Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«47 »
Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

I sold a bunch of old DPD riot carbines. One of my distributors got a bunch in stock and I grabbed them. Really neat guns. I know I had a few Bavarian forestry guns thru the shop, but to whom I sold them has long been lost to the annals of time (and hopefully your bound books).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Doing some more organizing, trying to get a thread together in the next few weeks of all the RAF WWII stuff I have in the house.

Actually found a picture of great grandfather's...unit? Squadron? I have no idea. I'm assuming this is during training from his journals. But I cannot find dick all about the name of the unit or anything detailed. But I can tell you what he had for dinner most days. Journals.

He is the guy in the middle, here -

All I know -

- RAF
- He was D-Day +5
- He was in planes taking pictures, but I'm almost certain not the pilot
- He worked on the gyro jet targeting system in the Spitfire

If anyone can glean anything from this picture, it would be appreciated. But I'm not going to flood this place with a bunch of little posts with a few pictures here and there. I just have a lot of stuff to organize. A lot. This is the first two piles of a metric poo poo ton of stuff.

Edit : Sweet Jesus, I need to get a slide scanner. I've got boxes of those.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Got a name to work with? It would help in the search quite a lot. If you don't want to publicly post it, PM me and I'll see what I can dig up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Grandpa Log is not impressed.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

N17R4M posted:

Got a name to work with? It would help in the search quite a lot. If you don't want to publicly post it, PM me and I'll see what I can dig up.

Frederick Charles Monk. It gets hosed up because his father was in WWI, making the searches more difficult.

Cyrano4747 posted:

He was the most interesting man I never met. I'm proud to wear his pinky ring.

He also took pictures. For fun. Not many people did that during wartime.

Nazi plane got bullet holes like woah.

Edit : One of my main summer goals is making a thread of all this jazz. It sure as gently caress would be interesting to a bunch of war nerds.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hes RAF. He's having the time of his life, he just cant show it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

Hes RAF. He's having the time of his life, he just cant show it.

That's just what it's like to be British.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Captain Log posted:

That's just what it's like to be British.
I had British relatives of the same generation. If they were overjoyed, you might get a half a smirk.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

I had British relatives of the same generation. If they were overjoyed, you might get a half a smirk.

Being raised one half of my life by British immigrants, then the other half by very conservative southern Christians, has almost made me spontaneously combust about twice a day for my whole life. So much conflicting information.

Although my joke about it is, "I know which utensils to use at a fancy dinner and how to clean a shotgun." Sounds better than, "I understand the worst aspects of both religion and atheism, along with possessing a deep self loathing for everything about myself." That doesn't have the same ring to it.

I just don't let people in that my British grandmother was the person who taught me how to clean and disassemble said shotguns.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

One of my neighbours when I was growing up, and who looked after my younger brother and I frequently, grew up in London during the Blitz. Absolutely nothing fazed her at all, and she used to pick dishes out of the oven without the use of a pot holder or a mitt. I used to joke that she got into that habit by snuffing out incendiary bombs during her childhood with her fingertips.

Meanwhile, Mum's family are Scottish (Mac Larens if you go far enough back). And they too live up to the national stereotype-- ferocious tempers with an unequalled capacity for holding grudges. When I was in junior high school, her dad settled a feud with another family that had been simmering for over ninety years.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 30, 2020

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Looks like a Leading Aircraftman rank badge on his upper sleeve, which would tally with having an eagle patch on both shoulders (thatís a sign of a rank below WO). I think the left forearm one is a 3 year good conduct stripe. Anything more in the way of photos? Iíd be happy to look around if I have some time. Feel free to PM me.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Vindolanda posted:

Looks like a Leading Aircraftman rank badge on his upper sleeve, which would tally with having an eagle patch on both shoulders (thatís a sign of a rank below WO). I think the left forearm one is a 3 year good conduct stripe. Anything more in the way of photos? Iíd be happy to look around if I have some time. Feel free to PM me.

I'll be keeping an eye out while I sort them. So far, that's the best representation of him in a proper uniform. Most of his uniforms in the field looked pretty different.

I've got high hopes for when I get everything together in thread form. He died a year before I was born and "commoner" British families don't keep the best oral traditions. Most of what I know about him was stories he told my grandmother, who then told me.

I hate, hate, hate that his "SECRET" marked report talking about UFOs got nabbed from my work desk ages ago. I seriously wouldn't expect anyone to believe me. It had a lot of stuff about Bastogne in it, including the correspondence where the American commander told the Germans, "Nuts." Of any one thing I've ever lost (or had stolen) in my life, I want that document back.

