Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Scuzzywuffit posted:

Secondly, I donít have a C&R license. Iím assuming itís fine to have them send C&R items to a regular FFL dealer and pick it up that way?

Yeah, if you don't have a C&R then C&R stuff goes through a regular FFL like anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

kupachek posted:

That's the company Leonardo M. Antaris founded. If you ever read gunrags, you'll come across his stuff .The most recent article of his I saw was on Chinese Warlord pistols, which struck me as interesting timing considering Ian McCollum's upcoming book and that Antaris is someone he collaborates with . He also wrote a few books on different guns.

Oh, nice! I actually found the site because it was listed as a Forgotten Weapons sponsor, so itís cool to see that itís a deeper collaboration than somebody paying for ad space. The pistol Iím looking at is also an Astra, which he wrote a book on, so hopefully itís been reasonably well vetted.

Thanks for the responses, yíall.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Scuzzywuffit posted:

Oh, nice! I actually found the site because it was listed as a Forgotten Weapons sponsor, so itís cool to see that itís a deeper collaboration than somebody paying for ad space. The pistol Iím looking at is also an Astra, which he wrote a book on, so hopefully itís been reasonably well vetted.

Thanks for the responses, yíall.

I would firmly believe that to be the case, I have his book.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Scuzzywuffit posted:

Hello! I have a couple of newbie questions, and this seemed like the most appropriate thread for them.

Is anyone familiar with investmentsinarms.com? Itís not one Iíve seen discussed here, but they do have a pistol Iím interested in, assuming itís not a scam.

Secondly, I donít have a C&R license. Iím assuming itís fine to have them send C&R items to a regular FFL dealer and pick it up that way? I saw a post higher up the page talking about that being standard practice in NY, but wasnít sure if that was just an exception because of local laws being stricter than usual.

I'm having Thoughts about that Mateba they've got. Must resist, way too expensive

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/897782098

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Made in 79 no big deal.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Crab Dad posted:

Made in 79 no big deal.

I'll be damned. Didn't know those were made so late in the game.

Never mind me, nothing to see here. :shuffles self out window:

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

The P38 and its updated versions served in the German military as long as the 1911 did in ours.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Speaking of 1911s, I got my CMP field grade today!

I asked for one with an original finish, and I think thats what I got. Frame is a Colt WWII one, with an Ithaca slide. Barrel's a high standard, and it came with a mecgar magazine. Super happy with it.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Gorgeous!!

Do any of the Mauser brain geniuses have anything to say about this WWI G98 sniper reproduction? It ticks like every box I have.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/898077815

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

If I were going to drop big bucks on a repro sniper, I'd want one with a good bore. "Darker frosted" doesn't sound encouraging.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

It may not even be possible to sight in depending, I'm not super concerned with the accuracy ironically enough - old optics, no cheek weld, no free float etc don't set one up all that well to begin with haha

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

ask him for a picture of the bore, they're easy to get with a flashlight or phone flash. if he says no, well...

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/898794245

Worth the BIN? I want a Ljungman but I don't know much about them. $13-1400 seems to be around market price for people who don't think theirs is made of solid gold.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Can't comment on US prices, but it looks good. I love mine and I wish I'd stockpiled some more ammo for it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Handled one of those Romanian trainer bolt action .22s the other day. The rifle is nice, easily on par with the 1960s era Mossberg .22 that I have and love. If I shot more and if the price was better, I probably would have snagged it.

What's the deal with the prices on those bad boys anyways? They seem to be holding steady between 200-300 and haven't really moved much. I guess supply's good for now?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Handled one of those Romanian trainer bolt action .22s the other day. The rifle is nice, easily on par with the 1960s era Mossberg .22 that I have and love. If I shot more and if the price was better, I probably would have snagged it.

What's the deal with the prices on those bad boys anyways? They seem to be holding steady between 200-300 and haven't really moved much. I guess supply's good for now?

They're really fiddly. I ditched mine because I couldn't get it to feed from any magazines even after replacing parts.

