Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

also heads up if anyone does try it out, I think the manga leans way more into ecchi poo poo than the anime. I haven't read it so I can't really speak for or against it, though.

I have read it, and I can confidently say that you shouldn't bother with it. It manages to do literally everything wrong that the anime does right, which is kind of amazing in its own way, but the lesbian relationships in particular are pretty badly fetishized (something that the anime noticeably avoids, at least by my estimate).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

Does this get past the point where the bull demon keeps trying to sexually assault the heroine and it's played for comedy or is he a reocurring character?

It does get past it, in my opinion, although the bull demon unfortunately doesn't stop appearing; his apperances have been getting progressively rarer, though. Pretty much everything else about the manga is extremely good.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Rody One Half posted:

Another new chapter of the witch's servant and the magical poly gay halfway house

https://mangadex.org/chapter/876785/1

It's still real good

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Is she kicking the bed in embarrassment/excitement? :kimchi:

The latter :v: The whole scene leading up to that is one of the most adorable things I've ever seen.
(Also small correction, Rei goes by 'he' (at least in the translation; I'm kinda curious how that's handled in the original Japanese))

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

The obvious answer is: Everyone x Everyone! (Except Betty and King Bull, for very different yet also similar reasons)

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Another new Witch's Servant chapter already. It is delightful from beginning to end. Stupid Sexy Arsenyo

It's old news by now, but i'm still kind of amazed how far this manga has evolved since its beginnings as generic creepy ecchi schlock. Even the demons are turning into interesting characters. How did that even happen?

I also have very ambivalent feelings about the Irish accents.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

She really is :3: But where did she get that harp from?

I wonder if Betty will get some backstory at some point. It's probably not an everyday matter in that world that a 12-year-old is studying under a witch somewhere in the woods while her biological family is never even mentioned.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

CYBEReris posted:

i feel bad for vivian, everyone enjoying a cute poly coven without her

Yeah, from what little we've seen and heard of Vivian, I get the impression that she'd be all over that.

Once she's reawakened I fully expect here to hook up with Brenda, to be honest.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I really love witch's servant...But it's been getting hard to read with mangadex making GBS threads the bed so badly.

What exactly do you mean? There weren't any issues when I was reading the new chapter just now (not saying that those issues don't exist, I'm just curious because it didn't happen to me yet).

By the way, another new chapter, with extremely important developments!

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm really hoping the rest of the prequel gets translated soon.

I didn't even know about that prequel until now. Neat!

Endorph posted:

i understand some trepidation but at the same judging things based off preconceived notions of the artform its in instead of hat it actually does sucks a lot tbh

For me at least it wasn't so much an artstyle thing and more a matter of content in the first few chapters where Rei's body pretty much just gets sexualized a whole lot. I found the tonal shift a few chapters in really staggering (in a very good way).

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Rody One Half posted:

I confess I basically have negative interest in the prequel since that's just going to be Life In Fundieland

Having read the chapters currently translated, yeah that's pretty accurate. It certainly doesn't have any of the original manga's LGBTQ+ content (at least not yet). I still enjoyed it, it's a good story with a great sense of comedic timing, but it's basically a different genre than Witch's Servant.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Seems like the well of untranslated Witch's Servant chapters hasn't quite dried up yet. In another "I can't believe how far this has come since the first chapters" move, King Bull might actually be turning into a compelling character.

Also, Eric's new outfit is just the absolute cutest thing :kimchi:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

More Witch's Servant. Sauro certainly has priorities.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Well, there's still at least Brenda, Sam and Vivian who can potentially get into the fray, so I'd say we can go deeper here :v:

Also, Eric and Lloyd, finally happening :3:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Rody One Half posted:

There's exactly zero chance I ever would have tried Witch's Servant without this thread.

Yeah, same.

Main Paineframe posted:

Love Me For Who I Am/Fukakai na Boku no Subete o is real good and i'm glad i learned about it by reading this thread

as someone who's been feeling lately like maybe i'm not so binary after all, it has been a really constructive and positive read

I knew about that one before, but as for the second part, uhm, also same :blush:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Well, the news give reason for optimism, so I suppose it's back to my regularly scheduled gushing over Witch's Servant. Two new chapters, both extremely warm and fuzzy.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

LOVE ME FOR WHO I AM, but it isn't really what I would call psychological drama.

Depends on the chapter. While there's a lot of fun maid café antics, there's also a lot of mental struggle and attempts to deal with past trauma.
I can very much recommend that manga, by the way.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

I Am Fowl posted:

Witch's Servant is updating again, by the way!

Thanks for pointing that out :3:

The prequel manga has been getting updates as well. Still a very different sort of story, but it's also quite good.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

Though more on Mogu specifically it's been so long I forget; What happened to their friend? I thought she was getting along with Mei or something last we saw.

I'm pretty sure she just hasn't been showing up because the last few chapters were so focused on Sakura.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah, that was definitely the heaviest chapter yet, though it's been built up for quite a while. I'm just a bit unhappy with the overdramatic cliffhanger at the end, given the very serious subject matter; it's also a bit of a hollow cliffhanger in general, this manga won't just kill of the main character 21 chapters in.

