Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
lol. that's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mikl posted:

He's the current arc's villain's son, who idolises a dude his dad killed like a million years ago and wants to be exactly like him, to the point of disowning his dad and deciding to help the heroes.

What's funny is that everyone on the villains' side treats him like a man, no question, so they're 100% accepting of him being a dude. Just, you know, not of him helping the heroes.

I like to picture how the conversation went down, actually :allears:

Yamato: "Dad I'm not a girl I want to be a boy."
Kaidou: "That's okay, son."
Yamato: "More specifically, Kozuki Oden."
Kaidou: "you WHAT"

https://youtu.be/LP9ltysKHuI

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Yuu Morisawa posted:

imagine enjoying things lol
Legit, most of the recommendations I've gotten here have been solid-gold, even if sometimes they take me across all sorts of places on the feels spectrum.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yamato owns, he is excellent trans rep and a very cool dude, and the part where some cis losers don't respect him and his pronouns just because he has the big baps is real hosed.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

gnome7 posted:

Yamato owns, he is excellent trans rep and a very cool dude, and the part where some cis losers don't respect him and his pronouns just because he has the big baps is real hosed.
I'm surprised he managed to make a good trans character given his track record

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

there's two

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
There's also Kikunojo, a trans-girl samurai from the same arc and she's the best.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my loving god One Piece has a lot of characters.

But that’s dope!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Thinking about how Witch Weapon again... its so sad it had to die... we had a yuri gacha game with a genderswap protag... but they made it a chore to play... why couldn't they get it right... they were so close... we need to go back... we'll make them fix it this time... we need to go back...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf the entire one piece fandom by and large seems to accept yamato as a dude, the twitter trend about it being a 'debate' was basically just a psyop to cause drama on twitter's part. if you went into the tag just as it started it was entirely support for the character, the arguing only started once twitter said there was an argument and people started quote-tweeting people who were just being stupid, not malicious (like not getting that transdudes exist, not being HEH YAMATO IS CLEARLY A WOMAN) and the whole thing was a mess.

in short, never let twitter dictate how you feel about other people! the moment you define yourself by opposition to something else, your soul has been replaced by a copy of the thing you hate!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
remember how in witch weapon one of the very first things the protagnist does after waking up to discover she was now a woman was to say ""I do have dreams like this from time to time"

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 1, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't read one piece since I was in elementary, what track record does he have that would be bad?

Snooze Cruise posted:

Thinking about how Witch Weapon again... its so sad it had to die... we had a yuri gacha game with a genderswap protag... but they made it a chore to play... why couldn't they get it right... they were so close... we need to go back... we'll make them fix it this time... we need to go back...

Witch weapon died? Rip.

It was something I wanted to like a lot more than it seemed to want me to like it. So much potential...

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 1, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

I haven't read one piece since I was in elementary, what track record does he have that would be bad?
sanji's power up during the timeskip is caused because hes stuck on an island of drag queens/gay men/transwomen (oda has no idea what the difference is) who want to molest him and he beats them all u p for two years and is constantly disgusted by him. this makes him a more powerful fighter. he spends the entire first post timeskip arc passing out in joy and being constantly obsessed with the fact that he's finally seeing 'real women' again.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm just gonna drive-by mention that Crocodile (the villain of the Alabasta arc) is very likely a trans man.

(I have proof to back this up.)

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The most baffling part of the Sanji cover story for me is that it takes place during the same chapters where Luffy meets Ivankov and Inazuma, who switch genders literally whenever they feel like it and run a haven for queer pirates in the government's supermax prison and the story treats this as an unambiguously good thing

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Oda is an author of contrasts

Bon Clay, one of the best characters in the series, is non-binary and very cool.

They are also kind of a parody of a human being and one of the more intentionally ugly characters, for no other reason than being an okama.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe the guy who hangs out with two separate convicted pedophiles and gets them their jobs back, is just a piece of poo poo?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I've said it before, possibly in this thread, characters like Ivankov make One Piece's trans characters take on a new light that was likely completely unintentional. Their power lets them change peoples' gender (among other things) with hormone injections, and will freely do this for people who want it.

