Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

is there a consensus on royal tiger? they have a karabiner 88 that I'd kinda like to pick up. seems a bit pricey but getting to avoid FFL while all non-essentials are closed would be cool, I've wanted one for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Action-Bastard posted:

So I dont know all the stories or the full details, but I didn't want to leave you hanging.

So the first story happened quite a few years ago. A TFR regular ordered a Belgian Hi-Power from Royal Tiger. I think condition was rated as very good - good with an accompanying example pic. Well the goon gets the gun in hand and theres very obvious pitting on it, not as advertised. So he contacts Royal Tiger to get it worked out... and he gets the runaround followed by complete silence. He ends up having to dispute the charges with his bank.

Then not as long ago another goon ordered an SKS from them and it's the exact same story. Condition much worse than advertised and complete silence from the company to get it sorted.

These are totally anecdotal and I'm working off of memory from years old posts but that's my story on Royal Tiger.

I appreciate the feedback anyway. The fact that Ian seemed to be endorsing them has me interested but I tend to trust tfr over all. I shot them an email to ask for photos under the barrel jacket, we'll see if anything comes of it.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

for what it's worth JG sales has a shitload of C&R firearms currently, way more than when I checked last. admittedly that was probably 6-8 months ago. Even some P14 Enfields on sale which are really weird to see outside of an auction.

+ a wacky franken arisaka with an M1 rear sight https://www.jgsales.com/japanese-arisaka-38-bolt-action-carbine,-6.5x50,-koishikawa,-g-vg,-c-r,-used.-p-102234.html(???)

MadBimber fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 10, 2020

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

mosins aren't cheap anymore :(

$379 / mos

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Fearless posted:

and the front-stuffers that preceded them...

never heard that phrase before but will now be my go to for muzzleloaders

since I lack a C&R and all the FFLs around me are closed for pandemic, I'm kinda hosed out of buying C&R guns yeah? kar 88 was at least an antique and could be shipped anywhere

MadBimber fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 11, 2020

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

flightless greeb posted:

Which one? I missed out on the Kreigsmodell K98k book and they're out of print now and I don't even give a poo poo about Kreigsmodells at all but I have the other 3 books so it's pissing me off!! lol

Edit: also yeah I dont really give a hoot about British bull-pups since it's not a type of gun I'm ever going to own or likely even handle. That said, the book itself just looks so cool and if they keep this up I'd love to have a shelf of these similarly designed books one day! I really want a Ross book out of them in this style or maybe Canadian small arms would be more on point since it seems like they're generally covering longer time periods.

tbh I don't care so much about bullpups either, although I appreciate that prototypes will be covered which I found sorely lacking in Ian's book. For the foreseeable future I'm just going to pledge to their kickstarters because I'd really like to see headstamp make it big and become "a thing" if not "the thing" when it comes to firearms publishing.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

McNally posted:

Carbine chat!

hows the action on this thing? ian/InRange were not fans of the spencer aaaaat alllllll

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

I could barely tell the difference between my yugo and some sporterized 1903 action rifle my grandpa had. The yugo was a little longer and a little heavier so it's not exactly the same but :shrug:

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

i thought the OP used to have a cleaning guide for recently purchased milsurp, did that die off when the new thread was started?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

have y'all moved away from using tung oil? i seem to recall it coming up when people talked about using BLO and that one wax.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think it's still used for USGI surplus by some people.

Both it and blo are only correct for certain guns. Don’t go slathering it on a Mauser or what have you.

Righto. I was thinking of only using BLO but recalled that tung was mentioned in the past.

Followed all your recommendations to try GB rather than royal tiger, found a nice little k88 for sale. It was $750 which is probably a bit high but I'm really happy with it so far. It was made in 1890 by Haenel making it not quite my oldest firearm but definitely august. The action feels good and I suspect will improve with cleaning. I haven't looked inside the barrel jacket yet so fingers crossed it isn't horrifically rusty. It came with a sling, no idea what make or when.