There's also a new Witch's Servant chapter. Impossibly precious :3: And the prequel manga got finished.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 9, 2020

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

I love how someone not wanting to change their gender has officially become something noteworthy :allears:
I used to be skeptical whether the love triangle with Rei, Arsenio and Sauro was a good idea, but it's being handled so well and has led to so many great moments that I don't even want it resolved anymore :v:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

I Am Fowl posted:

I love the latest Witch's Servant. Just pure gender euphoria for Rei, it's delightful.

Everything about it just keeps getting better somehow. Well, the supposed main plot is kind of on the backburner, but I think that works in the manga's favour.
According to the (surprisingly not-horrible) comments on Mangadex, the japanese version is at least up to chapter 77, so there's quite a bit yet to come :3:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

I Am Fowl posted:

Local dog's brain breaks when confronted with our Heroes' Gender Problems in the latest Witch's Servant.

This might've been the funniest chapter of the whole manga yet. I'm really glad that the queer-as-hell relationship stuff has for all intents and purposes become the main plot while the demons-and-monsters part is mostly background worldbuilding (and the worldbuilding is really interesting, too: Everything is set up very fantasy-like, with kingdoms and dragon-hunting tribes and apparently no real police forces or centralized authority; but the buildings and clothes look distinctly modern, and the prequel manga revealed that cars exist).

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Glad they clarified that the principal is not a ghost.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

I Am Fowl posted:

The latest Witch's Servant is just...Well look.

If you ever want to pitch Witch's Servant in one sentence, it's got to be "The hot guy protagonist is the one who ends up getting his boobs fondled and it's actually really sweet."
Also, by this point I just really love how dedicated the translation is to making Betty aggressively Irish.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Cephas posted:

i wish i had a hot tall bf who has an adopted witch daughter and is very chill about turning into a tiny lady and getting his boobs touched

I'm torn between :same: and wanting to be the bf who can turn into a tiny lady.
Edit: ...In a way that's actually a pretty accurate description of my gender-identity situation.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 21, 2020

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

:weneedaneggemote:

:sax: could work, with a bit of repurposing.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I only use it because I see others use it, and its the best term to get the idea I'm going for across.
Same for me, but yeah, I can see why it's probably a bit presumptuous.

I Am Fowl posted:

I think someone in this thread mentioned they accomplish this by phoning a cousin in Ireland and feeding the script through them to Irish-ify it.
That is kind of awesome.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

I Am Fowl posted:

Holy poo poo you guys, chapter 72 of Witch's Servant is romantic as all heck. I'm a little choked up at how sweet it is. I JUST WANT THESE KIDS TO BE HAPPY!

And the part at the end somehow manages to be even cuter :kimchi:
Also, Betty is getting quite good at herding that cuddly pile of cats that her home has turned into.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Rody One Half posted:

betty is such a good girl
And it seems like the next arc will focus on her, which is just wonderful :3: Not to mention that the prospect of the demon lord's castle turning into a haven for the persecuted where everyone's allowed to be themselves is such a great direction for this story.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

T-man posted:

:siren: witch's servant updated again :siren: :sueme:
:cthulhu:
I like how even seemingly random events get tied into the main themes.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

lih posted:

i feel like it's sort of a cop out for the dad to come around relatively easily just from the mum saying "look i read some books. lgbt is a real thing!" but i guess they want a happy ending and everything
It did feel somewhat overly convenient, but I think it makes some sense in the context of the setup: The dad only actually starts to listen when the mum weighs in and reveals that she has actually done some research on the topic, because from that point onwards he can't rationalize his behaviour with an "experienced adults telling clueless children how the real world works" framing anymore.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 6, 2021

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

I can't even express how much I love what Witch's Servant has become :3: It's not "just" a super queer fantasy slice-of-life anymore, it's now explicitly about overcoming oppressive societal structures by forming communities built around mutual acceptance and spaces by and for marginalized people. I mean, that's not even subtext by this point, the characters are just outright saying it.
And, to repeat myself, I will forever be amazed that this manga managed to turn King Bull into a compelling character while leaving his base personality intact. Though now I'm almost as amazed that it somehow used an out-of-nowhere allusion to Ireland's colonial past as a thematically important story beat.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Lunar Suite posted:

Excuse me, I binged the entirety of Witch's Servant (and my boyfriends told me I made the cutest gay noises) - but now there's none left??? Mods?????
:3: I'd say cute gay noises are the typical reaction to Witch's Servant.
Have you already read the prequel? It's a lot less overtly queer, but I think it's still a nice story with some very interesting worldbuilding and great comedic timing.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Then there're the ones written by people who know they're transgender

Like, not as many but they exist.
I'm aware that speculation like this is not unproblematic, but I'm like 90% sure the Witch's Servant author had a very profound realization about themselves over the course of writing that manga.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

The demon stuff starts to take a back seat and then when it eventually comes back into focus it it actually manages to make King Bull into a good character.
Yup, it starts to change around chapter 10 or so, gradually gets good over the course of the following few chapters, and then just keeps improving from there. It's honestly a bit inexplicable (though the plot remains surprisingly consistent throughout the shift), but the results are wonderful; the whole development of the story just feels like something really special to me.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Congratulations :) Both w.r.t. having the courage to come out, and w.r.t. having accepting loved ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

It probably would have sucked anyway. Everything sucks in the end.
It's about vampires, so sucking would've definitely been involved.

I'm not sorry.