Write up soon(ish)

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Missing Name posted:

Write up soon(ish)

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ok, I took it apart and realized I need to do a LOT more research and more (better) pictures before a box thread. Too many markings.

As far as the SAFE act goes... this is not an assault weapon by itself. No banned features. Besides, I hear the clip on flash hiders were useless and I don't want a drat bayonet lug added on. The (probably unreliable by now) original magazines have just been registered with the state. 15 rounds is high capacity in NY but antiques (specifically defined as "more than 50 years old") are ok to keep. Likewise, Rochester itself has a 5+1 round limit for centerfire semi auto rifles... but that is also waived due to the age of the gun itself.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Anybody sitting on $50K? Self loading Mausers from WW2 are not common. Self loading Mausers from WW1...

https://simpsonltd.com/mauser-fsik-carbine-with-case-c48431/

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

CMP issued a ammo notice if you haven't seen it yet

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011

MadBimber posted:

Anybody sitting on $50K? Self loading Mausers from WW2 are not common. Self loading Mausers from WW1...

https://simpsonltd.com/mauser-fsik-carbine-with-case-c48431/

Well, I was looking for something to defend my zepplin with...

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Missing Name posted:

Ok, I took it apart and realized I need to do a LOT more research and more (better) pictures before a box thread. Too many markings.

As far as the SAFE act goes... this is not an assault weapon by itself. No banned features. Besides, I hear the clip on flash hiders were useless and I don't want a drat bayonet lug added on. The (probably unreliable by now) original magazines have just been registered with the state. 15 rounds is high capacity in NY but antiques (specifically defined as "more than 50 years old") are ok to keep. Likewise, Rochester itself has a 5+1 round limit for centerfire semi auto rifles... but that is also waived due to the age of the gun itself.

Mag might still be illegal. The NY antique high cap exemption is if it can only be used in antiques. So being compatible with modern repros screws it.

Also, depending on legal interpretation might not be able to load >10 rds regardless of maximum capacity.

darnon fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 23, 2021

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Syrian Lannister posted:

CMP issued a ammo notice if you haven't seen it yet

Somehow I got it twice in my email. Glad I have adjustable plugs. I still need new springs though.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

I accidentally won an auction for a Tokarev "Sportowy", the goofy Polish .22 variant that uses all Tokarev parts except a .22 barrel and you need to put the ammo into 7.62x25 inserts to fire. Pretty neat! Looking forward to shooting it without paying dumb amounts for corrosive Berdan-primed ammo.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I accidentally won an auction for a Tokarev "Sportowy", the goofy Polish .22 variant that uses all Tokarev parts except a .22 barrel and you need to put the ammo into 7.62x25 inserts to fire. Pretty neat! Looking forward to shooting it without paying dumb amounts for corrosive Berdan-primed ammo.

I'm sorry, what? I didn't even know this was a thing. How much did it cost you? Please do a box thread and a range report. I loving love weird .22s.

Edit: Why are there are a glut of Tokarevs and surplus CZ variants for stupid amounts of money on gunbroker? Did they finally start drying up or is it just different varieties having different prices, or general stupidity?

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 24, 2021

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

After a great time with the local USPS, the krag I bought finally showed up. I had hoped it was legit carbine but based on a couple of factors, I think it's a cut down rifle. It's pretty nicely done but prrrrrobably not worth what I paid. On the other hand, carbine length krag! Fits on my shoulder nicely. Bolt is a bit gummy, needs a good cleaning. I'm curious if it will be as smooth as others have said. I also picked up a box of .30-40 which isn't liable to last long but maybe long enough for ammo to be less insane again.

I thought I'd read somewhere that some krag rifles were converted to shorter type but I can't find it and now I assume I made it up. Barrel band doesn't match carbine and the rear sight isn't marked "c", so.. too bad.

Manufactured in 1896, serial # in the 50,000, pretty early rifle.

I'm really curious how fast you can load this wacky side gate system. The spring inside is still strong so just chucking some rounds in might work. Stripper clips would be preferred but what can do in in America in 1896?

Artsy phone posting with .30-40.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm sorry, what? I didn't even know this was a thing. How much did it cost you? Please do a box thread and a range report. I loving love weird .22s.

