Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Queer manga is still basically the only form of media where i've seen asexuality explored (even if from minor characters for works focused on other things) so that's neat. Not that I go looking for it but it's cool to be reminded I exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Us asexuals are an ephemeral and mysterious people after all. It is impossible for our experiences to be translated into narrative, our stories just cannot be understood.

Anyway, I know I personally can relate to stories of someone navigating their sexuality while trying to deal with how they struggle to fit into perceived societal expectations of what is normal especially in regards to romantic relationships. For an “asexual narrative” you could probably just go off something like that with an end point of “hey, the idea that a romantic relationship is a necessary ingredient of human happiness is bullshit actually”.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

The real problem with Citrus is that it didn't give more screen time to Matsuri and Harumi, the two best characters.

I didn't particularly like or dislike yuzu or mei.

That doesn't strike me as a specifically asexual thing, but nevertheless could be interesting.

Personally I don't identify as anything-sexual because I do like cute anime girls and all but I've never felt attraction to anyone. :shrug:

Maybe the story could end with the protagonist saying “and this is why Asexuality is cool and valid.” followed by thunderous applause to really hammer home this is about asexuality.

Maybe I should’ve specified the character in this hypothetical story would be asexual, but since we were talking about an asexual narrative I thought that was assumed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

I, uh, picked up on that, yeah.

I was pointing out that it could still be relevant to a broader group, which could be a good or bad thing.

I know, I just thought pointing that out was rather silly.

I mean I also mentioned in that exact post how I can relate to stories about people dealing with their sexuality even though I’m ace. I think it’s pretty normal for stories to be relevant to varied experiences it’d be strange for a story not to be.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Perpetual Motion posted:

I'm sorry if I came across as saying stories that don't 100% match your experiences aren't relatable or enjoyable. I don't think that at all! I just feel like it'd just be nice to have something that did, is all. :shrug:

Just a selfish pipedream, really.

Nah it’s cool. I just meant that even if there is a story that 100% matches your experiences other people can still relate to it. And im saying this as an asexual person who likes queer manga (even romances) because I often find them pretty relatable relatable even though they obviously don’t match my experiences at all.

I also agree that it can be pretty frustrating how media about asexuality is really rare (understandably so to an extent), though I do super appreciate when queer manga have asexual minor characters because sometimes it’s nice to be reminded people realise I exist.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Not to say that you're in the wrong for this case or that Victor and Yuri's relationship couldn't have been better done but like I do feel in general that there's this perception that gay relationships in media need to be 20 times more explicit to count. A guy and girl can blush at each other over a compliment and lots of people will generally assume that "oh yeah, this is a portrayal of romance or such" but that doesn't fly if it's two guys.

It's not really anyone's specific fault, but it's kinda lame lgbt romance needs to jump through extra hoops to be real in some peoples eyes. I used to be the same but at some point I realised if something seems pretty gay chances are its intended to be gay.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Volume 6 of A Kiss and a White Lily is pretty much exactly a love triangle that turns into a polycule. It's only 5 or so chapters long so not as fleshed out as it could be but it's good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm pretty sure i've seen a similar set up in a bunch of things. Settings where weird rpg conventions exist and are played totally straight aren't super unique I feel.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

The Feelings We All Must Endure has a really good character whose too tired to gently caress but it's also The Feelings We All Must Endure

She’s very cool though. The closest thing to asexual representation I’ve seen in manga that still has the messy drama I like reading about. She’s not aromantic though if that’s what you’re looking for.

There’s a couple more manga I’ve read with asexual characters that briefly explore their sexuality but it’s never like the main focus.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I dunno I think it could work.

But yeah I’m not too surprised I haven’t seen any manga about asexuality.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's not really what happened.

E: I guess i'll spoil it for people who haven't read Witch's Servant but Rei became a girl through a magic spell gone wrong and his arc through the comic is pretty much him figuring out his sexuality and gender identity, partially because of said magic spell but mostly through interacting with family and friends dealing with similar things and just becoming more mature and understanding himself better.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 9, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Having only experienced Cross Ange through SRW V, I think I can safely say it's pretty good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There was a comic I read years ago where in the afterword the author talked about how they'd written several stories about lesbian couples before but this was there first time doing a yuri story and it stood out to me because previously I probably would've thought all manga like that would be considered yuri but thats not really the case.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This might just expose my ignorance but I feel like I see a lot less complaints about Fujoshis than from a couple of years ago. Nowadays most of the hate i see is from shonen fans who get really upset when the cool rival with tonnes of screentime tops popularity polls.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Endorph was talking about Atra and Kudelia.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's a bit of a convenient ending but that's often been the case with some of the comic's drama and it's not necessarily a bad thing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think I may need to re-read the series. I remember liking it a lot but I barely remember who Koyuki is so I think i've forgotten a lot of the context for the past couple chapters.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's not really the vibe i'm getting from it so I don't expect that's where it'll go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She does good one shots tbh.