Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
i know it's not actually an lgbt anime, but can i take a second to give a shoutout to the 1981 osamu tezuka/sanrio movie The Fantastic Adventures of Unico?

Unico is a pink haired unicorn boy who can grant people wishes when he feels true love for them. The gods in heaven, who are all old white men, fear that he is taking control away from them by bringing people too much joy on his own, so they hire a spirit called the Night Wind to assassinate him. Unico is forced into exile and wanders the world meeting outcasts and making friends with them while trying to grant them what their heart truly desires. His horn can also slice through solid stone and turn into a drill, and sometimes he transforms into a beautiful horned pegasus to fight evil.

There's something about Unico that really deeply resonates with me. he's just this lonely little pink haired boy that wants to love people but social forces outside of his control are always trying to pull him away from his friends. one of the first things he does in the movie is make friends with the Devil of Solitude and teach him that it's more fun to have friends than to be alone, but then Unico immediately has to flee from the old white men who want him dead.

I basically think Unico was a gay icon way ahead of his time

edit: I haven't seen it but there's also a movie where Unico saves the planet from the ravages of manmade climate change

Cephas fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Squiddycat posted:

Hi I'm a trans woman and I like anime

Haibane Renmei is the poo poo

:hr:

Haibane Renmei was basically the totality of my egg teenage years. I spent so much time daydreaming about hatching from a cocoon as a cute sad angel girl who got to live in an all-female commune.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Shiki Ryougi is nonbinary (I guess more specifically bigender) and has a bi boyfriend. Shiki's gender identity and Mikiya's orientation are actually pretty major elements of the otherwise impenetrable Nasu nonsense story. I thought that was pretty cool, like this story about metaphysical serial killers was getting too abstract, let's bring it back down to earth and make it more relatable by making them trans and gay.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
"he is spreading a street drug that is 20x more powerful than weed" is still my favorite Nasu act of villainy

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

ToxicFrog posted:

Ranma is a lot longer than it needed to be, and I never finished it as a result (same problem with Inuyasha). I do give it credit for having a trans protagonist in the 80s, though. (Yes, I know that may not have been what the author was deliberately aiming for, but there is quite a lot of textual support for it to the point where you have to go out of your way to find a reading where Ranma isn't trans.)

Yeah, that's on my list too.

S....such power

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I know I'm late to the party but Witch's Servant is incredibly cute and Rei is the biggest QT pie

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Eric stole the show and also my big gay nonbinary heart

what a flirt

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Almost fully caught up with Witch's servant and I have some mixed feelings on this current arc. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but it seems kinda weird for the series to clearly understand how your physical body and your gender/sexual orientation aren't linked yet having Arsenio act so different as a girl and instantly fall in love with his friend kinda rubs me the wrong way...I'm not even opposed to it in concept, just him suddenly getting all emotional and girly when there was 0 of that at all with his personality before seems weird. IDK.

Arsenio is definitely really gay for Sauro from the start. I think a big part of it is that Arsenio grew up with 1. rigid ideas about gender and sexuality and 2. lots of self-loathing from being labeled a monster and getting tortured/killed by his own religion. When he gets a girl's body, all the big gay feelings he has for Sauro are less taboo, and narratively he's disguised as a girl to get the key back so he is also playing with ideas like "should I ask him out on a date to see if I can find the key?" which is breaking down some of those mental barriers as well. He's also actively getting hit on by Sauro, which he's never had before. Another factor I think is that they mention since he was enchanted by wind magic, he's become smaller and daintier, which could psychologically prime him to express more vulnerable parts of himself that he normally kept locked away.

i can't believe a manga that started out with a horny fetlife cow king turned into the story i've felt the most representation in ever

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Arsenio Rei Lloyd Eric King Bull is a horndog who takes good care of the people around him and mercilessly fights a recurring enemy to gain ownership over a pair of body parts.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
This isn't exactly the best thread to ask in, but is there an analogous LGBT comics chat anywhere else on SA? I've been reading Tillie Walden's very gay indie comics lately and I realized I didn't know if Something Awful had a gay comics thread for stuff other than manga

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
idk what's going on right now but i want lloyd and rei to beat it up so the queer times can keep rolling

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
deathgod twilight sounds like a rad name for a gay coming of age manga

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
the adrtw lgbt chat - i can't imagine myself wanting a world where there aren't homos

