Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«47 »
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OG Milsurp Megathread here

Yep, after gently caress near a decade I'm finally making a new milsurp megathread. I had wanted to go through the old one and pull out good info for a long time, but I realized that the only way to really dig in was to just rip the bandaid off and do it. For those of you crawling through the old one to find nuggets of wisdom, keep it up and I'll add that stuff into an expanded OP down the road.

So . . . milsurp. What the gently caress is it?

Milsurp is, at its core, old military guns. The poo poo that armies used way back when and which has now entered civilian hands. That's a huge catch all and it has loving EVERYTHING you can imagine inside it, from the rarest and expensive showpieces to garbage that's literally been rusting in a Nepalese warehouse since the days of Queen Victoria.

People end up interested in milsurp generally for one of two reasons. They're either attracted to functional, cheap guns or they're really into the history that the guns represent. The former used to be a lot more common a decade ago, when you could walk down to your local sporting good store and buy a Mosin for about what a new computer game costs today. A lot of people here cut their teeth on mosins back in the day, and at one point the fancy TFR posters were the ones who saved an extra couple of pennies to get a Yugoslavian Mauser. These days the super cheap surplus is mostly gone, although it's still attainable if not cheaper than a bar tab.

With cheap AR15s being almost the same price as a Mosin these days the real reason to get into surplus is if you love the history that the guns represent. They are very tangible links to the past, working peices of history that have been used in some of the most important events of the last 100 years. For someone like me it's hard not to think about where a 100 year old German rifle has been when taking it apart, or think about what an early manufacture dated M1 carbine might have seen. For some it can be a bit spooky - I've got a Mosin sniper rifle made in 1942 and they weren't exactly sticking them in warehouses at that point. Some people feel strongly one way or another about some types of milsurp. There are people who don't collect WW2 German stuff because they don't like owning things with swastikas, for example.

Milsurp is also a great way to get into the various different ways that guns can work. The diversity in designs and ways to accomplish the same basic task is dizzying. If you are at all mechanically inclined or like to puzzle out how things work comparing two different takes on the humble bolt action rifle can be a hell of a drug.

For others its a personal connection, a family tie that makes either a particular gun or a particular type extra special. We've got posters who have heirloom rifles brought back from a war by their grandfathers and sporterized into a deer rifle by their fathers. To a collector that's a horror story, but to someone who gets to put venison on the menu with a gun that's passed through three generations of his family it is precious indeed. Others just want a representative gun of the type that a family member of theirs might have used in the war. My own grandfather was in the artillery in the pacific and every time my dad takes a walk through my collection he always asks me to point out the M1 Carbine, the kind of gun that his dad would have had in his gun pit (and used, incidentally - he had to fend off some nasty poo poo at one point).

Whatever it means to you, milsurp is a special kind of gun sickness. They aren't practical weapons. They tend to be obsolete designs, they tend to be heavier than modern ones, and by definition they are used. But somehow that just adds to the charm.

Since I'm rebooting this thread I"m not going to go in and do a bunch of effort writing on the basics of milsurp. I want us to do that together. If you want to contribute something, pick a topic and dive in. Maybe something about corrosive ammunition? Cosmolene? How to care for old leather? What kind of commercial bullets work in a M1 Garand without damaging it? The many ways that the Enfield is an over-hyped and firmly mediocre firearm? Go hog wild. As we start to collect those I'll edit links into the OP here so we can stay more organized this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Just gettin in on the ground floor

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Milsurp: my quest for crests.

Plus some stuff that isn't Mauser.

Well, actually... okay...

Some stuff that isn't Mauser.

Invest in milsurp: they aren't making any more of it.

Sorta...

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 7, 2020

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

M17 Surplus worth tracking down?

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Youtube just demonetized C&Rsenal for "Harmful Content". They had their best ever advertising month just last December 2019. Youtube basically steals everything in an the account when they demonitize it.. When you get demonitized they "hold on" to your money in case you get remonitized. Rarely anyone ever gets remonitized. So I would say stealing is the acceptable word here.

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 7, 2020

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

a new milsurp thread. TFR, and the milsurp thread in particular, was the main reasons I finally gave my to join SA. I should cobble together a set of pictures of my milsurp to help inaugurate the new thread.

Prof. Banks fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 8, 2020

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially

Taco Defender

Neophyte posted:

Eleven years? Please, that's not even long enough for the grease to harden! Reboot it only when it can be listed on the C&R

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially

Taco Defender

Well, okay content I guess - I got a C&R license for like 30 bux and yet only got a few Mosins for it, but it was still worth it just to save on transfer fees.

Uh...helpful advice? I guess get a cheap heat gun to help degunk the commie cosmo would be a good investment for any collector of old Soviet stuff. You can also put it into a low oven on heat (put foil underneath to keep the grease off the heating elements!), but only if you want to stink up the place and don't plan on using the oven until it's been thoroughly cleaned.

