Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
New Japan 2020: The problem with New Japan is it's just a dry athletic contest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Ospreay has toned down his super flippy spots and I enjoy him more now. Back then he used to have like 50% evasion on moves and it was downright getting unbelievable.

Is Hiromu's Time Bomb variation just going to be called Time Bomb 2?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Do Chase and Yujiro have any decent matches, like anything

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not going to defend Yujiro but yeah. Chase Owens, Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi vs. Cody, Hangman Page & Marty Scurll from 2018 Honor Rising last year. Chase Owens & Kota Ibushi vs. Kazuchika Okada & Will Ospreay from 2018 BOSJ Night 14. Yoshi-Hashi, Kazuchika Okada & Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Chase Owens, Bad Luck Fale & Jay White from New Beginning in Sapporo 2019.

If you're asking for a singles match, there's not many to choose from because that's not Chase's role. 2019 New Japan Cup Round 1 he had a match with Juice Robinson that I rated HM in the Match of the Year thread. So I guess I recommend checking that out. But dude has had 35 singles matches since 2014. 14 of those were in Best of the Super Juniors XXII & XXIII, 8 of them were against Young Lions. Chase knows his role and is really good at it, he has really great finishing stretches, whether he's eating the pin or delivering the Package Piledriver.

Actually, good Yujiro match: Yuj & Masato Tanaka vs GBH of Makabe & Honma at Invasion Attack 2013. And for a singles, he challenged Tanahashi for the IWGP HW Title on Power Struggle 2014, & there was a NEVER Openweight match with Tomo Ishii on King of Pro Wrestling.

Thank you!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Doesn't Fale work surprisingly good mat wrestling if he wants to

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
He should always wrestle with face paint on

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Procrastinator posted:

i remember the sanada match being pretty good actually. also iirc tanahashi was one of the people he rolled up and it was hilarious? maybe it was kenta.

I remember he rolled up KENTA, which is funny considering how the latter joined Bullet Club at the end of the G1.

Has Miho Abe ever taken a bump? Most punishment I've seen her take was Lance Archer terrifying her in the World Tag League.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 7, 2020

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Why I love Jay White as a heel is because he can really wrestle well but he just chooses not to. I root against him in matches but then he reverses something into the Blade Runner and I just go "drat he deserved to win after that". He's smug but he can really back it up (the same can't be said for a lot of heels).

I also like KENTA, but he is a little too funny to be a pure heel.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The ref bump in Ibushi vs White was pretty funny because Red Shoes slumped on the mat and writhed before rolling out of the ring

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Just sign Cobb already NJPW

I read a comment brought up about him wherein he bumps too much for a big guy and while that's true, guy missed an ROH date to work a local indie show here and it was endearing for him to really sell our guys' offense. Whereas TJP was booked in the same show and he undersold a lot of our ace's big moves...

And yes I would like to see Archer murder YOSHI-HASHI and some Young Lions

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Cobb's working a per date contract for ROH so he should probably sign. it'd do him some good as working more top talent should help him get better

Then he immediately joins Bullet Club oh no

I hope Ibushi and Tanahashi stick around as a tag team longer, too.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
A Fale vs Cobb match might be fun

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
My god, Okada/Taichi is actually happening

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I watched a random match (Taguchi/BUSHI in last year's BOSJ) and I'm really getting into Taguchi. I love how he does all these weird stuff with a straight face (they did a long run the ropes over and over spot and boy did he take it seriously). I love his dedication to getting his literal rear end kicked. It was an okay main event in a small venue but the crowd was really over him (though I heard a couple of ladies screaming BUSHI's name). What a fun guy.

This is my favorite gif of him so far
https://twitter.com/MrLARIATO/status/1213693754596642816

Anyway there was a guy named Caprice Coleman who was with Kevin in the announcer's table, I haven't heard of him, but he wasn't bad either.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
When did New Japan move from TNA to ROH?

TriffTshngo posted:

Ishii bringing out Fighting Spirit Taichi is one of the most surprisingly fantastic things to happen in 2019.
That really brought up some great depth to his character. I already enjoyed him as a little poo poo, but now he's a little poo poo who can really fight.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Lamuella posted:

I actually find the fact that one of the two women in the company comes out in a thong and a bunny mask to accompany a "pimp" really uncomfortable to watch. It's everything I don't want from wrestling.