Therefore, the 'unconvincing transvestites' that chase Sanji around choose to keep their five-o-clock-shadow and other masculine traits, intentionally identifying as trans-women rather than 'passing'.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Mikl posted:

I'm just gonna drive-by mention that Crocodile (the villain of the Alabasta arc) is very likely a trans man.

(I have proof to back this up.)

im actually curious about this one and want to hear more. I dropped off early in dressrosa so I’m not going to be familiar with any references after that unfortunately

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

child crocodile is fairly androgynous. the large face scar could be seen as having resulted from wanting to change his face to look more like a dude

alsot ivankov knew crocodile prior to the way he is current day:

so it's entirely possible that ivankov gave crocodile the gender fluid

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I wonder if his relationship with Whitebeard was similar to Yamato and Oden's. His reaction to Whitebeard getting powered up stabbed by Squard was intense by his standards and more emotional than many of Whitebeard's sons.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Erg posted:

im actually curious about this one and want to hear more. I dropped off early in dressrosa so I’m not going to be familiar with any references after that unfortunately

Yeah, others have explained this, but to go into more details, with references so people who don't know One Piece will understand. Or at least follow along.

Crocodile is a big beefy dude, and the main villain of the Baroque Works Saga (which ran from September 1999 to February 2002). At the end of the story arc, he's defeated by Luffy, the protagonist, and caught by the government, who throw him into Impel Down (which is basically supermax) along with his accomplices; while he's there, some of his other accomplices stage a breakout, and offer Crocodile the chance to go with them, but Crocodile goes "Yeah no thanks, I'm good," and they leave him there.

Flash forward to several story arcs later. In the World Government Saga (March 2008 - August 2010), Luffy's brother, Ace, is captured by the government, sentenced to death, and thrown into Impel Down. Luffy breaks into the pison to rescue his brother, but he's defeated by the warden, and thrown into the deepest level of the prison.

While there, Luffy meets Ivankov, who has the power to control the hormones of anyone they wish, including themselves: this includes changing a person's gender as Ivankov wishes (they use this to full effect, switching gender at the drop of a hat, sometimes even between panels). Ivankov has built what amounts to a queer commune for the prisoners of Impel Down, and they inform Luffy that unfortunately Ace has already been taken out of the prison, to be delivered to the chopping block, so now Luffy has to break out of Impel Down to go rescue his brother.

Ivankov decides to accompany Luffy because reasons (Luffy is secretly the son of Dragon, who is one of Ivankov's closest allies), so they begin fighting their way from the deepest level back to the surface. Along the way they run into Crocodile's cell, and this happens:

There are several ways this could be interpreted, but one of the most plausible reading is, "If you don't help us, Crocodile, I will reveal to everyone that you're a trans man."

...Which is quite lovely if you ask me! Ivankov is basically threatening to out a trans person if he won't comply. But still, this is it.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 1, 2021

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami

Endorph posted:

maybe the guy who hangs out with two separate convicted pedophiles and gets them their jobs back, is just a piece of poo poo?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oda thinks kidfuckers are a-okay. he drew that child croc and the rurouni kenshin guy was like 'yum, would like me a piece of that!!' and oda went 'oh you, my lovable mentor!' and ruffled his hair and gave him a doggy treat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

woof woof, went the kenshin guy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Acerbatus posted:

Witch weapon died? Rip.

