Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Fearless posted:

Wasn't it an oversized or cheap boresnake that got stuck first, then pencils and other crap to try and clear the blockage?

My recollection of the story goes like this:

Goon is cleaning his carbine, decides to put a patch in the loop of the boresnake for extra cleaning power.

It gets stuck real good.

Goon asks advice, another goon completely misunderstands and says "push it out with a pencil," assuming they were talking about a pistol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Pretty sure it was paramemetic

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Wifi Toilet posted:

Wow, less than a month! Got my C&R in the mail yesterday (just in time for the Rock Island auction this week, oh god) so tell me how to use it.

I know about the bound book and have downloaded some templates, but I've seen posts elsewhere saying not to sign the license and to make copies of it then sign the copies to mail out. That doesn't sound right to me, I'm thinking I need to sign the original and photocopies of that should be acceptable to mail out. I think some sellers even accept emailed pictures of the C&R?

What info do I need to get from the seller? It looks like I only need to enter an FFL or driver's license if I sell something, so if I'm the buyer I just need a name and address of the seller correct?

If you're going to be sending a physical copy of your license, it needs a real signature and can't be a copy. Don't sign the original, sign the copies.

What I did was I made a copy, signed the copy, scanned the signed copy, then used that for anything where a .pdf was fine. Every now and then, though, you run into someone who wants a physical copy.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

This GB account is a goldmine of alternate spelling.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858572924

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Cyrano4747 posted:

“OLD WAR HOURSE”

Of corse, of corse

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Is there a reputable brand for reproduction bayonets?

Ehhh. Depends on what you're looking for. The more common repro bayonets are made for things you could find an original for at a comparable price. The really weird poo poo tends not to get repros made for them.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

gently caress you McNally don't do this here

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

McNally posted:

gently caress you McNally don't do this here

Don't loving edit my posts you rear end in a top hat

JOHN HAS A LONG MUSTACHE

JOHN HAS A LONG MUSTACHE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

mischief posted:

Maybe some IL dorks can check in. I bought a Savage Model 19 from an auction house in Union, IL.

They asked for an FFL, scanned them a PDF of the last time I signed my C&R. State level stuff shouldn't supersede the FFL should it? This thing was last made in 1932.

According to the auction house..

"This Firearm is not eligible for a CNR License. We need a Current FFL. Illinois rules
are very strict. I am sorry for the inconvenience."

Before anyone else chimes in, it's worth pointing out that regardless of reality the auction house may very well refuse to do anything other than their own thing as a CYA issue.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Big_Gulps_Huh posted:

I've got a newly developed obsession with the SMLE and I'm wondering if its a terrible idea to get one from gunbroker? I've never bought a gun remotely and it seems sketchy as hell to me, especially when purchasing something so old... what do ya'll think?

There are people here who will tell you that it's a terrible, terrible idea.

But that Gunbroker is fine.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Congrats man, I'm sure you'll love it.

The guns that I've gotten the most satisfaction out of are the ones that I wanted for one particular little dumb reason. Like, I recently got one that I'd wanted for years just because of how the gun company wrote their name on the top of it. And I love the dumb thing.

Springfield Aromry?

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Carbine chat!

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Beardless posted:

I noticed something unusual about my M1 Carbine barrel today. There's no manufacturer's mark, though there is a US ordnance grande mark on the gas block. However, I was looking at the barrel, and it appear to have, either a sleeve or some kind of two-piece barrel assembly? There's a groove around the barrel, and it's ever so slightly offset. has anyone ever seen anything like this on an M1 Carbine before? The receiver is an Underwood, made in late 1942 or early 1943, but it does have a later-style barrel band and rear sight. Is it possible that this was an arsenal repair of some kind?

I found this on uscarbine30cal.com

quote:

Gas cylinders were manufactured by one of two methods. The gas cylinder was machined integral with the barrel (top) or machined as a separate part then compressed (swaged) onto the barrel (bottom).

