Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

AFewBricksShy posted:

I have a question regarding milsurp.

I have a rc K98 that I restored the stock on. While restoring it back in '03, I kept the original nazi markings on the stock in tact. They are faint, but there.

Obviously this was done before nazis became a real thing again, but am I coming off as some racist douche by keeping them on?

If you don't want to own nazi stuff but like the gun, look around for who else used the same or a similar gun. Personally, I wanted a Mauser that was more likely to have shot at nazis than at jews and Cyrano pointed me toward the Yugo mausers. Now I own an M24/47. Also, all my parts came in to fix my trigger issue with and the finish on the parts is in way better condition than the rest of the gun. I'll post pics after I swap them.

My adventure in Milsurp started with hearing about how easy it is to get old guns shipped straight to me. I also found out that you get a way better price on Garands with the same license. So I paid to be put on a government list that lets me not pay private businesses to transfer old guns. I'm now the proud owner of a late '45 M1 Garand, a greasy chinese SKS, and a slighty wore out M24/47. I hope to add more milsurp to my collection, starting with another M1 that I am in the process of ordering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Coldrice posted:

Obligatory bathroom floor pic

Type 56 SKS, matching, 1965 date factory 26.

I got this right before thanksgiving and spent that weekend cleaning it up (it was DIRTYYYYY). Shot a few hundred rounds over the various holidays and its way more accurate than I expected. Its kinda replaced everything I own as my favorite now.

Nice! How do you like the rear sight? Would you recommend one?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Looks like I've run into a tiny snag. The new cocking piece will not turn on the firing pin to reassemble. The barrel section is a little shorter than the original, but everything else seems to line up well.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I replaced all of the other parts and still have the same problem. That leads me to believe the cocking piece is the issue. Well, that or maybe the whole bolt is wrong? There's a tiny bit of play when the bolt is locked in and that seems to make the difference between clean break and not. With the new parts, I will get the occasional clean break. I want to say maybe one out of seven or eight. I wasn't really counting.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Numrich got tricked or tricked me. The part number I purchased is listed for 48, 48a, 24, and 24/47. I guess I'll contact customer service. Thanks Cyrano.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Here's the two marks that I can find:

"J"

Off-center "I"

The firing pin will start to turn and then lock up like the channels inside the barrel are narrowing or something. The firing pin sticks out the back a little as well. Other than that, everything lines up.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I'm not having any luck finding a new cocking piece. Some old posts on old forums say the cocking piece from a 48 should fit. Maybe this one got confused for one of those? How bad of an idea is it to modify either the cocking piece or the firing pin to make it work?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Oh yeah, it even starts to turn into place then gets hung up like the channels get too narrow. I was thinking of just polishing the shoulders to see if burrs were an issue.

Edit: maybe the finish is causing the problem?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Seems like that's working! I'll have to work it a bunch but it's already turnable by hand. Idk if I could do it during reassembly yet though.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Once I get the bolt back together I should be able to see that stuff. Once I get the whole rifle back together I can try mortaring it again to see if that was enough to fix it.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Well the new parts are on and there's still no clean break. The silver lining is that it seems much less likely to go off if I drop it. I mortared the gun about 10 times and it dropped 2 times.

The rear of the bolt still has play when locked up, and when I push it down with my other hand, the clean break is super crisp. Is there a way that the rear of the receiver is out of shape, stretched, or something?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

That M1917 looks so good. I hope I find one that I can afford this year.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Hey Cyrano, how compatible are Mauser bolt parts? I'm wondering if a bolt with a finish on it might take out the slop. I was talking with a friend and he mentioned that maybe a Bubba tried to "smooth" out the action by messing with the bolt parts (hopefully) or the gun side of the action (hopefully not).

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I'm out of town, I'll have to take one when I get back. I can't be sure, but it feels like a tenth of a milimeter. Maybe even less, but I can definitely move it downward if I push on it.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Speaking of 98 action Mausers, here's a couple imgur gifs of mine:

Wiggle Room

I suspect that my problem lies there.

Edit: every time I try to link to imgur I run into a new problem.

