Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

KENTA is a great heel getting great heat but some of his comedy was kinda pushing him towards being likeable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

So by summer Naito has to vacate the title due to a brain injury and then Tanahashi wins it? Sounds about right honestly

As long as Kazuyuki Fujita ends up being the Brock analogy.

Super No Vacancy posted:

watched nyd at the ddt bar in shinjuku. show seemed fine but had a v cool time. no english menu but their cocktails were named after ddt wrestlers so i just started naming random ones to order lol

The HARASHIMA is the best

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

By the way, a rumour I've heard from multiple sources in the past few days is that NJPW is running MSG again. Alone.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

karmicknight posted:

is it supposed to be the capstone to the big Olympic Wrestling Revenge tour or is it something like an important eventTM on the New Japan calendar

I've been given conflicting information. The first is that it will be a big show with all the titles defended called Strong Style Evolved and the second is that it's the G1 opener. I've also heard London as the G1 opener so idk it's all speculation.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Everyone shook Nakanishi's hand after the dads match at the Dome. Guess that was a sign.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Naoki Sano is also retiring. He wrestled in 2020 as many times as he did in 2019 and to go out with two matches in the Tokyo Dome which I imagine he probably thought he'd never get to do again is nice.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

I refuse to comprehend the idea of Switchblade as a face

He's very good at it!!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MJeff posted:

......so like I said, pretty big void at the top heel position in the company unless you turn someone.

KENTA isn't out here getting death threats to be disrespected like this

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Phuzzy posted:

All this talk about New Japan making inroads into America is a little funny because it wasn't that long ago at the first big show at the Cow Palace that the JP broadcast team was absolutely floored at the extremely boisterous Kaze Ni Nare that the US crowd gave Minoru Suzuki. "Oh! They know about Kaze Ni Nare?" "Sugoi!"

I think people take for granted how much NJPW has grown in America. You see all these takes about how NJPW need to ally with AEW to get the recognition or whatever but solo NJPW tours in the US are drawing crowd sizes comparable to shows in Japan of the same level and they wouldn't be going over there so often if it wasn't working out for them.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

New Beginning in USA cards are up. Main event of the tour is FinJuice vs. GOD for the tag titles with Chase vs. Ibushi as the semi main.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I have zero interest in Cobb after he was the worst part of the last G1.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Sapporo fans not happy they don't get to see the Ace/Ibushi

Not sure why they ran these shows against Sapporo and not Fantasticamania. Would have been easier to get decent matches on both new beginning tours.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 8, 2020

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I Before E posted:

He was not worse than Fale, he was just a three and a half star guy in a B Block full of four and a half star guys

Fale had the ZSJ, Archer and EVIL matches and his fun technical wrestler shtick. He might not have been as good as Jeff on a technical level but his matches were more fun and memorable. I'd take poo poo with flashes of fun over technically sound but painfully average any day.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MJeff posted:

I'm not gonna say that people going "omg :swoon:" at Archer and poopooing Cobb was just because they had respectively zero and too high expectations for those guys going into the G1....

.........actually, that's exactly what I'm going to say.

Archer had a good match with Bad Luck Fale and I can't remember a single Cobb match despite him being in there with NJPW's greats like Ishii, Shingo, Taichi and Naito.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Who is Gabriel Kidd?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Draxion posted:

Looks like maybe a newer LA Dojo guy?

Britwres guy who went to the LA Dojo apparently

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lamuella posted:

was Yoshitatsu let go or did he just slowly drift out of the company?

He left. He just signed full time with AJPW.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I Before E posted:

His match with Juice was great, his matches with Ishii and Goto were my favorites of their respective nights, and his match with Taichi was very fun.

You're right about the Juice match actually. Ishii match was my least favourite Ishii match of the whole G1, it just felt like a match Ishii would have by himself with no real input or injection of personality from his opponent which of course is a great match and all still but it didn't give me anything special.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

'Guch rules, it is known :hai:

Really hype for all three of these shows, especially that Osaka one. With Dynamite starting and NJPW going off the boil as normal post-G1 I'd kinda forgotten how much I love this drat company.

I'm really happy the G1 is in September/October this year and hope it stays that way. That's two extra months where the booking won't be screeching to a grinding halt.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

We already had to deal with one ex-Bullet Club second generation Cody in DDT last year

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1215424509399814144?s=19

He's still going

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm not sure that anyone is even interested in these any more but weird rear end ratings

https://twitter.com/themib/status/1215542327306928129?s=19

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think Okada/Naito is maybe the best match I've ever seen all the way through and Okada/Ibushi had 15 minutes where they did nothing in particular before they had 20 minutes of amazing stuff. I can't understand preferring the latter unless Ibushi going full psycho mode is everything you ever wanted.

