Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

MadBimber posted:

I'm not sure anybody responded to you or took you up on the deal, but would you consider releasing the PDFs you create, assuming the original owner is okay with it? Or maybe no since that could fall into ? (Cyrano?)

I don't really want to poo poo up the thread with a derail but basically I send them the complete file back and what they do with it from there is entirely outside of my control or concern.
If you send me an email (my username here at gmail.com) I can give you a rundown on what all I do for the books, and the intricacies of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

MadBimber posted:

I'm not sure anybody responded to you or took you up on the deal, but would you consider releasing the PDFs you create, assuming the original owner is okay with it? Or maybe no since that could fall into ? (Cyrano?)

Here's the standing policy per Cyrano:

quote:

The general SA-wide rule is that we don't really give a gently caress about filez but we also can't be seen to be hosting them or advertising how to go about getting them. Tl;dr we don't want to be a warez forum. The classic example is that we're not going to probate someone for casually mentioning that they pirated a video game, or talking about an anime they're watching that's not available in the US, or talking about the Magic deck they built with "proxy" (read: fake) cards for the poo poo they can't afford, but if it crosses the line into "here's how to get yourself a free copy of Microsoft Word" or a direct link we'll have to swing the hammer.

MadBimber posted:

If anybody is checking out mausers still, this seems... affordable? Stock looks fucky but I think the metal is original.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/895546138

Speaking as the owner of a refurbished Spanish M1916: don't buy a refurbished Spanish M1916 unless a refurbished Spanish M1916 is specifically something you want.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

kupachek posted:

I don't really want to poo poo up the thread with a derail but basically I send them the complete file back and what they do with it from there is entirely outside of my control or concern.
If you send me an email (my username here at gmail.com) I can give you a rundown on what all I do for the books, and the intricacies of it.

Sounds fair + forum policy, I just got excited about old books for a bit, no worries, I'll let it be.

Somebody Awful posted:

Speaking as the owner of a refurbished Spanish M1916: don't buy a refurbished Spanish M1916 unless a refurbished Spanish M1916 is specifically something you want.

Is that... arsenal refurb? It doesn't look like a standard arsenal finish but it also looks pretty nice? I was assuming fudd but I'm not very familiar with Spanish arms.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

MadBimber posted:

Sounds fair + forum policy, I just got excited about old books for a bit, no worries, I'll let it be.

Is that... arsenal refurb? It doesn't look like a standard arsenal finish but it also looks pretty nice? I was assuming fudd but I'm not very familiar with Spanish arms.

If you're looking for information on the Spanish 1916 in particular, you should look into Robert W.D. Ball's book Mauser Military Rifles of the World, its a fantastic starting point.
In the past, I've seen Howson's Arms for Spain recommended (for spanish use of mausers in general) but I advise you to skip it unless you're interested in learning how badly the Soviets screwed the Spanish. It was recommended to me several years back when I poking around for information on a converted Spanish Airforce Mauser (an M43) for a friend, and it wasn't relevant at all, although I will concede it was a interesting read.

In most cases, the price of a book is paltry compared to the cost of the gun, so when you plan on buying something particular, it's worthwhile to snag a title or two on it to learn from.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

MadBimber posted:

Is that... arsenal refurb?

Pretty sure it is. A lot of stuff was overhauled after the civil war, and again when Spain started converting old Mausers to 7.62 NATO.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Can't stop buying more guns. Just won a Rock Island 1903 on auction with a 1.2 mil serial #. Some of you might recognize why I was willing to pay over 1k for it just off that line. Eventually, a box thread once it arrives.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Can't stop buying more guns.

Hello, 2008 me.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Gewehr 43 posted:

Hello, 2008 me.

The pair of you are incorrigible.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Can't stop buying more guns. Just won a Rock Island 1903 on auction with a 1.2 mil serial #. Some of you might recognize why I was willing to pay over 1k for it just off that line. Eventually, a box thread once it arrives.

Also sprach Zara-pushka.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Speaking of fire bluing, if only I'd had the cash

https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/recently-sold-items/minty-boxed-colt-m1903-pocket-hammerless-14954.html

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

No direct link Iím afraid, but if cowardly Boche want to take a crack at a tank take a look at lot 41 and 42 in the latest Gavin Gardiner sale. http://gavingardiner.com

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Please pay respects to my wallet, and feel free to point and laugh at my continued fiscal irresponsibility.

1913 Warner-Swasey telescopic musket sight, stamp in the dovetail means its USGI and thats the serial for the 1903 it was originally attached to.

"Gap letter" IHC M1, correct minus the stock & gas assembly

WWII Springfield M1 with a US Army repair tag

It has been a stupidly expensive month (of my own choice), and I need to stay away from anything not ramen for a little while.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Woah, that sight is awesome.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Woah, that sight is awesome.
Semi- related: Cleveland and some developers are spending 55 million to turn the long-abandoned hulk of Warner-Swasey's factory into condos.

All of that kicks rear end and im glad you are sharing your financial doom with us!

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Well here's an odd one https://www.gunbroker.com/item/889168755

(per the ad, vickers built luger for Dutch east India use with a Japanese chrysanthemum and Vietnam War capture papers)

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

flightless greeb posted:

(per the ad, vickers built luger for Dutch east India use with a Japanese chrysanthemum and Vietnam War capture papers)

Somebody left that set to ĎRustí for a bit too long.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Something something buy the gun not the story something something

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Need a quick ID. Coworker bought a bayonet in Croatia.

