Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Pity about that refinish, I'd love to have one of those some day, but I think I'm gonna buy one of the untouched Nepalese ones as a winter project gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Somebody Awful posted:

This Snider-Enfield has some... interesting stock embellishments.

That stock has been sanded and it sure as gently caress shouldn't have a second cartouche. Mine is a Mk II** with a lockplate also from 1864 and the inletting is far, far cleaner. I'm wondering if this is a Khyber pass arm (or at least parts of it are), or a rifle that spent significant amounts of time overseas (or perhaps was converted there).

The starting price on that thing is equal to the range a Canadian Snider in decent shape would command up here too. That's very expensive for what a buyer would be getting.

Here are some comparison photos of mine:

The cartouche markings (all of them) are really bad-- the do not resemble anything from RSAF and neither line up properly with what I assume is the remnants of the 1 denoting a first-class stock and rifle meant for front line use.

The inletting on the auction rifle is really crude, either because of the relatively low skill of the labour that made it, or because this stock spent quite a bit of time bereft of a lock plate and the edges of the inlet got chewed up as a result.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 29, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Iím seconding the khyber pass thought. That stamping puts off that vibe.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Holy wow, take a look at this M1917 Bayo.

It looks so good Iím not sure I want to trust it. Either that scabbard was hermetically sealed, or 114 year old paint holds up a lot better than I thought.

AFAIK the originals were not painted. However they produced the 1917 bayonet up until Vietnam, which is what that scabbard resembles.

It's almost certainly a replica though. There are no markings to be seen and as you said the condition is too good.

https://www.ww2gear.com/p-12494-bayonet-scabbard-for-m-1917-enfield-bayonet.aspx

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Thermos posted:

AFAIK the originals were not painted. However they produced the 1917 bayonet up until Vietnam, which is what that scabbard resembles.

It's almost certainly a replica though. There are no markings to be seen and as you said the condition is too good.

https://www.ww2gear.com/p-12494-bayonet-scabbard-for-m-1917-enfield-bayonet.aspx

That scabbard isn't like the Vietnam era ones. Those look close to the plastic M1905/M1 scabbards but will be marked 1917. Agree the scabbard is a repro though.

The bayonet itself is garbage tbh. It's been reparked and sharpened. I'd guess the wood looks that good because it's been cleaned and reoiled, but that's just off the cuff.

Here's a M1917 bayonet with a vietnam scabbard if anyone is curious about the difference: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/904012346

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Ty all for the bayo tips.
I really want to get an original bayo, and all the old nice ones do seem to go for 300 and up. Iíll get one eventually.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Fearless posted:

The cartouche markings (all of them) are really bad-- the do not resemble anything from RSAF and neither line up properly with what I assume is the remnants of the 1 denoting a first-class stock and rifle meant for front line use.

They're Khyber Pass as hell, especially the random Cyrillic bits like substituting Б for 6 on both the cartouches and the buttplate. Cleaning rod looks handmade too.

Seen a lot of KP copies on GB and nearly none of them are labeled as such.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Somebody Awful posted:

They're Khyber Pass as hell, especially the random Cyrillic bits like substituting Б for 6 on both the cartouches and the buttplate. Cleaning rod looks handmade too.

The markings on the lock plate, breech and barrel look decent enough though. I think this thing is a bit of a North West Frontier mixmaster.

Not going to lie, when I saw you mention that it had interesting stock embellishments I got in my mind an old Snider that had been carved and personalized by a Mi'kmaw hunter in ages long past and which was really cool. This is interesting in its own way but not at the price being asked for it.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

If it was cheaper or had a better bore I'd take a shot at it, but... yeah.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Somebody Awful posted:

I kind of wish they would be straight up about the KP stuff. I really dig that history, theyíre often a cool mix of OG parts that have been kicking around there since the Victorian era and locally crafted replacements. Such interesting history.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Here's a couple of shots of my Snider from its last range outing. I tend to remove the cleaning rod when I shoot because the muzzle blast has a tendency to drag it forwards and I am just finally getting the damned thing dialled in with a load that it will shoot well but of all my milsurp rifles, I think the Snider is my favourite because of just how odd, ungainly and cantankerous it is.

