Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also a borescope is just such a dumb, stupid thing that there is no way you actually need it but it's also a hilariously fun toy that's given me hours of entertainment looking at everything from pristine barrels to sewer pipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also a borescope is just such a dumb, stupid thing that there is no way you actually need it but it's also a hilariously fun toy that's given me hours of entertainment looking at everything from pristine barrels to sewer pipes.

I'd really enjoy seeing some borescope posts that involve things like, "How to spot a re-blued finish/When Pits are Bad/Crown Problems" or other hard to spot stuff. My Milsurp experience os 99% this thread, so I'm pretty uneducated about spotting non-obvious problems.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Plus, you get colonoscopies for life.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Gewehr 43 posted:

Plus, you get colonoscopies for life.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Little late for V-E day but I thought I would show off my favorite WW2 rifle.

From biggest to smallest

• Chiappa M1-9 (9mm copy)
  • Underwood M1 carbine (Israeli surplus, rearsenaled) (.30 carbine original)
  • Ruger 10/22 M1 carbine tribute edition (.22lr)
  • Chiappa M1-22 (.22lr)

One day I'll get a proper M1 carbine wood stock for the USGI carbine, just it's so expensive with ITAR restrictions forcing me to buy one from numrich ($200) as any place with cheaper stocks don't do international orders.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

https://www.midwayusa.com/us-military-surplus-m1-carbines?fbclid=IwAR3M9bxuoeGpAU3Q3MpHOVYONcv2FSrPECZgecZQCBT-2IrGFifEjMiutgs

Huh, so Midway is getting some M1 Carbines?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

that looks potentially very good. without being rearsanled they shouldnt have the bayonet band. if i didnt already own a decent example id be all over this

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Be very curious to see where they end up priced. I doubt midway has missed how much royal tiger and the like have been able to charge for them and they certainly know the value of an unrearsenaled Carbine!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Has anyone bought actual guns from Simpson Ltd https://simpsonltd.com/ before? I've gotten books and other random crap but never actual heaters. I;m thinking bout thos Lugers again

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

DrPop posted:

Has anyone bought actual guns from Simpson Ltd https://simpsonltd.com/ before? I've gotten books and other random crap but never actual heaters. I;m thinking bout thos Lugers again
Yup, and it was a great experience. Good communication, knew exactly what I was getting because they take a pic of each gun, etc.

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

DrPop posted:

stealie72 posted:

Yup, and it was a great experience. Good communication, knew exactly what I was getting because they take a pic of each gun, etc.

The pricing can be a bit high, and there may be some caveats about trusting (or not trusting) their claims, even if their pictures are clear and good. In the last milsurp thread there was some discussion about it when they listed and sold a Mitchell's Mauser for two grand.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

I recall that. Too bad I didn't screenshot the page as it's 404ed now.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Like many places that deal in surplus, some of their prices are decent while others are out to lunch.

https://simpsonltd.com/ross-rifle-co-1905-sporter-d15900/

A grand for a sporterized Ross is

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Yond Cassius posted:

The pricing can be a bit high, and there may be some caveats about trusting (or not trusting) their claims, even if their pictures are clear and good. In the last milsurp thread there was some discussion about it when they listed and sold a Mitchell's Mauser for two grand.
TBH, I'm fine with their prices being high since they take a bunch of pictures of the actual gun that you're buying, and not just grabbing one from a crate and selling it to you. The mitchells thing is lovely on their part though.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thermos posted:

Like many places that deal in surplus, some of their prices are decent while others are out to lunch.

https://simpsonltd.com/ross-rifle-co-1905-sporter-d15900/

A grand for a sporterized Ross is

A sportered Ross that is missing one of the most valuable parts of the rifle, its rear sight leaf!

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Fearless posted:

A sportered Ross that is missing one of the most valuable parts of the rifle, its rear sight leaf!

Seriously! Why would anyone buy that when for the same price they could own this weird loving thing.

https://simpsonltd.com/ross-rifle-co-m1910-rifle-sporter-d15874/

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thermos posted:

Seriously! Why would anyone buy that when for the same price they could own this weird loving thing.

https://simpsonltd.com/ross-rifle-co-m1910-rifle-sporter-d15874/

I asked, why does that Ross look like it has a choke and then I read the description. I'd gladly own the shotgun over that sporter, any day. Bolt action .410s are fantastic squirrellin' guns.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 10, 2021

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

I was under the impression that some of the pricing on Simpson is driven by the items being consignment? So you sometimes see absurd prices for items that aren't worth it. Like, I've seen some variable Colt pistols and C96s go for well under market rate, which I assumed was consigner wanting to be rid of the item.

Either way they have good pics and what appear to be accurate descriptions. I'll buy my Fliegergewehr some day!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

MadBimber posted:

I was under the impression that some of the pricing on Simpson is driven by the items being consignment? So you sometimes see absurd prices for items that aren't worth it. Like, I've seen some variable Colt pistols and C96s go for well under market rate, which I assumed was consigner wanting to be rid of the item.

Either way they have good pics and what appear to be accurate descriptions. I'll buy my Fliegergewehr some day!

https://simpsonltd.com/enfield-martini-rifle-577-c43262/

That could very well be so, and would explain some of these prices. This seems quite high for a rifle missing its clearing rod and a bayonet bereft of its sheath, and the overall condition of the rifle-- decent, complete Mk IVs are about 600 CAD and we had as much access to them as the US did (they were never issued to Canadian personnel as a military arm and the ones here are all imports from India and elsewhere overseas).