It doesn't look exactly like yours, but it might be something along those lines.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

MadBimber posted:

hows the action on this thing? ian/InRange were not fans of the spencer aaaaat alllllll

I'm not sure if it's the action, the snap caps, my specific Spencer, or some combination of these factors but it's a little finicky and prone to jams.

I can see how the hammer being a separate action can be a sticking point, too.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

I used to have a thread where I'd post the daily Numrich free shipping code, before they stopped doing that.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Who likes milsurp?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921614

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

You can get a filthy Nepalese Gahendra for $400.

Coincidentally, guess what I'm going to be posting about today?

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdjulia/item/51957-23-397/

Again, I am made of meat and not dollar bills.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

This one checks all the boxes: Known Confederate provenance, intact optics, etc. That's why it went for so much.

I have no interest in Confederate guns.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Thermos posted:

Thanks. No idea. I bought a piece of walnut and grafted it on then carved it to shape and stained it. Quarantine has been good for something I guess :v:

So if I were to, say, send you the ruined remains of a Gahendra stock...?

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Fearless posted:

That could work. I seem to recall that Martini Metfords and Enfields had barrels with external dimensions similar to the Martini Henry rifles (essentially, they only differed in bore diameter and chamber dimensions), and the Gahendra is a copy of the latter. There are two main issues: first of all, Gahendras are all hand fitted guns and not parts interchangeable so some fitting will likely be required to account for this. Second, the Gahendra is a copy of a Mk II Martini and so its forestock attaches by way of steel pins-- in Mk III/IV Henrys, and Martini Metfords/Enfields, the forestock is held in place by the barrel bands and a metal tang that hooks into the receiver from the forestock. This definitely will require fitting to a Gahendra stock. All that being said, it is certainly doable.

Thermos, you've done a splendid job!

I meant more like "could you fix it"

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Fearless posted:

Oh. What's wrong with it?

Everything.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921855

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Roundboy posted:

Don't we still have an exchange thread someone can send you a set that you mail back after?

That reminds me, anyone know where my .303 headspace gauges are?

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Beardless posted:

Could you clarify this? You seem to contradict yourself here.

A new rifle shouldn't close on the NOGO gauge. The FIELD gauge is for old guns: Technically it's out of spec for a new gun, but as long as it closes on the FIELD gauge it's still be safe to fire because it's within "eventually the gun wears out" tolerances.

A probably wrong way to look at it is to think of the NOGO gauge as giving it room to wear in the future.

Super 3 posted:

I think I have them.

edit. I have a goon sent set of 303 gauges are they yours maybe? For a while I was posting in here every so often as a heads up I have them if someone needs.

edit 2. Infrared35 sent them to me.

That's who I sent mine to. Okay, just checking. I wasn't sure if they were just floating around the ether or something.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

"Unsafe." Better send them to me.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

In November I'm going to the Cosmosphere museum in Kansas to meet Jim Lovell and Fred Haise. In preparation for the event, I decided I needed a first edition of Lost Moon for them to sign.

I couldn't use my own first edition, it has an inscription to someone from their aunt for Hanukkah in it.

So I ordered off Amazon for five bucks so I'd have one for Jim Lovell to sign.

poo poo, he beat me to it.

Anyway, that's the story of why I own three copies of Lost Moon.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Fearless posted:

Picked up a Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1 almost a month ago and it finally arrived after being held up for a couple of weeks by Canada Post's delivery system groaning under the weight of Christmas package volume being sustained over the course of almost four months. These have come up in price quite substantially over the past few years and I think the recent changes to Canadian gun laws have also spooked quite a few people into seeking them out as well. Plus, as Cyrano has said before, "they're not making any more of them" so when a rather nice mid-war production example came available I decided to pull the trigger. The rifle is all-matching and was made at Fazakerley in June of 1943 and it shows-- there are plenty of tool marks visible on the receiver, but even so the bolt runs buttery smooth. There are the expected nicks and dings in the wood, but overall the stock is in very good shape with the grain still showing clearly though the darkened oil finish.

