Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Everyone stop what you're doing and read this

https://mangadex.org/title/31395/i-turned-my-childhood-friend-into-a-girl

It's super gay (and also trans, probably).

Also hi thread, I had no idea this thread existed, I stumbled upon it by chance. Hello!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Two: the enby protagonist, and a trans girl. (Three if you count the owner.)

Obligatory disclaimer: not all non-binary folks identify as trans, and if they don't, that's entirely valid.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

read vampiress lord thing they also did

I love the scene where she asks the other vampire about her feelings

"So yeah there's this friend of mine and I really really really like her, like really like her, can't get her out of my head like her. Is this a vampire thing?"

"Nah, you're just a lesbian, that's all."

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Oh no she's cute
(All of Hiura's classmates, probably)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

How to properly support your trans GF.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Aurora posted:

made the mistake of reading the comments section again

Never read the comments.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

All the characters in Bloom Into You are dumb idiot babies (i.e. teens), especially Yuu and Touko. But I love them anyway.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Just finished Bloom Into You. Holy poo poo, that was really, really good. It was exactly the kind of cozy, heartwarming story I need right now, and I loved every page of it. Not sure what to read next -- Yokohama Shopping Log?

I mean, you say that, but throughout this entire series, Yuu, Touko, and Sayaka have all acted with dramatically more emotional maturity that I see in a lot of fictional adults

Or a lot of real-world adults, for that matter

Or basically anyone I knew in university, including myself

You're right, it's just that I tend to see characters I like as my precious children who must be protected, so being proud of them comes with the territory.

Read Girl Friends next. Or Kase-san.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

After Hours. The summary: "Asahina Emi, an ordinary girl dragged along to a club by a friend, has a chance encounter with Kei, a savvy, fashionable, vinyl-collecting lesbian - and what unfolds a heart-throbbing, shimmering tale of girl meets girl against the backdrop of Tokyo's vibrant nightlife scene."

It should have an official english translation too iirc?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

You can't just say that in passing and not give a title!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Fukakai na Boku no Subete wo?

Yeah this ☝

A.k.a. Love Me For What I Am in English.

Link: https://mangadex.org/title/29840/fukakai-na-boku-no-subete-o

It's about a bunch of AMAB people who work in a "crossdressing café" and their happenings, mostly centered about the main couple (an AMAB enby and a cis guy).

It's great because you have many characters each with their own reason for dressing as girls:

- Two are cis guys, one crossdresses because he likes the cute clothes and the other because his boyfriend likes how he looks in cute clothes;
- Two are trans girls (one of which is the café's owner);
- And one is an Enby who likes cute clothes, but tries to tailor them to their tastes.

It's very good and has very complex interpersonal relationships, you get cute moments like this for instance:

And as an aside: it also has a three-part doujin prequel by the same author called Kimi Dake no Ponytail which centers on one of the side characters and which came out before the story was serialised, but I won't link it here because while it's also cute and heartwarming it's also very much NSFW.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

atrus50 posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/45515/boys-run-the-riot

two guys starting a streetwear business in high school standing five feet apart cuz they're not gay

honestly disappointing how much this doesnt get into the streetwear culture aspect

Do not read the comments. I didn't want to read them, but my curiosity got the best of me so I read them anyway, so now I'm telling you: do NOT read the comments.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Mom is good :hai:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

it's bad and unfunny

Not emptyquoting to say, compare this:

https://mangadex.org/title/21109/kami-sama-no-ekohiiki

By the Liar Lily author. A guy dies in a road accident and a god resurrects him as a girl so he can get with the dude he loved in life.

It's funny because the newly-girled guy has several moments of HOW DO I GIRL, but then it turns into a thoughtful examination of gender roles and relationships.

Also it has a super wholesome mention of trans people JUST AS AN ASIDE without making a big deal of it. The scene goes basically, a guy and a girl are chatting, and the guy spots another girl in the distance. The girl asks him who the other girl is.

:v: "She's my ex-boyfriend."
"Wait what."
:v: "I'm bi, it's no big deal."
"No, go back to the 'ex-boyfriend' bit."
:v: "Oh, she's trans, when we were together I still thought she was a guy. Then she transitioned, I was ok with it, but in the end it didn't work out."

Ayumi Komura does good gay stuff.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I liked Ranma a lot when I read it, especially since there was the whole egg thing going on in my life back then. I don't know if I would enjoy it if I read it now (it's been at least a decade since I touched it last), because...

