Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Somebody Awful posted:

Just remembered my C&R runs out in a few months. If it's anything like the last time, my renewal packet should arrive any day now.

I just renewed mine. Acquired 9, ditched 1. Am I doing it right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

LordOfThePants posted:

A couple of folks in here got CMP 1911's right?

I sent in my packet and heard absolutely nothing from them. I figured I had forgotten to check a box or something and they just threw it out.

They called me today. I haven't called them back yet because it was after they were closed when I got the VM.

Kind of on the fence about buying one. I'm leaning towards getting one even though I'm trying to save up some cash to build a new shop on my property. I seem to recall the couple of folks who had them were generally happy with the quality they received?

Wow yeah I never heard anything from them either. I wonder if they'll still call me?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My C&R license is going to expire in July. I read on the ATF website that they'll SHOULD send me a form 90 days before it's up. I don't really trust that. It said that I need to fill out a Form 8 part 2? maybe? and I can't find it in their list of forms. It goes from form 7 to 9. Ugh.

Have you guys received your paperwork from them when your license was about to expire?

I got a letter in the mail when it was time to renew, and it was a very simple process. I would trust that you'll get something, assuming that this covid-19 chaos doesn't last forever.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

DkHelmet posted:

I have 6. I may have a problem.

Nothing about this seems problematic. You and mosins fit the "N+1" category criteria in my head.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

So how would I get involved in the CMP? I guess I have to join some sort of gun organization and I've done an Appleseed shoot but how would I go about proving that?

The site has pretty good lists of what counts and what doesn't. I have an FFL03 and LTCF and combined, they met the requirements.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

The garand purchase process is pretty painless and I would expect it to ship in less than 2 weeks, barring all this covid-19 insanity. Those of us waiting for notification from them and talking about it recently were all discussing the 1911 purchase process, which was more obnoxious and not at all transparent.

Basically for a garand you print the pdf and make sure you do all the steps and include all the right docs, then get it notarized and send it off. Then within a few weeks a rifle shows up at your door.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Is there any point in including my C&R license in my Garand application? As far as I'm reading they'll just send it to your home anyway.

They just mail it to your house. The FFL03 does count towards one of their requirements though, so include it if you are using it for that purpose.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Ok cool. I scanned it anyway along with my CCW. I got the 2A form notarized just now and it's sitting in my mailbox ready to go on it's journey. The site said about 30-45 days so I hope that's accurate with all of this going on right now.

Pretty sure it'll end up being 30 to 45 days from whenever they re-open, maybe longer if they get backed up with requests that came in while they're shut down. It'll be worth it in the end though!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Aim surplus sometimes gets good C&R as well, but they have basically nothing right now.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Alright, so I'm getting ready to go through CMP to buy a garand from them once they open. Trying to get my ducks in a row first.
So, to check:
1. I joined the GCA, and told them to send my membership to the CMP too
2. I'm a US citizen, and can include a copy of passport
3. I can legally own a gun (I assume they will check this, and I don't need to include any additional paperwork to prove it?)
4. Firearm activity So, I don't have a hunting license or a ccw permit. While I should get around to getting those, right now I'm planning on taking CMP's document to my local range and have the range SO fill it out for me. I'll call before and confirm they are willing to do so, but has anyone gone this route before?

So, if I'm understanding things correctly, I'll print off their order form, put in all the documents + check, and then just mail it to them and wait?

Once it eventually arrives, I need to clean the cosmoline off of it, and then look into ordering a modern gas block right?

Goons, I don't wanna mess up a cool old gun.

You have to get it notarized also

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sten Freak posted:

Anyone here like really early classy .32 autos.

Check out the nitre blue and finish on this:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/865281422

drat that's pretty

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

What can I use around the house to push into very faint markings on a gun? A lot of the marking on top of the Mauser's receiver are just gone, but there's enough there to be legible.

If you just want to get a better read and/or photo of them, rub some chalk in for contrast.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

I was under the impression that if you did basically anything to change a gun from the original configuration, it was no longer eligible to be transfered as C&R. That includes cerakote, swapping to modern grips, changing out sights, etc. Now, if it was legally transfered to you as C&R in original configuration and you then made those modifications yourself, that is allowed, but you then can't pass it on again C&R without restoring it to the original configuration.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, welcome to what I've been saying for a decade and one of the giant, huge, throbbing gray areas in Milsurp.