It was something I wanted to like a lot more than it seemed to want me to like it. So much potential...

in remembrance i am now naming it the offical mobage of the thread

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

skaianDestiny posted:

If anyone's fine with reading a 1 million word completed quest based on Bleach that's so much more gay (and in a way that ties into the story's themes) and focuses on a group of characters who got screwed over in the original story and fleshes them out in a way that blows the original out of the water, I highly recommend Now You Feel Like Number None:
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/now-you-feel-like-number-none-bleach-arrancar-quest.37531/
Story only:
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/now-you-feel-like-number-none-bleach-arrancar-quest.37531/reader/

Ok, I'm about a thousand pages into this (which is to say like 25% of the way through, this thing is massive) and really enjoying it

It does need a bit of preprocessing to be readable, though; in particular it starts with like ~100 pages of character sheets and XP logs which are (a) completely irrelevant if you just want to read the story and (b) full of spoilers, since they reflect the state of the characters at the end of the story, not the beginning

Some of the posts also end with dozens of pages of vote logs which can be pruned without losing anything of value

But having done that, it's really tasty. Thank you for the recommendation!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Endorph posted:

tbf the entire one piece fandom by and large seems to accept yamato as a dude, the twitter trend about it being a 'debate' was basically just a psyop to cause drama on twitter's part. if you went into the tag just as it started it was entirely support for the character, the arguing only started once twitter said there was an argument and people started quote-tweeting people who were just being stupid, not malicious (like not getting that transdudes exist, not being HEH YAMATO IS CLEARLY A WOMAN) and the whole thing was a mess.

in short, never let twitter dictate how you feel about other people! the moment you define yourself by opposition to something else, your soul has been replaced by a copy of the thing you hate!

As is usually the case, it's whoever is control of the Wiki who's being most publicly assholish.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

The official translator a.k.a. the guy with a direct line to Oda's editor says Yamato is a dude but obviously the nerd with a year of undergrad Japanese who spends 14 hours a day undoing revisions knows better.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, I'm about a thousand pages into this (which is to say like 25% of the way through, this thing is massive) and really enjoying it

It does need a bit of preprocessing to be readable, though; in particular it starts with like ~100 pages of character sheets and XP logs which are (a) completely irrelevant if you just want to read the story and (b) full of spoilers, since they reflect the state of the characters at the end of the story, not the beginning

Some of the posts also end with dozens of pages of vote logs which can be pruned without losing anything of value

But having done that, it's really tasty. Thank you for the recommendation!

Oh just to make it easier for you to read each actual story post has a link at the bottom/top of the post to bring you straight to the next story post. It's part of the threadmark system. The second link in my post is purely story posts too.

If you still wanna read through the discussion (which indeed is like half the fun of quests) feel free! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I Am Fowl posted:

As is usually the case, it's whoever is control of the Wiki who's being most publicly assholish.
i have never seen a fan wiki not be an rear end in a top hat about a trans character

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

i have never seen a fan wiki not be an rear end in a top hat about a trans character

Another area where TFWiki is the gold standard of fan wikis

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Fan wikis are run by the people with the most energy to dedicate to shouting everyone else down which is inevitably cis men.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

skaianDestiny posted:

Oh just to make it easier for you to read each actual story post has a link at the bottom/top of the post to bring you straight to the next story post. It's part of the threadmark system. The second link in my post is purely story posts too.

If you still wanna read through the discussion (which indeed is like half the fun of quests) feel free! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Oh no, this is using the threadmarks (specifically, using fichub to dump just the threadmarked posts to Epub, then editing that for easier reading). It fucks up some of the formatting but if I had to actually sit in front of a computer to read this I'd never make it through the first chapter.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

im glad this is updating again

e: One shot by Yukiko about a hostess

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 5, 2021

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

was rereading the love doctor because i was thinking about it after playing lady in mystery (same artist) and lol it straights up makes a cameo in it

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 8, 2021

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami
It's Pride Month y'all

I should finish reading Bloom into You

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i recommend doing that, the last chunk of the manga is the best part. really hope the anime can get a s2 some day cause it ends like right before where i came around from thinking it was just decent to actually liking it a fair bit

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Happy pride month, posting my favorite gay zombies

https://twitter.com/HimemiyaRea/status/1394233526489423873

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post