Mambo No. 5 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 21, 2020

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

That's the new one I put on, the old Yugo one is a little longer but has a damaged corner on the sear face. At this point, I just want to figure out what's going on with it and hopefully fix it. It's a total mixmaster as far as serials go, so mixmastering some more won't hurt the thing. If I ever get rid of it, I'll try to remember to send the parts with it.

Edit: by shroud do you mean the piece that holds all of the firing pin stuff together and screws into the bolt? The big round piece that I'm pushing on in the gifs?

Mambo No. 5 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 21, 2020

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I found a pdf from Brownell's that says Mexican 1910, 24, and 36 Mausers have interchangeable parts with 1924 Yugo Mausers. Unfortunately, Numrich, ebay, and google are failing me on replacements. Some other forums posters say that a variety of shrouds will screw into a lot of bolts though.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I was able to fondle a friend's k98 and that thing was rock solid. The friend was the one who thought Bubba might have done a number on the gun. Could have just been a poor attempt at a repair job, right? Hell, even Numrich sent me the wrong part.

Edit:

Fearless posted:

Let's be honest, you didn't need a reason to be doing that in the first place.

Lol

Mambo No. 5 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 22, 2020

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Azuren posted:

My first Garand just shipped from the CMP today! Ordered a special grade, excited to see it when it comes in. Less than a month turnaround, I'm surprised.

When did you order?

DeesGrandpa posted:

Double posting, but apparently CMP still has $650 field grade garands. Looks like the beater dream will be a reality!

Hell yeah! Or get a beater with a brand new barrel for the same price! Look for RM1SPECIALRACK. Also, I see they have Winchesters with a new barrel for $50 more and I kinda want to see of they'll let me upgrade.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

TheAsterite posted:

3rd milsurp so far, an 8mm Yugo m24/52c, which I think is a Yugo reworked vz24. Bolt is really smooth, with a fair amount of wobble when fully to the rear, but the lockup is good.

That looks real nice! I'm fairly positive that I have some mismatched parts going on with my m24/47, thanks to Cyrano's keen eye. Good to know other Yugos don't have my problem.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I hope AIM gets some so I don't have to give classic any money. Not that AIM is much better, but at least they won't try to screw you on prices after you've already placed your order.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Sorry, that was more in relation to their general politicin' as relayed to me in the Racism etc thread. As far customer service, they were cool.

In other news, I paid for the M1 today over the phone on my lunch break. They said they hope to ship next week.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

1,769,XXX is June 1943 if the internet is to be believed. Springfield #2 should arrive by noon tomorrow.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

The new (to me) M1 is here! A box post by me.

So this thing has been at my house since about noon EST.

Look at it. Just sitting there. Hmm... looks a little bigger than the last one. Oh well, let's cut to the chase.

I really need to get a bayonet for this kind of work.

Huh, that's new. A lot less tan than last time.

Oh dang. This thing is the Cadillac of platic hardcases.

I thought they said there would be pitting, this thing looks almost as good as the field grade I bought last year.

Alas, theres goo on the bolt. The gunk feels kind of like crayon residue, probably a dry lubricant of some kind?

Anyway, it's a perfect mixmaster. The floorplate and latch are H&R, the receiver is SA, and the barrel is brand new. I'm super pleased with it so far. Now to get it out to a range. Almost forgot, it came with a sling! Also, I have a gas plug on the way. The other M1 will be moving to the back of the safe to sit for probaly about 16 years, till the boy is old enough.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

DeesGrandpa posted:

Got a few pics of the whole thing?

I'll get more pics when my two year old isn't trying to steal all of the parts and calling the op rod spring a web shooter, lol.

DeesGrandpa posted:

the rack special graded rifles were, IIRC, criterion barrels, CMP wood, and in theory with a pitted receiver but most have been pretty decent. I wanna gamble on a field grade but a more or less guaranteed shooter with wood I don't give a gently caress about really fits in with my beater garand wishes.