Surp Mosins in particular are notorious for sticky chambers when shooting old lacquered ammo, feel free to warm up the chamber, chuck a brass brush soaked in solvent into a cordless drill, and go to town. Repeat as necessary (or use better ammo).

links I have offhand:

https://www.atf.gov/file/128116/download
ATF C&R list

http://7.62x54r.net/
misc. info on guess what
Not sure what's kind of ammo is in that spam can of cold war goodness? ID it here! Lots of other Mosin info too.

https://murraysguns.com/popped-primer-problems/
why some SKSesses have pierced primers (they also sell fixes for it)

RIP all my surplusrifle.com links, god it's been a while

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 7, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Steeltalon posted:

Youtube just demonetized C&Rsenal for "Harmful Content". They had their best ever advertising month just last December 2019. Youtube basically steals everything in an the account when they demonitize it.. When you get demonitized they "hold on" to your money in case you get remonitized. Rarely anyone ever gets remonitized. So I would say stealing is the acceptable word here.

I know the chick referring to guns as her and she always creeped me the hell out maybe thats what did it

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I am shamelessly reposting the SMLE No 1 Mk III* that I finished restoring this weekend.

And here are some pictures of some other Enfield-made arms that I own and shoot:

An 1887 Martini Henry Mk IV

And an 1864 Snider Enfield Mk II**

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Stravag posted:

I know the chick referring to guns as her and she always creeped me the hell out maybe thats what did it

It's not that uncommon. It's a kinda weird, old timey thing to give a gun a girl's name. It's also maybe a southern thing. Davy Crockett reportedly named his musket "Old Betsy" I don't know if that's a legend or true. Boats and ships are often also referred as she/her as well. Some weirdos even name their cars.

It could also be popular these days from pop culture such as the movie Full Metal Jacket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwMIAwrIeuY

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 7, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I semi understand the ship thing because in the old days it was the only thing keeping you alive in the most inhospitable environment known to man, but naming a car/gun just feels the same to me as if i named my laptop and when i turned it on went "yeah thats a good girl" it's creepy

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Stravag posted:

I semi understand the ship thing because in the old days it was the only thing keeping you alive in the most inhospitable environment known to man, but naming a car/gun just feels the same to me as if i named my laptop and when i turned it on went "yeah thats a good girl" it's creepy

I agree about not naming guns, but I dunno about cars. I had an old silver 2001 Cavalier that was affectionately referred to as the Lead Sled. My current car, a silver G6 is the Lead Sled Mk II*.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Stravag posted:

I knew a guy in undergrad who did that. Talked about his gaming PC like it was a woman. In the creepiest way possible.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I knew a guy in undergrad who did that. Talked about his gaming PC like it was a woman. In the creepiest way possible.

That was a pretty turbo geek thing to do in the late 90s. Was it the late 90s/early 2000s?

I'll try not to get in a derail on the first page.

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 7, 2020

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

Holy poo poo piss, a new milsurp thread. Here's a few ironically bad pics to celebrate:

wakka wakka motherfuckers

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Steeltalon posted:

That was a pretty turbo geek thing to do in the late 90s. Was it the late 90s/early 2000s?

I'll try not to get in a derail on the first page.

Yup

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Is this too creepy? The internet hasn't changed. It's just evolved.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

It's a lot less creepy than the last Forgotten Weapons anime pic I saw, I'll concede that much.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Some Milsurp pics from my Imgur.

British and Nazi Hipower

Pee Turdy Eight

Not Milsurp 1940s production 1917

S/37 P.08

Springfield 1903 and Remington 1917

1944 Fazakerley No 4 Mk 1, 19xx No 1 Mk V

Remington Model 11 Aerial Gunnery Trainer

Winchester/VAR M1 Garand

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

The most problematic of mil/posurp mess: An IBM wartime receiver put in a folding stock by the Israeli civil guard and then outfitted with a Korean sling from Vietnam. Mag is KCI so it actually cycles

Also this rickety old thing still shoots mighty fine:

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Here's what may be the finest surviving M91 I've ever seen.

I dont know the exact timeline but this thing has an impressive history. Built in 1910, survives WWI, may have seen action in the Finnish civil war, one way or another ends up in service with the Finnish Civil Guard, survives the Winter War, survives WWII, and then somehow ends up in the US without an import mark.

Action-Bastard fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 7, 2020

LingcodKilla
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Some of us like to run around like idiots wearing our stuff too. These days I just prefer static events. No more field “exercises”.

The cartridge belt is inter years, the helmet WW2 and the rifle is a Korean rearsenal but dated 42. The rest is modern copies.

Being able to experience history like this with the kit is interesting because you find out how drat uncomfortable all the old stuff is.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

An M1 Carbine receiver that somehow cut itself in half.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I hope the user remained in one piece. Is that yours?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Clapping Larry

Fearless posted:

I hope the user remained in one piece. Is that yours?