In addition to this, I also made a point a while back of finding a bayonet for my Snider Enfield Mk II**. I've got the line infantry version, and with the bayonet fixed, it is nearly as long as I am tall.

So now I am fully capable of defending the homestead against the Fenian Brotherhood!

lol I actually reenacted a Fenian Raid in 2016 for the 150th of the Battle of Ridgeway

The reason so many Fenians were apprehended on the Canadian side of the border was due to having to declare black powder at customs.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Cyrano4747 posted:

I just want to note that it isn't technically mine. I've forgotten who handed it off to me first at this point, but it was another goon who just said to keep it and pass it around TFR. All I've got invested in it is some postage.

But it would be nice if it kept circulating around TFR. I know we've got some new carbine owners in here.

I'd be curious to see how long that thing lasts before it just stops working right because its prongs get bent all to hell. I bought it for cheap like 11 years ago.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

This counts as milsurp, right?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933838

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Garand slap 4 lyfe

Also: https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-british-royal-navy-nock-seven-barrel-flintlock-volley-gun-circa-1780-in-excellent-condition

Hnngggghhh

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Today's been 'productive' - I detail stripped 2 of my garands minus the bolts as I don't have the tools for that. Found a depressing amount of surface rust on 1 of them, but at least I was able to remove most of it. Its got some heavy pitting on a few parts though. Right now the parts are draining penetrating oil, and I'll leave them like that probably overnight. Tomorrow I gotta finish cleaning the receivers and barrels, then begin rebuilding them. Then the other 4 rifles...

It's been a while since I've done it, but if I remember right you don't need a tool to strip the Garand bolt.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Prof. Banks posted:

Quick question. I've got a Remington 1858 New Model Army that I'd like to shoot. It's supposedly .44 cal, so I bought some .433 bullets for it. I just got one out to mess with and it's a bit small. It's close to the right size in that it completely fills the barrel, but it will literally roll straight through the barrel. I'm guessing that I need to locate some bullets that will actually engage the rifling it I want to hit something more than five feet away. I see now that there are several sizes of ".44 caliber" bullet. Is there a way to figure out exactly what size bullet I need? I didn't get a manual for it and they haven't been made since the 80's as far as I can tell.

You actually need something slightly larger than the cylinder. The ramming arm will shave off a little ring of lead when you load.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Prof. Banks posted:

I'm going to buy another bunch of bullets and hope they're the right size this time. Any telltale signs that I've bought something too big? The other ".44 cal" bullets that midway has are .451 and .454, so not much of a difference, but I'd like to not explode my gun due to ignorance of how BP stuff works.

I'm like 90% sure that Navy Arms is a rebranded Pietta.

Anyway, recommended load for Navy Arms and/or Pietta is 22 grains 3Fg powder with a .454 ball

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Cyrano4747 posted:

New mcnally milsurp thread for all of you filthy bookmark only browsers: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942038

The McNally Milsurp Missive could be a spinoff project.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Somebody Awful posted:

I just blew a hundred bucks on a book about Paul Mauser. :feelsgood:

Fuckin' gun books.

I'm pretty sure the books on the table cost $musket when put all together.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

I just read a horror story on Facebook about a gun shop spraying down its inventory with disinfectant due to the pandemic only to end up promoting rust on a bunch of milsurp

on consignment

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Nice!

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

stealie72 posted:

Hmm, its not McNally. His virus is spreading.

Man, I hope I go viral.

(I'm working on a YouTube channel)

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Editing video can suck a dick.

I'm slowly cobbling together my first Musket Missive episode and I recorded it in three chunks: Two eight minute chunks and a 19 minute chunk.

I've finally edited together the two eight minute chunks and successfully salvaged six and a half minutes of usable footage from that.

I sure hope I get at least ten minutes out of the 19 minute chunk otherwise this video is going to be embarrassingly short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Do you like muskets?

I managed about ten and a half minutes, the video is exporting now.

Holy poo poo, I think I did it.

Episode one is probably going up this evening.