Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«47 »
MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

yeah I was under the impression that a crack there would be somewhat common, i know some rifles from other countries have reinforced tangs specifically to counter that. I'm just kind of baffled by the low price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

MadBimber posted:

yeah I was under the impression that a crack there would be somewhat common, i know some rifles from other countries have reinforced tangs specifically to counter that. I'm just kind of baffled by the low price.

It's a good price but not a crazy price. Spanish Mausers are great rifles but they lack the WW1/WW2 tax that German Mausers get, so when I've noticed them they've generally been in the $250-$350 range.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

MadBimber posted:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868562857

this seems quite cheap, do you guys think the "probably arsenal refinished" passes the smell test? That's the only reason I can see nobody touching this thing, really.

Definitely a scrubbed rebuild, probably done post-SCW. Note the replacement serial number with an OT prefix and the visibly dished area where the original serial was ground off. My 7.62 converted M1916 is exactly the same.

MadBimber posted:

here's another for almost same price, it looks great minus the small crack near the tang which is concerning

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868866571

This one also looks like a rebuild to me. Don't read too much into the seller's story about the crest being removed by the republicans.

Frankly I wouldn't get excited about either of these. 7x57 ammo is not cheap or plentiful and scrubbed markings hurt the historical appeal.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

This one also looks like a rebuild to me. Don't read too much into the seller's story about the crest being removed by the republicans.

Lol poo poo I missed this.

Yeah, I'm calling that as questionable. Possible? Potentially, I dunno.

That said, it was pretty common for importers in the 60s-80s to scrub crests. It was considered a good way to unload surplus guns to people who were assumed to be sporterizing them. No one wants some ugly spanish crest on their deer rifle, right?

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

LingcodKilla posted:

So where you at again? Malta?

Aye, going rate is around 1.4k for the better condition ones. Due to external pitting & a working relationship with the store I scored it for less.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

One, more pictures of the Sten.

Two, what are your plans for it?

Three: All the Maxim pictures you have right now please and thank you.

Collecting the Sten tomorrow, police paperwork is done, more pictures then.

Have it look cool. Maybe figure a non-permanent BFA.

Here's some old pics of the Maxim during the years I've had it. I only have a few fuzzy closeups of the details for future reference, it didn't leave the gunsafe often.

LingcodKilla
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

N17R4M posted:

Aye, going rate is around 1.4k for the better condition ones. Due to external pitting & a working relationship with the store I scored it for less.

Collecting the Sten tomorrow, police paperwork is done, more pictures then.

Have it look cool. Maybe figure a non-permanent BFA.

Here's some old pics of the Maxim during the years I've had it. I only have a few fuzzy closeups of the details for future reference, it didn't leave the gunsafe often.

If I make landfall in Malta how many houses do i got to knock on before I find you?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

That said, it was pretty common for importers in the 60s-80s to scrub crests. It was considered a good way to unload surplus guns to people who were assumed to be sporterizing them. No one wants some ugly spanish crest on their deer rifle, right?

AFAIK this scrubbing wasn't done by importers, and it wasn't done on all rifles. Plenty of Spanish Mausers made it into the US with intact crests back in the day, even importer-sporterized ones. Best guess is that the scrubbing was part of a general refurbishment program by the Franco regime: shot out or damaged guns got rebuilt and remarked, then some of the M1916s were bored out to 7.62 NATO, others were rebuilt into FR-7s, etc.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

Definitely a scrubbed rebuild, probably done post-SCW. Note the replacement serial number with an OT prefix and the visibly dished area where the original serial was ground off. My 7.62 converted M1916 is exactly the same.

Frankly I wouldn't get excited about either of these. 7x57 ammo is not cheap or plentiful and scrubbed markings hurt the historical appeal.

thanks for the feedback on this specifically, i don't know a lot about mausers. i don't mind moon rounds too much since i already have some guns i can only appreciate and not fire, but rebuilds, ehh...

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

besides having a lot of money what do i need to do to immigrate to malta?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

AFAIK this scrubbing wasn't done by importers, and it wasn't done on all rifles. Plenty of Spanish Mausers made it into the US with intact crests back in the day, even importer-sporterized ones. Best guess is that the scrubbing was part of a general refurbishment program by the Franco regime: shot out or damaged guns got rebuilt and remarked, then some of the M1916s were bored out to 7.62 NATO, others were rebuilt into FR-7s, etc.

