Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Stravag posted:

Theres at least 1 m16 that someone stole from an armory and was registered by someone else because of the immunity period at the closing of the registry. Dont know the model but gun jesus did a vid on one

Huh, that's really interesting. I wonder if there are any that got taken home in foot lockers in the shuffle of soldiers getting shipped home at the end of Vietnam.

Do you have a link to that video? I watched one yesterday of a suppressed Grease Gun that was dropped to a partisan fighter during WW2 and the US never asked for it back so it's in a private collection now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I feel like milsurp vs posurp is kind of a pointless distinction to make given how borderline impossible it is to determine provenance of a lot of stuff from Warsaw pact / third world countries that eventually got surplussed off. It only really works for modern US PoSurp or places with absolutely anal documentation policies Germany

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

What's a good price range for a Manurhin P38 or P1? I assume less than the wartime P38s?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I think he was talking about the 1917 posted upthread.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Cyrano4747 posted:

are there any rifle/pistol/shotgun combos that all share the same model year? Would be a fun three gun gimmick.

Was there an 1873 shotgun? You've got the SAA and Winchester there. I feel like there's a lot less options for shotguns, seems like more year-designated guns were pistols or rifles than shotguns.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I just need to move somewhere that I have room to store powder someplace more than 5 feet (granted through a wall) from my head while I sleep.

I mean I guess I could put it in the crawlspace if I could find a waterproof box that wouldn't be a pipe bomb, but then I risk blowing up the supports holding up half the house.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

What's wrong with that picture? I'm not seeing anything.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Ah, I thought it was something to do with the rear sight. I didn't think about that. Why would you change that as part of the closed bolt conversion, anyway?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Well I did once see a guy who made his own mill out of 2x4s and set it on a kitchen table, so maybe that mill.

Not sure if this would go better in the general thread or here, but if I wanted an Australian gun, are there any options aside from Lee-Enfields and the modern bolt-actions that Lithgow makes? Excluding FA Owen Guns It's probably not a "soon" thing, but I realized that at this point I have a gun from every continent except Australia, Asia, and Antarctica, but the last one doesn't really count due to a lack of industry in the area for some reason. There's plenty of options for Asia between Howa, pre-ban Norinco, Daewoo, most of Russia, or some of Turkey, but Australia seems like it never really had much of a firearms industry.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

LingcodKilla posted:

I thought I smelled something. Heya Beno

Ghosts don't smell, you're thinking of zombies.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Somebody Awful posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yldR9KHngHc

Today Ian talks about the time Italy tried to screw over Ethiopia with a deceptive treaty and Ethiopia kicked Italy's rear end.

Is this related to when Ethiopia tricked all of the major colonial powers into believing they were volunteering to become a vassal state so they would get modern weaponry and then used four or five countries worth of military aid to maintain their independence? That was pretty much the only bright spot in the colonialism section of the college history class I took.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Post ITT if someone finds one with No Pasaran carved into the stock, tia.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

That Cyrano word cloud where "gently caress" is twice as large as any other word, but in German.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Sten Freak posted:

Yeah as Cyrano said they (KCI) makes 15s. AIM surplus has them for $12.

I didn’t hand you the M2 when you came by because it looks just like an M1 with a goofy brake and easy to miss selector. But we should go shoot it sometime. I need to take it out more. It’s a handful in a fun way, real fast and light.

Any chance of me third wheeling? I've never gotten to shoot an M1, let alone an M2.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Yeah, them they got bought. I remember staring at their listings for $500 Vz.58s and PSLs longingly.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Hey Cyrano, you've still got two kidneys right?

https://dwjimports.com/imported-rifles?product_id=90

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Cyrano4747 posted:

Goddamn. Not a bad price either.

The company is Cole's / CDI under a new name after CDI went bankrupt from a warehouse fire. I ordered a CZ-85 from them last year, very responsive and fast shipping.

I don't think it comes with the scope, though, so that's a downside.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I saw a guy that had two pretty heavily customized CZs listed as having "cajum" parts (Cajun Gun Works is one of the two biggest CZ custom work shops).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Is it possible you've still got some cosmoline gumming things up?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Godholio posted:

Annual forums drama nuke.

I mean the last one was around New Years so we're 8 months early.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Action-Bastard posted:

Yeah Royal Tiger are scammy fucks, like Classic Arms.

What's the story on this? They're a branch of... Interarms, maybe? Ian did a video saying he had made plans to visit them this month to look at the M1 carbines and Carcanos they have coming in, I'd think that if they were going to be in crappy condition they wouldn't risk him coming and finding a piece of junk, even if they tried to hand-pick the nicest few for him to look at.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Armslist is craigslist for guns, pretty much. Some shops will put their stuff up on there, but otherwise I'd stick with local listings for the same reason I wouldn't Paypal someone $600 for something on Craigslist.

Standard Craigslist "be safe" rules also apply, although in CO you have to have a FFL do a background check on any transfer that's not immediate family or C&R-eligible (maybe other exceptions I don't know off the top of my head), so I don't have to worry about that so much.

Everybody posting cool poo poo that they want to buy with their stimulus checks is making it really hard for me to be responsible and use mine to pay off debt, I want an M1 Carbine too. Or AR upgrade parts, or to get my CZ slide milled, or, or, or.

E: I looked at the price of those M1 carbines, that helped, I don't $1,000-$1,400 after shipping and transfer want one.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 17, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Sten Freak posted:

IBM M1. CMP gun, rearsenaled. It's the only gun out of the 6 total I've owned (I've sold 2) that I can say definitely went through a full rearsenal as it has a turned down crown.

drat, that's a lot of carbines. If you ever decide to sell one shoot me a PM. I don't know if I'll have the money at any given point, but an M1 is definitely up there on my fun guns list.

E: Cyrano, not trying to do sales on the forum, don't ban me. Sten and I live like an hour away from each other.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

McNally posted:

I'm not sure if it's the action, the snap caps, my specific Spencer, or some combination of these factors but it's a little finicky and prone to jams.

I can see how the hammer being a separate action can be a sticking point, too.

From what I remember their biggest issues were the lever not being a full circle, so you had to shift your grip to close it, possibly a more awkward / longer throw but I don't remember for sure, the hammer being a separate action, and the fact that the Henry 1860 was created at the same time, which fixed all of those things and held somewhere around twice as much ammo.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Yeah, that's more like the 1899 version of one of those godawful Rah Rah America (boo muslims) country songs from immediately after 9/11 that were celebrated rather than denounced as hate speech.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I'm not sure what the confusion is about the idea of lyrics talking about civilizing people of a different ethnicity by shooting them being racist.

Especially since, you know, we were doing that whole Philippines thing then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

The only gun book I really want was the Textbook of Pistol Technology and Design by a designer who worked at Walther, but when I last looked it was out of stock on Amazon, which is the only place to buy it Stateside. It was in stock on amazon.de but A) I didn't want to risk the listing being wrong about it being the English version and B) I didn't want to pay to ship it across the Atlantic.

I've also got a couple PDFs of publicly available US Government documents on firearms physics and design saved on a computer somewhere that I should really find and put on my eBook reader.