Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

At least the Auto-5 is relatively easy to strip and disassemble. The M2, if it is assembled incorrectly, will fire the barrel out the front and a rod out the back. In short, long-recoil is a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

Oh boy I can get a third gun with a hosed up chamber!!

The Brownell's barrel dropped straight into my MKII 1/2, FWIW. Can that thing be exported to the States with stock in that condition? Make a proto-hush-puppy with a stocked, suppressed BHP.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Incidentally, this poo poo is why I jumped at those m91/30 snipers a few years ago. Something being imported? Yeah, that's about as guaranteed as you're going to get these days. Once it gets to the US and provenance gets murky you can't assume anything.

I remember you saying that and a bunch of us jumping on the deal before they sold out.

Import marks are standardized by placement, style, and depth of engraving. With more recently imported arms, that might be a good tool for weeding out of fakes.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Action-Bastard posted:

Not looking for a new project buuuut....

https://www.apexgunparts.com/parts-kits.html

Some really awesome parts kits here at reasonable prices, how hard is it to source a receiver or barrel for some of these?

Wow. Lots of old Yugo stuff there. The MP40 copy is kinda neat.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nasty Old Randy posted:

While scrubbing the rust off an Oviedo mauser I bought off gunbroker I found a cockroach smashed in the trigger assembly. Will removing the cockroach hurt the collector value? I am unsure if the cockroach is original.

Bury it with full honors. Plant a teeny tiny Spanish flag on it's grave while "La Cucaracha" plays in the background.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

*posts cracked G43 reciever*

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

No don't. Things are stressful enough right now.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

gently caress #27

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Lol.

e: Saw this on ebay, thought of the milsurp thread.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 1, 2020

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

There are several entries in the Leper's Colony to that effect, what the gently caress?

Read the latest announcement by Cyrano. Radium's code pranked us all in the end.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

No, it's even better than that. Cyrano is a loving artist.

Loooool.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

You also see svt40s converted to .303 up there.

Wat. Now I wanna see an SVT chambered in 8mm Lebel. Just go whole-hog batshit. Mosins in 30-40, lol.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Canadian TFR gangtag: Spare Pahrts.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I haven't bought anything with my C&R license since Classic Arms was run by the guy that liked to list everything with Capslock on was running it. What's the current rundown of goon-approved C&R places to buy weird old guns that do a good job of sending non-hand-grenade guns to you?

JGsales has some poo poo for not totally unreasonable prices. I've dealt with them before: good pics, good descriptions, and very responsive customer service. You will get what it says on the box. JG also lists all C&R guns together, to make it easier to shop. They even break it down between military C&R and civilian C&R.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

can I delete someone else's post from my brain

Here is a :nms:palette cleanser:nms: for you.

mod edit: put in some tags on that bad boy

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MadBimber posted:

for what it's worth JG sales has a shitload of C&R firearms currently, way more than when I checked last. admittedly that was probably 6-8 months ago. Even some P14 Enfields on sale which are really weird to see outside of an auction.

+ a wacky franken arisaka with an M1 rear sight https://www.jgsales.com/japanese-arisaka-38-bolt-action-carbine,-6.5x50,-koishikawa,-g-vg,-c-r,-used.-p-102234.html(???)

I think they bought up an entire collection of Japanese firearms a year or two ago, hence all the Nambu pistols and stuff. Maybe Ian's dad decided to thin out his collection, lol.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Prof. Banks posted:

Those are definitely odd. It looks like they're angled towards the butt for some reason.

A quick kick to break it out the snow with crampons on, a la Swiss rifles?

Could just be damage in storage from the conscript who has to inspect them every 10 years. Damage during packaging and shipping, hammering nails into a crate?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

HAHAHA wtf is this?!

Should I join? I bet there'll be a lot of chud talk. I'd probably get banned pretty quickly.

How's your faith in humanity? I'd join if you want to lower it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Same. If the seller screws me I want a way to fight back. I can't do that if I directly give them money. I can do a charge back with a credit card. If that means I can't buy a gun I want then I guess I'm not buying that gun.

I got my M48 from Classic! I was expecting worse but again it's not too bad on the outside. I think the stock looks good considering my expectations. Bolt and receiver don't match, naturally. It's dirty as hell. Not cosmoline. Just... dirt. That's not good. The stock is really grimy. There is a little rust on the end of the barrel which worries me a bit. The barrel is also filled with dirt so hopefully it cleans up well.

We'll have to wait and see after I clean it. I took the chance with Classic so I deserve whatever I get.

