Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Interestingly the Soviets are the ones who break the clearest with that directive. I donít know exactly when they started arming the VoPo (may have been after the formation of the DDR) but they got a lot of ex-Wehrmacht pistols and rifles.

They started arming the VoPo a week before the directive was issued. Honestly, I think it would be fair to say that for sidearms, arming the new auxiliary forces with captured weapons makes sense, although I'd need to look to see if I have records of pistol production by the soviets leading up to October of 1945 my gut says that their own needs weren't exactly being fully met quite yet. I know I have production numbers for rifles and some submachine guns, pistols are the wildcard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

kupachek posted:

They started arming the VoPo a week before the directive was issued. Honestly, I think it would be fair to say that for sidearms, arming the new auxiliary forces with captured weapons makes sense, although I'd need to look to see if I have records of pistol production by the soviets leading up to October of 1945 my gut says that their own needs weren't exactly being fully met quite yet. I know I have production numbers for rifles and some submachine guns, pistols are the wildcard.

I can't imagine it was shortages on the rifle front that had them issuing K98ks and G43s to the VoPo. In fact, I"m pretty sure they also issued m44s to them, although I'm hazier on that.

I know that the border guards had Mosins in the mix.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I can't imagine it was shortages on the rifle front that had them issuing K98ks and G43s to the VoPo. In fact, I"m pretty sure they also issued m44s to them, although I'm hazier on that.

I know that the border guards had Mosins in the mix.

For rifles, I would imagine it was convenience. It's pistols I think might have been more out of necessity.

Per Datig, in the period of 1943 to 1945, they cranked out an estimated 500,000 tokarev tt33's, so not a bad amount, but hardly enough to justify arming the VoPo with. I have no records at all that I know of for Nagant revolvers, so that angle is a mystery to me.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Got my 1864 Snider Enfield Mk II** out for some range time today for the first time since August 2018.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Edit: Um hell yes! ^^^

Hey quit rubbin my smithd!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thermos posted:

Edit: Um hell yes! ^^^

I thought you'd like it!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

This might be the most jacked up auction listing I've ever seen:

INFIELD 1936, 303 BRITTISH MILITARY RIFLE. SN#30117

(hit: it's not an Enfield}

(hint 2: there are actually pictures of two guns, neither of them enfields)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

This is your monthly reminder that if you have guns worth more than like, I dunno, $1000 total and you have a wife or kids or parents or anyone else who you give a poo poo about that might try to sell your crap if you get hit by a bus tomorrow: please write down exactly what you have, and a ballpark of what it's' worth. Stick that info with your other documents for your estate. Don't rely on some auctioneer idiot knowing the difference between, well, anything. You might end up with an auction listing your poo poo as "INFIELD"

We all know that no one liquidating your poo poo is going to get full value like you would selling it off piecemeal on GB, but hoooly poo poo I've seen some bad poo poo with widows and grandkids getting fleeced because clearly that old rifle isn't worth much, the nice man at the pawn shop said it was only $200, max, and he's doing us a favor.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

On the optimistic side $130 bid for maybe-get-a-Mosin isn't terrible these days.

To piggyback on Cyrano's price log suggestion, I think there's lots of us getting into "double check insurance limits/coverage" on collections over the last few years as well. Make sure you've got records and photographs of everything, clearly indicating condition and serial number (where applicable). We use Farm Bureau and they require multiple pictures of each firearm, with emphasis on the serial.

mischief fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 17, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lol there's two more "infields"

here's a 1945 7.62x54r Infield carbine

Here's an Infield 1938 military rifle.

