Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Somebody Awful posted:

If that's unfired, I've got a bridge to sell you.

I bet running a patch down the barrel would tell you real quick :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Capn Beeb posted:

Any of y'all wanna give me a quick rundown on why Classic is a gently caress? Seen some folks looking at their deals and all I know is Do Not Give Them Money, but I don't know the why.

IIRC they sell guns that are in much worse condition than their stated grade, so people paying extra for a nicer gun end up getting a lovely one. They also cancel orders and relist guns at a higher price when something is selling super well. Generally poor customer service in relation to these things and others I think. Also the guy who owns the place is disliked for various reasons that I cannot remember. I think under previous ownership they were pretty well-respected and they got sold and the current owner/management sucks?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Forgotten Weapons did a video about some amazing looking ones with intricate gold decorative work done all over them. That was the first time I've seen them.

Edit: Nevermind those were a different model. I'd say it's probably because they look like a C96.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Maybe Battlefield 1 spiked the popularity of the C96 and the Astra 900 followed when people caught on to them being a cheap substitute?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Oh boy I can get a third gun with a hosed up chamber!!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

So uhhh, how hard is it to find a G43 stock? I love getting in over my head buying hosed up guns!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I just got a $500 deductible back from my car insurance subrogation so I guess I'm in. YOLO!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Mambo No. 5 posted:

How difficult is it to build a C308 or Cetme L? I heard that an 8mm Label case helps with the main spring on the L.

I've heard G3s (and presumably C308s are more or less the same) are fairly difficult to build. I've never build a gun from a flat before so maybe I'm not the right guy to answer this but my impression is that it's on the more advanced side of things. There's welding required at a couple points and I think you have to press the barrel(trunion?) into the receiver.

No idea about the L.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

This went for $1245. I tapped out at $1220 which is way higher than I should have gone but I'm an auction sucker who can't control himself. :v:

Maybe it'll explode on him :unsmigghh:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

He's got a bunch of "bernt" guns. Any estimate on what this Mauser is worth? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858946443

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

My friend got a Special grade Garand from CMP a week or two ago. I'll see if I can get him to post pics here. It looked real nice. Janurary 1944 IIRC

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 26, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

It's almost certainly an April fools joke but if it's not it's the most insane SA drama to date!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Jehde posted:

Czech vz. 33's are pretty common, and basically a K98k in design with the carbine length and turned bolt handle. There's also a bunch of them that the Israelis re-barreled for 7.62 NATO, which makes them a bit cheaper to shoot.

Only one on Gunbroker at the moment that I can find, and in 8mm.

But searching for those I did find this which is pretty cool https://www.gunbroker.com/item/857756861

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Cyrano4747 posted:

These days surplus is pretty dry. Gunbroker if youíre looking for something specific. Once in a while Century will get a new batch of something.

Do you think the days where it was cheap and plentiful are gone forever? Have most countries finally gotten rid of all their stored bolt actions and such?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It seems so weird to me and that's what I like about it. Shooting an aircraft with a bolt action rifle. How did they expect that to work out?

I imagine they intended it to be done en masse with a large group of soldiers. So if you've got enough people firing then you end up with the equivalent of a machine gun or two which might actually end up having some success. Theoretically. Also it was probably introduced in the 30s and planes weren't as fast or durable as they were once the war progressed.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Re: Free books from Osprey and their website being hosed up:
If anyone else is having trouble here's what fixed it for me: Delete browser cookies/data/etc, open the Osprey site again and make sure the UK store is selected, then log in. It should successfully log in if you selected the UK store. Then delete everything from your cart and switch to the US store. Add the free books again and use the code to check out etc.
I think the website/login system freaks out when you have items with a price in the incorrect currency for the store, so the books priced in GBP that I added when the US store was broken a few days ago were causing me to be completely unable to log in to the US store after it was fixed because it expected a USD amount.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Was just overcome with carbine fever and spent most of my plaguebux on an M1 carbine from Royal Tiger Imports. They were out of the excellent to unissued ones so I went with a very good to excellent one. Will report back as soon as I get the gun.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Hmmmm, on a whim I checked RTI's website again and they have excellent to unissued carbines available again. So either someone canceled their order or they reclassified one that wasn't graded that high before :v:

Might call them tomorrow morning and see if I can get them to upgrade me.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Got an "excellent to unissued" M1 carbine ordered :toot:

She said they have my C&R so hopefully it'll get here early next week or something. I'll post it as soon as I have it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

LingcodKilla posted:

Have your friend in a separate car so you donít both get gunned down.