It had the UFOs broken into four subtypes with percentage breakdowns of what was common or rare. The first three were various types of flak. The fourth was, "Wholly Unexplainable Phenomena such as rapid moving lights" and had the bizarre notion of, "less than ten percent of encounters are type four."

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Did any other licensees get a call warning about civil unrest and encouraging firearms secured and thefts reported?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You mean ffl03?

Edit: by licensees j mean.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

You mean ffl03?

Edit: by licensees j mean.

Yeah. Got a robo call from the atf

E-
202-648-9999

DC

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 31, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Huh. I had a weird number from martinsburg WV that I ignored this morning. Maybe that was it.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Huh. I had a weird number from martinsburg WV that I ignored this morning. Maybe that was it.

Yeah. I got that one too in Nova. I also got an email along the same lines as the voicemail.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Yeah. Bunch of old dudes on C&R FB groups were talking about getting calls. Kind of freaky.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

glynnenstein posted:

Yeah. I got that one too in Nova. I also got an email along the same lines as the voicemail.

Oh. Yup. There it is, hadn't checked my email yet today.

ATF.FFL.Alert@usdoj.gov posted:

This is an important message from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Possible civil unrest in our area may result in looting of businesses. The ATF reminds you to remain vigilant and to take appropriate steps to secure both your firearms inventory and your required records. Please report all suspicious persons or activity to your local police department. Additionally, notify ATF at if you find any of your firearms missing, lost or stolen or if you are a victim of an attempted burglary of your business.

Looks like it's an all-FFL blast and is more directed towards the people with storefronts that might get looted.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

I have a FFL03 and I didn't get one

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

I have a FFL03 and I didn't get one

It might also be regional. Like sending it out to people whose addresses are in the general areas where poo poo is going down.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

Haven't gotten anything up here, but I'm pretty far from the danger zones.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Sugartime Jones

I just completed the renewal app, and am in the burbs of Chicago and didn't get one yet.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Detroit suburbs and I didn't get one.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

It might also be regional. Like sending it out to people whose addresses are in the general areas where poo poo is going down.
Might be. There was a curfew here last night. Call was yesterday afternoon.

In other news cheap Speer 303 SPs look like they are going to work for 7.62x54. I need to increase the load but turned in some good groups today.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Here you go. Juicy Fruit. Happy?

More minor than the BIG cities, but we still have scattered looting today in Rochester NY. No calls/emails here.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I'm in Oakland home of stealing new CR-Vs from the Honda dealership and driving Bobcats down the sidewalk and I didnt get one!

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

flightless greeb posted:

I'm in Oakland home of stealing new CR-Vs from the Honda dealership and driving Bobcats down the sidewalk and I didnt get one!

It's a sad day when crossovers are even the choice of thieves! Have some fun!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

So I got a bottle of that Feed 'N Wax for some of my milsurps and something seems to be wrong with it. It does have a lovely citrus scent, but I've had a few swigs from the bottle and none of the finishes on my rifle stocks appear to be more lustrous, nor the wood better nourished. I'll keep working at it and report back.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Fearless posted:

So I got a bottle of that Feed 'N Wax for some of my milsurps and something seems to be wrong with it. It does have a lovely citrus scent, but I've had a few swigs from the bottle and none of the finishes on my rifle stocks appear to be more lustrous, nor the wood better nourished. I'll keep working at it and report back.

Whatever floats your goat and finds your lost pontoon boat. Me, I'm a Hoppe's man. Banana-y goodness, mm-mmm.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Sugartime Jones

Syrian Lannister posted:

I just completed the renewal app, and am in the burbs of Chicago and didn't get one yet.

Just got an alert stating that a store in the county I live in experienced a burglary, and to please ensure the security of both your inventory and property and report suspicious persons or activity to your local department.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cross posting

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

I'm so glad to see that Ian has finally embraced The Weird.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

I HAVE TWO IAN GUNS YAY.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I'd been looking for a 98A over the last month or so, saw some decent ones but wanted to hold out for a better example/better deal, welp as soon as I saw the vid I knew the ones on GB at the time would be quickly snapped up and I'll be paying a a couple hundred more when they show back up. Rad loving rifles.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

That's cool and all but I was legit confounded to learn that Ian doesn't have a Swedish Mauser.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Somebody Awful posted:

That's cool and all but I was legit confounded to learn that Ian doesn't have a Swedish Mauser.

Gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Baltimore suburbs. Got an ATF robocall and email.

«47 »