Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Just gettin in on the ground floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Hell yeah, if I had to choose between my most fun guns it'd be a toss up between the M1s (garand and carbine). Everyone loves both, but I think the ping pushes the garand over the edge.

Pictured, a person enjoying an M1.

DeesGrandpa fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 23, 2020

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Double posting, but apparently CMP still has $650 field grade garands. Looks like the beater dream will be a reality!

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Crossposting from the 1911 thread

Looking at the CMP forums and somebody got this as a CMP 1911 (not my pics).

The couple posts on it on the CMP forum suggest a match pistol that got worn to the point they recycled it into parts for a service pistol, or some type of special operations modification per somebody who encountered similar on special forces people returning from Grenada or Panama. I love weird poo poo like that and it's one of the reasons I find buying sight unseen surplus so cool.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Somebody Awful posted:

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5fO14v0tgg

On one hand, more milsurp. On the other hand, more milsurp from I.O. and Classic.

Surplus that has passed through many hands is my catnip. Gonna be a real test of following my own dont buy from classic rule.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Had a lovely day but noticed that a dude in the small town I happened to be in was selling this for cheap. So gently caress it, I now have a Jungle Carbine.

The wood is extremely pretty and pops. At some point someone put a beautiful hard, glossy coat on it.

The markings seem legit, and it's matching but for the magazine. The sights are proper No.5s. Everything matches up with the comparison pics to confirm it's definitely not a hosed-with No.4.

So what's wrong with it you may ask? loving Bubba'd barrel end somewhere in its lifetime.

Bore looks good, barrel overall is solid, but with no flash hider I'm looking forward to it making GBS threads fire or some other horrible mishap.

Sucks about the bubbaing but I'd still toss it in the truck for loving around. It's already harmed, enjoy the fireballs and feel no guilt about knocking it around.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

M44s are a blast in all senses of the word. Whenever people poo poo on Mosins I just think about that incredible fun to dollar value ratio. Way more fun than the 91/30s.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Mambo No. 5 posted:

The new (to me) M1 is here! A box post by me.

So this thing has been at my house since about noon EST.

Look at it. Just sitting there. Hmm... looks a little bigger than the last one. Oh well, let's cut to the chase.

I really need to get a bayonet for this kind of work.

Huh, that's new. A lot less tan than last time.

Oh dang. This thing is the Cadillac of platic hardcases.

I thought they said there would be pitting, this thing looks almost as good as the field grade I bought last year.

Alas, theres goo on the bolt. The gunk feels kind of like crayon residue, probably a dry lubricant of some kind?

Anyway, it's a perfect mixmaster. The floorplate and latch are H&R, the receiver is SA, and the barrel is brand new. I'm super pleased with it so far. Now to get it out to a range. Almost forgot, it came with a sling! Also, I have a gas plug on the way. The other M1 will be moving to the back of the safe to sit for probaly about 16 years, till the boy is old enough.

Got a few pics of the whole thing?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

the rack special graded rifles were, IIRC, criterion barrels, CMP wood, and in theory with a pitted receiver but most have been pretty decent. I wanna gamble on a field grade but a more or less guaranteed shooter with wood I don't give a gently caress about really fits in with my beater garand wishes.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Captain Log posted:

So a Boyd's is a repro? Is that type of stock value adding or decreasing?

It's a repro. Many of the rifles the CMP are selling now are returns from areas where storage conditions (water and termites) were not ideal. This led to the need for replacement stocks, and in some cases barrels.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

flightless greeb posted:

If that's not clear, repro parts generally reduce the value of historical guns.