I got this one to be my beater. My other one is a field grade. It doesn't have original wood, but it has USGI wood and was refinished by the army in '65. I figure my kid will get both of them eventually, but I plan to give hime the more collectable of the two when he turns 18. Back to the M1, I was kind of hoping for a receiver with some scars on it so I could fill them in with something colorful then clear coat it or something blasphemous. I'm thinking about getting the mount and a red dot for it too.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Thermos posted:

https://www.gunpost.ca/firearms/rifles/windsor/severely-bubbaed-ag-m42b-ljungman-65-x-55-mm

Another hosed up Ljungman for your viewing pleasure. At least this guy is aware of it.

Too bad the ATF won't let me import that, Windsor is just south of me a hop, skip, and a jump.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Yeah and you guys have chinese knock off m14s in 7.62×39. Quit rubbing it in. Keep rubbing it in.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Yeah, I've used the .pdf method twice and the physical copy once. The CMP wants a physical copy mailed in with your order form and other information. In my experience, online retailers will take a .pdf and gunbroker auctions are kind of a toss up. The pawn shop that sold me a mauser were cool with an emailed .pdf.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

DrPop posted:

Cool FW video on Ethiopian-contract FN Mausers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1LbEyl8v3I

Interesting shot at the end: these have been imported to the US by IO Inc (yes, that IO Inc). They're currently listed on their site. The listing says the only way to purchase them is to email em. I sent an email in yesterday, going to try to call.

If anyone manages to connect with IO about these rifles, please lemme know.

They sold the vast majority to Classic, unfortunately. Ian had an interview with the IO guy and he said they were keeping the best for themselves to sell.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Buy the gun, not the story.

This should be in the OP.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

By some studies, it was better. Which is why I'm thinking about doing it to my CMP shooter.

Edit: Quick Mauser question Cyrano, does the bolt sleeve from a Vz24 fit an M24/47 or do I need to play roulette with sleeves till I find one that works?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

boxen posted:

I really, really want to build up a BM59 for more or less this reason. There were some Breda Garand receivers on GunBroker awhile back that would have been perfect to convert, but I didn't have the money at the time.

Side note: If I wanted to hack up an actual Garand reciever to make a BM59 (rather, send it off to be machined), is there any particular s/n or year range I should avoid hacking up? I see pre WW2 stuff, mid-WW2 stuff, and rarely post-war stuff on GunBroker, and the prices on receivers don't seem to vary much by year alone. I'd think post-war production ones would be the least valuable but it doesn't seem to make a difference, at least not for a bare receiver.

If you're thinking of chopping on one check this poo poo out.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/dutch-m1-with-ar-10-magazines/

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh man, I would love to know what was going on inside there to convert the clip release into a mag release.

Today was the first time I noticed that and oh yeah. I would love to see Ian tear that down.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I'm bad a taking pics down sights.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

25 yards, I was tuning in the adjustable gas plug and it was the only opening on the line when I got there. I had fun though.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Hell yeah! Do you shoot there?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I drive through Ox to get there. I live in Romeo. My brother-in-law told me about the range and I love it. I hope Macomb County gets a DNR range or at least a decent public outdoor range.

Edit: how difficult should it be to adjust the front sight of an sks with the little press tool? I tried to move it today and it didn't budge.

Mambo No. 5 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 25, 2020

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

In a rare shoot-twice-in-a-month moment, I was at CQT last night with my BiL. I haven't been out to Bald Mountain because I figure if I'm going to drive 30 minutes, I might as well drive 40 and save $11 to shoot. I've been to North Macomb Sportsman's Club for non shooting reasons and I really wish they were open to the public. Their facility is super nice. I also really want to start a public outdoor range but coming up with capital is my biggest hurdle. Well, that and finding a property where neighbors won't be mad about shooting from 10 - 5 daily.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

New bolt sleeve is here. I bought one with no markings and in the white. It looks identical so I'm not sure if it will make a difference. It's also gunked up so it'll sit in some ATF over night to loosen the crud. Getting a look at the old one in better light, there looks to be two tiny eagles with numbers under them on it. 26 under one, and a 4 or 5 digit string under the other. Too small for me to make out but kind of looks like W2A2B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Ha, I figured that's what they meant. So there has to be some level of interchangeablility. The new sleeve doesn't want to thread into the bolt even though the threads line up with the old one. I must be missing something.