Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Hi I am bi and like anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Endorph posted:

it can be fun tho, i got to meet an older bi lady with a very complicated take on sailor moon.

What was her take?

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
I burned through magical trans after seeing all the talk about it. There are some problematic bits, but overall I'm enjoying it a lot. also Opon is adorable no matter what anyone else says :colbert:

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

everythingWasBees posted:

I use queer a lot to refer to myself but like "smear the queer" is still a game that is played to this day. I know a lot of people in their twenties who were called that before being beaten up. nowadays people just use human being, but like acting like it hasn't been used as a slur relatively recently is just false.

Yeah, I was born in the 90s and queer was definitely thrown around as a slur when I was younger. I haven't seen it used that way recently, which is great! But people still being uncomfortable with the term today isn't part of some grand TERF conspiracy.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

skaianDestiny posted:

If you don't want to use queer, then I entirely respect it, the same way some people wouldn't want to use the label "gay" or whatever because of their own circumstances.

I'm specifically referring to "queer is a slur and nobody should use it, because I said so" rhetoric, which has been bandied about by proven TERF accounts, similar to the hate against asexual people. Like all reclaimed slurs, usage of the term is not universal, and I'm not demanding it should be, but a lot of my friends needed the term queer in relation to their own identities. Thus I'm not a fan of anyone who wants to blanket-ban the term queer, especially when they turn out to be transphobic.

Again, I'm not trying to insinuate that or force anyone to use it, and I'm sorry if it came across as that. I just wanted to point out that queer has been reclaimed for a long while by LGBT+ people, and that a lot of the pushback I've personally seen was done by TERFs.

That's totally fair, and I wasn't aware of the TERF bullshit surrounding the term. I don't think anyone here wants to blanket ban the term (especially with people identifying with the term right down the page!)

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Nondevor posted:

p.s. anime is cool

anime is cool, and so are you for posting all that despite how difficult it was

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

tweet my meat posted:

Hi, I'm bi and I love watching anime and smoking weed. Prunus was a pretty great read but honestly I don't read a ton of lgbtq stuff, I really should branch out. Is there much out there featuring decent gay characters that isn't necessarily focused on romance? I kinda prefer action or horror stories.

Shinsekai Yori is a fairly horrific ride.

MHA has surprisingly good (if minor) trans representation, but I don't think any characters in that are confirmed gay.

Danganronpa 3.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

dogsicle posted:

even as someone who is very positive on SSY, i dunno how much i'd hold it up for the lgbt aspects, since it's pretty quickly washed away by conphet even if you do have a more generous read on the later parts of the series

all that to say ymmv but I'd temper expectations when it comes to how the show engages with lgbt rep. it's otherwise an excellently made dystopian thriller

I can't disagree too much, but I do feel Satoru's love of Shun in particular is very real and a major part of his character moving forward, even though he ultimately ends up with Saki. That character's relationships read to me as strong bi representation, which I really appreciate.

also heads up if anyone does try it out, I think the manga leans way more into ecchi poo poo than the anime. I haven't read it so I can't really speak for or against it, though.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Aurora posted:

good projekt red av

projekt red is the best

arknights is anime adjacent, but i do wanna mention that it has confirmed gay characters who rule, like Scavenger, and that makes me very happy. and while i'm talking anime-esque games, FGO has nonbinary and trans characters. You can potentially read the relationship between gilgamesh and enkidu as asexual, though it's never made clear if it's romantic in Fate-verse. unfortunately I don't think there are any LGB characters in Fate though, unless you play the female protag.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Endorph posted:

Fate stuff

I wasn't aware of 95% of that, and I'm really excited to find out that there's so much more representation than I thought! I definitely knew and forgot about Musashi, and I think it just never registered with me that Artoria is bi when reading FSN. To be fair a good chunk of that seems like you'd need to read/play the supporting materials to ever know about.

Rody One Half posted:

There's also several trans characters,most notably Da Vinci.

I dunno that I'm going to give them points for it, cause they're kinda poo poo about it, but the characters exist.

Endorph's right that there are a lot of ups and downs with the character, which I think can be attributed to different writers (and let's just pretend Agartha never happened), but at the end of the day I think they do a good job with Da Vinci. She's a main character in a massive franchise to boot, which is really refreshing to see.

Dont forget about Chev, historical trans figure and in-game nb representation.

I think Enkidu is also explicitly non-binary.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Rody One Half posted:

Da Vinci is definitely an aspect that varies from writer to writer, much like FGO in general, but that just means you get really annoying backslides. Like for example by the time Camelot rolls around the main story has shifted to totally treating her correctly, but then you get to Shinjuku and Higashide is having SHERLOCK HOLMES of all characters forgetting her pronouns.

E: to clarify the D'eon thing, I think it's weird and indeed bad to take a figure who is so unambiguously a transwoman we used to call being trans Deonism or something, and then changing that figure so you can treat them interchangeably with Astolfo.

And I say that despite liking Astolfo.

Yeah, D'eon's treatment is baffling. Despite Da Vinci's clumsy handling in places they clearly aren't afraid to have trans characters in the spotlight, so I'm not sure what the deal is there.

Endorph posted:

In Artoria's case its more implied than stated, but she's clearly attracted to Rin. The UBW ending where Artoria sticks around pretty much says as much.

Some of it though, yeah. Still it's pretty clearly a franchise thats not really hung up on straightness, which is cool. As silly as it might seem (and not quite related since its from the Tsukihime branch of the franchse) the random line Akiha has in Kagetsu Tohya where she just casually drops that she's attracted to a classmate was pretty revelatory for a younger Endorph, lol.

That doesn't seem silly :shobon: It just goes to show just how much representation matters.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Oh. I really liked the marie/d'eon bits...

It's more that it's weird to have taken a trans icon and made them nonbinary than that D'eons handling in-game is bad.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
realta nua dragon fever dreams or bust :colbert:

Rody One Half posted:

Arturia's input in that scene technically is minimal

Rin's all in though

E: ^ I mean I skipped agartha put my understanding Is it in fact gets quite bad

agartha is disgusting trash and I'm pretending it didn't happen

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

yeah, which franchise is this? I'm completely lost, and I thought I was a rather large anime fan...

Fate. If you look up Fate Saber you might recognize that character even it you didn't know where she's from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Mikl posted:

Everyone stop what you're doing and read this

https://mangadex.org/title/31395/i-turned-my-childhood-friend-into-a-girl

It's super gay (and also trans, probably).

Also hi thread, I had no idea this thread existed, I stumbled upon it by chance. Hello!

this was incredibly cute, thank you!