Looks vaguely familiar nothing too rare.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

Looks like it could be a standard Mauser/K98 bayonet.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Well he spent just under 30 at a flea market so not too bad.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

I donít think itís Russian. I got excited for a sec but it doesnít match my SVT bayo.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

flightless greeb posted:

AFAIK all Lugers with chrysanthemums are faked. The Japanese didn't put mums on their own handguns, much less reissued foreign ones.

Meanwhile here's Ian, Mike and Fabien getting messy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG0QOtqFwDo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6V19emlcjE

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

A no-fees estate auction at the local guntry club means much better than gunbroker prices, so today was an excellent milsurp day.

m94-14 with bayonet. Finally was able to buy one at a really reasonable price after watching on-and-off for ages.

P14 in a nicely patterened stock, though it has a repaired crack and I'll probably re-stock it for shooting.

M1917 Enfield with bayonet to add to the stack of Americans.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

M94s are really neat. What year is that one? Does it have the little barrel extension on it?

Yeah, they do sell pretty high, normally. I'm a bit jealous.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

poo poo, how much was the bayo for the M1917?
Those look awesome.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

glynnenstein posted:

A no-fees estate auction at the local guntry club means much better than gunbroker prices, so today was an excellent milsurp day.

m94-14 with bayonet. Finally was able to buy one at a really reasonable price after watching on-and-off for ages.

P14 in a nicely patterened stock, though it has a repaired crack and I'll probably re-stock it for shooting.

M1917 Enfield with bayonet to add to the stack of Americans.

super jealous, been looking at an M94 carbine for a while. congratulations!

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Wow, that looks like an awesome haul! Is the 1917 a lead-lease?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

It should be. The orange band was used in Canada and the UK to mark the M1917s as different from the P14s so that people didnít load .303 Brit into them.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Liam Acerbus posted:

M94s are really neat. What year is that one? Does it have the little barrel extension on it?

Yeah, they do sell pretty high, normally. I'm a bit jealous.

It's a 1918 with no barrel extension and no import mark, all matching. Really glad to have gotten ahold of this configuration. It bears an arsenal repair mark on the stock but I can't see what's been done, so maybe just restocked? Not sure.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

poo poo, how much was the bayo for the M1917?
Those look awesome.

Gun came with the bayonet for $600, which is a hell of a price these days even if it's not original, but I think it is.

I think so, yes. Certainly the stock is; there's a Canadian marking on it to go with the red stripe. I need to open my book to see if there's anything else I can check to indicate if it's been re-stocked.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It should be. The orange band was used in Canada and the UK to mark the M1917s as different from the P14s so that people didnít load .303 Brit into them.

It does look like a C Broad Arrow stamp on the stock, but the photo isn't clear enough to be sure.

*Edit, took to long to hit post, and it was answered anyways

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

glynnenstein posted:

It's a 1918 with no barrel extension and no import mark, all matching. Really glad to have gotten ahold of this configuration. It bears an arsenal repair mark on the stock but I can't see what's been done, so maybe just restocked? Not sure.

Gun came with the bayonet for $600, which is a hell of a price these days even if it's not original, but I think it is.

I think so, yes. Certainly the stock is; there's a Canadian marking on it to go with the red stripe. I need to open my book to see if there's anything else I can check to indicate if it's been re-stocked.

As said above, there should be broad arrow stamps on it. Pretty sure mine has one on the receiver. Iíll check when I get home tomorrow.
Sadly mine came with no paint though

E: a quick check into my sordid past of (very lightly, I swear) sanding the stock of my M1917 revealed this

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 27, 2021

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I'm sort of thinking of bidding on this fake sniper rifle - the metal looks like original finish to me? It's sort of my ideal which is a nice original finish mixmaster K98k that someone has already done the work to turn into a fairly accurate looking fake sniper rifle. In the before time I wouldn't have bid such a thing up past $1500 but now it seems like they regularly finish at $2k or beyond, so I'm sort of thinking if I can get it for less than that I'll go for it. Any of you mauser experts spot any reason why I should wave off immediately?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/895544548

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Finally greased my garand that was sitting on my floor for 6 months. The op rod spring replacement helped a lot. I could barely work the action at all and would bruise my thumb if I did it a few times. It's still a bit scratchy but way better. I can't wait to shoot this thing now.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

I thought the TS Carcanos were sold out by now, but I guess the gettin' is still good for a little while longer.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/surplus-carcano-model-91-ts-rifle-6-5x52mm.html

Rolling the dice for a companion to my cavalry carbine.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Mailed a payment today. Last big milsurp purchase for a while, I swear.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Somebody Awful posted:

Unless they've changed something recently, you just download the FFL application PDF from the ATF site, fill it out (it has C&R specific instructions), and print it. Send the ATF copy to ATF with $30, send the CLEO copy to your local chief of police with some kind of cover letter, and wait for ATF to do their thing. Here's a basic overview with a link to the form PDF and someone's example form.

E: that guy listed some business hours in the appropriate field, but you don't actually need them for a C&R. I wrote N/A - NOT A BUSINESS FFL across the boxes on mine and ATF approved my application and renewals just fine.

Yeah, I did the same thing. Just do the N/A thing and it's fine.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

I was looking at hunting rifles via G88/K88 and came across this

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...un_id=101566442

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Haha welp I just bought an MP34! Gonna have to SBR it and put on an original length barrel if I can find one.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It is hilarious to me how fast this sold out. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man