That is mine, yeah. Thing broke after putting 5 rounds through it on an average day, could hardly tell anything was wrong until the magazine didn't seat properly, then I realised I could seemingly tilt the barrel up-down, noticed the crack, took it to the safety bench and noticed it was split clean in half.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Fearless posted:

I am shamelessly reposting the SMLE No 1 Mk III* that I finished restoring this weekend.

Oh wow, that turned out fantastic! Great job!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I have a question regarding milsurp.

I have a rc K98 that I restored the stock on. While restoring it back in '03, I kept the original nazi markings on the stock in tact. They are faint, but there.

Obviously this was done before nazis became a real thing again, but am I coming off as some racist douche by keeping them on?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

AFewBricksShy posted:

I have a rc K98 that I restored the stock on. While restoring it back in '03, I kept the original nazi markings on the stock in tact. They are faint, but there.

Obviously this was done before nazis became a real thing again, but am I coming off as some racist douche by keeping them on?

Does owning a Soviet captured firearm make you a Stalinist?

I own a number of firearms that were in use by the British Empire and have no problems condemning colonialism for the destructive, hateful mess that it is. One's thoughts and beliefs are the things that would make one a racist poo poo, not the historical provenance of a rifle.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 7, 2020

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Fearless posted:

Does owning a Soviet captured firearm make you a Stalinist?

I own a number of firearms that were in use by the British Empire and have no problems condemning colonialism for the destructive, hateful mess that it is. One's thoughts and beliefs are the things that would make one a racist poo poo, not the historical provenance of a rifle.
This.

Though sussing out who likes nazi guns/memorabilia a bit too much is a fun gun show game.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

Yeah, some people will think you're a nazi. Because nuance doesn't matter much anymore in this climate. If that bothers you then you should get rid of it. More reasonable people wont care because they understand proof and acceptance marks aren't racist in themselves but a process of how military arms are produced.

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 7, 2020

LingcodKilla
Dec 28, 2002

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Who made your receiver and what import marks if any are on? That doesn’t looks like a torch cut break. Not the right place in any case.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Ross crew reporting for duty!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Clapping Larry

LingcodKilla posted:

Who made your receiver and what import marks if any are on? That doesn’t looks like a torch cut break. Not the right place in any case.

One of the Spanish-made "Super Strong and Totally Great Reputation" cast receiver carbines

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

Context is everything. If you’re hanging it on your living room wall with a mounted magnifying glass to examine the swastika and have a leather bound edition of mein kampf as a coffee table book people are going to assume the worst, yeah. If you’re a normal person who happens to own an old gun? Nah.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

All hail the new milsurp thread

LingcodKilla
Dec 28, 2002

Jobbo_Fett posted:

One of the Spanish-made "Super Strong and Totally Great Reputation" cast receiver carbines

Oh jeez man. Well live and learn. Is anything on it USGI?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Clapping Larry

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh jeez man. Well live and learn. Is anything on it USGI?

Pretty sure nothing on it is USGI, not a great loss. Just sucks because getting M1 Carbine receivers in Canada is stupidly expensive, and most of the "good" M1 Carbines are restricted, which is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

New milsurp thread!!! I can't think of any effort posts worth making but if anyone knows anything about me, they know I like posting pics of my own guns at any opportunity. Here's my pitifully small milsurp collection at present!

Not actually one of the ONG 870s, just has the bayonet lug off one. But Vietnam inspired!

1918 Colt frame, WWII Remington Rand slide. An M1911/A1! Sucks to shoot but it looks cool at least!

~1918 C96 Mauser. Still has traces of nitre blue and works well whenever I get a chance to shoot it.

1890 produced S&W No. 3, marked with Japanese Navy anchor and lettered out as being sold straight from the factory to Japan. Currently missing a front sight (work in progress)

What is milsurp? This is a century receiver inch-pattern FAL with an Australian parts kit, an Israeli scope and new made american wood forend. Does it count??

'43 Springfield Armory Garand

If parts kits count I'm including this too! A Galil ARM made from some unknown South American parts on an Ohio Ordnance receiver. This gun has never successfully fired an entire magazine without issues and has been to two different gunsmiths for like 1.5 years of shop time.

Polish AKMS with a polish receiver and other small parts. This gun actually works despite also being hand assembled by a moron (me) ((finished by Two Rivers Arms))

Remington 513T Matchmaster with US Property stamp. Made in 1966 so likely used as a stateside trainer for Vietnam? Or maybe as an army competition rifle?

Berlin Luebecker Gewehr 43. Took a lot of hours and parts to get this old Russian Capture G43 back into firing shape but I done did it by gosh

Quality Hardware M1 Carbine, also from 1943. Works well, looks good, is great.

I also have 2-3 US Mil inspired AR15 clone guns but I'm not posting them here because that seems somehow gauche. But it does beg the question like what is milsurp really??

«47 »