What really amazes me is how many of these can be had still in reasonably good condition, and how good the machining is on rifles that were made over a century and a half ago.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fearless posted:

but of all my milsurp rifles, I think the Snider is my favourite because of just how odd, ungainly and cantankerous it is.

I feel you there. Half the fun for me is getting old poo poo dialed in and working smoothly.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Terni repair mark from 1923.

The PO means it's a Poldi steel barrel from the Czech Republic/old Austria Hungary. I may shoot it this weekend if I feel like braving the heat.

Dug out my bore scope:

https://i.imgur.com/ApRMixo.gifv

Gain twist!

Apologies to those with slower CPUs, possibly? :ohdear:

Liam Acerbus fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 30, 2021

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

So, I moved. Prior to moving, I sent my C&R change of address form to the ATF. It's been ~2 months, and I haven't heard anything. Should I contact them? Was I supposed to return the original copy of my FFL03 with the change of address form?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Oh yeah absolutely. I have a Marlin 100 that I'm thinking about conserving just to try it out, because it's completely brown, and not worth a ton so if I do screw up I'm not too worried about it.

Mark uses an old water heater tank for his big conservation jobs but has said that for most people a length of gutter with 2 caps on it will do the trick

Mark Novak did a small info update yesterday regarding conservation and rust: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PGkhPkMkKA :)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ZarathustraFollower posted:

So, I moved. Prior to moving, I sent my C&R change of address form to the ATF. It's been ~2 months, and I haven't heard anything. Should I contact them? Was I supposed to return the original copy of my FFL03 with the change of address form?

No to sending the old one. Iíd reach out to them. One time I called about a long overdue license and it had literally fallen behind someoneís desk.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

You are right about arisaka screws being staked in, though. What I will say is that while I normally recommend against un-staking arisaka screws if the staking is still intact, with something like this that is showing active rust you want to be able to see what's going on between the parts and under the wood line.

As for the scabbard, what is it made of?

I got the arisaka disassembled. Itís been taken apart before. The screws came out easy and there was some preexisting damage to the slots and some damage to the magazine cover pin. I only got the butt plate and magazine follower cleaned today.

The bayo is steel with a thick dark finish on it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Just Another Lurker posted:

Mark Novak did a small info update yesterday regarding conservation and rust: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PGkhPkMkKA :)

Oh yeah the brass scraping trick? I'm a patron so I got that one a couple weeks ago, it's a solid trick to know. I'm also considering trying to checker that stock. It's a cheap gun with no real value beyond mild sentimental value, so it'd be a decent practice piece

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

HEY CYRANO BUY THIS GUN!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

:stare:

Man, no loving way that stays halfway affordable.

That's also a really interesting gun. The Mausers tried for years to get a pistol design contract after the m71, and were really, really hoping to land the big Prussian one that ended up going for the Reichsrevolver. Not getting that contract was a huge financial blow and a major setback early in the company's history.

As a result they had to take basically whatever contracts they could get, up to and including a 7800 orders for the pistol that beat them. The period between losing out on the selection for what became the Reichsrevolver in 1878 and landing the Serbian rifle contract in 1880 was seriously loving lean and came pretty close to bankrupting them. I suspect that the contract to make Reichsrevolvers was more or less a bone thrown to keep the doors open, and must have stuck in their craw a bit.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

I love the way the muzzle is designed on those things. Hand cannon!

I did end up being able to test the M91 long rifle this weekend. Kinda briefly since it was unreasonably hot.

It's got about half the recoil of the carbines. Very pleasant to shoot. Unfortunately, half of the undersized PPU ammo keyholed. This will likely be a Steinel/handloads shooter only.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, no loving way that stays halfway affordable.

