Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

i don't think that is what made polyanna read it as fetishy but the motifs used throughout the manga.

i dont know what motifs are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Well you see before Tv Tropes there was Motif-Index of Folk-Literature and
And thats how fate stay night was born

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you write a series where everyone is incredibly happy to be girls you're probably exploring some stuff yourself so im willing to give the author some slack

like its basically of the same genre as jokes about 5g towers making everyone girls where people go 'haha i wish' or whatever, jsut messing around with the transformative fantasy

Pollyanna posted:

Also strange to me is the insistence on all girls being small cutesy etc (I might be wrong on this). That's not a bad thing but...there's many kinds of girls out there? Not all of us are like that.
this is true but most transwomen probably wish their own body was smaller or cuter, at least at first, which again also just feels like the author messing around with the transformative fantasy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think realistic explorations are good but the magical gendersword manga probably isnt the best platform for it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its a sweet sentiment but 'attracted to both sexes by nature, most just havent accepted that' is, uhhh

i get what they mean from one direction but if you flip it to think about gay people its a little rough

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, yeah, I think you guys are slightly overestimating how much like, stock or drama im putting into this, it's more just a 'kinda eh but i get what the intent is esp. in context' not any kind of serious criticism

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Talking about bl in this one isnt really making GBS threads it up lol, this is a catchall one, theres just also a bl thread

Like how theres a general shonen thread but we have a bleach thread, a one piece thread, etc too, even though those come up in the shonen thread some as well

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

egg tats posted:

I'm not saying this doesn't happen, but I've literally never seen someone point at a person presenting as cis and declare them an egg.

manga characters do not count, because they aren't real (sorry everyone)

'presenting as cis' is doing a lot of work in this sentence

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

basically theres a difference between 'this is my read on the fictional character' and 'this is what the fictional character is'

i dont think anyone here crossed that line exactly but the egg thing has pretty bad associations with

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Discussing fictional characters isn't a problem in and of itself but it can reveal a blanket gender nonconforming = closeted trans attitude that is harmful when applied to real people

this so some people expressed their personal distaste for that kinda catchphrase in a jokey way

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

What does egg mean
'closeted trans person who has not yet realized they're trans'

normal descriptor when self-applied talking about your past but a ton of people trieed to talk about how random cis dudes who like crossdressing were CUTE EGG BABIES and it was gross

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

T-man posted:

Anyway wasn't the egg in Utena a metaphor for breaking out of heteronormativity? That's how I always read it.
I think the egg in utena was just a metaphor for becoming an adult, making your own decisions, etc. Applies to being gay but also to just society in general. Gender norms/expectations, what your parents want, that sorta thing. You can stay in the shell and do what youre told or you can hatch and be yourself.

Theres characters who never really have a gender/sexuality angle in utena but theres no characters who dont have tha kinda being your real self angle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

It's simply indicative of a culture gap where if everyone stopped saying it today no one would relate to each other any more than they do now. I'll still come say 'i saw the things that sucked rear end happen' whenever someone says they didn't but uh, that's it, no clue where I'm going with this

Imagining the mgs5 scene where skull face talks about language but hes entirely talking about 'queer' 'egg' and 'dyke'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

boss, you doxxed a child?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you understood snatcher?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RottenK posted:

fujoshi get some weird hate from online lefties sometimes but i never undestood it

they have no interest in bl and no understanding of it so they just believe whatever the first thing theyre told is

you get the same thing with yuri

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This might just expose my ignorance but I feel like I see a lot less complaints about Fujoshis than from a couple of years ago. Nowadays most of the hate i see is from shonen fans who get really upset when the cool rival with tonnes of screentime tops popularity polls.
if you go on twitter you can see tons of 14 year olds saying fujos are bigots

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the solution is to stop reading anything 14 year olds on twitter say

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arzaac posted:

It's enough to make me a little wary of people that use that moniker.
Fujoshi as a term is pretty complicated because it was originally a sexist insult that the people being made fun of reclaimed. So I'd uh, give people using it a lot of slack.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8yuFmJVwtY

tl;dr: there was a hentai seller that had a comedy wooden oar with YAOI written on it in sharpie at one of their booths one year

someone asked to buy it

it became a meme

people started smacking each other on the rear end with it at cons

people started smacking people who werent in on the joke on the rear end with it at cons

it got banned

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

As a sexy twink who was too young for the first wave I'm hoping hetalia 2 brings back the spanking fujos (with safer equipment this time)

the funniest detail of that story that isnt in that video, is that a separate company tried to make a yuri paddle and a bunch of people called them gross and talked about how yuri fans were perverted dudes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

