy poo poo the spoken language is in a different fuckin dimension

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1291070548483571712

Interesting tease from Alvarez, wonder who he'll have one. One is probably Rocky, KENTA doesn't really have anything to do in Swamp-Corona-Land, and maybe one of the YL's from the LA Dojo.

Or maybe a surprise interview with the Skipper to discuss why the hell he's feuding with Yujiro.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Karl’s probably one of them.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

NJPW is getting really loving weird.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MJeff posted:

NJPW is getting really loving weird.

theyve done it before

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

extradite THIS! posted:

Portuguese retains quite a few phonemes from Celtic languages, whereas Spanish is much more closely related to Latin.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3935613

made a gdt for the tournament held over a korakuen quadruple shot starting tomorrow morning US time.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://www.njpw1972.com/78186

quote:

–Do people often come to you with their problems?

Ibushi: You might not think I’m the type, but the people who know me know I’m very astute. I’ve had a lot of friends come to me for advice. I’m pretty good at it! Let’s go!

e: this is the advice he gives to someone having an existential crisis

quote:

Ibushi: Well, if you look at it the other way, if I start to feel that I’m having a run of bad days, or I’m not feeling too great, I’ll make sure to do something completely opposite for a while.

–Meaning…?

Ibushi: Meaning I’ll do the exact opposite of what I’m thinking. If I think ‘I’d like to make a run to the convenience store’, I won’t go. If I think ‘I’m feeling hungry’, I won’t eat. Or I will eat if I’m not in the mood.

–You really do this?

Ibushi: Oh yeah. I figure that what I’m doing in the moment is sending me down this negative path. So the best way to be positive will be to do completely the opposite.

–And what about living to 150?

Ibushi: I think I could hit 200, actually. There’s really unlimited potential in human beings. I mean, a lot of people die in their 80s, but these days 100 isn’t all that out of the ordinary. 120 is just about the record, right? I think taking all I can do into account, I live with the intention of making it to 150.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 6, 2020

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Kota Ibushi: George Costanza in that one episode where he does the opposite of what he's thinking every time.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Ibushi: I think I could hit 200, actually. There’s really unlimited potential in human beings. I mean, a lot of people die in their 80s, but these days 100 isn’t all that out of the ordinary. 120 is just about the record, right? I think taking all I can do into account, I live with the intention of making it to 150.

amazing

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

You all laugh now but when you're dead and in the ground the grizzled veteran Kota Ibushi will still be hitting the Phoenix Splash at the age of 175.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Kota Ibushi giving relationship advice and saying he thinks he's going to live to be 200.

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1291275314031517696

quote:

Ibushi: Every now and then I think about what’ll happen to me when I die. The key thing is though, it’s gonna happen to everyone. None of us can avoid it. How you accept that fact is the key point. I think it’s important to accept it could be tomorrow, or it could be in 100 years, and all you can do is live the life you have to the best of your ability and have fun doing it.

–And how best can you go about doing that?

Ibushi: Well, if you look at it the other way, if I start to feel that I’m having a run of bad days, or I’m not feeling too great, I’ll make sure to do something completely opposite for a while.

–Meaning…?

Ibushi: Meaning I’ll do the exact opposite of what I’m thinking. If I think ‘I’d like to make a run to the convenience store’, I won’t go. If I think ‘I’m feeling hungry’, I won’t eat. Or I will eat if I’m not in the mood.

–You really do this?

Ibushi: Oh yeah. I figure that what I’m doing in the moment is sending me down this negative path. So the best way to be positive will be to do completely the opposite.

–And what about living to 150?

–That intention is important?

Ibushi: Intention and feeling is important. You have strong intentions and positive feelings and it finds your way to good physical health as well.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I'm going to adopt Ibushi Mindset and be dead in two days.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Every day I'm astounded that Kota Ibushi is somehow still alive.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he's doing the opposite of what he wants so he'll live forever. or something

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

When life zigs, Kota Ibushi zags and lives forever. It’s science

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

I love his FRAGILE shirt.

HANDLE WITH CARE
THIS SIDE UP
DO NOT DROP ON HEAD

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Aesculus posted:

I love his FRAGILE shirt.

HANDLE WITH CARE
THIS SIDE UP
DO NOT DROP ON HEAD

Weird, he must have mixed his merch up with Tanahashi's

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Looking forward to see how Gabriel Kidd's weird fetish to be dominated by dads plays out tonight.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Eat My Fuc posted:

I have an autographed photo of EVIL do ya’ll have any cool NJPW merch. I have some really cool shirts too but just ones for the promotion.

I have a very cool pink Minoru Suzuki tshirt from his shopin Harajuku, and a Taguchi towel. I prize them both.

Oh, and the ZSJ hates Tories Tshirt :)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

two tournament cards tomorrow. i'll put up a njc usa gdt up tomorrow evening

Summer Struggle 2020
August 7th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Korakuen Hall

NEVER Openweight Trios Championship Tournament 1st Round:Golden☆Ace and Master Wato vs. Suzuki-gun(Dangerous Tekkers and Yoshinobu Kanemaru)
NEVER Openweight Trios Championship Tournament 1st Round:GBH and Ryusuke Taguchi vs. CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, and YOSHI-HASHI)
rest of card tba

NEW JAPAN CUP USA 2020
August 7th at 22:00 EDT/3:00 BST
unknown venue

NJC USA 1st Rd:Karl Fredericks vs. KENTA
NJC USA 1st Rd:Jeff Cobb vs. Tanga Loa
NJC USA 1st Rd:David Finlay vs. Chase Owens
NJC USA 1st Rd:Brody King vs. Tama Tonga

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hot KARL vs Bastard KENTA should be really good

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Daylight savings always screws me up because in my lifetime it was only used here for four years a decade ago. Can I please get some confirmation that BST is GMT+1 so I can figure out when the show starts for me? Near certain it is but i'm second guessing myself.

Either way i'm looking forward to GoD in singles, and hopefully Cobb gets to hoss a man around.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SG Bamboo posted:

Daylight savings always screws me up because in my lifetime it was only used here for four years a decade ago. Can I please get some confirmation that BST is GMT+1 so I can figure out when the show starts for me? Near certain it is but i'm second guessing myself.

Either way i'm looking forward to GoD in singles, and hopefully Cobb gets to hoss a man around.
That's correct. For example as I post this it is 7pm BST

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

That's correct. For example as I post this it is 7pm BST

Much appreciated

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/Kuliao_/status/1291865096281448448?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is one of things where if you can do it and if you can get a good location and you have the funds it seems a solid idea. Finding somewhere affordable, close to transport links and big enough to build an arena seems an ask though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
But.

Korakuen. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i doubt they'd completely abadon korakuen due to location and tradition. noah didn't despite owning differ ariake