Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

On the one hand, I donít have a case. On the other hand this lives on my reloading bench:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh and big brother. Iíve used this one to fix a neighboring apartments clogged sink because like a goon I knew how to remove the trap but the only actual wrench I owned was, well. . .

Edit: apt manager was no where to be seen if anyone is wondering why I was fixing an old ladyís sink and not the people who should be. That place was awful. Found out the neighbors on the other side fixed their own outlets right before I left which is just

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Now the real get would be this:

A friend sent that to me a few days ago from a sadly already closed auction. The text reads "your life and your property deserve more protection."

It would be such a good thing to throw on the wall next to the safe. I need to see if I can find a quality version of that image if I can't find an actual original, just to get printed as a poster or something.

edit: from a graphical design standpoint the giant words "Ihr Schutz" would just be "Your protection" followed by the Mauser logo right under. With "protection" being ginormous compared to everything else.

Kudos assumedly long-dead advert graphical designer.

edit 2: spell check on whatever I've got running for that in my browser is OK with "ginormous." The editor in me just died a little. The historian in me who recognizes language evolves over time shrugged.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 5, 2021

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

drat, I actually kind of want those calipers.
Too bad I live in California and theyíre not willing to ship me my dangerous ...
measuring implements.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Cyrano4747 posted:

On the one hand, I donít have a case. On the other hand this lives on my reloading bench:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193463907091

Iím just going to assume the case bears the autograph of Paul himself.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I took out the shorty Swede for my first shots with it. It's a bit louder than my m/38!

It grouped great, especially considering I had to hold at the bottom of the target with the 300 meter sights.

I need to do a night shoot somewhere with this and my Carcano TS for the fireballs.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Awesome! How's the recoil? I've always wondered what it's like since it's short and presumably light but conversely 6.5 Swede is such a tame caliber.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

flightless greeb posted:

Awesome! How's the recoil? I've always wondered what it's like since it's short and presumably light but conversely 6.5 Swede is such a tame caliber.

You do notice the recoil with this little thing. It's not bad at all, but it's there even with with the mild 6.5x55. I think if I shot it all day long I'd be sore at the end of things and I'm not sure I'd say the same about my m/38 rifle.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

I learned a few interesting things today about the M1 Carbine I've had for a decade and a half-ish.

Been having a little renewed interest in it after it mostly having lived at the back of my safe. The original stock has a pretty large crack, so I always intended to get a new GI stock for it so I could shoot it more without worsening it. I finally pulled that trigger, so to speak.

Pretty snazzy, eh?

Anyway, I looked into this little import mark next to the rear sight:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/imports.html

GFCC Corp of Sacramento. These were sourced from Israel and the importer did LEO sales only, according to some posts on the CMP forums. That would explain how my grandma got mine from a big police auction where they were dumping a bunch of carbines. She gave it to me shortly before she died, so it's a pretty nice little heirloom.

Israelis liked to mark the stocks to match the serials on the rifles. My understanding is that's a distinctive little trait of these Israeli carbines.

Ouch. Yeah, this is why I didn't shoot it much.

drizzle
Jul 6, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/us-milita...910080302008005

Any chance these will be worth it?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Depends on the price. Midway tends to be OK-ish on prices in general.

My uneducated prediction is they'll be a decent opportunity if you're looking for one but they won't be a screaming deal or anything, and they'll go fast.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Just know you need to cancel your card and get a new one within 2 weeks if you buy stuff from midway

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Stravag posted:

Just know you need to cancel your card and get a new one within 2 weeks if you buy stuff from midway

Have they had problems with breaches?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

I order from them a few times a year and haven't noticed any problems on that front.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Last post about it was an archived thing on afcom from 2016.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Same, never had a problem with Midway.

They even let me return an order when I mistakenly bought the wrong thing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'll just note that, in general, if you are uneasy with using an online vendor because of card security concerns Privacy.com is a thing.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I may be confusing them with psa. I have good days and fuzzy days after the covid shot occasionally still. I got it like 4 days ago. Never had a vaccine mess me up this hard before

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Now their Stoner line is dubious as gently caress and I know a goon had a serious problem with their barrels.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Was Midway the one who was deleting negative reviews?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Stravag posted:

I may be confusing them with psa. I have good days and fuzzy days after the covid shot occasionally still. I got it like 4 days ago. Never had a vaccine mess me up this hard before

Yeah PSA is the one with very questionable credit card security.

As Action-Bastard said goons have had beef with Midway for a few business practice/customer service reasons though.

I hope you feel better!

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

boxen posted:

Wasn't that Royal Tiger?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Stupid question, but I love poring over rando milsurp I find out in the world. My eyes aren't the greatest and I often have a hard time reading the markings that note arsenal and what have you. What's the best way to examine these without making a mess or aggravating the clerks?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Stupid question, but I love poring over rando milsurp I find out in the world. My eyes aren't the greatest and I often have a hard time reading the markings that note arsenal and what have you. What's the best way to examine these without making a mess or aggravating the clerks?

Grab yourself a pocket-sized magnifying glass?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Magnifier and some kind of small penlight, yeah.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

A smudge of white chalk can make them easier to read sometimes, but the shop may not appreciate that. Otherwise, take a pic and zoom in on your phone.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

armorer posted:

A smudge of white chalk can make them easier to read sometimes, but the shop may not appreciate that. Otherwise, take a pic and zoom in on your phone.

Tried the phone. Doesn't work great when the shop isn't lit too well and you're aiming at blued metal. My phone's camera does not handle dark shapes ( like my cat ) well.