Simply gun down the other party on sight and take their money and/or gun before they get you first!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

What's the best place to by .30 Carbine ammo since I have a carbine on the way now? Is the cheap Russian steel case stuff ok to use or should I stick with Prvi Partizan etc? What about Korean War surplus ammo? I've had zero problems with tons of Tula/Wolf in my PTR but that's an incredibly reliable gun and also not an old relic.

And should I just go ahead and order a set of new springs from Wolff?

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 19, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

DeesGrandpa posted:

The Korean surplus stuff (made by lake city) in the 1080rd spam cans is very good poo poo. It was 360 or so shipped before the panic, some might still have it.

Thanks, I ended up getting one of these from OutdoorLimited.

I also signed up for their $80/year membership thing so we'll see if that ends up being worth it or not.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

The M1 Carbine doesn't ping at the end of a mag, as far as I know. The M1 Garand does.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Commissar Canuck posted:

Well I saw a MAS 49/56 on gunbroker for a decent price and no bids and threw a minimum bid on it. Turns out when everyone's panic buying ARs to shoot COVID no one is looking at French milsurp and I won :france: The auction also included a decent scope and mount as a bonus. I'll probably use it in the interim, but I do want to get my hands on a proper APX scope for it down the road. Anyone try firing those rubber dummy grenades with blanks? Seems like some goofy fun if you have the land/space.

The newest member of my collection:

That thing is super cool!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Did you buy it to shoot or did you buy it to flip? If you bought it to shoot then I don't see the problem with cleaning all the gross old gunk off of it. It's not like you modified it somehow.

I'm not exactly a milsurp collector by any means but I'd much rather have a gun that works better and looks much nicer than one that has genuine century old grease on it.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 25, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Yeah Numrich is good. Theyíre the biggest gun parts company around. Other companies might have more specific stuff (hkparts for HKs etc) but Numrich has the biggest general inventory AFAIK.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Phone posting sorry. Didn't have much time to take pics and I have no idea what I'm looking at. What do you guys think from what you can see? Barrel says Marlin. Front sight is marked N. U mark is National Postal Meter right?

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 27, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

LingcodKilla posted:

Take out the receiver and look for import or cut marks too.

This is one of the Ethiopian imports from Royal Tiger Imports. Mark is dotted on the bottom of the barrel in front of the handguard.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Just paying it forward. I learned about Numrich here too!

What was your order again? Was it the standard or did you pay extra?

I payed the $400 extra for "excellent to unissued". The metal looks good as far as I could see. Didn't get a chance to look at the bore. The stock looks kinda bad to me but I don't really know what I'm looking at here so maybe it's fine?

What's a good way to wipe it down without anyone accusing me of committing a crime against history? It's grimy and I don't like how it feels.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

DeesGrandpa posted:

I'd still be pretty happy with that carbine and you'll love shooting it.

This is what I needed to hear lol

I just wanted something in nice condition with a cool history that I could actually shoot.

Also I checked under the rear sight and it says:
NATIONAL
POSTAL METER
Serial #
U

NPM produced guns in the range or 4.0-4.4m from December 43 to May 44 so I'm guessing mine would fall around April 44 approximately?

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 28, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I like turtles posted:

Son of a bitch, are you me? I've got an IBM on the way. We'll see how it is.
First the spectre and now this.

Great minds think alike :hfive:

And thank you to everyone for your advice/input!

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 28, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Did a full disassembly of my carbine so I could replace all the springs and clean and oil it real good. Shoutout to Hoppes gun oil wipes.
I didn't disassemble the bolt because apparently it requires three hands or a special tool which I don't yet have. gently caress getting the hammer spring back in. Never taking that apart again if I don't have to.

I took pics of every manufacturer marking I could find. There's a 7 on the bottom of the receiver too that I forgot to take a picture of.

It really is in excellent to unissued condition mechanically. The stock looks bad but the action looks fantastic aside from very small amounts of old dried oil in a few places that came off pretty easily. The bore looks good too as far as I can tell from looking down the muzzle with a light shining into the open action.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Sten Freak posted:

That seals the deal that it was rearsenaled. They also sand blasted and reparked them.

