Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

So I picked up my first bolt action rifle, a Smith Corona 1903A3 with reproduction stock.

I also put a winning minimum bid on a Yugo M24/52 C after seeing Classic sell some German occupation VZ 24s for a high price and panicked. Is the Yugo M24/52 C essentially like the Yugo M98/48 rework of acquired German 98k's except with a VZ 24 instead?

TheAsterite fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Just picked this up from my lgs today. A Remington m1917 that seems to have been imported by Century from... somewhere.

Barrel seems to be original Remington with a 7 - 18 date. Bolt is Remington also, but is serialized and not matching to the receiver. Stock is probably a reproduction. It feels waxy like my beech wood vz58 furniture, and not like my 1903a3 or garand walnut reproduction stocks.

I don't see any noticeable painted 30-06 caliber markings on the stock or any Canadian markings.

Is there a good way to find out where this was imported from?

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

Looks like the stock has been sanded and polished as some milsurp collectors were want to do back in the 50-00s.

Also, sup '18 production Remington Buddy.

I did find this one faint mark on the stock:

But I'm pretty sure that's not an original marking, and I'm pretty sure it looks deliberate. But honestly it's hard to tell.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

So I got a new to me, used 1917 follower to replace my bubba'd one. The follower's a little sticky at the top, should I look into sanding/filing the edges for a smoother fit?

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

3rd milsurp so far, an 8mm Yugo m24/52c, which I think is a Yugo reworked vz24. Bolt is really smooth, with a fair amount of wobble when fully to the rear, but the lockup is good.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Fearless posted:

That's pretty typical for almost all milsurp bolt actions isn't it?

Just seemed like more than my 03a3 and 1917. No big deal though, the gun feels solid.

Edit: Since we're on a new page. I couldn't resist also going after a Chilean 7mm 1935 Mauser at auction. Should hopefully be getting that in the next couple weeks.

TheAsterite fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 24, 2020

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Auction pics of what I won. Seems like South American Mausers are still somewhat underappreciated, and especially this one with only a 10K manufacture run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

glynnenstein posted:

Extremely nice! My Carabineros de Chile rifle was a steal, too. It seems crazy to me for a banner, plus you get the forgotten weapons vid that goes with it.

Ironically I probably lowered the collectible price on those