Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Gedo opening the forbidden portal in exchange for Muta's Disney tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
I've been watching a bunch of Kawada's matches in New Japan since I hadn't seen most of them before. Just pretend he's a meaner, more agile Ishii only with a mullet and the ability to win big matches.

Here's five to keep you busy.

5. Toshiaki Kawada vs. Shinsuke Nakamura (1/4/07)
This is an odd one. On paper it's a dream match but in practice it ended up being more of a styles clash. The Tokyo Dome crowd never really gets into it either. Watch it as a curiosity rather than expecting a great match.

4. Toshiaki Kawada vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan (1/4/01)
Now this feels more like a modern Tokyo Dome match. Hard hitting with a hot crowd. If you haven't seen a lot of early Tenzan, this is a great place to start. He moved really well and didn't use much schtick at all here. It's also far from his best match, so there's more to look forward to.

2 & 3. Toshiaki Kawada vs. Kensuke Sasaki (10/9/00 & 1/4/01)
Their first match is probably slightly better but both are quite fun. Both really feel like a fight. Kawada's selling is at its most Ishii-esque here. He's an absolute killing machine who can take a ton of punishment...until the cumulative effect of the shots start to take their toll. Sasaki more than steps up to the challenge, taking a ton of damage and dishing out some monster shots of his own. Sasaki's another guy who is well worth taking the time to check out, especially his stuff in the first half of the 2000s.

1. Toshiaki Kawada & Masanobu Fuchi vs. Yuji Nagata & Takashi Iizuka (12/14/00)
This one isn't on New Japan World but is absolutely worth seeking out (it's an easy Google search away). The crowd is nuclear for this All Japan vs. New Japan clash. The whole thing is a Southern style, face-in-peril tag set in a promotional war angle. Fuchi was well past his prime at this point but taps his deepest reserves to play a despicable heel here, just mangling Iizuka's leg. Iizuka, for his part, does as good a Ricky Marvin impression as you'll ever see - which is very strange when you think about the wrestler he'd become at the end of his career. And Nagata-Kawada is as awesome as you'd expect. Some of their exchanges had me screaming in my living room. All four really bring it here. A hidden classic that I had somehow never seen before.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Poor social distancing on display here.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Okada's longest matches

Loss vs Kenny Omega, Dominion 2018 (64:50)
Draw vs Kenny Omega, Dominion 2017 (60:00)
Win vs Kenny Omega, Wrestle Kingdom 11 (46:45)
Win vs Minoru Suzuki, New Beginning 2017 (40:46)
Win vs Kota Ibushi, Wrestle Kingdom 14 (39:16)
Win vs Katsuyori Shibata, Sakura Genesis 2017 (38:09)
Win vs SANADA, Wrestling Dontaku 2019 (38:03)
Win vs SANADA, King of Pro Wrestling 2019 (36:21)
Win vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Wrestle Kingdom 10 (36:01)
Loss vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Destruction 2018 (35:43)
Loss vs Tetsuya Naito, Wrestle Kingdom 14 (35:37)
Win vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, King of Pro Wrestling 2013 (35:17)
Win vs Zack Sabre Jr., Sakura Genesis 2018 (34:58)
Win vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Wrestling Dontaku 2018 (34:36)
Win vs Tetsuya Naito, Wrestle Kingdom 12 (34:26)
Loss vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Wrestle Kingdom 7 (33:34)
Win vs EVIL, King of Pro Wrestling 2017 (33:26)
Win vs Minoru Suzuki, Royal Quest 2019 (33:25)
Win vs SANADA, New Japan Cup Final (33:07)
Win vs Jay White, G1 Supercard (32:33)
Win vs SANADA, New Beginning 2018 (32:12)
Win vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Invasion Attack 2013 (31:41)
Win vs Tetsuya Naito, Wrestle Kingdom 8 (30:58)
Loss vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Wrestle Kingdom 9 (30:57)
Win vs Taichi, New Beginning 2020 (30:53)
Win vs Minoru Suzuki, Wrestling Dontaku 2013 (30:49)
Win vs AJ Styles, King of Pro Wrestling 2015 (30:15)
Draw vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, G1 Climax 23, 26, 28 (30:00)
Draw vs Minoru Suzuki, G1 Climax 27, Suzuki 30th Anniversary Festival (30:00)

So assuming I have my math right, if you don't count people who actually beat him (because those were obviously all flukes) then the strongest 5 wrestlers on the current roster, based on their most recent loss, are Ibushi (WK14), SANADA (KoPW 2019), Naito (WK12), Suzuki (RQ), and Jay White (G1 Supercard). Tanahashi, Zack, and EVIL are all disqualified as they were beaten in under 30 minutes in G1 29. Shibata and Kenny would edge out Suzuki and Knife Pervert if they were part of the current roster.

Missing a 45:00 draw with Suzuki from the outdoor show in the rain.

e: I'm wrong!

Price Check fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 30, 2020

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
I actually think that Nagata/Suzuki was enhanced by the lack of a crowd. It felt intimate rather than sterile. Almost like it was something that the public wasn't meant to see. That feeling only got stronger when Nagata started bleeding from the mouth. You can also really hear how loud those slaps and strikes were without the crowd. Sometimes a crowd reacting big dulls the pure violence. Without that buffer it was right in my face the whole time.

I'll probably remember this match more strongly due to the uniqueness than if it was "just" a great match in front of a hot crowd.

I totally understand if I'm alone in that opinion though.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Prediction: Y-H will have a shockingly good match with BUSHI and then an inexplicably terrible match with the Goto/EVIL winner.

What Y-H really needs to do is become the next Yano with a Drunken Master gimmick or something. Just lean into his sloppiness and weird facial expressions.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Power Windows posted:

So, let me get this straight: the worse Yoshi-Hashi's opponent, the better the match?

He also had very good matches with Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi in the past. Yoshi-Hashi is impossible to figure out.

I was at the New York City show where he wrestled KENTA. People really wanted to cheer him. He just...gave us no reason to do so.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
I was in the section where a group of guys was trying to get a "New Yosh City" chant going.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe it's just me but Master Wato has felt like a real part of the roster recently and not a bizarre prank. Progress!

Thought the shows were fun. I didn't even mind the handicap match. Excited for this weekend, though a half-empty outdoor stadium might be the weirdest atmosphere yet.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
I could see BOSJ replacing the tag league this year. The tag league, in addition to never being great, is also the tournament that seems to be most reliant on foreigners (GoD, FinnJuice, Fale/Chase, Cobb/Nichols, and a few others last year, for instance).

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Okada was in the best match of the year 8 months ago. Then he carried Naito to a 5 star match the following night. I don't think he's hit the Rainmaker since New Japan came back from the shutdown. When he does it will be glorious - and that's probably by design. The last few times Okada has lost the title they've done a similar wayward Okada storyline. He will be fine.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
I would think that they tape each of the "tours" in one go. So about once a month with the upcoming stuff already in the can. But that's just a guess.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Looks like 9 shows each, so that likely means one block of ten for both. Top two re-match in the finals.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Rarity posted:

Or it's 18 shows with both tournaments on all shows

It's not.
https://www.f4wonline.com/new-japan-news/njpw-run-world-tag-league-best-super-juniors-concurrently-321901

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

MJeff posted:

So lemme ask you guys something.

Is it reasonably possible to take a trip to Japan and knock off NJPW shows at Korakuen, Sumo Hall and Osaka Jo-Hall all in the same trip? Would that require staying in Japan for like. Two months?

You'd probably need 3 months since Sumo Hall and Osaka Jo would both require major shows.

Closest in recent years is probably when they ran the BOSJ final at Sumo Hall and then Dominion was like a week later.

Edit: You could knock off all three by just staying there from Dominion to the G1 Final. That's a little over 2 months but you'll have to wait for 2022 to do it.

Price Check fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 20, 2020

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
I hate to even bring up the possibility but EVIL is a dojo graduate...

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Harold was probably worried that The Elite would pull some kind of stunt at NYD to publicize their new company. Can't say I'd blame him if that was the thinking.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
When did Juice have to beg? The multi-year contracts are a new thing and Juice has been in New Japan for a good amount of time now. Juice's contract issues may have been a few years ago when NJPW only did rolling year-to-year contracts even with their top domestic guys.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Does Dave Meltzer look like a guy who understand humor at any level to you?

He can't do a BTE recapping without breaking into laughter so I think that confirms your point.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
According to today's Observer, Rust Taylor is part of the new NXT class. Bummer, as I thought he would have done well in mainline New Japan if he got the chance when the pandemic ended.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
The Karl Fredericks thing is weird. Why announce him in the first place if this was taped in advance? Were they waiting for the Jay White match to air? That kind of continuity stuff has never mattered before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Rarity posted:

Jon Moxley hasn't been on Dynamite since 2nd December. There's still three New Japan shows this year. It's a double show WK.

KENTA/Juice on 4th Jan, winner/Mox on 5th Jan? :thunkher:

Rooting for this.

However, that would involve Jon Moxley leaving his pregnant wife alone over Christmas, which is a great way for her to become his pregnant ex-wife.