Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I gave no shits about Oka as a young lion, beyond how funny his anime obsession is, but I absolutely adore him as the Great O-Karn. He went from someone who I thought looked terminally goony to someone who makes a great monster heel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Mox is going to win the AEW title from Jericho on the 29.

Also I'm still confused about whether or not they're doing double belt defenses every time.

I don't know if anyone knows. This is uncharted territory for NJPW and they tend to have their own way of doing things.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

jericho should get fatter, quote if you agree

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Matanza was easily his best work and a lot of it was because of how little he bumped.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Top of the card and known "spot", or not, I can't believe no one has stiffed the hell out of him yet for doing it.

I wonder if he clears it individually with each opponent before their match, or if he did before he became established at the top of the card and it was a known thing he does.

It's his bit so I imagine he clears it with them. Also NJPW is very dumb and every wrestler they have thinks being dropped on your head is a badge of honor so they would probably be mad if Naito didn't spit on them or something.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Taichi shows his fighting spirit by doing the pants spot with his trunks and free balls the rest of the match.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm here for Shooter aka Evil Tanahashi

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The dojo makes neck exercises a big part of their exercise regiment and really promotes neck safety. Hiromu coming back after breaking his neck is most likely a result of strengthening his neck, it would of been a lot worse if he had not. Ibushi didn't train in the dojo but does the same thing and does a lot to strengthen his neck. But NJPW wrestlers absolutely have a habit of taking really awful head and neck bumps and I wouldn't mind them stopping. Especially landing on their head and poo poo, you can't strengthen your skull to better protect it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

I've more than warmed up to the idea, learning to trust the NJPW process for things that aren't tag-belts. Naito's match against Okada was definitely the best Naito match I've seen so far (only been watching since G1) and it's not particularly close, so maybe his poor/boring matches from before were some combination of 1)Being hurt and 2)Being cautious to not get hurt when he's so close to the payoff of a multi-year story.

Number 2 is especially a pretty big deal to consider when you look across the ocean and see the disaster that happened to Ciampa. Then you consider that Naito's storyline had been going on for even longer? Yeah. I'm suddenly much more inclined to cut him a lot of slack for what I thought before were lackluster performances, because he apparently can bring it when he wants to.

EDIT
......But then there were his Ibushi matches which were just suicidally insane, and not even in a good way.

...gently caress it, man, I don't understand wrestlers.

Every wrestler is at their core that dude who you can say "Haha wouldn't it be funny if someone did this stupid thing?" and they always respond with "Haha yeah... I'll do it"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Dave not rating the match because it was dangerous bugs me. On rewatch the match isn't as bad as it looks, they take a lot of smart bumps that look bad with a couple of very stupid bumps mixed in. But really my complaint is the idea that the match crossed some line. Pretty much all wrestling is too dangerous. It's just a weird one to be the one that crosses the line and I think a lot of it is the reputation of Ibushi and Naito more then the match.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

Perhaps it was the months of Kevin Kelly selling Ibushi/Naito matches by screaming 'THESE GUYS WILL LITERALLY KILL EACH OTHER' that made those bumps so uncomfortable.

Oh absolutely. And it was a dumb match, just not especially dumber then any other Ibushi match.

Though those are really dumb. How the gently caress is he almost 40 and moving like he does? How the gently caress has he survived to be almost 40?

Edit: What major injuries has he even had? I can think of his concussion pulling him out of the 2014 G1 and a herniated cervical disc. I think he also had a bad dislocated shoulder? That all seems pretty tame for the way he wrestles. I have to assume he has a lot of concussions.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 13, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

Just think friends, in just a few short weeks we will know the glory of Five Star Taichi...

Coward Dave crosses out the six and pencils in a five as Taichi rips his pants off. And his trunks.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Marty stands exactly in the middle. He's the bridge.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I love that Hiromu is the only dude in LIJ actually living their gimmick.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

coconono posted:

I wonder how racist Kevin Kely is gonna get about Douki this time.

Yeah, his descriptions about Douki working in Mexico were kind of weird.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They play with harmful stereotypes but also allow performers a safe space and a way to challenge machismo culture. It's complicated.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

re: Exoticos, this is a pretty great article/interview with Cassandro thats well worth a read:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/01/man-without-mask

This is a really good story. Both for it's wonderful look into exoticos and Lucha as well as the scenes where TJP screams at a wrestler if he looked at TJP's dick.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

man now i want them in a king of trios with sammy g as the milf hunters

Make it a stable run by Tanahashi

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That would suck. Like, AEW is good but NJPW is still just so far above them in quality. And Archer is in the middle of a loving amazing career revival. Maybe he'll figure out one of those deals that lets him work both, especially because NJPW will be without a giant american heel without him and that feels illegal.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I just thought of a man Archer's size regularly doing international flights and uh, I take it back. Get that AEW cash.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

boxcarhobo posted:

yea plus he had to have surgery for a herniated disc a few years ago, stuff like that lingers doesn't it? either way, gotta be tough doing all that travel

also he can get away from double champ idiot naito so that's a huge plus

It totally does. They can never clean up everything so you'll usually have a little bit of whatever that likes to push itself onto a nerve if you spend too much time in one position or get fatigued or whatever.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Carlioo posted:

More taichi content for the thread to enjoy https://youtu.be/q5opN6F6mXo

Is New Japan getting into Adult Swim style comedy?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Elite guys talk enough about being unhappy with NJPW that the bad feelings are obviously on both sides.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Judas is the American Kaze Ni Nare. Take that how you will.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jesus, Kota even gets the weird illnesses.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I absolutely love that LIJ's response was "Takes a lot of courage to come out and beat the poo poo out of Naito after the match. Why would we stop KENTA when he's shooting his shot?"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'd believe it if you told me no one has ever smartened up Barnett even though he runs his own shows and has wrestled for years.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I know everyone thinks MJF is the best old school pure heel these days but it's really Jay White. I hate MJF because that's my job as a fan. I hate Jay because holy poo poo gently caress that guy. gently caress him.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

coconono posted:

Even Jay White when he’s “off” still comes off as a sleazy individual. Not a shitbag, just sleazy.

If he wasn't one of the top wrestlers in the world he'd be selling bricks in stereo boxes out of a trunk at that abandoned shopping center where the Bradlees used to be.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I guess it depends on what the goal of those shows are but yeah, it doesn't sound amazing.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/thesuperjcast/status/1223227653202698240

Ok, it's bad. You don't pick venues you don't think you can get close to filling.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The expansion is weird because they talk about it like it's a huge deal but every move they make does look like they're backing off or view it as secondary.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I found a clip of the bidding war between AEW and WWE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qUQ94_MF2Y

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I just finished last night's show. The main event of tonight is going to be a loving 8 star match. Dangerous T is getting the win. It's the perfect time to have him beat Okada.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 1, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'd be way too excited about Milano doing another match. He was an incredible wrestler and I'm always sad that he had to retire early.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A picture of the inside of my brain right now.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm glad you're all here to watch Dangerous T send Okada on his 19th nervous breakdown.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I really like Henare as a Michael Elgin with a personality.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

God I hope they finally do something with Henare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Everything about honma terrifies me.