Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Styles Bitchley posted:

Aw, it's like a Mauser, only smaller! What caliber is that?

7x57mm

I found these crazy half wadcutter, half SP rounds. Should be fun! Soft Point Cutting Edge, as S&B calls it. They cut nice holes in paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hey Cyrano! Paul Mauser was a freak and voyeur who rented the room above James Paris Lee's to spy on him:

From Remington Arms in American History, by Alden Hatch (1956), p. 178-179

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

THOUGH HE HAD A BOIL ON HIS LEG,

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

As an aside thanks to people posting about his recent Chinese stuff in some Taiwan airsoft groups I'm in, I now know that "Gun Jesus" is 槍耶穌 in Mandarin.

In case someone wants to get an inadvisable tattoo or something.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Fearless posted:

Hey Cyrano! Paul Mauser was a freak and voyeur who rented the room above James Paris Lee's to spy on him:

From Remington Arms in American History, by Alden Hatch (1956), p. 178-179

That’s Franz Mauser, a brother of Paul and Wihelm who emigrated to the US in 1853 and worked for Remington. Remington also employed* his nephew, Alfons, who was the second child of Wilhelm. That was only for a couple years in the early 1890s, and he returned to Germany in 1893. During that period he also worked/studied with Pratt & Whitney.

What book is that from? I’d like the citation for my notes. [edit: i'm an idiot, you have it right there, I just didn't see it under the final pic]

*ive seen it referred to as work and “studied”. I suspect it was some kind of internship or technical apprenticeship. He was about 18-20 at the time and returned to Germany to finish his technical education, so it makes sense.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 10, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

As an aside, I suspect the rumor about Franz drilling a hole in the floor and sending Lee's secrets to his brother Paul stems from an insanely acrimonious patent dispute between Lee and Mauser in the 1880s. Well, I say "in the 1880s," the lawsuits dragged on for 12 years.

The short version is that Lee claimed that the box magazine used in the m89 infringed on his patents. The courts found that to not be the case, but it certainly stirred up a huge legal stink.

edit: Franz, not fritz

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 10, 2021

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

As an aside, I suspect the rumor about Fritz drilling a hole in the floor and sending Lee's secrets to his brother Paul stems from an insanely acrimonious patent dispute between Lee and Mauser in the 1880s. Well, I say "in the 1880s," the lawsuits dragged on for 12 years.

The short version is that Lee claimed that the box magazine used in the m89 infringed on his patents. The courts found that to not be the case, but it certainly stirred up a huge legal stink.

The whole "able to make out details of hand-drawn technical drawings from something like 8 feet away squinting through a hole" sounds very "FIFTY BEE EM GEE CAN TEAR YOUR ARMS OFF IF IT GOES BY FIVE FEET AWAY" to me. Mauser apparently had really good eyesight.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

boxen posted:

The whole "able to make out details of hand-drawn technical drawings from something like 8 feet away squinting through a hole" sounds very "FIFTY BEE EM GEE CAN TEAR YOUR ARMS OFF IF IT GOES BY FIVE FEET AWAY" to me. Mauser apparently had really good eyesight.

Behold the wonders of camera obscura, aka pinhole cameras.
I also know a guy who'll sell you a lucky amulet that'll keep your arms intact from nearby fiddies.
He usually sells them wholesale to the army, but he's feeling generous with a one time offer he wants you to have

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

boxen posted:

Mauser apparently had really good eyesight.

Insert semi-auto mauser rifle KB joke here.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Insert semi-auto mauser rifle KB joke here.

It certainly helped him see more clearly that a recoiling barrel was not to be the future for small arms design.
The fact it took 7 more years just meant he was a slow learner.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Speaking of neat Mauser stuff, have a cool cut-away image of how the lifter spoon in a m71/84 works. The short version is that there's a little nubbin on the spoon that gets pushed down by the bolt as it is cycled back. Fired case gets ejected, new round tips up, and gets picked up by the bolt, spoon tips back down when you rotate the bolt handle closed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Just got a phone call out of the blue from the CMP, my number came up and they gave me a choice between a rack and a field grade 1911. Put in for a field, we'll see what I get.

My number was in the mid- 22,000's so I wasn't expecting this for a while. Frankly the timing is a little inopportune but I'll figure it out.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

After many years of sweet talking finally in possession of my grandpa's M1 Carbine. Should look nice next to my Garand. 1943 Inland production with an original Inland barrel and WW2 flat bolt, so psyched to get this thing up and running after some TLC.

Probably would be a good idea to check headspace on it, but out of stock everywhere and I hate the idea of blowing $30 on a 4D rental by the time I pay return shipping and still not being able to keep the gauges (hell it only cost me $40 to rent an entire gd reamer from those guys). Anyone be willing to loan me theirs if I kick in a few bucks your way for shipping?