Some people get super militant and insist that, for example, replacing the gas cylinder on a G/K43 for shooting makes it no longer a C&R. Others hold that if it's reversible modification you can put it back to C&R, which then gets into this weird situation where C&R is apparently a status that a gun can have or lose and get back again, which kind of flies in the face of all the other ATF gun status poo poo like once a MG always an MG and the whole twisted tale of how SBRs are made.

And what if the modifications themselves are old enough to be C&R in that configuration? What if you've got some vet's bringback K98k that was turned into a deer rifle in the 50s? It's not original configuration but the work was long enough ago that if it was new manufacture it would be C&R.

THEN you get into stuff like replacement parts. If I buy a Garand that has a cracked stock and different stock on it, is it still C&R? What if I put a new production stock that is more or less identical to an original military stock? What if I put some tacticool stock on it?

The reality is that you can find people all over armslist and GB selling poo poo like tacticlol SKSs as C&R eligable and I've never noticed the ATF raid anyone's house over it, but it's probably not quite kosher.

My personal take is that it has to be in the original configuration, but I figure that replacement parts are OK. The whole thing is a mess, though, and isn't defined for poo poo.

edit: Oh, to really confuse things the ATF has clarified that stripped receivers are NOT original configuration and thus not C&R eligible. So I can mail a FFL03 a whole Garand but if I send them a stripped receiver I need to send it to an FFL01.

. . . which, uh, just muddies the waters even more to be honest.

Your take aligns with my take, which is that replacement parts are perfectly fine as long as they are "like for like" so to speak. Replacing a stock with a modern repro would be acceptable, but replacing it with a modern synthetic tactical stock would not. All your other points are perfectly reasonable WTF questions to ask, but I think "original configuration" is pretty clear whether it makes sense as a meaningful restriction or not. I'm not going to go argue about it in public though because I like being able to have 50+ year old stuff online and have shipped to my house. I did go through a background check and all that nonsense and the ATF has me on file, so I don't personally see a problem with it.

The antique line though I agree is somewhat different, especially as we cross the line from only muzzleloaded guns being in that age range and into things that are cartridge based. That said, if someone went out and bought a brace of modern muzzle loader pistols, or even just one pistol with several cylinders, they actually could do enough damage to make the news before they were stopped.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

flightless greeb posted:

The C&R line is the one that moves, being 50 years ago from Right Now. The antique line is static, pre-1899 and that's it.

Oh, I thought it moved as well! Good to know.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

DkHelmet posted:

They’re fun.

I'm going to follow up with you about this at some point. I like.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Hey after having never heard anything from CMP regarding my 1911 submission, they called me today. I couldn't chat right then but I'll call them back tomorrow and see what I can get.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

My service grade CMP 1911 came in - Ithaca 1911a1 frame with a Remington slide. Anyone here knowledgable about shipping dates and/or what some of these markings mean?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah FJA is Frank J Atwood who is the correct inspector for a '45 Ithaca like that frame. I believe SA does mean Springfield Armory (the real one) did a rearsenal on it. Looks better than my rack grade I'm still waiting to pick up, nice find!

Are the Ithaca serial ranges up somewhere online? I figured this was probably 45 from the serial but I couldn't find shipping dates.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah on proofhouse.com although not specific down to more than a year range. That serial dates to 44-45, not exactly sure which year even.

Edit: According to https://www.amazon.com/1911A1-Milit...94144563&sr=8-1 which I've referred to many times over the years, 1.85m-1.89m serial range are 1945 Ithacas designated for "General Stores".

Huh, neat. I assume that means like general army weapons reserves, rather than a commerical general store?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

So if I plan on shooting this cmp 1911 a bunch, is it worthwhile to pick up a new barrel for it and just set this one aside? Or am I unlikely to put much wear on the barrel unless I really get into a high round count with it?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I wouldn’t worry about it. I mean it’s possible to wear out a pistol barrel (see some of the clapped out as gently caress c96’s out there) but it takes a lot more work than a rifle barrel.