Speaking of Naito, he did the thing

https://twitter.com/s_d_naito/status/1215549977314770944?s=19

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TTBF posted:

He noted that he had seats pretty far back and so couldn't see the finer details of people selling or hear the hard impacts. He's gonna go and try to rewatch the big matches when he has time but he didn't specify which those were.

Maybe that's the match where tried to change his seat and got yelled at by the Tokyo Dome staff.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I think they were both five star matches but I favoured the Naito match. Obvious result or not it was special. The crowds reaction was amazing

Also GWB have you ever been to a FM show ? Are the fans bringing the airhorns from home or do New Japan sell them

I went last year and I don't recall. The only thing I noticed different from normal about merch is that they were selling tacos in the Korakuen Hall bar.

The fans really get into it so I wouldn't be surprised if they bring them from home. Loads of people brought Lucha masks with them or at least Japanese wrestler masks. Harold was wearing a BUSHI mask and said that I didn't put any effort in because I didnt have a mask.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

He started calling himself Painmaker during the build to his Dominion main event match with Okada last year.

Part of the Tanahashi interview that got ignored because everyone obviously focused on the AEW stuff was Tanahashi getting mad that Jericho was just recycling his Okada material and wasn't doing anything new for him specifically like Alpha vs. Omega or Lista Ingobernables de Jericho.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

I hate the stereotypical Passion of Naito match but somehow he always knocks it out of the park with Taichi. Those two have an extremely weird chemistry that I just loving love. That Sapporo match from February last year that had legit like 20 minutes of stalling was got drat incredible, not to mention the G1 match where the crowd was white hot for their Iron Claw-using babyface hometown hero Taichi and Naito menaced Miho. Interestingly, the February show was apparently the one where Naito mentioned the double champion thing for the first time.

And Taichi was the guy he finally beat to get the double title shot.

Taichi is the best in the world though and I can't wait for him to have Okada's best match ever this year like he did with Ishii last year

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HidaO-Win posted:

Well the Naito/Ibushi match had some horrific moments and I think the score got ratcheted down by Dave because he wasn’t comfortable egging these guys on with high ratings for what looked like a really dangerous match.

Also arguing the match was fine after watching the last few months of Naito shuffling to the ring and gradually getting up to speed. Dudes hurting, all those neck bumps are probably doing him no favours. Didn’t it also come out he was wrestling with blurred vision all year? That all doesn’t seem fine.

Yeah he was apparently on the verge of retiring in November it got so bad, but the surgery fixed it. Would have been such a limp end to the Double Gold Dash story if Naito had retired.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jay White booked for Supercard of Honor. Party Marty has firmly shut the Forbidden Door.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Shingo is confirmed for the Wrestlecon supershow at WM weekend, so that makes at least two NJPW guys in town.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

karmicknight posted:

How would Shingo do at bloodsport?

Unless he's capable of being in two places at once, that's not on the cards this year because it's up against the supershow.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1217281516595634176?s=19

NJPW are doing a young lions show Wrestlemania weekend

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Suzuki-gun are tweeting positively about the new British Young Lion, Gabriel Kidd. Apparently he approached Suzuki and Desperado in their pre match training routine when they were in the UK and asked to join in. The other British wrestlers were laughing at him getting stretched by Suzuki, but Despy said he was the only one actually training. I wouldn't be surprised if this is them hinting at a future member

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Make the best match possible from the people on that stage

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I wanted Okada & Kento vs Violent Giants tbh

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

wrt Okada suggesting a supershow, NJPW have posted it on their website so it's more than just him making an offhand comment and of the large arenas used for wrestling in Tokyo, there's only one that isn't locked down for the Olympics and it's the Dome. I hope to god they counter program the Olympics with a Dome show because that would be insane and amazing.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

Might the Giants not be playing though? That strikes me as the main issue with a summer Dome show.

They can just play a week where they have an away game. The schedule for 2020 isn't out yet, but looking at July from last year there was a two and a half week gap with nothing going on

https://www.giants.jp/en/schedule/201907.html

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lamuella posted:

So how much awareness of current American wrestling is there in the average Japanese fan? I know the people who are really into it will be really into it, but when Tanahashi was talking about the AEW title, would the casual fan have a good idea what that was?

People know what AEW is, yeah. I doubt many people actually watch it because it's on TV and subscription services/piracy aren't that popular here but I see AEW merch at shows a lot. From anecdotal experience, casual fans here are aware of WWE but aren't really sure who wrestles there. DDT fans seem most into American wrestling.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bushiroad attendance figures today

Stardom - 1602
NJPW - 1601

If I'd stuck around then NJPW would have tied them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

At least now we have confirmation why a quarter of the 1.4 audience didn't show up for 1.5