How would you guys recommend cleaning this. I'm going to have to take the whole thing apart and go to town on it. I don't think Hoppe's solvent is going to cut it. I have mineral spirits that I've used before in the past and got a big plastic tub and just soaked stuff in there. How about the stock? It's pretty grimy. Can I just use the mineral spirits on that?

So far I'm pleased with the outside. I didn't expect much. The real test is after I clean it and see how the barrel looks. Who knows. I hope that rust cleans off well and it doesn't go far into the barrel. We all knew I took a chance. It was only $400 so I'm not super invested in it.

It looks like it came out of a shed in Banja Luka after sitting there for twenty years. Which it might have.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

What's the difference between boiled and raw LO? I read that M1 carbines were only finished with raw but I've never heard of raw linseed oil in any other context.

IIRC, blo has binders and dryers in it, while raw is just that. Raw is a bit harder to work with in my limited experience.

I've helped do a floor with raw to beautiful result. Took forever to do correctly and we went through tons of rags. poo poo'll catch on fire, yo. I've redone a Marlin 60 stock with blo, maybe 15 coats, polished in between. Took about a month giving it a day to dry between coats. Done plenty of knife handles as well but those don't get the same attention, just a buff and new coat as needed. Wax to seal in all cases.

Never worked with tung oil, but it's supposed to be correct for some USGI surplus.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

I got a romanian tokarev a couple months ago and now I and all my friends are in love with 7.62x25 but not so much the TT-33C itself. What kind of livestock do I have to sacrifice and to whom to get a double stack striker pistol in this cartridge?

Comedy option: PPS43 pistol.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Miso Beno posted:

besides having a lot of money what do i need to do to immigrate to malta?

I don't think they'll accept a death certificate as proof of ID. :ghost:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

N17R4M posted:

Yeah, my swivel is on the side of the gun. Like it's not assembled wrong or anything, it's made like that. It also has space to mount the swivel like that. There's an extra screw slot on mine, if that makes sense?

Why can't I ever end up with a non-weird gun. :downs:

What's the European equivalent to Bubba the home fun-smith? Bauer Willi, heim Büchsenmacher?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

People on twitter were trying to figure out the mid-east equivalent of bubba for awhile but I'm not sure if they ever came up with anything that stuck. Some of those guns in Iraq/Syria/Yemen are wild.

Not quite middle east, but I imagine they operate something like the fellas on Pakistani truck channel.

Gun-Ghazi, conqueror of the .30 bore.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Fearless posted:

So I got a bottle of that Feed 'N Wax for some of my milsurps and something seems to be wrong with it. It does have a lovely citrus scent, but I've had a few swigs from the bottle and none of the finishes on my rifle stocks appear to be more lustrous, nor the wood better nourished. I'll keep working at it and report back.

Whatever floats your goat and finds your lost pontoon boat. Me, I'm a Hoppe's man. Banana-y goodness, mm-mmm.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MadBimber posted:

...maybe I COULD fire my m95 more than once.

Consider this, human existence describes a circle. Out of space and time, an over one hundred year old utterance flutters into the mouth of one frustrated surplus rifle owner, MadBimber. Follow on a manic journey that leads to a cardboard box under old blankets in some guy's spare bedroom closet. See as he enters into a mad world of fire-formed brass, case lube, and resizing dies. MadBimber has entered... the milsurp zone.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Savage 720 or Remington Model 11?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Missing Name posted:

I really need to find which FFL'S are open around me, gotta get in on that Garand action I've pushed off for years.

drat NY.

The Hudson/Green Federal Lock Amateur Preservation Society (HudGFLAPS) would like to remind you that using our slogan, in whole or in part, constitutes a breach of our copyright. We ask that you cease, desist, and buy that rifle.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MadBimber posted:

but enough about my house

What are you doing in my house? Whatever, just keep your mitts off the GP11.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man I need to go out and burn the last of my GP11 just so I have a good reason to buy some 7.5 dies and see what that rifle can do with handloads.

"Hey, this rifle shoots sub-1-moa now! Better get diopter sights. I could really use one of those bipod adaptors, too. And an extended recoil pad and...", all of a sudden you're taking bi-yearly trips to Switzerland, your luggage stinks of Gruyere, and half your wardrobe is suede leather.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Somebody Awful posted:

I keep thinking about picking up a 96/11 but then I look at how much 7.5x55 costs now and remember I have a very nice Swedish m/96 I should be handloading for already. :effort:

"Hey, this rifle shoots sub-1-moa now! Better get diopter sights. I could really use one of those bipod adaptors, too. And an extended recoil pad and...", all of a sudden you're taking bi-yearly trips to Sweden, your luggage stinks of Adelost Blue, and half your wardrobe is hideous knit sweaters.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Missing Name posted:

Ok, so I actually have two weeks off from work. Pennsylvania and Ohio are covid safe zones per NY standards. Passing through the rural areas only increases safety...

A 6 hour road trip to personally pick out my CMP Garand in Ohio suddenly sounds like a great idea.

Bring gas cans and food, that way you don't have to stop anywhere.

I don't get the rationale behind taking trips right now. "The state government said it's fine.", "I haven't gone anywhere else.", "We are only going through the country.", blah, blah, all wishful thinking. The power of positive bullshit.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

That is 7.62x65r.

My guess is that they tried to streamline the ~.30 lines.

Do they make any .303 or 7.7 Arisaka? I’m curious enough to buy a few boxes and measure.

200 round box of PPU .303 174gr.

They have a rather wide selection.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Quite proud of my most recent milsurp pic.

Nice! The wear on the shellac forward of the front barrel band is A-OK. They were shellaced at the arsenal to help preserve the wood, it's expected to come off. The scope caps look to be in good condition, too. Those things are annoying when they get worn.

What year rifle, what year scope? Are there markings on the scope? There should be a symbol for the factory that made it on the tube.

e: Molot gun? We have a few of those in TFR.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Yeah that kinda sums up my feelings on it. Maybe it'd be cool. I have access to CNC machines, so I'd be able to, with a little effort, make something that could hold the optic just right if need be.

I've tried a few modern scopes, some fixed mag (they were all cheap, which may affect my judgements of them - they weren't bad, just kinda whatever) and some variable mag. The two variable mags I've used (including this guy's) were decent scopes in the $300 range I'm pretty sure - I'd have to check.

Part of it is also wanting to use an older style optic for an older gun, it just kinda feels right to me. I'll look into optics a lot more before I do anything.

KSA .22 Mosin with a home-brew PU mount. If you want a project, that might be it. Good project, fun at close and medium range, cheap ammo, break it who cares.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Missing Name posted:

I scuffed my Mauser when the front band wouldn't come off until I threw it in a vise and hammered it off

Would a pair of snap-ring pliers, minus tips, work here? Pry it open and slide a thin piece of tough plastic (think a scrap from beef jerky bags) underneath, then hammer away?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

News at 3:15. Ian would like to do a series of videos on Turkish Mausers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRjBb0axVlE

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Bottom of the stack-grade. It wasn't even a nice rifle to begin with, judging by the beaver marks on the receiver.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Hey K31 havers, any of y'all ever try out those polymer chargers?

https://www.amazon.com/SCHMIDT-POLYMER-PIECES-Northridge-International/dp/B01EGRZSLS

Kinda interesting, I really don't use the cardboard ones but they're getting scarce and apparently somewhat valuable so I've just been loading the mag manually.

Speaking of mags, someone makes a 10 round polymer K31 mag now.

https://www.rocksolidind.com/swiss-k31-10-round-magazines-are-available-now-in-the-online-store/

I asked about those chargers a few years ago and never got an answer. It looks like they've further developed them, so that's probably a good sign. When they first came out the chargers were an almost translucent blue polymer and didn't have any text or the Swiss cross molded in.

The only problem I can see is if the retaining tabs break off, 25 bucks for a pack of two is a bit expensive for something I doubt can be repaired.
Then again, it's not like the original chargers retain cartridges all the securely in the first place.

I like how easy the K31 is to load with loose rounds. Just dump a small handful through the top, lightly bump them down into the mag, and swipe anything that didn't fit off to the side. Good job, Mr. magazine designer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

prophet45 posted:

If I remember correctly, a lot of them were converted by Kongsberg Våpenfabrikk and transferred from the national guard to volunteer firearms clubs, replacing the older krag. The clubs were a sort of partnership between army and civilians, designed to promote sports shooting as part of national defence.
A lot of them have had their stocks replaced and sporterized by the clubs later on.
You can also find a whole lot of 98s in 30.06.
Up until fairly recently they were also very popular for hunting in Norway, but they are rapidly being replaced with more modern weapons, so if you can figure out how to transfer them out of country, they can often been had for less than 200-ish ameribucks.

(Just a disclaimer, this is all off the top of my head; I may be way off on a lot of this)

I forget who told us about them (MoosePoop?, but he's Swedish), but it was here in TFR.

Paraphrasing: "A captured K98 with an aluminum scope mount is the bare minimum for hunting Moose. It is called the "Moose Moped".