Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

McNally posted:

My recollection of the story goes like this:

Goon is cleaning his carbine, decides to put a patch in the loop of the boresnake for extra cleaning power.

It gets stuck real good.

Goon asks advice, another goon completely misunderstands and says "push it out with a pencil," assuming they were talking about a pistol.

That was Cyrano, wasn't it? Didn't it get up to five or six pencils stuck in it?

I remember photos with feet in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

drizzle posted:

Any pro tips on making it easier to pull the bolt on my mosin back after firing? Cycles fine with blanks and whatnot but it's pretty difficult to pull back to eject the casing after firing. Just clean the poo poo out of it some more?

I'm sorry. It's been almost a decade since I've seen that joke in the forums. I'll let someone useful say useful things now. :downs:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

What is a Boyd stock?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Beardless posted:

Boyds is a stock maker, a lot of CMP Garands come with reproduction stocks made by them.

So a Boyd's is a repro? Is that type of stock value adding or decreasing?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

It looks like I found some pictures from 2008 from the only goldmined thread I ever had...

I might need to make that thread again. These are my best buddies grandfather's captured items. But I've got to find the rest of the pictures.

Family legend was he had this shoulder holster for the captured Luger made for combat.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Now I want to know what happens when you take apart a Luger. :downs:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Itís not high on my priority list, but I do eventually want a blowback airsoft Luger.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Action-Bastard posted:

I'm really hoping someone some day can recreate the C96 in .22 or something so I don't have to drop $800 on a clapped out antique or get an airsoft version.

Oh hey speaking of check out this C96 with zero bids, huh wonder why :v:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/847493224

I have a blowback broomhandle BB gun. :downs:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Thank God it can shoot out to one thousand yards! Or meters! Or whatever!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Ardemia posted:

PSA has heavily cosmolined chinese type 56 SKS rifles for 350 right now. What are the thread's thoughts on this as a starting milsurp rifle?

Its either 350 on that or 400 for a CETME C parts kit for my receiver.

Relevant edit: shot an SKS with that wacky TAPCO stock with the big mag. Other than the TAPCO nonsense, I liked how it shot.

Tons of people here will help you out with cleaning tips, but be warned - those fuckers are cosmoline drenched. My SKS from over a decade ago stained my loving carpet.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Looks like that fella has a might bad case of the old Dick Bone.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

These books look well enough done that I'd imagine they will grow in value down the road. Ian isn't going anywhere and his legend grows.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

That's the most adorably happy rifle shooting stance I've ever seen.

When I was in single digits, I'm sure I had a look of terror rather than glee.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's not a child :ssh:

I really need to stop commenting on things when I only see the picture on my shattered phone's screen.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

DeesGrandpa posted:

Yeaaaah...that's a 24 year old at the time of the pic. I really like that pic, she was/(is I hope) a pretty cool person but very much not into guns, which is why I brought out the carbine. It's physically quite small which is great for shooters of smaller stature, it's got enough recoil and muzzle climb to feel like you're shooting something cool, but nowhere near enough to be painful or disorienting. If you've got a new shooter and an M1 carbine and you're not making that the combo you're loving up.

Well, regardless of the age she looks like she is enjoying herself.

It's impossible not to love the "ping" noise at the end of eight shots, too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

my kinda ape posted:

The M1 Carbine doesn't ping at the end of a mag, as far as I know. The M1 Garand does.

Aww, dangit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

That rifle cost an extra $400?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Have you thought about contacting them? I understand being ok with keeping the gun. But it sure seems like they should do something to make it right. That gun look rough and Iíd wonder if you got the correct one.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I feel like they should give back your $400. But what I feel vs. what will happen could be two very different things.

Personally, Iíd send them your pictures and ask for an explanation. Again, thatís just me. You do you.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

How y'all surf Gunbroker anyways? I've been wandering around looking at French poo poo and I just start punching in like 'Lebel' or 'mle' or 'mas' 'french' 'france'. Sometimes calibers, sometimes model year numbers.

The filters kind of suck.

Kinda wanna buy this: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867222066 because I'm dumb as shitttt

That safety sure is a thing. :stare:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Somebody Awful posted:

Fun fact: that safety is what it is because both the gun and the company that made it are directly descended from Spanish outfits cranking out a bazillion Ruby pistols for France during WWI.

Oh no poo poo? That's what I couldn't place when I was looking at it.

DeesGrandpa posted:

The damage is done, I was considering it for a similar project myself. Yeah I'd rather have a legit unmolested model but that'd be a fun camp rifle at least.