Looking back on my notes it looks like it was common with the major importers in the 60s-80s who brought in South American rifles. Maybe the Spanish rifles were brought in later, brought in through different means, etc. and that it was done by Franco's guys.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I might not have been paying attention but I thought there was little actual shooting of those guns in Malta?

Otherwise my passport is feeling pretty left out lately.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

MadBimber posted:

i don't mind moon rounds too much since i already have some guns i can only appreciate and not fire, but rebuilds, ehh...

Some rebuilds are fine, even desirable. As Cyrano likes to say, context matters. Just look at Finnish Mosins or Israeli and Norwegian Kar98ks.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Looking back on my notes it looks like it was common with the major importers in the 60s-80s who brought in South American rifles.

From what I've seen looking at Argentine Mausers etc., the importers did a pretty slapdash job. Just grind off the crest and ignore the rest, leaving a bare patch on the receiver ring. The Spanish guns in contrast got renumbered and reblued when they were reworked.

To make it even more complicated, there were Latin American countries doing the scrubbed rebuild thing as well. Colombia and Peru for sure, and I want to say Brazil also.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Miso Beno posted:

besides having a lot of money what do i need to do to immigrate to malta?

I don't think they'll accept a death certificate as proof of ID.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

If I make landfall in Malta how many houses do i got to knock on before I find you?

Not too many, feel free to shoot me a PM if you're ever in town, and I'll hook you up with some sweet guns to fondle. However there's a small catch;

mischief posted:

I might not have been paying attention but I thought there was little actual shooting of those guns in Malta?

Otherwise my passport is feeling pretty left out lately.

Yep. We can own em live, we can blank fire em, but not allowed to take them to the range. There was supposed to be some progress made when the National Range was approved, but since it was run by the hunting/skeet shooting clubs, they only built the shotgun bays before mysteriously running out of money or something, so we never got the pistol or 300m rifle bays & didn't have a solid argument to add a new license category at a special built state of the art range.

We very nearly got special approval for automatic fire when Ian was here, however the actual police official that had to approve it was abroad and couldn't sign the paperwork in time. But theoretically there is a 'special circumstances' way to get approval, but we're not pushing our luck with that until we have an other really solid excuse to try it. Also purely theoretically, I think we can put them on our EU Gun Passport, and travel to a country that allows it, such as Czechia or Slovakia. Though no one has tried that yet, and travel isn't much of a thing right now with the rona'.

Enough chatter; more stenposting;

It has the early cocking lever, and lacks the safety upgrade, so it did miss a late/post war refurbishment. The others at the store all had the upgrade.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Oh wow, thatís pretty wild. Stens are so beautifully ugly.

Can you own ammo for them?

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Oh wow, thatís pretty wild. Stens are so beautifully ugly.

Can you own ammo for them?

Ammo is it's own weird thing/grey area. You can own ammo, even without the gun for it (AFAIK), for 'ammo collecting purposes', but need to self-maintain a logbook of it (just like I would for target shooting ammo). However gunstores won't sell modern ammo unless you own the gun for it & have the license to fire the gun.

So, yes I can have live 9x19s for display, even better if they are milsurp (and I do have a few loose rounds in fact), but stores wouldn't sell me modern made ammo for 'collecting' because it's a bit of a grey area. There's a few grey areas overall, but it seems to work.

To answer the question everyone else is thinking; yes in theory you can buy 250 rounds of 9x19, shoot 50 of them at the shooting range with your glock, and mag-dump the other 200 in your friend's abandoned quarry with your smg. No I haven't done it, since I work with firearms for a living, I don't need any legal problems, I'd rather wait for an opportunity to go somewhere else to play with autos, or wait till we can get permissions to do it.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

madeintaipei posted:

I don't think they'll accept a death certificate as proof of ID.

is that why im not allowed on airplanes?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

Miso Beno posted:

is that why im not allowed on airplanes?

That and the public masturbation.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

my kinda ape posted:

That and the public masturbation.