I don't know that that's entirely accurate on these. From the accounts I've heard, the wood on a lot of these rack grade specials was utterly trashed, and the CMP wood on the rack grade specials brought them into a shootable condition. OG wood is great as long as it's sound, but once it isn't that's a bummer.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Yeah if they're going that high I'm comfortable continuing to not buy from classic.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I love the M1 Carbine but always gotta be something up with it at the range. First, the rear sight began again sliding out of the dovetail despite loctite and shims. It did it slowly enough that it was not loose when I checked it, but sure enough shifted a large amount while shooting. Led to endlessly infuriating shots at my 6 inch gong on the 100, where for a mag I'd get clang clang clang then suddenly I was missing. Guess the Ultimak rail and a micro are going back on. Also, I've noticed significant wear on my magazines (pictured below), the worst is pictured. These are all USGI magazines, I believe this one was new in wrapper before I got my grubby mits on it. I hadn't noticed before tossing in the Wolff extra power magazine springs (in an effort to fix the incredibly frustrating reliability issues) but no idea if that's related or just timing. On the plus side, both Wolf steel case and the Korean surplus .30 carbine didn't cause any new issues. On the plus side, it was a beautiful day in the mountains, and I scored a dirt cheap pelican case (already cut for a shotgun, but I was able to make enough use of the foam in there that I don't need to run out and buy a new section).

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Sten Freak posted:

Beautiful day to be out.

Thatís an odd mag failure. Korean commercial mags are really good. They may be better than surplus, even unissued but I do think thereís a lot of tired carbine mags floating around. Anyway I use Korean 30s with my M2 and have no problems.

Had no idea you had an M2 in addition to the other fun stuff, quite rad. I'm still trying to comply with our Denver city no mags over 15 (even grandfathered) BS so my 30s are out of city unfortunately.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Sten Freak posted:

Yeah as Cyrano said they (KCI) makes 15s. AIM surplus has them for $12.

I didnít hand you the M2 when you came by because it looks just like an M1 with a goofy brake and easy to miss selector. But we should go shoot it sometime. I need to take it out more. Itís a handful in a fun way, real fast and light.

Yeah I'm down for that for sure. I was looking at an M2 carbine before the prices climbed in the last few years (not that saving for a house in Denver leaves me with much of a budget for machineguns anyways), always wanted to put some mags through one.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Bit the bullet and JB welded the rear sight in place. Can heat it up or dissolve it later if I need to, but a couple test hammer/punch blows and it's solid for now. Will see how it holds up later.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Guessed which vid it was! The M1 carbine is a less commonly sporterized gun (I guess due to the semi-auto nature, the fact it's already tiny, light, and with good sights, and the cartridge) but a large proportion of the ones that are sporterized are done in really cool ways like that.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I bought a trash grade Cosmo slathered worn out chinese by way of Albania SKS and with the exception of a beer can shim to tighten up the stock fit it's run flawlessly is a neat rifle. You just didnt go beat up enough

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

What's that distance?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

The surrender pistol idea is stupid but I also totally disagree with Ian's take that it's a safe pistol. It's a firearm easily and repeatedly capable of firing without pulling the trigger, and one issued widely to troops, many of whom likely did not get a ton of training on them. It's a dumb design that could have easily been fixed through adding in a cover to the design or bolting one on later.

Would still like one and the type 14, they're pretty neat.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Got another repro M1 carbine stock, this time from Numrich. Fits well, the stock is fairly tight in the open position, and aside from of course not being as worn as the carbine itself it looks fine. It's hard to describe just how compact this already compact rifle now is, and it fits in my light camping Patagucci duffel bag. Really need to find a reliable donor carbine for this thing so I can just abandon the AR as a practical thing all together.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

LordOfThePants posted:

A couple of folks in here got CMP 1911's right?

I sent in my packet and heard absolutely nothing from them. I figured I had forgotten to check a box or something and they just threw it out.

They called me today. I haven't called them back yet because it was after they were closed when I got the VM.

Kind of on the fence about buying one. I'm leaning towards getting one even though I'm trying to save up some cash to build a new shop on my property. I seem to recall the couple of folks who had them were generally happy with the quality they received?

If you get a rack grade and dont like it I'll happily give you what you paid for it. They're neat.

e: mine, don't know if it was service or field

DeesGrandpa fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 5, 2020

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I'm finally down to one mosin. It'll go back to 2 if I can track down one of those PU ones at a reasonable price.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I think I'm going to need a celebratory mosin day once the ranges are cool again. Close to dusk as possible running a couple hundred surplus ball through the M44 should set us right.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Lol welcome to arfcom. Good E&E and the tech sections are a godsend but definitely not a place I'd care to read the general discussion or be associated with.

E: oh man I'd like a crate of lugers

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Not quite sure where to post it but this was a pretty cool picture resource for some of the Vietnam era special groups.

https://www.militaryimages.net/threads/special-forces-in-vietnam.8447/

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Yep, an M2 in an m1a1 stock. The M1A1 is ridiculously handy (even compared to the already handy M1) and I cannot imagine how nice it would be with a giggle switch. If I could get my carbine to be reliable it would just live in my small duffle bag i use to carry my biking or fishing stuff.

Sten Freak posted:

It's an M2 as the selector switch is there and drat it, I've been waffling on buying a repro folding stock for years now. This isn't helping.

e

I've got a repro I'll be selling soon, you've got my email still I think.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I am quite happy to have stacked HXP M2 ball deep, both because it's rad and because I don't need to worry about a plug. When I run out of that I plan to just use the M2 spec PPU or Federal ammo, I don't really have a need to run any different 30-06 loads through it.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Oh yummy. I'd been eyeing one of those for once this is over, some BLO on the stock and that'll look pretty hot.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Happy the prices on these are high enough that I'm not forced to roll the dice, but man I'd love to get to handpick out of a pile of M1 carbines.

https://www.royaltigerimports.com/product-p/m1car001.htm

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I don't know much about the shop (I don't think I've even heard its name in several years) so can't speak to the buying process. If it was AIM I might consider giving them a shot, but I get the feeling that with all the hand pick options if you just order the base model you're getting a rode hard put away wet M1 for about the price you can find a CMP gun with a little searching.

That said, the price is not outrageous, just not great, and it does check that weird re-imported milsurp box that I love.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

The standardization on auto or select fire guns and political hesitance to sell handguns (and whatever semi/bolt guns are left) to the public by most countries that haven't already sold em off does not present a positive outlook for milsurp. I missed the best times, but I caught the tail end of milsurp as we knew it and I'm glad I did. poo poo was pretty neat.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I'm kinda bummed I didn't get the rifle grenade stuff for my M1 when it was cheap. Would be an absolute treat to hit a gong with one on the public range.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Miso Beno posted:

I guess dis pic should go here too

Love those topo design packs. I've got more than enough packs already, but someday I'll be drunk enough to buy another.

e: not pic thread, didnt need an image

DeesGrandpa fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 14, 2020

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Miso Beno posted:

They are v. nice. I picked one up after my Fjallraven No21 Large let me down again.

poo poo I thought I was in the photo thread, my pic makes less sense here

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

What kind of metal are the old russian 54r spam cans made of?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just sheet steel. I presume whatever the lowest grade, recycled a billion times, garbage tier is of that.

I was going to use it and some hose clamps to temp patch my muffler but turns out it's super cheap to just replace the muffler so now I wont have communism on my pickup :(

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

The Korean surplus stuff (made by lake city) in the 1080rd spam cans is very good poo poo. It was 360 or so shipped before the panic, some might still have it.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

flightless greeb posted:

post the carbinest pics you got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Captain Log posted:

That's the most adorably happy rifle shooting stance I've ever seen.

When I was in single digits, I'm sure I had a look of terror rather than glee.

Yeaaaah...that's a 24 year old at the time of the pic. I really like that pic, she was/(is I hope) a pretty cool person but very much not into guns, which is why I brought out the carbine. It's physically quite small which is great for shooters of smaller stature, it's got enough recoil and muzzle climb to feel like you're shooting something cool, but nowhere near enough to be painful or disorienting. If you've got a new shooter and an M1 carbine and you're not making that the combo you're loving up.