That would be a fun "Triple up on ear pro" gun.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Thermos posted:

Hey guys I got this in a old box of slings and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about german belt buckles can tell me about it.

I assume the fact that it has english means its fake but I don't know poo poo about them! It looks old as balls though so could maybe be from around WW2?

That etching looks like a home job. That's all I got.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Somebody Awful posted:

Is there anything that actually points to it being German? Those are left-facing swastikas, like you'd see on a Buddhist temple or a Chinese Mauser.

That thought crossed my mind. Nazi swastikas were always supposed to be "turning" too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

mikerock posted:

This came in the mail today from Powells, who shipped the book and refunded my money. I tried to contact them but got no response. Thanks for the free book, the fact that it is a pre-run limited edition with a signed title page is icing on the cake! I didn't think it was coming so I ordered another copy from another retailer. I'll be donating one of them to my museum's technical library.

I think Dick Smith is a title not a name.

:stare: For free? It's a shame it's a gift inscription. Still one hell of a score.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

gently caress that then, I'll go with credit cards forever.

Anyways, I'm bored and winding down for sleep so I'm loving around on gunbroker more.

Anyone want a Nambu? Here's one going in 40 minutes, and it's sitting at 430 dollars. I know somebody wants one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866779446

I'm glad that has bids, or I'd go for it.

I'm a sucker for weird pistols. But at the rate I collect guns, "Milsurp Oddball Collecting" is probably a few years away for me.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Y'all collectors should be snatching up these nice editions. They are going to grow their value and make awesome grandkid gifts.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

MadBimber posted:

thats been my milsurp collecting ever since i got tired of mosins. i have 3-4 guns i basically can't shoot sans reloading and I'm showing no signs of stopping!

oh man whenever that avtomat gun comes up I'll be slamming the buy button immediately. Russian firearms are basically the only giant hole in forgotten weapon's coverage over the years.

yeah I'd wanted one ever since i saw one online some years ago. something about the dopey front end really appeals to me. I'll be taking it apart either this week or next to do some cleaning, we'll see how it looks with some cleaner metal / BLO'd wood.

There is a weird as hell .32 semiautomatic WWII Webley at the shop I'm picking a gun up from on Tuesday. There is a very real chance I'l walk away with that stupid gun.

It is also about half the price I see it listed at any auctions. The collector in me can't ignore some good old fake value.

Edit : One of these!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webley_Self-Loading_Pistol

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Just went to my local gun shop and they had a chromed HiPower with Nazi markings and a chromed P38 with the same.

I'd never seen chromed war guns before. The owner said he hesitates to sell Nazi marked stuff because it, "Brings in people he doesn't want to deal with" but he admits to having a soft spot for oddball milsurp.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm not going to get them, just hadn't seen them like that before. Also hadn't seen a Nazi HiPower, but I've never really looked.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

A Nazi power should just be called a WHiPower.

:hmmyes:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Speaking of the military stuff, the Webley self loading pistol in .32 for $350 sold before I could get it. I was excited about that one. It was so beautifully hideous.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

:stare:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

DkHelmet posted:

Theyíre fun.

So they have a fold out stock? Or is that a brace for the "handicapped?"

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

That's way less awesome.

Unless the actual PPshs are that price too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Stravag posted:

Depends do you like red bandanas or blue?

Bs up Cs down, yung blood! Suwoop!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Oh wow, thatís pretty wild. Stens are so beautifully ugly.

Can you own ammo for them?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

I dunno what kind of weird garand youíve got but this is what mine looks like.

I'm really having to fight the urge to give you poo poo about that lamp.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's a piece of crap lamp in a room I just use for gun stuff.

I think I paid like ten bucks for it fifteen years ago.

They're still ten bucks. :downs:

It just took me back to the TFR days of cosmoline soaked rifles being posted with feet in the picture.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The best way to "Do Ebay" is to save your important searches. I manually check them nightly and have email notifications turned on for the important ones. It only takes five or ten minutes and has netted me some loving amazing deals on are poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cross posting some old WWII documents
Did some spring cleaning today and found some interesting stuff. This is a big intelligence report from my great grandfather's days in RAF Intelligence. Most of the reports I have aren't bound. They're just a few pages stapled together marked, "SECRET."

I thought you folks might enjoy this. I'll save quality pictures for whenever I make a thread for all this stuff.

Cover -

Fold out maps!

Pages of detailed reports -