Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

ty bees

BL is working within broad romance-genre tropes in general, there is nothing in BL that you won't also find in het romance. That's not to say they're all great, just that it is in no way a bl-exclusive thing.

Also the notion that BL is written by (straight) women for (straight) women is super outdated and inaccurate. Fun fact, one of the most notoriously trope-ridden BL manga of all time was written by a man.

Regarding who is reading & writing BL, I'll quote rottenboysclub, which is a blog I've linked below

quote:

4.) According to various surveys, about 50% of fujoshi and female BL mangaka identify as something other than cis or het. Famous well-known fujoshi such as Kabi Nagata and Akiko Mizoguchi are lesbians. In addition, according to gay mangaka Gengoroh Tagame, a lot of fujoshi and BL mangaka may appear as cis het women on paper, but in actuality are closeted lesbians, bisexuals, trans men, x-gender, and even some who were writing under a pen-name and later turned out to be cis gay MEN. [source]

5.) Speaking of men, for one survey in the US of BL readership, a quarter of respondents were male, and for another, depending on the volume in question, male readership was anywhere from 15-20%, all the way up to 50%. More conservative estimates put male readership around 10%. Also, here’s a small list of male BL artists and geicomi artists who work on BL anthologies / BL Magazines. Keep in mind that these are just a few that are public about their gender, and a lot of other male BL authors are closeted and will not disclose that information.

Anyway here's some reading material about BL:
Brief history of what "fujoshi" means and other info; btw this guy's blog has a ton of info on it
https://twitter.com/dionysiaca/status/1118496051135225856?s=20 (there's a bunch of other stuff in this twitter thread)
Really cool interview with Gengoroh Tagame
https://twitter.com/_queerioes/status/1165822595700338694?s=20
Another blog with a bunch of info on a variety of topics including BL & fandom discourse

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 29, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

tapas recently added a LGBTQ+ genre tag
they publish western webtoons and webnovels + some translated Korean ones

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

not manga but this covers a couple of things requested -- I've been reading this novel series:
https://www.goodreads.com/series/230782-criminal-intentions-season-one

It's more or less Criminal Minds fanfiction with the label rubbed off but has been a fun series that moves quickly and has plenty of action (re: the action request earlier). One of the MCs is bi, the other is demi/gray-ace and it explores that in how their relationship builds. There is also a supporting character who is nonbinary and another who is aromantic as well and each of them get some focus and development over the series so they aren't just brief background appearances.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 29, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

yeah that's totally fair; tbh I'm taking a break from it right now because it's one I can read in bursts and really enjoy and then sometimes I am just not in the mood for it at all. I have pretty low standards for books on kindle unlimited so I can forgive a lot though