Fearless fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 10, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Crosspost from the monthly thread, but it's of interest here too:

re: our earlier conversation about old, lovely surplus ammo, Ian's got a video out that tl;dr's down to "why are you buying nice things and putting poo poo through them?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mDHs4hL5MI

I mean, he's talking about MGs for a good chunk of it, but at the end he circles around to point out how it's a false economy even with bolt actions.

I like his general point, and the nuance he throws in about not all surplus being garbage. I shoot Greek HXP .30-06 and Swiss GP11 too, but the list of surplus ammo I'll shoot these days is short enough that it's less about me knowing what ammo's bad and more about me knowing what exceptions I'm going ot make to my general rule.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

He makes a good point. Back in the days when surplus rifles were cheap and people were hacking them up they were firing cheap ammo because that was part of the fun of it.

Now surplus guns are no longer cheap and loving them up will potentially cost you a lot of money so it's worthwhile to be more careful. GP11 is the only surplus ammo I regularly shoot. Everything else is either new factory (if the gun can handle it) or handloads.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Thermos posted:

He makes a good point. Back in the days when surplus rifles were cheap and people were hacking them up they were firing cheap ammo because that was part of the fun of it.

Now surplus guns are no longer cheap and loving them up will potentially cost you a lot of money so it's worthwhile to be more careful. GP11 is the only surplus ammo I regularly shoot. Everything else is either new factory (if the gun can handle it) or handloads.

Also note that we're 15 - 20 years past those glory days. That tin of surplus 8mm that was 50 years old in 2004 is coming up on 70 now.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

I'LL FIRE SURPLUS TURKISH IN MY RARE MAUSER SEMIAUTO PROTOTYPE AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Even Cyrano doesn't want to emulate Paul Mauser that badly.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

Even Cyrano doesn't want to emulate Paul Mauser that badly.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Today we're going to kill two birds with one stone. We'll be seeing if this prototype Gustlof MKb-206 can fire now that we machined some new parts that look right. And we'll test whether this bandolier of Turkish surplus we found tied to this bush in the desert will still function.

My name's Ivan McCummom, and this is Remembered Weapons.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Editing video can suck a dick.

I'm slowly cobbling together my first Musket Missive episode and I recorded it in three chunks: Two eight minute chunks and a 19 minute chunk.

I've finally edited together the two eight minute chunks and successfully salvaged six and a half minutes of usable footage from that.

I sure hope I get at least ten minutes out of the 19 minute chunk otherwise this video is going to be embarrassingly short.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

A short video is nothing to be embarrassed about. Length is nothing compared to concise and interesting content delivery.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

McNally posted:

Editing video can suck a dick.

I'm slowly cobbling together my first Musket Missive episode and I recorded it in three chunks: Two eight minute chunks and a 19 minute chunk.

I've finally edited together the two eight minute chunks and successfully salvaged six and a half minutes of usable footage from that.

I sure hope I get at least ten minutes out of the 19 minute chunk otherwise this video is going to be embarrassingly short.

You best spam this thread with the videos so I can LIKE and SUBSCRIBE every time.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Prof. Banks posted:

A short video is nothing to be embarrassed about. Length is nothing compared to concise and interesting content delivery.

Yeah - one of the things that really puts me off the C&Rsenal (I think? Othais & Mae) is seeing “interesting gun: 1 hour long”. Forgotten Weapons is dead on for timing, almost always. An hour video is far better as a written article, at least in my view.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

Prof. Banks posted:

I think that, so long as you deliver what you have to say on the subject in a somewhat timely manner, you'll be fine.

If you miss some things, there's always a bonus episode.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Vindolanda posted:

Yeah - one of the things that really puts me off the C&Rsenal (I think? Othais & Mae) is seeing “interesting gun: 1 hour long”. Forgotten Weapons is dead on for timing, almost always. An hour video is far better as a written article, at least in my view.

Yup, 100% this.

The only caveat is when you are demonstrating some mechanical bit that doesn't really translate to writing well, or that is just much easier to demonstrate. Same thing for firing demonstrations. Basically, use the strengths of the medium.

That said, Ian's gotten really good at addressing the camera well, and like Vindolanda said he doesn't over-stay his welcome. It's a balancing act, but on the whole I bias towards shorter videos that are somewhat condensed.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I like that C&Rsenal does the minute of Mae videos. It's great when you just want a quick overview and to see the gun go bang.

I try to keep my videos under 5 minutes but as others have said, as long as you say what you have to say in a clear and concise manner I wouldn't worry about length. I always think of other stuff I wanted to do/say after I finish. Future episodes!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Thanks for the thoughts on Simpson! Here's phone photos of a 28/30 i got recently that i can't remember if i posted

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Wow that's gorgeous! Have you shot it yet?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

DrPop posted:

I'm not saying it 'means' anything, but this jumped out at me while browsing the website and made me laugh.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

I'm a big fan of C&Rsenal specifically because they source good info from books I'm not likely to ever purchase. I learn well from reading or listening, so a class on guns that's free sounds good to me

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Vindolanda posted:

This would be SO much better if they put chapter breaks in the video, and timestamps in the description.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Thermos posted:

Wow that's gorgeous! Have you shot it yet?

Nope, maybe sometime this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

I managed about ten and a half minutes, the video is exporting now.

Holy poo poo, I think I did it.

Episode one is probably going up this evening.