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Are there any good manga that deal with being lesbian, bi, or trans with that kind of heavier, psychological treatment? I feel like most of the gay psychological dramas I've read are mostly about gay guys, like this one and Shimanami Tasogare. Trans ones I can think of off the top of my head are bokura no hentai and that one seifuku one about the three hot mess characters and their awful relationships

Sometimes I just want vicarious catharsis through anime suffering

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Oh, yeah, I totally forgot about My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness, I guess bc it's nonfiction it didn't cross my mind. It's really good. I was so happy to see that the sequel, My Solo Exchange Diary, was for sale at Barnes & Noble.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Endorph posted:

if you want yuri that digs deep into the self-loathing that comes with being a lesbian, id recommend madoka magica rebellion

That's true. I guess Madoka Rebellion and Utena are the lesbian psychodramas I was looking for.

Still thinkin about Homuchan and her feelings after all these years.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I've had a couple of friends who have used "homo" irreverently, usually when referring to themselves. Same with "lesbo," which now that I think about it doesn't bother me except that the bo makes it sound like an insult instead of the name of an island, which is probably why middle schoolers liked it so much. I know some ppl who have been trying to reclaim "that's so gay" but I will never abide that, gently caress middle schooler language.

Anyway I think using "homos" in 2020 feels kind of crude but it's not offensive to me. A scanslator sticking to "homos" is a lot less egregious to me than that weird trend a while back of translating otokonoko as "girlyboy"

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I didn't think the moe trans maid cafe manga would make me feel nauseous but here we are

it's a really good manga but jeez that dug up some memories....

she's a complete wreck but I hope things work out for Sakura too :ohdear:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Those two page spreads are great imo

Chapter 10 is probably the weakest point in the whole thing. I feel like its heart is in the right place, but the execution is just extremely questionable (as in, an editor should have said "what were you thinking?"). My friend who read it described it as going full disney channel original movie and i think that really is how it feels.

the manga still sincerely approaches difficult to express ideas about sexuality and trauma, so i feel like it gets to burn its get out of jail free card on a bad chapter, even if that chapter is supposed to be the climax of the story.

Edit: oops I mean chapter 10 lol

Cephas fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 11, 2020

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I know i'm late to the show but The Woman You Are And Me is really lovely :kimchi:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I changed my FF14 character's aesthetic from tomboy knight to long-haired girl in a pink yukata w/ blue nails and it made me feel exactly like Rei and the genderwap Hero

gender euphoria is powerful enough to be felt virtually through your video game avatar

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

i should do a photoshoot with her short boyish hair sometimes. it makes her look like shes crossdressing when she wears dancer attire

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
i wish i had a hot tall bf who has an adopted witch daughter and is very chill about turning into a tiny lady and getting his boobs touched

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Egg is at least 1000000% better/funnier than those old hideously tortured "butterfly emerging from its cocoon" metaphors that preceded it

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

quote:

Pope Francis recently criticized modern views on gender identity, going so far as to compare the basis for transgender rights to nuclear weapons

metalqueer launches nukes?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
diebuster?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Doc V posted:

Yeah, the term for a male yuri fan is himedanshi (and logically, a female yuri fan is himejoshi)

Princess lad is a great name, drat

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
'coming out as trans by dressing up one day and loving it, and now my best friend is pampering and falling in love with me' is the best manga genre

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Precure looks cute, do I have to watch it in any order?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
King Bull is going to turn out to be a bull-shaped egg that will hatch into a beautiful pan genderqueer queen

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Blessed content

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Ore ga Watashi ni Naru Made is hitting me way harder than I was expecting it too. Melancholic children trying to figure out their gender identity is a real Genre, huh

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

T_T tengoku no kamisama bless these gays

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Archipel has an interesting interview of Hirashi Eguchi, the Hibari-kun mangaka.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a6Wqq4zifw

quote:

The ideal girl for me is the one I would have wanted to become if I were born a girl . . . . It really is the frustration of not being born as a girl which fuels my drawings.

Straight-up gender dysphoria :smith:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
It's a fine final chapter I guess. The whole family arc was pretty harrowing, but it resolved pretty tidily so I feel like the story entered a "gotta wrap this up now" phase. As a whole I thought it was a great manga though, Mogumo is a good character. The manga definitely helped me figure out some enby feelings in myself.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

renessia posted:

thinkin' a lot about wonder egg priority and how it has a trans girl kissin' a trans guy. good stuff, great show.

I wanna buy one of Momoe's trans flag bras and one of Kaoru's trans flag jackets

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Congratulations! :)

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas