Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Cyrano you gently caress you got me browsing AIMSurplus and while it ain't milsurp I see a .22 1911 and gently caress I want it and it's affordable. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Really tempted to get one of those non-firing Enfields because I want an Enfield to gently caress around with and to just go 'ooo an Enfield' and the ones that go bang are getting hideously expensive as time goes on.

Edit: Would it be an incredibly stupid idea to buy a non-firing Enfield with the long term goal of buying a sporterized one as a target of opportunity and restoring it with the furniture?

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 10, 2020

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Fearless posted:

I'm unfamiliar with the market for non-firing Enfields, but I've seen the ones that have been professionally deactivated and turned into drill rifles-- there's no going back with those. Which type would you be looking for as a sporter? SMLEs are very common in Canada as bubb-eh'd deer rifles, but restoring them is a very complex task due to how the stock supports the barrel. No. 4s are far less difficult to fix up.

Not sure how common sportered Enfields are in the US though. They've always been cheap in Canada, but have nearly doubled in price over the past few months.

I meant buying one of those de-activated ones and using it as a means to get familiar with the internals and such of the rifle, then using the parts as a means to de-gently caress a Bubba'd Enfield I find for cheap later down the road.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Somebody Awful posted:

Watch Gunbroker for a bit and you can probably still find a complete and working one for not much more than you'd pay for the drill purpose plus the sporter.

That's a good point. Any good rules of thumb for watching gun broker and navigating it? I've only ever made one deal through it.

I miss browsing websites with horrible formats and looking for milsurp ads typed like Billy Mayes speaks. What are the good sites these days for browsing milsurp and guns in general? I've got Atlantic, AIM, Sportsman and J&G.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Appreciate the help. Mosins are about the only milsurp thing I know anything about, and even then, it ain't much. :toot:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Not grenades, but I've found mortar shells at local gun store. Vietnam era 81mm mortar rounds, 3 for hundo and change. What a bargain!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

By the way, the next time anyone asks "so why can't we have a cheap reproduction <antique gun requiring shitloads of intense machining>" uh, this is why.

Looking at you, Luger.

How are those .22 LR STGs? For 350 dollars they gotta be dogshit.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Action-Bastard posted:

Thats actually stamped steel and not milled. Totally different ball game.

While the GSG .22 STG 44s are cheap they are fun blasters.

Ah, gently caress. That explains a lot about why some of the repro WW-2 poo poo I'm seeing tends to be the SMGs.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Miso Beno posted:

thats probably the best damned value in milsurps right now.

I'm continually surprised on those rare occasions I see something like an old hex Mosin under 250. I swear I'm going to jump on the next one I see.

If it weren't for the virus I'd have checked a few pawn shops around. Still want one of those Remington Mosins and I'm pissed at myself for being broke the last time I saw one. It was very well priced, too. All the ones I see online are hideously expensive.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Mambo No. 5 posted:

All this carbine talk is making it harder to be responsible with my money.

Word. M1 Carbine is one of my bucket list guns. I want it. And I know I better buy one before the supply runs dry.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I kind of want to get a Mauser one of these days but I've never seen a 'real' one that wasn't Fudd-hosed to hell and have no idea what I'm looking at most of the time.

If I find a cheap Fudd thing that's still chambered for the original cartridge maybe I'll just buy one of those and find a stock to put it in idk. poo poo's expensive.

It's either that or buy a Yugo.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Jehde posted:

This goes here I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd5aegj-6qo

Even though it's technically guntube and technically about 22s.

Whole bunch of training rifles about to be destroyed unless a government agency (CMP) buys them up.

Holy gently caress I want one.

Edit: holy god drat they're expensive

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Are any of the M1 repros worth a drat as shooters or what? An M1 Carbine in 9mm would be fun as gently caress.

Edit: THIS IS ACTUALLY A THING PEOPLE MAKE?!?! fuckkkk tell me it's terrible so I don't buy one

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 28, 2020

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

DeesGrandpa posted:

The inland ones are supposedly ok but not as good as USGI, and not substantially cheaper. You can still get a USGI carbine under 1k and there's no reason to buy a repro yet.

Yeah. The price tag made me sad. What's wrong with the 9mm ones, anyways? Made poorly, or is the cartridge not suitable for making the gun function properly?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Ruger PCC looks interesting but then it also looks like some nerd poo poo.

The PPSh-stocked ones do look pretty dope tho. One of these days I'm going to need to get good at loving around with dremels to make my frankengun dreams a reality.

I will become a student of the 'gently caress around and see what happens' school of engineering.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Me, just starting to go over Poilu: "I should buy a French rifle, but I wouldn't get to shoot it much because of the ammo and they cost a lot. I know, I should get a WW-1 instead, they'll be cheaper and WW-1 is cool and gooooo-ah gently caress they're also expensive."

Also don't google 'french rifle for sale' if you want any useful results.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Check Gunbroker. It looks like you can get a Berthier for sub-500. Iím not seeing any lebels except one poor sporter but that might be my search terms being hosed.

Edit: note that I donít know what your definition of expensive is going to be. Theyíre not going to be. $200 rifles.

500+ for a rifle I'm not going to fire much is a high price but yeah, I see a few below that. They're definitely on the list of collection rifles for historical reasons and my unending fascination with WW-1.

But I'm also fairly confident that if I just wait long enough and browse enough pawn shops I'll find one much cheaper than I could online on the basis of Bubba not knowing what the gently caress it is in the budget bang barrel o'rifle.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Don't give money to Classic is the general rule, and I think PSA had grade 2's on sale recently.

Edit: out of stock.

Palmetto? Ain't they the dudes that have piss-awful credit card control?

If I didn't already have an SKS I'd consider a Chinese model. I'd consider one anyways if I had more income just because I like the gun and think it has some historical worth and it's bound to appreciate in value. Aside from the gooey trigger ( and I'm sure you can fix that ), they're not bad rifles. Lot of fun, actually. Easy to load.

If anyone does buy one tho, make sure you got a good vise and a punch for getting the retaining pin out of the bolt because it's real loving in there and you won't be able to clean out all that stupid loving cosmo without getting it all the way apart.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I'm still working on the stock on mine and it still stinks like cosmo. I love it.

When I bought my Yugo, it was smothered in the poo poo. The clerk handed it off to a cashier to ring me up, and she was wearing a fluffy pink turtleneck sweater. Brought it to her chest, as you do. By the time she set it down on the counter, she realized her hands were covered in grease, then looked at her chest, and made a face not unlike my avatar.

Dude 100% did it on purpose and it's still funny to me.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Got lost a little bit on gunbroker when I was trying not to think about stuff and wanted something non-stressful to focus on. Found out that there are a surprising amount of affordable French military arms from WW1, particularly pistols, if you bang on the search bar long enough.

I'm going to end up buying something stupid and French sometime. I can mle it in my bones.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Would have made a pretty good thread detailing what all went into that restoration. I'm jealous of all y'all people who have actual craft skills. I can bodge things into working but making something that looks good with tools and stuff is a foreign idea.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Jealous of the dudes that got surplus SKSs with battlefield folk art carved into the stocks. I think a few goons have Yugos that got that treatment.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

That looks like a hilarious gun to buy and never shoot.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

How y'all surf Gunbroker anyways? I've been wandering around looking at French poo poo and I just start punching in like 'Lebel' or 'mle' or 'mas' 'french' 'france'. Sometimes calibers, sometimes model year numbers.

The filters kind of suck.

Kinda wanna buy this: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867222066 because I'm dumb as shitttt

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I like turtles posted:

Uniques are fun little guns. I have a model L with the carbine stock, which lets you drop the barrel of the pistol out and slot the whole thing into a carbine for extra hilarity.

You are hosed when it comes to parts though. I have a 380 unique where the sear shattered and I've never been able to find a replacement.

I'm the kind of idiot that would buy a broken gun and just be happy with a neat little paperweight so this isn't necessarily a dealbreaker.

Also I just noticed that Royal Tiger has some gnarly looking WW2 Enfields on offer for cheap, C-grade. I'm a-pondering.

Limited missing parts, but Enfield parts should be easy to come by, and if I get one with a thrashed stock it would give me an excuse to learn something.

Or I could just wait.

Edit: I just commented to my father I was thinking of getting one. I learned that my uncle used to have one. I asked what happened to it, and he said, "He was drunk and shot his fridge with it, then decided he ought not have it anymore."

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 5, 2020

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

If the functionality of the Mosins varies that widely based on the year, it would explain why shooting my 1942 M38 is basically re-enacting the copy machine scene from Office Space between shots.