Those are actually all pretty OK looking Mosins. Original finish on the metal and wood (not the usual cold war depot refurb shellac and black finish we're all familiar with), and looking at that last one the splice on the stock looks distinctly finnish. I'm wondering if these might not be WW2 captured Finn rifles that never lost their Soviet barrels. Willing to bet that on that last one at least there would be an "SA" stamp if the pics weren't so bad.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

What is this rifle? https://www.proxibid.com/MILITARY-RIFLE-1917-WITH-MATCHING-NUMBERS-SN-403392/lotInformation/59722403

Also, ngl, tempted to watch this and see how high it goes: https://www.proxibid.com/COLT-AR15-PRE-BAN-MODEL-SP1-223-CAL/lotInformation/59722470

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

First one is a Swedish Mauser if I'm not mistaken? M96?

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is your monthly reminder that if you have guns worth more than like, I dunno, $1000 total and you have a wife or kids or parents or anyone else who you give a poo poo about that might try to sell your crap if you get hit by a bus tomorrow: please write down exactly what you have, and a ballpark of what it's' worth. Stick that info with your other documents for your estate. Don't rely on some auctioneer idiot knowing the difference between, well, anything. You might end up with an auction listing your poo poo as "INFIELD"

We all know that no one liquidating your poo poo is going to get full value like you would selling it off piecemeal on GB, but hoooly poo poo I've seen some bad poo poo with widows and grandkids getting fleeced because clearly that old rifle isn't worth much, the nice man at the pawn shop said it was only $200, max, and he's doing us a favor.

At least here, a good (GOOD, not farm auction/house clearance place in a shed by a motorway) action house will usually be happy to do valuations on objects, both for auction value and insurance/probate values.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

In my document safe there's an envelope with the values of all my guns and instructions for my wife to sell them all and go on a trip if anything happens to me.

Edit: Any mauser-knowing goons want to assess the actual value of this C96?

https://www.icollector.com/Restricted-Mauser-C96-Broom-Handle-in-7-63X25-Mauser_i40280617

Thermos fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 17, 2021

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Was I completely out of my gourd to bid 3k on this? https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/2042/270/kgesteyr-mp34sa-portuguese-contract-semiautomatic-rifle

Currently winning at that price but not going any higher. Looks like parts kits are going for that or more. Doesn't look like many of these get sold.

I assume the long barrel was added after the fact to make it 16"+?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Thermos posted:

Edit: Any mauser-knowing goons want to assess the actual value of this C96?

Reblued, mismatched Wartime Commercial (1915-1918 or so) with a German Army stamp on the barrel. Down here it might be worthwhile as a shooter depending on bore condition, but I don't know what C96 prices are like in Canada.

my kinda ape posted:

I assume the long barrel was added after the fact to make it 16"+?

Yep.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Would any luger knowers care to weigh in on this American eagle? I'm thinking of bidding. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894647653

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Speaking of did our mutual friend pass?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

No idea

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

flightless greeb posted:

Would any luger knowers care to weigh in on this American eagle? I'm thinking of bidding. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894647653

Not a Luger expert but I had been low-key eyeballing this one as a shooter. Roughly the same price but comes with extra mags and spare grips. You can take a shot at it if it looks like something you want.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Hah neat! I love those grips. I decided I'm going to hold out for dished toggles for now I think and pass on both.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

One White Whale down. This one was made in the second to last batch in ROF Fazakerley (serial begins with AB.) Not a huge fan of the weird welded buttplate thing but it's comfy enough.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Yeah what's the story behind that, is that original spec?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

It doesn't look like it. Just at a glance, I think that butt plate is not factory, the stock has been sanded and the front sight protector is absent.

Just to be clear: I am not trying to poo poo on the OP's parade. If they are happy, I am happy for them; I just hope that rifle was not presented as factory original when it was up for sale.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 20, 2021

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

HEY CYRANO BUY THIS GUN!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

I picked up a 1917. It's got a JA barrel, and obviously has a new stock on it. The guy I bought it from said he got it from a guy who had it as a barreled action and re-stocked it. Nothing special, but I'm just looking for a shooter. I just got a .30-06 reloading set up, so I'm excited to try with this.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 22, 2021

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Nice. I need an M1917 one of these days. And a Pattern 1914.