THEY'RE POST-MORTAL EMISSIONS I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THEM

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Hair Elf

Miso Beno posted:

THEY'RE POST-MORTAL EMISSIONS I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THEM

Have you ever had to clean ectoplasm off an airplane seat? It ain't easy.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

my kinda ape posted:

Have you ever had to clean ectoplasm off an airplane seat? It ain't easy.

i leave ectoplasm i dont take ectoplasm

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Quick question on Garands, I went to finally put a sling on mine, and just realized that the front sling mount is mounted to the side, rather then the bottom of the gun. But there is a screw with a spacer through it on the bottom, to move the swivel there if desired.

Is this an Italian modification of some kind, or some parts mishmash going on? I forgot to snap a photo while I had it out, will take one tomorrow.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I dunno what kind of weird garand youíve got but this is what mine looks like.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm really having to fight the urge to give you poo poo about that lamp.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I dunno what kind of weird garand you’ve got but this is what mine looks like.

Same

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm really having to fight the urge to give you poo poo about that lamp.

It's a piece of crap lamp in a room I just use for gun stuff.

I think I paid like ten bucks for it fifteen years ago.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's a piece of crap lamp in a room I just use for gun stuff.

I think I paid like ten bucks for it fifteen years ago.

They're still ten bucks.

It just took me back to the TFR days of cosmoline soaked rifles being posted with feet in the picture.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah wow Cyrano out of focus pic with beige carpet really working it old school lol

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, my swivel is on the side of the gun. Like it's not assembled wrong or anything, it's made like that. It also has space to mount the swivel like that. There's an extra screw slot on mine, if that makes sense?

Why can't I ever end up with a non-weird gun.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

N17R4M posted:

Yeah, my swivel is on the side of the gun. Like it's not assembled wrong or anything, it's made like that. It also has space to mount the swivel like that. There's an extra screw slot on mine, if that makes sense?

Why can't I ever end up with a non-weird gun.

What's the European equivalent to Bubba the home fun-smith? Bauer Willi, heim Büchsenmacher?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Hair Elf

madeintaipei posted:

What's the European equivalent to Bubba the home fun-smith? Bauer Willi, heim Büchsenmacher?

People on twitter were trying to figure out the mid-east equivalent of bubba for awhile but I'm not sure if they ever came up with anything that stuck. Some of those guns in Iraq/Syria/Yemen are wild.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

People on twitter were trying to figure out the mid-east equivalent of bubba for awhile but I'm not sure if they ever came up with anything that stuck. Some of those guns in Iraq/Syria/Yemen are wild.

Not quite middle east, but I imagine they operate something like the fellas on Pakistani truck channel.

Gun-Ghazi, conqueror of the .30 bore.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

There used to be an old joke you'd see on milsurp forums when Turkish mausers were coming in in big numbers due to the rather "creative" repairs some of them had. Yusef the Gunsmith or something like that.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

If it was a mangled part, I'd be inclined to believe it, but it looked clean. Going to take the whole thing apart tomorrow and get a proper look the sling mount.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

N17R4M posted:

If it was a mangled part, I'd be inclined to believe it, but it looked clean. Going to take the whole thing apart tomorrow and get a proper look the sling mount.

Does it look like this? Because this is the sling mount on a BM59, and if the Italians had it for a while it might make sense that it got one of those.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Does it look like this? Because this is the sling mount on a BM59, and if the Italians had it for a while it might make sense that it got one of those.

We have a winner! I can't believe it hadn't occurred to me. That's one more part I'm going to have to get a spare of.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Okay, what are the thread opinions on this rifle. Is it actually a numbers matching 91/30 sniper (with the numbers etched/painted on the scope/receiver... that doesn't look like how the others have, right?), or not?
The screws look like the right screws, and the mount does look old enough. The weird markings all around the rifle may just be a sign of its age/history?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That one of the molot imported Cold War refurbed mosin snipers. Iíve got one. Theyíre good rifles and about as close as youíre getting to a known good ww2 sniper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

I'll watch it closely, then. Good enough for a mod, good enough for me.

e: It kinda looks like, in pic 16, that the front sight is offset to the right like it would be if it were an infantry gun. Maybe not as hilariously offset, but still offset to the right side.

The thing that gets me the most is how the etching on the scope mount is literally worse than etching I do at work with tooling poo poo that the client never sees.

Come on, guys.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 23, 2020

«47 »