OTOH, it probably shot a Nazi.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Oh no I've started bidding on Gunbroker

Related question: How do you appraise the worth of a firearm besides 'gently caress around on Google and find out'?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Search completed GB suctions for similar guns. You want to see what they sell for not what they list for.

The later is something I have learned from countless hours of listening Pawn Stars while dad watches the """"""""""""""""history channel""""""""""""""""" in the next room

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Linking this because I found it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867384631

Fudd-hosed but looks good, mechanically. Seems like a very reasonable price for a shooting rifle, especially with those getting increasingly rare.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Out of curiosity, how do the American made Mosins rate? Still pissed I didn't buy that Remington Mosin.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty good from what I've heard. Solid quality, basically what you'd expect form early 20th C remington.

A hundred dollars. A hundred dollars! The things I could have bought when I was 20 and broke. :qq:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

DeesGrandpa posted:

Eh I was on board when we were cheaper than $100/mosin, and I never ran into a Remington (and I was looking). Those were pricier then too.

This is why I still have hope for local gunshops and yardsales and poo poo. Not everyone bothers looking online, and for some people, they're going to be like 'eh gently caress it, Mosin, seen those a hundred times', not knowing they had a Finn or something.

Not always. But sometimes if you're patient and you're like me wherein you love to pore over junk in a crowded, dusty-rear end shop, you'll find something weird or cool or undervalued.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Rando "mauser" I just saw.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867497581

Yep, that's a mauser alright.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867301570

Bolt action lust.

Cruising around on gunbroker when I'm bored has shown me that there's still plenty of WW1/WW2 bolt actions floating around, in various conditions of abuse. Which is fine if you're either looking for something to shoot, or just want to collect an example of a gun.

I was surprised how French WW1 rifles are both uncommon and not terribly expensive, for instance, with some exceptions.

Intact mum Arisakas are surprisingly cheap and common too, at least, the last ditch variety. Appreciate how loving long they can be.

Edit: On a related note, how much of a pain in the rear end would it be to lay an Enfield into a non-sporterized stock? Kind of curious if the sporterized ones are going for less than 200.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 9, 2020

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Bid on this poo poo yo

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867386223

Look at that beautiful Polsin Nagant.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Action-Bastard posted:

The magazine is hosed, the stock looks weird to me but that could be bad lighting.

Otherwise yes that's a good deal if it stays south of $400

I'd bid if it wasn't money order fuckery. Stock looks weird but even if it is a total wash, that's still a Polish Mosin for 250. gently caress it. Refinish the stock or slap it in an aftermarket and call it a day.

Fearless posted:

I've since gone back into the rifle and removed a little more wood in a few places to improve the fit and profile overall and it feels a lot more refined and less like an amateur job. I also intend to add another coat of BLO to the stock to darken it up a touch more but overall I am happy with it.

That's really cool. :unsmith: One Enfield I had an eye on has gone up enough to no longer be interesting, and the other has been bore-hosed by corrosive ammo. So I'm just going to wait. I know there's enough parts out there that I could take a decent sporterized rifle and fix it up later, in ways I wouldn't attempt for say, a Berthier with a cracked stock.

I watched a video about the rifle and know the bit about the barrel, hence why I was concerned about how difficult it would be fit new furniture. Ideally, I would actually like a World War 1 version of the rifle, but I wouldn't mind the more common No 4.

You did some beautiful work, and I hope I can do half as good if I start. Man, I need to buy some loving tools and start messing with wood sometime.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The Hungarian ones are some of the best regarded sniper Mosins, ain't they?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Hmmm. I'll have to keep that in mind. How does that work out if someone takes the MO and stiffs you? For that matter, how does GB handle credit card stuff?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

gently caress that then, I'll go with credit cards forever.

Anyways, I'm bored and winding down for sleep so I'm loving around on gunbroker more.

Anyone want a Nambu? Here's one going in 40 minutes, and it's sitting at 430 dollars. I know somebody wants one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866779446

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Love looking at rando milsurp and trying to figure out what the gently caress.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867496554

Stock cut, barrel cut (? maybe), no clear look at the markings except on the bolt.

But, that is a hex bolt. I'm curious if the stock has been refinished or not. This might be something worth bidding on if it stays low. Pictures loving blow tho.