In other news, a month ago I ordered replacement springs for my C96. Got a box last night with one spring and a note saying the rest are backordered for another 4-8 weeks.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Somebody Awful posted:

Nice. I need an M1917 one of these days. And a Pattern 1914.

In other news, a month ago I ordered replacement springs for my C96. Got a box last night with one spring and a note saying the rest are backordered for another 4-8 weeks.

Why do gun companies love pulling that poo poo? I've never had any other kind of company claim to have stuff in stock and then tell me that actually it's backordered for two months (actually six+).

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I very nearly blew my stimulus on a National Postal Meter carbine. I gave up at the $1600 mark

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Some guy has a nice looking 1917 on arfcom that has the OGEK stamp I'm looking for but he wants $1450 for it which is at least $400 more than I want to pay. I want one but not enough to set up a saved search lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

My M1 Garand has been laying in it's case on my living room floor for a few months now and I'm finally going to grease it. As someone in here mentioned before, the op rod spring is WAY too stiff and it's probably just the CMPs spring being too strong so I'm just going to get a new one from GarandGear.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssmDdhaHKaA

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Very wholesome content.
Well. Wholesome for gun content on tyool 2021.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

I was genuinely concerned for that guy's health as he chucked the rock around.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

https://youtu.be/oPE1j4L_1W0

I made a video on the m96 but you'll have to assemble it yourself.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

That makes me want a martini henry

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

P. sure IMA still has some.

PS: We now have an index thread so you can find megathreads fast. Bookmark it or something, IDK.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Martinis are extremely fun:

And a substantial effort post on the history, care and feeding of the Martini Henry infantry rifles from some arsehole with way too much time on his hands:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850226

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

kupachek posted:

As I mentioned previously in this thread, I've been working on digitizing my books again, and recently upgraded to a much much better OCR engine which has been running like a dream, so I figured I might as well put it out there that if anyone wants their reference books digitized and stitched together into a ocr'ed text selectable and searchable pdf (or epub, although that's something I won't be testing for a few more days, I have a test document on the go currently) Just take decent resolution photographs and send them to me, and I can put them together, do the ocr editing, fill in the metadata, and furnish you with the pdf/epub file. Latin alphabet texts go the fastest because that's what my systems are setup to utilize and those tend to be the languages where I have mild proficiency or at least know some words, which makes the editing quicker. (Korean and Cyrillic are currently curve-balls I'm working at improving on)

I've extended the offer to a few folk already, but figured I might as well put it out there to the thread at large. Personally I'm finding it extremely handy to be able to search the pdf for a keyword and then can fetch the physical book and jump straight to the page.

I'm not sure anybody responded to you or took you up on the deal, but would you consider releasing the PDFs you create, assuming the original owner is okay with it? Or maybe no since that could fall into ? (Cyrano?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Double posting since I haven't been to SA in forever. It's been wild watching the gun market via gunbroker and other online gun websites, and seeing the inventory (or lack thereof) in local stores. I've bought a few more firearms since I was around last and likely for too much money. I'll make a box thread for em or a family photo maybe.

Cracks me up about MISTER GREY CARPET, I actually bought a british bulldog from him that seems to have been reasonably priced. I can't tell if he has shills on certain auctions or if people just bid like crazy because the gun market is crazy right now. I'm trying to buy a Greek Schoenauer carbine right now and it's proving difficult. I don't know enough about them to know if the price is absurd or not, though I'm watching one in 7mm Mauser I might take a shot at.

Or maybe I save my money and continue looking for a Lee-Speed sporting rifle. I dunno.

If anybody is checking out mausers still, this seems... affordable? Stock looks fucky but I think the metal is original.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/895546138

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pre-WW1 gun blue is basically milsurp crack. Be careful, poo poo's addictive.

edit: just saying pre-ww1 as a rough date, don't know for certain when people stopped going so nuts on doing poo poo like that

I had to comment on this because it's the goddamn truth. Anytime I see a nitre blued trigger, or some other part, I practically salivate and have to stop myself from "finding" the money to try and buy.