Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«47 »
NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867561139

Decent looking Mosin still at a reasonable price if anyone's looking. Hour left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

darnon posted:

The idea is you'd get an SBR stamp and then restore the stock. Otherwise it'd need to have an extra 6.25" of barrel sticking out to make the minimum for a rifle.

Can’t some semi-skilled machinist make a “folding wrist brace not a stock” that looks close to the original?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Dingleberry posted:

Can’t some semi-skilled machinist make a “folding wrist brace not a stock” that looks close to the original?

Itd be a lot of work for a pretty small market, to say nothing of the fact that with the absence of ye olde cheap 762tok ammo most of the people buying these are collectors who'd want a more accurate representation. Unless you're in an unlucky state just SBRing it is pretty easy.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867561139

Decent looking Mosin still at a reasonable price if anyone's looking. Hour left.

if i didn't already have an m91/30 i'd think about that, hex receiver too

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DeesGrandpa posted:

Itd be a lot of work for a pretty small market, to say nothing of the fact that with the absence of ye olde cheap 762tok ammo most of the people buying these are collectors who'd want a more accurate representation. Unless you're in an unlucky state just SBRing it is pretty easy.

Yeah the whole point of those “pistols” is that they’re pretty easy to restore as an SBR.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7VWhjUDFD4

DIY indoor gallery rounds for obsolete revolvers.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Nice looking W.W Greener Martini Shotgun. Missing the stock end cap at the muzzle that I like so I'm not gonna bid on it if anyone wants it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867818814

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I should probably fix the sticky bolt on my Mosin M38.

I should probably get the 20 dollar gas shut-off valve from Numrich so that my SKS is no longer a semi-automatic bolt action rifle.

Edit: Never had the Mosin headspaced, either. Hum. Maybe I should get a 7.62x54r gauge. gently caress it, I'll probably buy at least two or three more rifles in that if I stay in the hobby.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 19, 2020

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

DkHelmet posted:

They’re fun.

I'm going to follow up with you about this at some point. I like.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The limited disassembly I did on the Mauser was a reminder that I actually need to buy, you know, tools. Why? Because none of the screwdrivers I had fit for poo poo. You know what did?

The loving screwdriver on my Swiss army knife.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

The Mosin gets around it by issuing a screwdriver with your cleaning kit that also acts as a firing pin protrusion gauge.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Precision ground screwdrivers are what you need. I'm sure these other guys can be more useful on what to get specifically, I just got mine from my grandpa.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The limited disassembly I did on the Mauser was a reminder that I actually need to buy, you know, tools. Why? Because none of the screwdrivers I had fit for poo poo. You know what did?

The loving screwdriver on my Swiss army knife.

I'm the first guy to say to buy a decent set of hollow ground screwdrivers. Good investment, get some if you're going to do much with milsurp.

But you know what? That little fucker on your swiss army knife? It works pretty well too on most common milsurp rifles. I'd be lying if I said I didn't use it a hell of a lot when I was getting into milsurp. By dint of it being a stamped piece of metal it's doing the same thing that a hollow ground of that size would be, namely not being a big gross wedge that's focusing force on the edge of the slot in the screw.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm the first guy to say to buy a decent set of hollow ground screwdrivers. Good investment, get some if you're going to do much with milsurp.

But you know what? That little fucker on your swiss army knife? It works pretty well too on most common milsurp rifles. I'd be lying if I said I didn't use it a hell of a lot when I was getting into milsurp. By dint of it being a stamped piece of metal it's doing the same thing that a hollow ground of that size would be, namely not being a big gross wedge that's focusing force on the edge of the slot in the screw.

I just thought it was funny, using a Swiss knife to take apart a Mauser.

I'm not going to buy a crazy array of tools, but I always browse whenever I go to the pawn shop. And there's a Harbor Freight in town. I've got a few things on my list that go beyond guns/gun specific tools. I'm sure I'll get use out of a dremel beyond guns. I'm sure I'll get use out of the screwdrivers I buy beyond guns.