So what exactly does that imply in general? Worth less than an unrefurbished gun? I don't really care about the sale value too much since I want to keep and shoot it, although it'd be nice to know that I didn't over pay by $500 or something :v:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

DeesGrandpa posted:

Honestly if I'd paid an extra $400 for excellent or unissued I'd be pretty grumpy and likely would've tried a return.

That said, itll shoot I bet, and to borrow a sixgun phrase, you can look at it less as overpaying vs paying too early. I have no doubt that'll be representative of a $1300 carbine in the next few years.

I used my plaguebux so I'm not too bent out of shape about it. Easy come, easy go and all that. It does look very good internally though so I'm fairly happy about that. I can always buy a repro stock and slap the receiver in there.

I do find it interesting that their Excellent to Unissued guns were out of stock and then a night or two later checked and they were in stock again! It's possible someone just canceled their order or they hadn't finished processing all of the stuff they imported and put more into their inventory later. But it's also possible someone wasn't happy with theirs and returned it, or they decided they could reclassify something that had initially been graded lower.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 30, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Captain Log posted:

Have you thought about contacting them? I understand being ok with keeping the gun. But it sure seems like they should do something to make it right. That gun look rough and Iíd wonder if you got the correct one.

I guess I don't really know what to say to them. "My stock looks like poo poo is this correct?"

Mostly it's just I don't really know much about milsurp or grading. My only other milsurp gun is a sporterized Swiss 96/11 I got for super cheap because the chamber was hosed up. I don't really know what's normal/expected for an old gun that was used in wartime.

Honestly I'm pretty disappointed with the stock but those aren't too expensive to obtain. The metal parts of the gun look nearly immaculate as far as I can tell so I figure they'll tell me "well we graded based on that so gently caress off".

Also I just spent a whole night cleaning the poo poo out of everything but the stock and replacing most of the springs so I don't particularly want to send it back at this point. If they want to give me a partial refund I'd be down for that but I think most companies would either do a return or nothing in my experience.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Yeah I think I'm just gonna look into new stocks and let it slide. If I throw it into a nice looking stock it'll be a pretty dang nice gun I think.

Anyone know where I can get a good looking carbine stock? Preferably for relatively cheap but if it looks beautiful I'm willing to pay more.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Sten Freak posted:

Yeah if they needed a new barrel I bet Inland capacity being what it was supplied the spares. Seems feasible.

As far as replacement stock eBay is good for an m1 stock. In fact I scored a nice NPM marked one off there. If you buy the hand guard separate you can save quite a bit.

Currently bidding on and winning a very nice looking NPM stock+handguard. It's actually a high wood stock and 4 rivet handguard so neither part matches what the gun came with but whatever they look better to me anyway.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Cyrano4747 posted:

Your new whitworth?

:vince:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My kinda ape. I just checked Royal Tiger and the extra $400 is for an early production. It's $100 for very good to excellent. Maybe the stock is a little rough because it's an early one.

Btw, I'd be perfectly happy with that and a new stock. I might even get one some day although they only have 16 left in stock and I still want that Yugo K98 (I think). I emailed them about how I submit my C&R license to them but they never got back to me.

They had two +400 options. One was early production with no specific grade and the other was excellent to unissued grade, presumably later production if they grabbed all the early production guns for the other group.

The serial number indicates it was probably made in April-May 1944 so it's a mid-late war production gun. And then it was refurbished at some point before being sent off to Ethiopia in 1947(?)

Also I had to call them to upgrade from my original +$100 very good to excellent grade order since more of the excellent to unissued guns somehow came back in stock when they were out the day before when I ordered. My invoice that came with the gun says excellent to unissued.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Ok so it turns out that RTI has a video that clearly shows the condition of the unissued and early rifles. I think I watched it before ordering but frankly I didnít know anything about M1 carbines at the time so I didn't really know whay I was looking at. It pretty clearly shows some pretty beat up stocks but he seems to be grading on the 100% finish. It also shows the type three barrel bands, flip safeties, and adjustable sights that indicate the guns were probably rearsenaled.

Comparing my gun to the ones in the video I think I pretty much got exactly what was advertised and I can't say they misrepresented anything. You can argue whether or not the price is reasonable or if it's silly to call guns with stocks like that unissued/excellent but I don't think I can claim the product I received is inferior to what was shown in the video.

https://youtu.be/vWwR6BsVMrQ