Just have fun with your gun. If you find yourself ordering cases of .45 multiple times a year maybe give it a thought but until you bit that point don’t sweat it.

Yeah I won't be at multiple cases a year for sure. Probably something like 500 - 1k a year. This is my first 45, although I've shot a few others that my friends have. Once I have a bunch of 45 on hand I suspect I'll pick up an USP tactical and maybe something else.

Funny how that works.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Miso Beno posted:

Would recommend going with an 18.5lbs recoil spring and its corresponding firing pin spring.

Thanks, I'll look online and see what's available.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

I had 4 vz-24s out this weekend. A Sao Paulo rebellion one in 7mm and 3 in 8mm, from '37, '38, and '39. I only had about 70 yards to play in, but had fun ringing at that distance. All 3 of the 8mm mausers have really nice crests.

armorer fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 27, 2020

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Use two slings each for maximum stability.

Gorgeous set of rifles there.

Ha, yeah I have no idea why they all have dual sling mounts like that. I hadn't ever thought about it actually!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also is it just me or is “international harvester” a really loving grim name for a company making rifles.

Yikes, yeah I'd never thought about it that way before.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is the real answer. The reality is that no matter how much conservation work you do paper and ink will rot and go away. Even if you keep it fine for your lifetime there are much higher chances of a leaky roof just making GBS threads all over it or something else befalling it. Digitize it and cloud back ups.

I’ve got a few family docs that i managed to digitize as they were barely on the cusp of being dust. I think the paper will last a bit longer but having that snapshot of before the degradation got too bad is invaluable.

I agree that digitizing it is a good idea, but it's possible to frame a work on paper such that it will survive a leaky roof just fine, and last for several hundred years with no meaningful decay. It helps if the paper is acid free to begin with, but there are deacidifying and buffering products you can use as well. The real issue is fire, but that can destroy your backups as well.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Never not digitize and backups aren’t backups if they’re stored locally.

I’m coming at this from a background of having done digitization and conservation work on a collection that was not digitized and that owner thought was safe from environmental hazards.

He was wrong.

I’ll admit that it’s over kill but if it’s something you care about digitization is easy even if it’s only snapping some good quality, well lit photos with your camera phone. That’s good enough for great grandmas birth certificate if you just want to make sure the family has an image of it. You can do better but a very basic level of preserving that kind of thing is accessible to everyone today.

I think we're largely in agreement. I'm not saying you shouldn't digitize stuff (although for some really specific stuff, scanning it can damage it). You definitely should and you should keep a backup offsite. I'm just saying that there are ways of preserving paper that will last a very long time if done right, even in less than ideal environmental conditions. It would be very expensive to have someone frame stuff like that in a shop, but the materials aren't all that expensive if you know how to do it yourself.

Most of the time when you get something framed, it is essential sandwiched against glass, and bordered by the frame. You can instead create a capsule of sorts, using UV glass or plexi, acid free mat board, and acid free foam core, then sealing the sides and back of that capsule further with tyvek tape. Then that thing gets framed. Properly done, it provides a fair bit more defense against moisture intrusion.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

I bought one from aim surplus almost exactly a year ago for $199, although the top rear of the grip panels were chipped so it was cheaper. I think they had "good" ones for $249 then. If you get it, I suggest finding some real surplus mags. Mine runs great on the surplus mag it came with and the ones I got later. I got some new production mags first though and they were jam city, even after trying to lube them with some graphite.

In fact if you get it and want some very-likely-to-ftf mags for free, let me know and I'll drop them in the mail.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

My dad applied to the CMP 1911 draw lottery a year and a half ago or whenever it was, and got an email today from a @thecmp.org email address saying he'd been selected to purchase one. Is that still ongoing/has anyone else gotten a late email? It lists a phone number to call in the next five business days and I'll be doing that with him tomorrow. A quick look at their site seems to point to it still going on, in which case I am stoked.

I got mine late last year as well.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

A smudge of white chalk can make them easier to read sometimes, but the shop may not appreciate that. Otherwise, take a pic and zoom in on your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Milsurp Megathread No.2 Mk.3*: Screwing is hard