Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Sks' are super fun and like a grandpa AK so get one!

Edit: My sks is the reason that I can't separate the smell of cosmo and brake cleaner in my nose any more. It's still a little stinky but it's fun to shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

How difficult is it to build a C308 or Cetme L? I heard that an 8mm Label case helps with the main spring on the L.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Speaking of Gun Jesus, I recently found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0D6p3w2qgY

I want an 1897 and will probably never afford a real M1897.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Hell, I tapped at $800 on that one, because I'm a poor.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I can help you cure that illnessand it'll only cost you 1 mosin.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

My special shoots better than my collector piece. They're both fantastic though. Defo worth the money.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah I always get nervous in dealing with C&R guns because they can always vanish so quickly. Looking at the CMP list, almost everything is sold out. I guess I just saw the list and freaked out a bit. I'll take a deep breath and do this correctly.

Can you fire modern ammo out of the Garands?

In the words of Cyrano, "Gas plugs are cheap, op rods are expensive."

Pick up one of these, I have one for each M1 I own: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100471950

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ_F1riBth8

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Cyrano. You need more than one Garand. Believe me. I own two.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Roundboy posted:

I still relate the story of upon holding and shooting a garand for the first time ever, they hit 8/8 steel at 200 yards and went 'meh'.

Felt it was kind of boring because it was so easy. Even after I told them they just hit a torso at 200 yards like it was nothing.

They no longer are on my list when I go to the range

That person is a monster.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Cyrano4747 posted:

The one gun I still want from Turkey is an enfauser.

Basically captured Enfields that they had on hand after WW1 and reworked using extra Mauser parts. They're just bizarre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VQjo3MhgVw

That's a rad hybrid. I like the brass buttplate.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Is there a reputable brand for reproduction bayonets?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

quote:

Attempted forums coup. User loses posting privileges for 100,000 hours.

Uhhh... what?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Bravo, Cyrano, bravo.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Half the fun is waiting (not really fun though)!

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

DeesGrandpa posted:

Happy the prices on these are high enough that I'm not forced to roll the dice, but man I'd love to get to handpick out of a pile of M1 carbines.

https://www.royaltigerimports.com/product-p/m1car001.htm

Hahaha, I was coming to ask about this.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

But why though?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I would absolutely buy that SVT if I saw one. Might even try to fit it with a No4 magazine to get the geometry right for loading and feeding.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I was wondering about Royal Tiger too because they have a M48 Mauser that I'm looking at. The first paragraph though is about how you could get a lovely one so that makes me nervous.

I've mentioned it before but I really don't want to use Gunbroker. With a company at least I can call them and ask what's going on, even if I get bad news. On gunbroker sometimes it's just some dude. Plus a lot of them I've seen don't take credit card and I don't feel comfortable sending a money order in the mail. With a CC at least I can do a chargeback if they screw me.

Check the seller on GB and if it's a pawn shop then you're closer to dealing with a normal shop than a rando. I got my yugo mauser from a pawnshop in CA and I feel like I got a deal on it, despite my issues with it. I just need some warmer weather and some kitty litter to get closer to "finished" with it, haha.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I have four of those and am working on a fifth. I'll get there one day!

What shotgun is that? My dad has one that looks similar but it has a big ol' choke on it.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

The old man has Western Field, so that explains it. Thanks!

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

A carbine real tempting but I want to get one from one of my LGSs. The problem is, he isn't open right now.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm continually surprised on those rare occasions I see something like an old hex Mosin under 250. I swear I'm going to jump on the next one I see.

If it weren't for the virus I'd have checked a few pawn shops around. Still want one of those Remington Mosins and I'm pissed at myself for being broke the last time I saw one. It was very well priced, too. All the ones I see online are hideously expensive.

Trolling pawn shops was my birthday plan this year.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

All this carbine talk is making it harder to be responsible with my money.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I kind of want to get a Mauser one of these days but I've never seen a 'real' one that wasn't Fudd-hosed to hell and have no idea what I'm looking at most of the time.

If I find a cheap Fudd thing that's still chambered for the original cartridge maybe I'll just buy one of those and find a stock to put it in idk. poo poo's expensive.

It's either that or buy a Yugo.

I was watching a Yugo m48 on GB that went for sub 400. Keep an eye out for then and you'll find one. As much as I have problems with my 24/47 I still like it.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

The kick is about the same as .30-06 too!

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

S&B fake M2 ball and Prvi fmj-bt

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

That's a good looking Arisaka!

I think my Yugo is a little lighter than my M1 but it also holds a little different and I've cracked myself real good once or twice with the Yugo. The M1 is just so much more comfortable to hold for me.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

gently caress me, I want one of those so bad now.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I've had better luck with Numrich than any other old gun stuff retailer.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

AceMcSquelch posted:

I don't know if I ever thanked you for that, by the way. It helped me save a decent bit of money while restoring a few old Police Positives, as well as a cheap Iver Johnson .22 revolver.

Just paying it forward. I learned about Numrich here too!

my kinda ape posted:

Phone posting sorry. Didn't have much time to take pics and I have no idea what I'm looking at. What do you guys think from what you can see? Barrel says Marlin. Front sight is marked N. U mark is National Postal Meter right?

What was your order again? Was it the standard or did you pay extra?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I want everything in that picture.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Don't give money to Classic is the general rule, and I think PSA had grade 2's on sale recently.

Edit: out of stock.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

The other general rule is use privacy.com when dealing with PSA. I got mine from AIM surplus and I blasted the bolt with brake cleaner until all the bits moved the way they were suposed to, then I plasted it with simple green and stuck it in a ziplock in direct sunlight.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

DeesGrandpa posted:

My AIM one cleaned up pretty nice

I'm still working on the stock on mine and it still stinks like cosmo. I love it.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I just put money down on a Quality Hardware! LGS payment plans are cool

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Against my best interests, I ordered a Yugo M48 from Classic. 1) Because it's basically one-click ordering for me since they have all of my info, 2) It was $400 which is on the very low end of what I was seeing most places, 3) This is incredibly stupid but I honestly wanted to take the chance and see what I get. I've had good luck with them in the past.

Welp. We'll all find out in about a week or less.

Please don't yell at me.

That's what I paid for mine on GB, I hope you get one you like! Mine is a bit of a pain but if I can smooth it all out then I have a story to go with it. Or I can sell it for a little more that I bought it, maybe.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Yeah, I feel that way too for every gun I own except this Mauser. Not sure why. The plan so far has been to leave all of them to my kid so he can deal with them.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

If I wasn't 2 payments into a carbine I'd be sliding into your PMs so fast right now.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I agree as well. Cleaning guns is meditative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

poo poo. I really need to find a bubba'd sks now so I can chrome it.