Here's a sad cellphone pic:

I can't get over how tiny it is! An inch shorter and a pound lighter than an M38 Mosin. I can only imagine it will be fun but unpleasant.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

made a lil box thread in case you wanted to see more of the k88. trying to find some instructions on proper disassembly. it looks like it'll be similar to any old mauser but i'd hate to scratch something up or bust it on a bad assumption.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

DrPop posted:

I've been after a Sestroryetsk for 10+ years and finally got one. Here are some lovely phone pics, hope to take better ones later

sup pre 1900 buddy :hfive:

love the tiger wood stock

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

do you guys have any opinions on Swiss K11 derivatives, or Swedish mausers? I think I've caught a carbine bug and I'm seeing some interesting rifles on GB.

A shortened Swedish Mauser in the four hundy range:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867375503

Several Swiss Model 1911s in the same price range:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/864875685

The Swiss 1911 seems pretty similar to a K31 but not quite as popular or pricy.

Finding ammo for both shouldn't be too bad although not cheap. Thoughts?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Groda posted:

That's literally a lengthened Swedish Mauser.

:crossarms:

Isn't the Swdish Mauser something standard like 48"-50"? That looks shorter than a usual pre-WW1 rifle.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm a sucker for weird pistols. But at the rate I collect guns, "Milsurp Oddball Collecting" is probably a few years away for me.

thats been my milsurp collecting ever since i got tired of mosins. i have 3-4 guns i basically can't shoot sans reloading and I'm showing no signs of stopping!

Jehde posted:

Well, I implied the non-Ian offering that seems to be next on the platter: Max Popenker's chronology of automatic Russian rifles.

Ian's endeavours in Chinese rifles interest me too, that Max AK book though.

oh man whenever that avtomat gun comes up I'll be slamming the buy button immediately. Russian firearms are basically the only giant hole in forgotten weapon's coverage over the years.

mikerock posted:

I am intensely jealous. I lust for a K88.

yeah I'd wanted one ever since i saw one online some years ago. something about the dopey front end really appeals to me. I'll be taking it apart either this week or next to do some cleaning, we'll see how it looks with some cleaner metal / BLO'd wood.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I wouldn’t BLO that k88. It’s too nice a rifle foru that. Get a bottle of Howard’s feed n wax.

in truth i had planned on doing both, 1-2 thin BLO and 1-2 thin howard's. i can skip the BLO though

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah I’d skip the blo.

to the vetterli it will go then, whenever i get around to THAT old rifle

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

anybody know what a good ole TT33 Tokarev goes for these days? gunbroker and its ease has infected me with a sickness

poo poo there are a LOT of cool pistols for sale. my webley could probably use a buddy

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

westinghouse mosin for what is, currently, pretty affordable:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867825883

quite a few nice pieces from that vendor currently.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hey is this the thread we were talking about chromed milsurp in?

Because have a chromed g/k43

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/861783979

(That the seller wants WAY too much for)

gently caress

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

anybody ever handled one of these little .32 savages?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867550461

it's a weird little thing that can shoot normal, non-moon rounds. i suspect i could find one at a gunshow but who knows when those will be opening again.

That westinghouse mosin is still under $500...

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

it's still sub $500 and cursory google searches show they have from time to time gone for $1000 or more. If you hang onto it for a while it *could* be an investment of a sort but more likely it's just a neat and more rare mosin.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm watching that auction but I'll be amazed if it stays at sub-500 in the last fifteen minutes.

same. I'm thinking of throwing a bid on the chilean mauser that's still around $350 and then lust after the westinghouse when it hits $899.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

TFR BIDDING WAR, COMING TO YOU TONIGHT LIVE FROM THE THUNDERDOME

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Also holy poo poo too rich for my blood.

:munch:

yeeeup. i threw on a bid after $500 but it's too high now. Although not as high as I expected?

Chilean Mauser also too high, was hoping for a cheap mauser but not today :(

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867561139

Decent looking Mosin still at a reasonable price if anyone's looking. Hour left.

if i didn't already have an m91/30 i'd think about that, hex receiver too

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868562857

this seems quite cheap, do you guys think the "probably arsenal refinished" passes the smell test? That's the only reason I can see nobody touching this thing, really.

here's another for almost same price, it looks great minus the small crack near the tang which is concerning

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868866571

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

yeah I was under the impression that a crack there would be somewhat common, i know some rifles from other countries have reinforced tangs specifically to counter that. I'm just kind of baffled by the low price.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

Definitely a scrubbed rebuild, probably done post-SCW. Note the replacement serial number with an OT prefix and the visibly dished area where the original serial was ground off. My 7.62 converted M1916 is exactly the same.