Deadmeat99
May 18, 2004

Stupid Lurker

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just got a phone call out of the blue from the CMP, my number came up and they gave me a choice between a rack and a field grade 1911. Put in for a field, we'll see what I get.

My number was in the mid- 22,000's so I wasn't expecting this for a while. Frankly the timing is a little inopportune but I'll figure it out.

Mid-22K and they're out of service grade already? This does not bode well for my 27K number.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Deadmeat99 posted:

Mid-22K and they're out of service grade already? This does not bode well for my 27K number.

Don't worry about it. They open a crate, grade them, and once the crate is empty they move onto the next. They ran out of service grades a couple times in round 1 too.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

My understanding is that the grading is also heavily biased towards shooting. Which means you see more of the heavily overhauled ( commercial slides, refinished right before storage, etc) guns in the higher grades. I’ve seen some pics of some beautiful but worn WW2 era guns in the rack grades.

I actually kind of debated getting a rack over a field but decided to just roll the dice on the higher grade and see what I get.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Oh, speaking of 1911s, I made another poor decision (that had been planned since January ish)

Not a CMP gun, I just lent the person I bought it from the case.

It looks to be an almost correct 1914 one. The barrel is a later replacement I can't date, and technically it should have a two-tone magazine with a lanyard loop rather than the later WWI no loop. Also came with some 1943 ball steel cased ammo, 3 mags, and a holster. I'm gonna go image bomb the 1911 thread to see if Beetle or another goon can date more parts.

Edit: Also, the CMP is now apparently out of field grade 1911s, but have more service grades according to the latest post on their forums.

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 14, 2021

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Someone was looking for a Chinese rifle earlier, here's one of the "chang kai shek" rifles. It's pretty rough:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/903042213

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Finished a quick and dirty box thread for a book about British bullpups.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I also did a short box thread about the last gun I'm buying for awhile. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970924

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I also did a short box thread about the last gun I'm buying for awhile. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970924

Well that's sure a thing.

Nobody tell Greeb, I'm pretty sure she'll poo poo herself with either joy or envy.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well that's sure a thing.

Nobody tell Greeb, I'm pretty sure she'll poo poo herself with either joy or envy.

That's amazing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Whelp this happened.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

What's in the box??????

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Yes, yessss. Open the box!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Forget the box, I want to hear more about the unique lube.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Action-Bastard posted:

What's in the box??????

A loving book, what do I look like, a nerd?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

No, but seriously, turns out it had a pistol and some parts that are apparently israeli?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

I am out at my parents' place in the country for the weekend, so I took the Mauser with me and did a quick test to see how it was stabilizing bullets. The target is odd, but it was the only thing I could find sitting around. The groups aren't impressive for 20 yards off hand, which was partly due to me being low key worried about the potential odds of sending a bolt into my face.

This was 173 grain S&B SPCE. The quasi wadcutter design cuts really nice holes. The bottom right hole looks a little off, but I think that was due to the box being tilted back more than with the other shots.

This was 140 grain Federal SPs. It looks like the rifle is stabilizing bullets decently enough, in spite of almost being a smooth bore for the last half inch or so. I bet those long S&B bullets have a decent potential for accuracy out of these old rifles.

The Garand looks nice out in the sun:

Quite dark wood compared to other recent CMP Garands I've seen people get. It's hot out here, so I will wait a bit before shooting it, or wait until tomorrow morning.

Liam Acerbus fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 19, 2021

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

ATF doing some target practice today, I see.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Just the standard issue target for law enforcement across the country.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Ironically, I was at the range today, and some ATF agents were practicing next to me. They got all the free 9 and 40 they wanted. Horse poo poo.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Hey sometimes you can't find obscure materials for targets like a paper plate, cardboard box, etc. and you got to get it on by shooting a dog in the face.

Might need to rebarrel that Garand, looks like it's grouping about 4 MOA*

Minute Of Alpo

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

That wasn't the Garand, it was my Chilean Mauser.

This guy:

(that wood looks good)

As I said, I was more worried about potentially sending a bolt into my face and checking for bullet keyholing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Why were you worried about it throwing a bolt? m95 actions are pretty robust. Not as insane as the m98, but it's not like it's one of the m91s.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Oh, not really for any rational reason other than its age. It even has that third safety lug unlike a lot of its contemporary Mausers.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Last year I was packing for a range trip which, as always, included grabbing a couple of boxes to act as targets. Thankfully I realized as I was absentmindedly putting them in the car, that diaper boxes are not for target practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Looks great LiamA! Uncomfortably laughing at the dog target over here also lol

I can't remember - did the stock have any cartouches on it?