What I really need to do is find my gun cleaning kit before I go shooting. Might have to buy a new one.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Someone should just post an Amazon link to a good screwdriver set, cleaning kit basics, mats, preservation liquids, etc as a milsurp starter kit

Just bought a gun worth more then the stuff in this cart? Cool! Now buy the stuff in the cart.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I’ve actually been pondering a “good kit thread” for a while. Just people giving solid recommendations on poo poo like decent but cheap range bags etc. Not the specific gear like guns and scopes and holsters etc that get covered elsewhere the daily use junk like bags and rests and the like.

Anyways pretty much any hollow ground bits will do the job. You just want to make sure that they fit the screw you’re putting them in. The good news is that individual bits are sold in pretty much any size you can imagine so if you get a solid starter kit you can build on it. A lot of the time you’ll see reviews on the cheap bits that complain about them breaking or chipping but for me that’s a feature not a bug. I don’t want my hundred year old screw to get mangled or worse snap. I want the point of failure to be the bit that I can easily replace.

Heres a sub-$30 kit I found on amazon. I don’t have any personal experience with it but it looks like it would do the job.

Also here’s a good graphic of why hollow ground is what you want. Stolen from the above listing.

You want a bit that will fit the slot completely and go down to the bottom. The tapered screwdrivers you’ll find on the bottom shelf in Home Depot end up putting a ton of stress on the edges of the slot in the screw which is what leads to the mangled metal.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I have the more extensive Wheeler kit (the 89 piece) and it's a good value for the quality. It is 100% worth having the right tools to not scratch up old guns on tight screws and my assortment does everything I've ever needed. I don't use mine for anything but guns because I am a lot harder on my work tools and I do think these things would get damaged and risk marring guns, etc.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

The larger kit seems really cool with this special tools, and I might just grab it to have good bits all self contained. All my bits are all over the place and so are my punches, etc. Need to find a better way to mount them on my peg board

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Roundboy posted:

The larger kit seems really cool with this special tools, and I might just grab it to have good bits all self contained. All my bits are all over the place and so are my punches, etc. Need to find a better way to mount them on my peg board

Having it laid out like it is in the case is wonderful because you can pull the bits to test fit and move up and down on how wide the are in both dimensions as they sit in the screw head to get the absolutely precise fit.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I think I said this in the CZ thread when I did a trigger job on my pistol, but it bears repeating here: pay the extra money for a steel bench block. I cheaped out and got an amazon hard plastic one for 15 bucks or something and it wasn't strong enough for some of the pins. By the time I was done with it I still hadn't gotten a pin all the way flush and the block looked like a dog chewed on it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

If you're getting into guns as a hobby the sooner you buy a big screwdriver set and a punch and gunsmithing hammer set the sooner your life will be a lot easier. It took me a long time to buy punches and I made do without them but they saved me so much hassle when I finally got some along with a hammer with various nylon/rubber/brass heads.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

I have that hammer/punch set that's in the listing would highly recommend as well.

edit: a long gun mat (mouse pad stuff) is another good purchase, a heavy metal bowl with magnets for containing screws and bits, some sort of soft headed mallet.

A gun cleaning vise/station thing like this is also a must have.

Super 3 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 19, 2020

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I was just gifted three 15 round M1 Carbine magazines and 120 rounds from someone who inherited them. Is the "U" stamp significant? Can't wait to pay it off and bring it home. Maybe some ranges will be open by then.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I was just gifted three 15 round M1 Carbine magazines and 120 rounds from someone who inherited them. Is the "U" stamp significant? Can't wait to pay it off and bring it home. Maybe some ranges will be open by then.

I looked it up and it seems that "U" on a magazine is Union Hardware. I'm not sure how rare they are but I don't think they're particularly valuable because they don't seem to be super rare and they don't have the "familiar brand" tax of IBM or Rock-Ola.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Union hardware manufactured mag

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

"Unsafe." Better send them to me.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Oh no! Unsafe? Must be the good ones

Thanks everyone! I hope they're not clapped out, I've read and heard that magazines can be a problem.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The first bit of kit I get when I actually start buying tools proper will be a loving padded vise that I can use to hold bolt carriers and the like that need to have a prolonged conversation with a punch.