This one also looks like a rebuild to me. Don't read too much into the seller's story about the crest being removed by the republicans.

Frankly I wouldn't get excited about either of these. 7x57 ammo is not cheap or plentiful and scrubbed markings hurt the historical appeal.

thanks for the feedback on this specifically, i don't know a lot about mausers. i don't mind moon rounds too much since i already have some guns i can only appreciate and not fire, but rebuilds, ehh...

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Royal Tiger got in some cheap Chassepots if anyone else gives a drat about French rifles.

If I hadn't just bought a rifle I can actually shoot I'd consider it.

uuuuugh I don't need one at all, but...

edit: LOL add $250 for a rear sight, no thanks

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

those are cool as poo poo, especially the last page. my grandpa was apparently intelligence in africa, i always wished we could get some more info about his work

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

That's cool and all but I was legit confounded to learn that Ian doesn't have a Swedish Mauser.

what are peoples' thoughts on swede mausers anyway? still a secret hotness?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

i was kinda looking between swiss k11/k31 and swedish mausers and having difficulty deciding which i'd rather have. a straight pull that isn't a piece of poo poo like my m95 would be cool but a swedish mauser might be cheaper and have more plentiful ammo.

mikerock posted:

I wish I hadn't sold my m/41b.

Crosspost:

nice lewis! have one of the massive 97 round pans?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

goddamn the bluing on that, it practically looks like a mirror

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Super 3 posted:

Stop posting here and go buy one.

i spent all my fun money on other firearms though :negative:

i'll post em in a couple days!

also, something i don't think i've ever seen for sale, a tanegashima!
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/869173565

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

MadBimber posted:

i spent all my fun money on other firearms though :negative:

i'll post em in a couple days!

what have we here?

a heel release :(

a mauser? From Oberndorf?

Yessiree, from back when men were men and triggers had nitride on them!

little crack in the grip on the right side, but otherwise pretty much spotless

small gun fits small man hands

artsy fartsy for you photographers

A Mauser pocket pistol model 1914, in .32ACP. I just picked up some ammo from a couple manufacturers from cheaper than dirt, we'll see how they feed. the gun is a bit top heavy and the spring is strong so I'd expect recoil to be light. Photos ended up bluer than they were on my phone so keep in mind the finish is not so lustrous, though the trigger does retain some of the nitre bluing. It's a fun little cutie :3:

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

haha! Hey mauser pocket pistol buddy!

I've got one of the .25 ACP versions in a similar condition. They're fun little pistols.

have you fired it much? For it's size it's a bit of a chonk but, 100 year old gun.. always a little concerning to shoot. I picked up some slightly hotter 1,000FPS ammo to see what that's like. The bore looks practically pristine.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

They were designed to be what we would call pocket guns today. As a group they were actually colloquially known as "Taschenpistole" and some of the smaller ones were intentionally sized to be able to fit in a vest pocket.

I wondered where DICE got the name for BF1 since this pistol is part of the armory. I was very disappointed to learn the button on the left isn't a mag release but a safety. Heel releases are the worst :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

not black enough posted:

Watching the forgotten weapons “Adventures in Surplus” series has made me really want to get in on the wooden action. The only old gun I have is my ONG 870 and I need more. Where do you guys look for good surplus buys?

as previously mentioned, gunbroker and pawn shops. now that gunshows may start up again with shelter in place being lifted in some places, that's another option. additionally, gun shops themselves sometimes have good deals on surplus, though usually you aren't gonna get a deal.

Miso Beno posted:

I kind of want to start looking for a Steyr M95. Talk me out of it.

imagine a mosin sticky bolt without any of the leverage of being able to turn the bolt. then imagine that every single shot. with hard to find clips that turn your gun into a single shot repeater if you don't have one.