1. It's a product of its time. It's extremely late 80s - early 90s.

2. Takahashi is extremely unable to just end a story when it reaches its natural conclusion (see also: Inuyasha). It just kept going on and on and on and on.

3. I've read so much Ranma fan fiction. SO MUCH. I probably have a highly idealised version of the characters in mind, based on what the fandom consensus is, and I don't want to ruin them by re-reading the canon version.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Bakarina is "I accidentally a whole bisexual harem" the manga

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Family Compo was a very formative manga for the baby trans I was when I read it (early aughts). I really enjoyed it, though it has some... Iffy stuff in it, both regarding gender and sexuality and other stuff. It holds up pretty well though, if you read it under the lens of "it was written in late '90s Japan and it's a product of its time and describes what the situation was like".

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The next time I think about reading the comments on any lgbt+ related manga I want one of you to slap some sense into me.

JFC what a shithole.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Apologies for the double post

From the twitter of the author of that "I made my friend cute" manga

https://twitter.com/azusa_banjo/status/1253271180246581254

I challenge anyone to tell me this isn't a trans girl. She's not even with her boyfriend in those first three panels and yet look how happy she is with something simple like a cute hairstyle.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I for one welcome our new "what even is gender" overlord

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

skaianDestiny posted:

I'm posting it here cause anime spoilers but oh my god someone wrote a fic where the Maria/isekai!Katarina route is a DLC for Fortune Lovers and how people react to it on social media. It's loving amazing.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/17146268

Hahaha

quote:

I JUST MET KATARINA

HOLY poo poo

SHE'S COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AND ALSO THE BEST????

:allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Also Mage & Demon Queen has a totally wholesome trans lesbian character

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

He could be redeemed still, depending on how he acts from now on.

As it stands, he's currently a fash bigot fundie shitheel.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Re: Mangadex and anything LGBTQ+, but mostly regarding the T

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

New Witch's Servant.

Lost it at owl facepalm, and lost it again at HYPERSLAP!!!

This series is so good :allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Witch's Servant is amazing. It started as a generic low-rent and kinda iffy fantasy fare (I am so glad King Bull isn't showing up that much any more), and it has become a really nice story about a found family of queer folks.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Rody One Half posted:

I confess I basically have negative interest in the prequel since that's just going to be Life In Fundieland

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

After all the chapters that have been released, the extras for How To Make a (Girl) Fall In Love are out too, and we finally see Hiura's perspective.

At this point I'm 100% sure Hiura is a trans girl who hasn't quite fully cracked yet, but is well on her way.

I mean. "I'm just crossdressing to hook up with the guy I like, honest" or being happy that your face is becoming softer or teasing your boyfriend because he's been having impure thoughts about you.

I mean, come on. I know Japanese media rarely comes out and says "this person is trans" explicitly, but come on.

Also:

:thunk:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I felt that thousand-mile stare in my bones.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

In the most recent chapter of Kimi no Sei, daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayum

Man, this is a pretty good series so far. Also, I feel you, Iori :smith:

AAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I checked the manga out because of this post. At first I was like "Oh another gender-bending story with the barest excuse for why the characters change, BORING" but I stuck with it and suddenly actual trans and gnc characters, including the very first depiction of a trans man wearing his binder that I've seen in a manga. I'm actually impressed.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Today, in Handsome Girl and Sheltered Girl:

Thank you, author, for this blessing. I am absolutely here for beautiful gnc boy action.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I love that one guy went "...How the hell do you know that?" :allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

In today's How to Make a Girl Fall in Love: hairstyles and napes.

You'll never convince me Hiura's not a trans girl who's laboriously hatching her egg.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I thought I made it clear in my post that this is my opinion? I didn't even use "an egg" to describe Hiura, I said "she's hatching her egg" which is shorthand for "figuring out her feelings and overall identity."

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

lih posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/40317/ore-ga-watashi-ni-naru-made

this is surprisingly good about growing up with gender issues, much better than i would have thought from the description & premise

I tried reading this, but I just can't. It's not because of its quality or anything like that, it's because every time the protagonist gets dysphoria or has something bad happen to them it's just too big of an Oof for me to stomach.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

We stan a straight GNC couple :hai:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Oh my god King Bull!!! :3:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

This has been on my to-check-out-when-finished list for a while -- worth the reading?

Solid series in my opinion. Did not quite stick the landing, but it's overall good.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

How To Make a Girl Fall in Love

Just kiss already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Also this is good and quite gay (and possibly trans as well). Though the pre-serialisation webcomic had some elements that were quite yikes, let's hope the serialised version doesn't head down that path.