I actually have a honking great desk just sitting on my porch at the moment, where it has been for years, because I've been suitably disinclined to take it apart for fear of having to put it back together again. It'd be perfect for doing work on.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

One of the best things I bought for my (harbor freight) vise was a set of plastic pads with magnetic backs. I just throw them on and they hold and protect whatever I want without fuss or adjustment

If I need more I just use shop rags in the mix

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

To get in on this derail, does anyone have a decent enough clamp on vice? I'm apartment living and don't quite have workbench space, but my table is sturdy and I don't much care if it gets dinged up.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

DeesGrandpa posted:

To get in on this derail, does anyone have a decent enough clamp on vice? I'm apartment living and don't quite have workbench space, but my table is sturdy and I don't much care if it gets dinged up.

I got this Stanley MAXSTEEL, although I think the same model is sold under a lot of names. Works well given what it is. I use a pad on the table because the clamping foot does dent it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...g?ie=UTF8&psc=1

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

I've made the very difficult choice of parting with my 1939 Soviet Maxim gun. Sad times, but it sat in the safe too long unappreciated.

I stopped by my local gunshop on the way home after handing it over to the new owner, and promptly bought a MKIII Sten to fill the automatic void left in my heart.

Potatopic:

Its kinda rusty, and looks very junky. But its only fitting, since I sold my MKII to buy the Maxim. Supposedly a battlefield pickup from the netherlands. I love it.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

let me be the first to say

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

One, more pictures of the Sten.

Two, what are your plans for it?

Three: All the Maxim pictures you have right now please and thank you.

LingcodKilla
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

N17R4M posted:

I've made the very difficult choice of parting with my 1939 Soviet Maxim gun. Sad times, but it sat in the safe too long unappreciated.

I stopped by my local gunshop on the way home after handing it over to the new owner, and promptly bought a MKIII Sten to fill the automatic void left in my heart.

Potatopic:

Its kinda rusty, and looks very junky. But its only fitting, since I sold my MKII to buy the Maxim. Supposedly a battlefield pickup from the netherlands. I love it.

So where you at again? Malta?

Bubakles
Jul 24, 2007
Po babitos una te babito kokeros

N17R4M posted:

Potatopic:

Nice! What is the going rate on these in Malta?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TFvBMdvuwY

Putting a cowcatcher on your gun: worse than useless.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868562857

this seems quite cheap, do you guys think the "probably arsenal refinished" passes the smell test? That's the only reason I can see nobody touching this thing, really.

here's another for almost same price, it looks great minus the small crack near the tang which is concerning

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868866571

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MadBimber posted:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868562857

this seems quite cheap, do you guys think the "probably arsenal refinished" passes the smell test? That's the only reason I can see nobody touching this thing, really.

Those pics are terrible, you can't tell piss all about them. I think I see what might be normal wear on the high points so maybe it's just in good condition but I'm reading tea leaves through a telescope here. Something about the wood makes my spidey senses tingle too. I dunno, it just has that kind of flat look that a BLO refinish gets, although frankly that could also just be the lighting . The pics are rear end. Might be worth rolling the dice, maybe not.

quote:

here's another for almost same price, it looks great minus the small crack near the tang which is concerning

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868866571

That's a really common place for Mauser stocks to crack. A quick survey of the rifles that it was easiest to look at shows it on two of my K98ks (edit: out of 4 k98ks and 3 G98s), and one of those is an RC that I've put at least a couple thousand rounds through in the last 15 years. That crack's been there a while.

It's something that's a bit of a risk but I wouldn't let it put me off too bad. I'd certainly keep an eye on it and take note if it was starting to spread but it wouldn't put me off too much.

For what it's worth and with the huge caveat that I'm just looking at pictures on the internet, if I were looking to buy one I'd of course choose a stock without that over one with, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Here. This is my #1 most shot Mauser. I don’t think this has spread appreciably in the last fifteen years but I can’t find any old pics of it.

«47 »