Penlight's a great suggestion tho. Thanks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

What you're looking for is a jewler's loupe. One of these guys, although this is just the cheapest thing I saw on amazon with a lazy search:

https://www.amazon.com/JARLINK-Illu...81VE910YGCK6FJ1

Basically they're little high power pocket magnifying glasses. Like all things if you're getting in deep you can find some loving nice stuff out there for $$$$ but for just having in your pocket for pawn shops and the like anything from $10-20 will do you fine.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Cyrano4747 posted:

What you're looking for is a jewler's loupe. One of these guys, although this is just the cheapest thing I saw on amazon with a lazy search:

Basically they're little high power pocket magnifying glasses. Like all things if you're getting in deep you can find some loving nice stuff out there for $$$$ but for just having in your pocket for pawn shops and the like anything from $10-20 will do you fine.

Get one with a light. Makes life easier.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is also a convenient way to make dishonest dealers sweat if they've done something fucky with the gun, like rebluing or marking alterations to make it seem more valuable.

You can also use it to send them into a frenzy trying to figure out what you saw while going "hmm".

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
NRA shill who thinks homeless people would love to live in migrant border camps. Help me realize I am a bigoted piece of shit.

"These M1 Carbines have not been arsenal refurbished"

Yeah, riiiiiiiiight.

boxen posted:

Yep. IIRC it was the stoner barrels with nicked feed ramps.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 8, 2021

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Super quick write-up of an initial look at my TT-33 Sportowy. It's a ComBloc training pistol almost identical to the Tokarev, but chambered in 22LR, which requires the use of 7.62x25 inserts that you seat the ammo inside.

It's almost indistinguishable from a stock TT. You'll notice the barrel slightly juts out.

Takedown is identical, except the spring is much shorter and under very little tension compared to the tyrannical TT spring, which you must hold down when taking the slide off or it flies back to Warsaw. The frame and hammer group are identical and interchangeable.

The slides are very similar. The Sportowy has a shaved down rear sight, and the ejection port is larger.

Here you see the difference in springs. The barrels are completely different.

German importer/exporter markings? I'm gonna need one of the waffen experts to help out with this one.

I'll do a proper effortpost when ranges open back up, showing off how the neat inserts work, and I'm happy to take any requests for closer pics of any of the mechanism.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Super quick write-up of an initial look at my TT-33 Sportowy. It's a ComBloc training pistol almost identical to the Tokarev, but chambered in 22LR, which requires the use of 7.62x25 inserts that you seat the ammo inside.

It's almost indistinguishable from a stock TT. You'll notice the barrel slightly juts out.

Takedown is identical, except the spring is much shorter and under very little tension compared to the tyrannical TT spring, which you must hold down when taking the slide off or it flies back to Warsaw. The frame and hammer group are identical and interchangeable.

The slides are very similar. The Sportowy has a shaved down rear sight, and the ejection port is larger.

German importer/exporter markings? I'm gonna need one of the waffen experts to help out with this one.

I'll do a proper effortpost when ranges open back up, showing off how the neat inserts work, and I'm happy to take any requests for closer pics of any of the mechanism.

Waff. Schu. is Waffen-Schumacher, an importer, and the BLE in a shield is used by the Liege proof house (Belgium). CIP over N is the nitroproof.

Make sure you set up something to catch those cartridges, don't want them to get lost at the range.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

That's neat as hell, you should do a full out box thread when you get some tmie.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Man, apropos of nothing, gently caress roll pins. Like, goddamn, I've never met a roll pin I didn't want to replace with an appropriately sized regular pin and a bit of loctite.

I mean, I get why they exist. I get that they're an objectively better fastener and stay put better, especially if you're dealing with vibrations etc. But man, even with some proper roll pin punches, gently caress 'em.

Why yes I decided to remove the handguard retainer on my Garand when I took it down for a thorough cleaning today, why do you ask?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Stuck or lost?

Also I got distracted and narrowly missed out on an Uruguayan marked FN Mauser 1893 today.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

Stuck or lost?

Also I got distracted and narrowly missed out on an Uruguayan marked FN Mauser 1893 today.

Just didn't want to go back in. Was a royal pain in the rear end to get it back where it needed to be.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh and check this out. I've been running the borescope thorough everything as I clean them and there's some neat poo poo in those old barrels.

The garand's got some really interesting machining marks inside the grooves. Parallel and perpendicular lines, all up and down. Its under the chrome and it's not present on the lands. You can also see a streak of copper I didn't get off there. Edit: land is in the middle, the grooves are along both sides of that pic. Realized it's a bit hard to tell if you're not oriented.

That's just south of the gas port.

Here's one just ahead of the chamber, where it looks like straight up chatter.

Gun shoots great, not worried about the barrel in the slightest, just interesting to see what was fine for a 1953 military barrel. My guess is that were cutting with some worn the gently caress out tooling by that point, but I'm not machinist.

edit 2:

Bonus gas port shot. I'll never get tired of getting pics of those from inside the barrel.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

What kind of borescope do you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

What kind of borescope do you have?

A cheap 5mm one off Amazon. IIRC it was $35? USB, uses the camera program on my laptop to do its thing, supposedly works with phones and tablets if they've got a mini-usb on them too.

I'm happy to toss anyone the link who wants it via PM, but the fuckers did that slimy thing where they offered me a full rebate on the price if I gave them a good review which just rubs me the wrong way, so I don't want a permanent ad for them hanging around on the forums.

Which is kind of hilarious because it's actually pretty good for the price and I'm really very happy with it. I'd be giving them a lot of free advertising if they just didn't get a bit over eager trying to buy one.