Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Guys lemme tell ya, I'm really excited to experience exactly how Daniel Bryan fans felt from April 7th, 2014 onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

forkboy84 posted:

If Moxley wasn't working the G1 show in Dallas when AEW wasn't even running regularly yet he's not going to be allowed to do a show in Miami so I'm just discounting that possibility entirely..

Apparently, I need to start being much louder when I say this.

:frogsiren: :siren: MOXLEY HAD A PRIOR ENGAGEMENT THE FIRST DAY OF THE G1, IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH AEW :siren: :frogsiren:

:frogsiren: :siren: MOXLEY SIGNED WITH NEW JAPAN FIRST, IT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE ANY SENSE THAT AEW WOULD PREVENT HIM FROM DOING DATES FOR THEM :siren: :frogsiren:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's impossible to know until the matches start getting booked, but Kenta very clearly wants both. We may just have unified the top two belts, which, uh, would probably be a net positive. Unifying the HW and IC lets you kick the US and NEVER up a notch.

forkboy84 posted:

Believe it when I see it :shrug:

https://twitter.com/AndreasHale/status/1147381393548173312

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

forkboy84 posted:

I meant I'll believe him being in a US New Japan ring when I see it. I'm not saying it's not possible, I just don't think I'll see it.

Yeah, big bad Khan boogeyman, I get it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
GoD did spend a huge chunk of the year outside of NJPW though, didn't they? Wrestling for some lameass New York indie.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If Hiromu's new finisher is going to be the Time Bomb 2, he needs to go back and name the Dynamite Plunger the Time Bomb 1.5 just for maximum confusion.

In reality, the new one should just be called.

I dunno.

Landmine? Proximity Mine?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This will be the ultimate test for Naito. Kenny sold out Madison Square Garden despite fans knowing they would also have to watch a Ring of Honor show. Without this burden, Naito may be able to do it too and truly prove himself the greatest of all time and better than Kazuwhateverhisnameis.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Apparently Naito got surgery to fix his oblique and was wrestling with really bad dizziness and double vision for most of 2019?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Procrastinator posted:

I'm not sure if I'm missing the joke or you forgot that the elite was long gone by msg, because I think an msg solo show will be fun to discuss if its confirmed

No joke, it's very clear that Kenny sold a majority of the tickets to Madison Square Garden. But I believe Naito can do the same and a solo NJPW MSG show would be incredible.

Captain Magic posted:

Goddamn dude what is life even like if your oblique muscle(s) is hosed, poo poo. That sounds like misery

It was pretty loving bad, apparently.

https://www.njpw1972.com/68825

Here's the article that apparently goes into detail about it, but, uh, it's in Japanese. https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/prores/njpw/1683471/

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Kenta vs. Naito main event NB in Osaka for both belts.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1214428979907530753

Wow, that's a good point. What a smart guy that Naito is.

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1214429698068844544

Not unified.

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1214431411303698440

DON'T FALL FOR IT TOKYO SPORTS

MJeff fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 7, 2020

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Uh, this seems worth double posting.

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1214432300743553024

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
All the New Japan dads are going down, man. I know Tenzan is probably right behind Nakanishi. How much longer after that until we're saying goodbye to Nagata and Kojima? :(

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

extradite THIS! posted:

His best match in the G1 last year was with ZSJ which in large part consisted of Zack climbing around him like he was one of the colossi from Shadow of the Colossus, so there's that

Unironically one of the best finishes in the entire G1 last year.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Naoki Sano is also retiring. He wrestled in 2020 as many times as he did in 2019 and to go out with two matches in the Tokyo Dome which I imagine he probably thought he'd never get to do again is nice.

Stealing the focus from Sano's retirement by making it all about himself? More like JyusHHHin Thunder Liger.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jay White would be a loving killer face but it would leave a pretty massive void at the company's top heel position unless you turned someone.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

coconono posted:

KENTA is right there. he's literally RIGHT THERE.

......so like I said, pretty big void at the top heel position in the company unless you turn someone.

fatherofmustard posted:

What's the point of Naito defending both titles at the same time?

Sell out Osaka-Jo Hall.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jay is so loving good as a smarmy heel who happens to be a great wrestler, him needing All Of The Goof to win his matches feels like such a waste. Gedo is a great manager, but at a certain point it feels like he does more harm than good to Jay's act.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh boy, a whole one title defenses, thanks Big Harold.

Also I guess I'm still taking crazy pills cause I thought Cobb had a pretty okay G1.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

KungFu Grip posted:

I think people over hyped ourselves for Cobb after he looked good in multiman matches and stuff before and he didn't live up to our expectations

I'm not gonna say that people going "omg :swoon:" at Archer and poopooing Cobb was just because they had respectively zero and too high expectations for those guys going into the G1....

.........actually, that's exactly what I'm going to say.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Archer had a good match with Bad Luck Fale and I can't remember a single Cobb match despite him being in there with NJPW's greats like Ishii, Shingo, Taichi and Naito.

If Cobb F5ing Naito like a top isn't tattooed into your memory, then we are at an impasse.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okada and Moxley is the tag team I never knew I needed.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ThePariah posted:

The Osaka show is stacked and the Sapporo shows have some good matches as well.

It better be, they gotta sell out Osaka Jo Hall with it.

And, uh, I think they will. That's like four first-time-ever singles matches (basically, even if Okada and Taichi wrestled before 10 years ago). I still really don't like the KENTA angle to end WK14 from a storytelling standpoint but I gotta say, if the idea is to delay Naito's first role call as champion to be in Osaka of all places, that's.

Yeah. That'll probably put the butts in the seats.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 8, 2020

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Thauros posted:

The NEW BEGINNING in OSAKA
February 9th at 2:00 EST/7:00 GMT
Osaka-Jo Hall

Nakanishi Final in Osaka-Jo Hall:Nakanishi, Tenzan, Kojima, and Nagata vs. GBH, Henare, and Taguchi
IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Championship:Roppongi 3k(c) vs. Suzuki-gun (El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru)
Special 8 Man Tag:FinJuice, Tana, and Ibushi vs. Bullet Club (G.o.D, Yujiro, and Chase)
Special Tag Match:Kazuchika Okada and Will Ospreay vs. Suzuki-gun (Taichi and Zack Sabre Jr.)
Special Single Match:SANADA vs. Jay White
IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship:Hiromu Takahashi(c) vs. Ryu Lee
IWGP US Heavyweight Championship:Jon Moxley(c) vs. Minoru Suzuki
IWGP Heavyweight + IC Double Championship: Tetsuya Naito(c) vs. KENTA

Jesus Christ, I don't think this one's gonna have any trouble selling out Osaka Jo.

Tonfa posted:

People say stuff like this but who is there to send and actually elevate the quality of shows? Mox sure but he already has his own contract. Jericho is never going to do a full tour. Kenny has creative disagreements. I'd bet PAC is DG faithful when it comes to japanese dates. Darby BOSJ sure, after that the well runs dry. I'd take the funniest possible way to get CIMA on NJPW cards though.

An actual partnership makes Mox or Kenny in the G1 much easier to do. You can run some clips of their G1 matches on Dynamite so they're not quite so missed. And maybe Cody will finally make good on his goddamn promise to work a G1. :v:

SalTheBard posted:

I personally feel that Kenny's stock has dropped like a stone since beating Okada. His title reign was very lackluster and he hasn't really done poo poo in AEW outside of that loving insane match with Moxley. He went from being best bout machine to Oh yeah...I wondered what happened to that guy.

He's quietly turned in several really good matches in AEW, both on Dynamite and Dark and his title reign was not very lackluster. It ain't Kenny's fault that he had literally the hardest act to follow in the history of wrestling.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Cody has obviously figured out his style much better since he was in NJPW and I bet if he wrestled Okada again it'd fuckin' slap.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If you haven't seen it or put it on the list yet, check out Juice vs. Jay White from the San Francisco show in 2018 and the promos leading up to it. It will make you fall in love with Juice.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

oh but seriously I posted:

cody in the g1 cody's brother in the g1

Bro you just blew my mind.

Thauros posted:

sword & guns (karl anderson was the guns, natch) lost to k.e.s in the tag title match at wk 7 but that's the only one that comes to mind

He also lost a NOAH belt or something I think?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SalTheBard posted:

Goddamn that match of so loving good (except for the weird "shoot" stuff with Barnett and JR)

No quotes necessary, Barnett legit went into business for himself.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SalTheBard posted:

Oh loving really? I thought it was a work. What a dickhead.

Don't have the link on me but there's a clip where he talks about it and he comes off completely deranged.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My first full NJPW show was Dominion 2017 and Taguchi was one of the first wrestlers I saw in the NEVER gauntlet and I was in love pretty much immediately.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

harperdc posted:

People saying PAC can’t work in New Japan like that hasn’t literally happened before when he was with Dragon Gate in 2012.

Also whoever said “AEW would be useful to NJPW for excursions,” ding ding ding, we have our winner. I’m sure ROH is nice but I’m guessing the MSG show was the final straw, but bad overseas excursions were probably the bigger issue if that relationship is ending.

I mean, the problem with TNA and RoH, besides all of the horribly stupid poo poo they do (and TNA beats RoH in that regard, I think, if narrowly) has mainly been that they just don't use the Young Lions at all, right? Okada getting a stupid gimmick was bad, but it was more of a problem that they just never did anything with him.

If AEW got a guy like Shooter, I have to imagine he'd show up at least on Dark fairly regularly.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah the point of the excursion is for them to learn about character, learn about working in front of a number of different crowds, basically figure out who they are as a wrestler. Which is impossible when you're not booked.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Man, Kenta used to be awesome, huh.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gaz-L posted:

KENTA vs Naito, Intercontinental and World Heavyweight titles on the line, but the most important stip, the man who wins gets custody of the loser's remaining functional knee, bringing him up to 2 whole knees that work!

One and a half.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
One day the burgoise coward Shave Seltzer will stop underrating the people's champions, El Ingobernable and Death Rider.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
thauros club fuh fuh fuh for life

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Yeah he was apparently on the verge of retiring in November it got so bad, but the surgery fixed it. Would have been such a limp end to the Double Gold Dash story if Naito had retired.

Naito being the one whose eye got hosed up despite Ibushi being the one who took that ridiculous apron bump certainly wouldn't be what I expected.

karmicknight posted:

I’m glad it took *checks calendar* eight days for situation to return to normal and the Naitailures to have to WRAP IT UP.

At this point, I think I just pity you guys more than anything.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
"Okada is definitely losing back to back main events.", the sequel to "Okada is definitely losing to Ibushi twice in a row."

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Ganso Bomb posted:

So if someone beats Naito for the IC Title, do they automatically become #1 contender for the IWGP Title since they'd have just beaten the champ?

Then if Naito successfully defends the belt, he becomes #1 contender for the IC title since he just beat the champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Jay White booked for Supercard of Honor. Party Marty has firmly shut the Forbidden Door.

Thinking too small. Marty is going to unite them all.