Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth
I was really iffy on love me for what I am at first, just cuz the premise sounded kinda chasery, but like, that impression was totally wrong and like, the characters are all treated respectfully and are likable and it feels like the author's giving the topics they discuss the appropriate weight. I still feel kinda weird about mogumo's design, like it feels a bit loliconish, but other than that it's super good. I'm really excited something like it is able to get like, published and officially translated and everything

moyashimon is another really good queer manga people should check out too, one of the main characters is trans and she's handled pretty well, and most of the rest of the main cast are bi or lesbians. also the main subject matter of food science is super interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

Rody One Half posted:

I feel very be iffy about how Moyashimon handles Kei to be honest. It can never seem to decide how to treat her. Positive/negative, trans girl or cis crossdresser, and ultimately chickens out on her and Tadayasu.

I suppose it's still better than most though, and certainly Hasegawa doesn't give a gently caress.

sawaki/kei not resolving is intensely frustrating for sure. kei definitely deserves better than sawaki though tbh. like, most of the main complaints I have with the series come from him being agonizingly slow to adjust compared to everyone else around him and it's pretty dumb

aside from that stuff and the brief initial conflict around her coming out, I remember it being generally pretty positive about her though. like once hasegawa kisses oikawa and tells her to get her head out of her rear end the cast is supportive of her decision and treats her like a girl, and the work more broadly seemed to take her seriously as a character. like she's pretty sure of herself and it's reinforced that her choice to take time off school to explore her gender stuff was the right one, and she continues to be a major character with her own subplots and interests through the rest of the manga

also, in my experience it's not super weird or uncommon for people to exist in limbo between being a "crossdresser" and a "trans person" irl. people progress from one identity to another all the time as they figure out what kind of person they want to be. she kinda reads as like, "trans girl who hasn't pieced together a coherent identity yet," though I imagine out-of-universe the author probably just didn't have a clear understanding of what he was working with like with most of these things. imo there's enough to like about the rest of how she's handled that it doesn't bother me tooooooo much, though

also hasegawa owns :stwoon: