Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«47 »
armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Somebody Awful posted:

Just remembered my C&R runs out in a few months. If it's anything like the last time, my renewal packet should arrive any day now.

I just renewed mine. Acquired 9, ditched 1. Am I doing it right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

mikerock posted:

This is not wholly accurate. CZ was making them this way for the Canadian market from the get go. They were inspected and approved by the RCMP for import this way. The early Marstar rifles (I had one) just had a block installed in the receiver where the FA bits would go. It was the same with the Swiss Arms, despite always being a 550, and the original Type 97s being able to accept FA trigger groups, they were all inspected by the RCMP and approved for import. The mistake was with the RCMP approving them without doing their due diligence and then not realising their mistake until years later.

Ah, I thought that was the case for the SAN rifles (mistaken approval), but thought the CZ 858 was a case of a specific batch of them being converted autos, with the rest of them being fine. Which is how I thought it went from all CZ 858s being prohibited to just the affected production range according to the RCMP.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Jehde posted:

Ah, I thought that was the case for the SAN rifles (mistaken approval), but thought the CZ 858 was a case of a specific batch of them being converted autos, with the rest of them being fine. Which is how I thought it went from all CZ 858s being prohibited to just the affected production range according to the RCMP.

The early batches were very small runs (50 or so) and have different model numbers. I was amazed myself when they weren't caught up in the legislation.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

Wow that's even more of a mess than I thought on the RCMP side.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Swiss crew representing. Finally getting my gunroom going and slowly getting everything out of storage but luckily the first batch was the cooler rifles so I could start to set up the GP11 wall. A PU mosin and heirloom SMLE are sneaking in for now but will go on another wall once the next group of guns arrive.

It's also really hard to line up those weirdo profiles evenly without wasting a ton of space but it's a start.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Wheres your ZFK!!

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Hiding between the martini and Hammerli, the scope is stored in its tin on a shelf. Just look for the muzzle dildo.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Can't believe I missed that!! Also looks great! That's definitely a collection worthy of its own room.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Ding

Obligatory bathroom floor pic

Type 56 SKS, matching, 1965 date factory 26.

I got this right before thanksgiving and spent that weekend cleaning it up (it was DIRTYYYYY). Shot a few hundred rounds over the various holidays and its way more accurate than I expected. Its kinda replaced everything I own as my favorite now.

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 26, 2020

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

HEY CYRANO WATCH THIS VID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paQ-2e4Xd6U

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

unf.

I'm trying to get into earlier mauser poo poo but hooooly crap when you start peeling back that onion poo poo gets expensive fast.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Coldrice posted:

Obligatory bathroom floor pic

Type 56 SKS, matching, 1965 date factory 26.

I got this right before thanksgiving and spent that weekend cleaning it up (it was DIRTYYYYY). Shot a few hundred rounds over the various holidays and its way more accurate than I expected. Its kinda replaced everything I own as my favorite now.

Nice! How do you like the rear sight? Would you recommend one?

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Ding

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Nice! How do you like the rear sight? Would you recommend one?

Definitely! I tried some rounds right after cleaning and then it wasnít a bad shot just... hard to aim? Tech sights was like immediate easy mode and have retained zero each cleaning.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Anyone given the blitzkrieg chevron tritium front sight posts a try? They decent?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Looks like I've run into a tiny snag. The new cocking piece will not turn on the firing pin to reassemble. The barrel section is a little shorter than the original, but everything else seems to line up well.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I replaced all of the other parts and still have the same problem. That leads me to believe the cocking piece is the issue. Well, that or maybe the whole bolt is wrong? There's a tiny bit of play when the bolt is locked in and that seems to make the difference between clean break and not. With the new parts, I will get the occasional clean break. I want to say maybe one out of seven or eight. I wasn't really counting.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It looks like you got a k98k cocking piece and you need a Yugo Mauser cocking piece. The yugos made their bolts a tiny bit longer which means they donít interchange with k98ks.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Numrich got tricked or tricked me. The part number I purchased is listed for 48, 48a, 24, and 24/47. I guess I'll contact customer service. Thanks Cyrano.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

As an aside I also donít think any of the yugo bolts were blued. I THINK they kept all there bolts in the white.

See any makers marks on that probably-k98k-piece?

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Numrich got tricked or tricked me. The part number I purchased is listed for 48, 48a, 24, and 24/47. I guess I'll contact customer service. Thanks Cyrano.

Well, the Yugos also refurbished K98ks so it's entirely possible it was an honest mistake on their part. Might be worthwhile to contact them for a replacement.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yugo small arms are such a lovable cluster gently caress.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Here's the two marks that I can find:

"J"

Off-center "I"

The firing pin will start to turn and then lock up like the channels inside the barrel are narrowing or something. The firing pin sticks out the back a little as well. Other than that, everything lines up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lemme check my books when I get home but that feels Czech to me.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

So I picked up my first bolt action rifle, a Smith Corona 1903A3 with reproduction stock.

I also put a winning minimum bid on a Yugo M24/52 C after seeing Classic sell some German occupation VZ 24s for a high price and panicked. Is the Yugo M24/52 C essentially like the Yugo M98/48 rework of acquired German 98k's except with a VZ 24 instead?

TheAsterite fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 12, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Here's the two marks that I can find:

"J"

Off-center "I"

The firing pin will start to turn and then lock up like the channels inside the barrel are narrowing or something. The firing pin sticks out the back a little as well. Other than that, everything lines up.

So I can't find anything either in my books or online, but the more I look at that the more it feels Yugo to me. Maybe Czech. Something about it is just tweaking a part of my brain that says one of those two, post-ww2 manufacture.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

C&R questions:

When applying as an individual, do I need to apply with my full name, or can I just use First Last and then put my Full name in the responsible persons section?

I read conflicting reports about putting in hours of availability for C&R. Some say it's only for business licenses, others say to put an hour in even when applying as a Collector?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

I just wrote "N/A - NOT IN THE BUSINESS" across the blank spaces and ATF has approved it every time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Same. I also put my full legal name in any field that asks about names.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I'm not having any luck finding a new cocking piece. Some old posts on old forums say the cocking piece from a 48 should fit. Maybe this one got confused for one of those? How bad of an idea is it to modify either the cocking piece or the firing pin to make it work?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Well, apparently people are able to modify model 98 firing pins to work in M48s so . . . probably doable?

Notice how the m98 pin is longer though. I'm assuming that modification is to use it in a m48 bolt that has an m48 cocking piece.

Can you get the firing pin into the cocking piece with it out of the rest of the rifle? I'm wondering if it could be as simple as a burr on an interior surface or something.

edit: anyone here have both an M48 and a m98 pattern mauser and feel like taking bolts apart for science?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Oh yeah, it even starts to turn into place then gets hung up like the channels get too narrow. I was thinking of just polishing the shoulders to see if burrs were an issue.

Edit: maybe the finish is causing the problem?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly, I'd put the cocking piece in a padded vice and see if I could use a padded wrench to turn the firing pin. Don't hulk out and overdo it, you don't want getting poo poo stuck together, but it might be as simple as a little resistance that you can't overcome finger tight that might work itself out after taking it on and off a few times.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Seems like that's working! I'll have to work it a bunch but it's already turnable by hand. Idk if I could do it during reassembly yet though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Great. You might run into problems with the safety depending on where the notch in the cocking piece sits in relation to the rest of it. Good news is that a non functional safety isnít the end of the world and if need be you can probably do some fitting or cut a new notch or something.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Once I get the bolt back together I should be able to see that stuff. Once I get the whole rifle back together I can try mortaring it again to see if that was enough to fix it.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Well the new parts are on and there's still no clean break. The silver lining is that it seems much less likely to go off if I drop it. I mortared the gun about 10 times and it dropped 2 times.

The rear of the bolt still has play when locked up, and when I push it down with my other hand, the clean break is super crisp. Is there a way that the rear of the receiver is out of shape, stretched, or something?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

C&R renewal form showed up today. Looks like the same deal as last time.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

What's a good price range for a Manurhin P38 or P1? I assume less than the wartime P38s?

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Just picked this up from my lgs today. A Remington m1917 that seems to have been imported by Century from... somewhere.

Barrel seems to be original Remington with a 7 - 18 date. Bolt is Remington also, but is serialized and not matching to the receiver. Stock is probably a reproduction. It feels waxy like my beech wood vz58 furniture, and not like my 1903a3 or garand walnut reproduction stocks.

I don't see any noticeable painted 30-06 caliber markings on the stock or any Canadian markings.

Is there a good way to find out where this was imported from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Looks like the stock has been sanded and polished as some milsurp collectors were want to do back in the 50-00s.

Also, sup '18 production Remington Buddy.

«47 »