Probably. :(:hf::(

As a consolation prize, how about a nicer than average 1893 Ottoman?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Wow that's in really good shape for being from the 19th century....

I'm kinda tempted just so I can own something so old in good condition.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Action-Bastard posted:

Wow that's in really good shape for being from the 19th century....

I'm kinda tempted just so I can own something so old in good condition.

My friend, have you heard the Good News about Coins? :derptiel:

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Captain Log posted:

My friend, have you heard the Good News about Coins? :derptiel:

I dunno... the last time I bought a bunch of old coins they were really dirty, didn't look cool at all. So I washed and polished them and then no one wanted to buy them off me afterwards.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Action-Bastard posted:

I dunno... the last time I bought a bunch of old coins they were really dirty, didn't look cool at all. So I washed and polished them and then no one wanted to buy them off me afterwards.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Got to appreciate a revolver with a deeply Arcanum vibe.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

I saw a carcano earlier in here, anybody have opinions on an italian rifle in 7.35? I certainly don't need it but I've been watching this guy slowly drop $25 every week on this rifle and $300 is hard for me to pass up.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/901456565

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MadBimber posted:

I saw a carcano earlier in here, anybody have opinions on an italian rifle in 7.35? I certainly don't need it but I've been watching this guy slowly drop $25 every week on this rifle and $300 is hard for me to pass up.

Never shot one, handled a few. Narrow, handy things.
Anecdotally, the Italians who used them were quite fond. Finish is alright for the price. The stock looks soaked in oil in places, but it's all there.

I don't see any en-bloc clips. It looks like they are between 15 and 25 USD, unless you want to single-load. Steinel made 7.35 last I looked. Unsure what is needed to reload them.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

MadBimber posted:

I have one and I am happy that I do; it's a handy fun rifle. The action isn't the smoothest, the en-bloc clips can be kinda funky, and ammo isn't the easiest to find, but that's noise to me with milsurp. Steinel makes good ammo and it's mostly what I use; buy a bunch of boxes when they make a run of it.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

I literally can't stop buying carbines and stuffing them in my tiny narrow closet. We'll see, if it drops another $25 I'll bid.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MadBimber posted:

I literally can't stop buying carbines and stuffing them in my tiny narrow closet. We'll see, if it drops another $25 I'll bid.

I gotta closet gotta closet full of carbines....

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Is there new production 7.62x45? Atlantic has that cz rifle in stock.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

MadBimber posted:

The 7.35 Carcanos are pretty neat. The M38 is a nice intermediate size between the long-rear end long rifles and the short-rear end carbines.

Ammo will be scarce, with only one good source of modern production (Steinel), but that's fine if you're okay with owning a rifle you'll likely fondle more than shoot. Brass clips are much easier to find now since a bunch came in with the flood of 6.5 Carbines. That M38 looks good enough that I went ahead and dropped a starter bid...

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Someone finally bid on it, and I don't wanna bother with that. Back to looking for other shorties! There's always carcanos floating around anyway. Well, "always" as is the case with milsurp these days.

MadBimber fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 5, 2021

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

MadBimber posted:

Someone finally bid on it, and I don't wanna bother with that. Back to looking for other shorties! There's always carcanos floating around anyway. Well, "always" as is the case with milsurp these days.

If you want a shorty Carcano, the 6.5s will be cheaper at this point and easier to find ammo for than the 7.35s. The Moschetto carbines with the folding spike bayonets are cute.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

You say that like a lever action Lee Enfield wouldn't be rad

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

You say that like a lever action Lee Enfield wouldn't be rad

There is the Winchester 1895 in .303british. It was also produced in 7.62x54 for the Russians. They utilized a box magazine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

On 03/21/21, Somebody Awful posted:

In other news, a month ago I ordered replacement springs for my C96. Got a box last night with one spring and a note saying the rest are backordered for another 4-8 weeks. :rubshands:

The rest of the springs shipped today. Wolff must be extra slammed by Covid.