Pitching a yaoi manga where a guy breaks a sexy cosplay dudes tailbone with the yuri paddle and they fall in love when he visits him at the hospital every day

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

T-man posted:

Any good recs for sci-fi lgbt anime?

mobile suit gundam: ironblooded orphans *said sincerely*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RottenK posted:

does it really count? I remember the gay guy, but he's just a side character and he never even gets to confess to his love interest. Though he got to survive the ending.
shino's bi and also he does confess. or well, he starts to confess, shino cuts him off, and then the next ep it shows that shino already knew.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hungry posted:

'Fujoshi' rolls off the tongue really nicely, but there's no word for the opposite.
Theres fundanshi but its very rarely used and nobody agrees on if it means male yuri fan or male bl fan

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if there was anyone besides rose and colonel in that game's radio crew i completely forgot them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i forgot the bomb guy existed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

No w...!

No. No. If we're doing this, it's worth doing right.

[clears throat]

ありえない!
what

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cephas posted:

Precure looks cute, do I have to watch it in any order?
No, it's just a bunch of magical girl shows. There's some callbacks and some crossover movies but there's no continuous narrative between shows, not even in the background or subtly implied. Just pick whichever season seems most appealing to you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how the gently caress did none of you people mention double house

its only 3 chapters and it barely has an ending or even a plot arc but its an incredibly good manga

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's a bit after school special-y but i get what it's going for, and it's kinda hard to tie up all this stuff in just a few chapters. and i definitely appreciate them going for the happy ending. ofc it could have been a happy ending even if the parents were shittier, but still

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goblin week posted:

The "entire point" of Wikipedia is to give the monopoly of curating public knowledge to white men who have "proven their worth as editors" by writing five thousand transformers articles

and the actual transformers wiki is funnier and more informative, is the fucekd up part

but yeah wikipedia is a site controlled by a small elitist, conservative cabal. every single article about anything with a trans character is like this and it always gets 'fixed' if you try to change it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can just say 'hey can you put a warning on that' without being a little creep, lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

If you want to complain about me being an SJW or debate what constitutes sexual assault knock yourself out, I'm just asking you to put "cw: sexual assault" or something.
like why on earth would you default to, this, in a thread about lgbt issues where everyone's mostly been pretty chill. like what do you get out of immediately jumping down someone's throat. how do you know the person you're yelling at isnt a victim of sexual assault and having poo poo like this thrown at them is way worse than reading a manga with some iffy sex jokes, or has known people who were hurt by that poo poo, or whatever. why are you like this. the world isn't your enemy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also is literally one panel of 'strip' 'iyaaa knock it off~' in a sex comedy manga with five pages,

quote:

While it's totally within your right to enjoy any number of manga about a wide variety of non-consensual acts, I don't think making a sarcastic remark about dropping them unmarked in a thread that isn't specifically about those kinds of fetish subjects is out of line.

this? because uh, its kinda not, and you exaggerating it to this degree just to harass someone and basically tell them they don't care about sexual assault/are a terrible rightwinger if they don't agree with your weird take, is way worse, than not warning for that, lol.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

i think we should just move on, i edit the post and there isn't really anything to be resolved. Acerbatus will keep on Acerbatus-ing and this time they had something legitmate to use so continuing this is just going to be unpleasant for the whole thread.
define 'legitimate' but whatever, its just frustrating seeing poo poo that affected me deeply used as ammo for whatever dumb poo poo acerbatus likes to pull

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

You know, I've specifically told you in detail about the sexual assault I've been subject to so I don't appreciate you saying it's just being "used as ammo".
i literally didnt know who you were

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

toalpaz when i ask you to post in the thread because i was feeling self concious that most posts lately have been my own i didn't want you to be this obivous

lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dynasty-scans' tags kinda suck, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lih posted:

i'm not really big on nagata kabi's work, it's just unrelentlessly bleak and depressing and makes me hope she really gets the help she desperately needs. it's not even like, relatable to me (thankfully i guess?) as a severely depressed & maladjusted weirdo so i don't quite understand what people really get out of it
differnet people have different experiences with depression?