You're not alone, but the good news is that Yujiro does not seem to have any redeeming qualities whatsoever, even his gear looks trash.

coconono posted:

NJPW really doesn't do a good job of pointing out that both are successful small business owners doing NJPW for fun.
So what is Miho Abe's business?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So when did Kevin Kelly start calling it DEEEEEEEEEEEEESTIIIIIIIIIIIINOOOOOOOOO? He used to call it the normal way.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

extradite THIS! posted:

I hate the stereotypical Passion of Naito match but somehow he always knocks it out of the park with Taichi. Those two have an extremely weird chemistry that I just loving love. That Sapporo match from February last year that had legit like 20 minutes of stalling was got drat incredible, not to mention the G1 match where the crowd was white hot for their Iron Claw-using babyface hometown hero Taichi and Naito menaced Miho. Interestingly, the February show was apparently the one where Naito mentioned the double champion thing for the first time.

I watched the Power Struggle match and Taichi was goading Naito for 70% of the match (like what Ishii did to him). He also controlled the pace until Naito deactivates his power limiter and really goes at it.

Taichi was the one who helped Naito get his mojo back for Wrestle Kingdom.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

forkboy84 posted:

Wait, the NJPW show has Kojima challenging Ultimo Guerrero for the CMLL HW title so I guess I have to watch that. I can't miss live Kojima singles action.

It'll never happen but now I'm dreaming of Kojima winning the title & having a fun little run with it.

He should win, I read that Mexico has an incredible variety of breads. That would certainly diversify Bread Club's holdings.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
BC should do a run-in and be countered by a LIJ run-in

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Mr E posted:

Why doesn't SANADA have all the belts right now??

Skull End sucks

Like really that's the only thing I'd change with him

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I don't watch lucha so if anyone would be kind enough to write about the CMLL luchadors I would be very thankful and let me enjoy Fantasticamania.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Thauros posted:

i'm not as up on cmll as i was a couple years ago but....

Thanks!!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Our local indie has a flamboyantly gay wrestler who does those kiss spots too, though he's toned them down as of late (which is good).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

I do like the increasing degrees of attention he gave Okada throughout their matches

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I will be sad if Lance Archer leaves NJPW for AEW, but it might be a better career move for him given everything that's been discussed here. Shame it had to be just at the start of his career resurgence.

OTOH, Suzuki-gun could invade AEW to get their Murderhawk Monster back. Put Coward Tony in a sleeper hold

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Who makes the bootleg music used when "the music has been altered due to rights"

The Mexican tracks were cute (but I'm sure the original ones are 1000x better)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Judas is generic butt rock that is only made decent by Jericho, and Kaze ni Nare is an institution. They are not the same.

I wonder who Tanahashi will be tagging with now?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
He looks like in an eternal state of jet lag

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

coconono posted:

Sleeping in your car for years at a stretch will do that to you.

That's... not a joke, is it?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Ibushi will Kamigoye the illness once, remove his knee guard and Kamigoye it again to excise it from his body.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk5xSX1cd2c
I love KENTA

Also Hiromu confirms that they let KENTA beat the poo poo out of Naito back in the Dome, LIJ is the best

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Jay White's promo in that video was also great, too. He also said he had Mamba Mentality which kind of fits his character (thankfully he didn't expand on that). He will carry SANADA into a great match.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Was MVP that big in New Japan that they made a vanity belt just for him? I have never really heard of the guy.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So I went back and watched the New Japan Cup 2019 semi-final between Okada and Ishii. Even knowing the outcome it was a total banger (Ishii countering the Rainmaker with a headbutt to Okada's chin was such a good spot). It made me curious as to how Ishii got to join CHAOS, which used to be a heel faction in the past...? I'd watch those Recount videos, but is there a gist to CHAOS's history?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

forkboy84 posted:

At least Henare has never had a spell as a Junior, unlike Ishii.

I can't imagine for the life of me Ishii as a junior

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So how is Hiromu able to fly

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is there a story behind the name "Dick Togo"

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Reference to Duke Togo, the pseudonym of the main character of Golgo 13

Oh that's the coolest thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
My friend (who lives on a different island) has gotten hard into NJPW thanks to her BF, and is really into Hiromu. We're set to meet in a week when they fly out to Manila for a comics market event. God it's nice to have friends who are into New Japan as well.