Edit: Why are there are a glut of Tokarevs and surplus CZ variants for stupid amounts of money on gunbroker? Did they finally start drying up or is it just different varieties having different prices, or general stupidity?

A whopping $250 CDN. What's really cool is that the .22 barrel sticks out juuuust enough that I think I can get some threading on it for a dummy suppressor. Because silenced Tokarevs are incredibly cool.

edit: me and the boys at the range

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 24, 2021

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Picked up the MP34 today! Rare semi-auto conversion with a barrel extension welded on to make it 16". 9mm. Haven't fired it yet but it looks like they did a pretty nice job with it.

Lot of mag wells on this thing...

There we go!

Portuguese crest.

Very small rear notch. I wonder how they trained people to aim it at close range?

Rear sight ranges, a couple markings, Steyr logo.

It is covered in teeny tiny swastikas

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

my kinda ape posted:

Picked up the MP34 today! Rare semi-auto conversion with a barrel extension welded on to make it 16". 9mm. Haven't fired it yet but it looks like they did a pretty nice job with it.

Lot of mag wells on this thing...

There we go!

Portuguese crest.

Very small rear notch. I wonder how they trained people to aim it at close range?

Rear sight ranges, a couple markings, Steyr logo.

It is covered in teeny tiny swastikas

Nazi poo poo aside, that's loving awesome. I've never seen one converted to semi and for sale before. You might have the only one on the forums.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah that looks great! Very interested in a range report - is the design naturally open or closed bolt originally? Who did the conversion?

Is that a fully milled design? Everything about it looks awesome! Plans to SBR?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah that looks great! Very interested in a range report - is the design naturally open or closed bolt originally? Who did the conversion?

Is that a fully milled design? Everything about it looks awesome! Plans to SBR?

Originally open bolt. I think it's fully milled yeah. Theyíre known for being exceptionally well made guns and whoever rebuilt this one appears to have done an excellent job, at least from the outside. I haven't had time to disassemble it yet to see what the insides look like.

I'll probably SBR it if I can find an original length barrel. A couple companies have repro barrels listed on their website but out of stock. One told me they'd be making more once they got the materials to do so.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

May Pagan's light shine upon you.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Captain Log posted:

Nazi poo poo aside, that's loving awesome. I've never seen one converted to semi and for sale before. You might have the only one on the forums.

Misacho actually has one to according to one of his videos from a few years ago, unless he got rid of it. Two is probably a significant portion of the entire population of semi auto MP34s.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

Originally open bolt. I think it's fully milled yeah. Theyíre known for being exceptionally well made guns and whoever rebuilt this one appears to have done an excellent job, at least from the outside. I haven't had time to disassemble it yet to see what the insides look like.

I'll probably SBR it if I can find an original length barrel. A couple companies have repro barrels listed on their website but out of stock. One told me they'd be making more once they got the materials to do so.

ah man, please do a range report, especially if you have anything comparably sized in 9mm. MP34s are supposed to be the Cadillac of SMGs of the era.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

What's the "correct" sling for a M44? do they use the same pattern sling as the 91/30 or is it something else?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

What's the "correct" sling for a M44? do they use the same pattern sling as the 91/30 or is it something else?

Don't take this as gospel, but I'm pretty sure that it was just a regular 91/30 sling. You can adjust those pretty short if you want to. I've never seen a carbine specific sling, but then I'm also not too deep into the weeds on mosins.

That said, I remember when mosin carbines were coming in by the boat load more than a few were spotted wearing SMG slings. I don't know if that was some kind of official substitute or just a matter of it working.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Cyrano4747 posted:

Don't take this as gospel, but I'm pretty sure that it was just a regular 91/30 sling. You can adjust those pretty short if you want to. I've never seen a carbine specific sling, but then I'm also not too deep into the weeds on mosins.

That said, I remember when mosin carbines were coming in by the boat load more than a few were spotted wearing SMG slings. I don't know if that was some kind of official substitute or just a matter of it working.

Welcome back friend

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

Welcome back friend

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK