Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

The most problematic of mil/posurp mess: An IBM wartime receiver put in a folding stock by the Israeli civil guard and then outfitted with a Korean sling from Vietnam. Mag is KCI so it actually cycles

Also this rickety old thing still shoots mighty fine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

flightless greeb posted:

I also have 2-3 US Mil inspired AR15 clone guns but I'm not posting them here because that seems somehow gauche. But it does beg the question like what is milsurp really??

Milsurp (or posurp) is a firearm that was surplussed by a military (or police) force. This means the gun was used for duty, made obsolescent and no longer issued/stocked, and then sold on the civilian market for us junkies to clamber for. What this critically does not include is commercial reproductions of historical military/police firearms.

My M1c is a gauche mess, but it's all 'surp (minus the mag). It was first surplussed by the US army to Israel after WWII, where it was repurposed by a civilian police force, which then surplussed it again and exported it to the Canadian market for me to pick up.

My AR-15 has a surplussed C8 upper from the Canadian Forces, but the lower is some poverty pony XM177E1 clone I cobbled together. So it's half milsurp, half not.

My vz. 61 is a commercial reproduction of a Czech Army firearm, and I have surplussed holster and magazine pouch for it, but it's not milsurp at all.

(I think this thread is for both surplussed firearms and commercial reproductions of historical firearms.)

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Yeah I'm not sure about down south, but up here any sort of surplussed select-fire thing is a no go, even if it's flawlessly converted to be semi-automatic only. So I can get that milsurp C8 upper, but I sure as hell can't get a milsurp C8 lower.

This is partially what lead to the whole CZ 858 kerfuffle up here. The CZ 858 was a semi-automatic only reproduction of the vz. 58 for the civilian market, and was built on receivers made for the civilian market. CZUB got cocky/greedy and realized they had a bunch of surplussed military receivers lying around that they thought they could get away with converting to be semi-automatic only for CZ 858 export sales. They got caught by the RCMP and the CZ 858 became prohibited here, so CZUB decided they just weren't going to deal with that whole mess and ended up donating the remainder of their surplus vz. 58s to the Kurds instead.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Fearless posted:

Were you looking to do an SMLE restoration on your Dad's rifle, or was that someone else? I may have some spare parts to share that are left over from mine.

Yes! I still need to order a set of woods, but any spare bits and bobs you might have would be appreciated. Your restoration has been inspiring, but the wood prep sounds daunting.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

mikerock posted:

This is not wholly accurate. CZ was making them this way for the Canadian market from the get go. They were inspected and approved by the RCMP for import this way. The early Marstar rifles (I had one) just had a block installed in the receiver where the FA bits would go. It was the same with the Swiss Arms, despite always being a 550, and the original Type 97s being able to accept FA trigger groups, they were all inspected by the RCMP and approved for import. The mistake was with the RCMP approving them without doing their due diligence and then not realising their mistake until years later.

Ah, I thought that was the case for the SAN rifles (mistaken approval), but thought the CZ 858 was a case of a specific batch of them being converted autos, with the rest of them being fine. Which is how I thought it went from all CZ 858s being prohibited to just the affected production range according to the RCMP.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Wow that's even more of a mess than I thought on the RCMP side.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

I should probably just get a thighmaster. I've been humming and hawing about how I could mount a press for a while now, but I do mainly just want it for moon ammo purposes, and couldn't really care about efficiently pumping out 200 rounds of 9mm or whatever.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Yea KCI mags are great, they should be easy enough to find. Bonus they have a makeshift bolt hold open on the follower.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I guess I'm looking more for the carbine Mauser. That's the design I like.

edit: oh with the down turned bolt handle too.

Czech vz. 33's are pretty common, and basically a K98k in design with the carbine length and turned bolt handle. There's also a bunch of them that the Israelis re-barreled for 7.62 NATO, which makes them a bit cheaper to shoot.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9dBfXFxzwY

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

I'm in the same boat on the bullpup book, but I'll be there with bells on when they start the campaign for the Russian Automat book.

It's tempting to get the bullpup book for pretty-book/collection-completion reasons, but I think I'll hold out and wait for Max's inevitable treasure trove of never-printed-in-english-before information on Russian rifles.

The possible Ian follow up on Chinese rifles interests me a bit more too.

I'm really glad Headstamp Publishing is a thing. You bet your rear end I'll pre-order whatever book they do about Czech stuff under the brand.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Somebody Awful posted:

All this Mauser talk and not a word about the Vz 24?

Keep thinking about looking into one of these, but it means getting into 8mm mauser.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

This goes here I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd5aegj-6qo

Even though it's technically guntube and technically about 22s.

Whole bunch of training rifles about to be destroyed unless a government agency (CMP) buys them up.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

I canít watch the video right bit but theyíre in government hands right?

Iím guessing the problem will be a foreign regulation about not selling military arms onto the secondary market.

Yeah, UK Ministry of Defense, this FOI says that they won't sell them on the secondary market themselves, but would sell them to another government entity. CMP could buy them up and sell them.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

A lot of them went to Israel too.

And yeah, half the fun of them is shooting .30 carbine. The other half is the milsurp history stuff IMO. It being a mini-garand thing is incidental.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Somebody Awful posted:

The Kickstarter for Thorneycroft to SA80 is over. The final score was $579,585.59 from 4122 backers, making it the 11th largest publishing project on KS. It was a hair short of being the 10th largest, but still a good show I think.

A drat good show. I'm glad that Headstamp Publishing is finding success, and I hope to slam-preorder their supposed next offering.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Action-Bastard posted:

Based on the clues he's been dropping it looks like his next book will be on pre-Mao Chinese small arms, or specifically Chinese Mausers.

Well, I implied the non-Ian offering that seems to be next on the platter: Max Popenker's chronology of automatic Russian rifles.

Ian's endeavours in Chinese rifles interest me too, that Max AK book though.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I forgot to ask, are M1 Carbine mags designed to be stored loaded? I have no idea how long the ammo was in those mags before I got them.

Yeah, they were designed to be ready to use for the war, and designed to be disposable like a STANAG.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Aftermarket M1 carbine mags are generally rear end regardless. Just stick to USGI/KCI

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

KCI are also so ubiquitous that I'm having a hard time thinking of non-KCI aftermarket carbine mags.

Saying "all aftermarkets are poo poo stick with KCI" is kind of like saying "all aftermarket AR15 mags are poo poo, stick with USGI or Magpul." Like, it's not wrong, but you've just included the majority of the mags out there.

Stay away from promag and auto ordinance, and other general aftermarket that isn't KCI, I guess.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

my kinda ape posted:

Got a CZ-52 with both 7.62Tok and 9mm barrels. That's not a blued finish right? It doesn't have the arsenal rework markings.

Steyr GB for scale.

Nope, looks pretty OG finish to me, nice find! Now you gotta source some OG bakelite grips to complete it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

One of those in OP please, or both.