Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

I picked up one of my (rather common) unicorns. An allegedly-unfired 1955 Polish Mosin M44.

Looking forward to shooting it once and never, ever letting anyone touch it for another 65 years. You may notice in the buttstock picture there's a bit of discoloration - that is my dog's outline when he laid his jowls down on it. Impressive how quickly it ate away at whatever it's sealed in; I'll likely put on a coat of tung oil or whatever else I have hanging around for my guitars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

I Demand Food posted:

That's a beauty.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for yours and is there something significant about a 1955 model as opposed to others?

I paid $900 CDN, which is about average for what they're going for up here. I see on gunpost another for that, and one for about $1300. One went for just over $600 and that's the lowest I've seen in my time looking.

quote:

If that's unfired, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Yeah I have no real illusions about a two-owner gun actually staying unfired. But it's in great shape at any rate.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Had a lovely day but noticed that a dude in the small town I happened to be in was selling this for cheap. So gently caress it, I now have a Jungle Carbine.

The wood is extremely pretty and pops. At some point someone put a beautiful hard, glossy coat on it.

The markings seem legit, and it's matching but for the magazine. The sights are proper No.5s. Everything matches up with the comparison pics to confirm it's definitely not a hosed-with No.4.

So what's wrong with it you may ask? loving Bubba'd barrel end somewhere in its lifetime.

Bore looks good, barrel overall is solid, but with no flash hider I'm looking forward to it making GBS threads fire or some other horrible mishap.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

I had an opportunity to shoot my Mosin M44 and Enfield Jungle last weekend, and here are my thoughts:
The Mosin is accurate, good to handle, great sights, a perfect bolt, the fireballs are a hoot...and jesus loving christ it's loud. So loud that I lost my hearing in my left ear despite wearing protection on my second shot and had to double up. I had a close look at the insides before shooting and it did in fact look unfired; there were no indications of cartridges ever cycling through the mechanism at any point. Pretty wild. I kept the first cartridge ever shot through it.

The Jungle is a perfect camp gun. It's light, fun to shoot, and beautiful. The sights are horrendous though and it doesn't help that the front post on mine is bubba'd (see above). I'm somewhat at a loss about how to fix them and the best solution might be just to become Bubba and get a scope mounted. Also, while I'm not wading into the debate about Wandering Zero, I had a close look at some slo-mo footage of us firing and the rear sights, when raised, wobble like loving crazy from the recoil. I wouldn't be surprised if, over time, they don't return to their original position by a fraction of a mm.

The Jungle has been named Baloo. The Mosin is still waiting for a name.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Accurate I believe but ďamazing boltĒ had me smiling and wanting to give him some quality time with a Mauser.

:kiddo:

I haven't had a chance to use one, so can't compare. That being said, I've spent time with Tikkas, Rem 700s, some random low-end Savage, and a few Enfields, and this M44 is my second-favorite bolt behind Tikka generally. I took it out right now; on closing it's completely smooth until the very end, at that point it just requires a slight push forward and down to close. Feels great. This is the hill I am choosing to die on. :colbert:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Speaking of Spanish Mausers does this look legit? I'm intrigued. https://www.gunpost.ca/firearms/rifles/city-toronto/polish-mauser-wz29e-spanish-civil-war

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Thanks for the insight everyone.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

And speaking of guns with cool stories, Rock Island has an SSG-82 up on the block tomorrow. Shame about how much it would cost to get it into Canada.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Speaking of carbines, I found a Spanish Destroyer up here, chambered in 9mm Largo, for $625 CAD. Seems like a neat gun I had absolutely never heard of before, and conveniently for Canadians has not been used in any recent massacres.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Action-Bastard posted:

A nice M39 is the next and last Mosin on my list. Maybe a PU sniper but those have really gone up in price I regret not buying one when they were $700.

I'm looking at a Finn'd Peter the Great Mosin the guy wants 700 CAD for. Which I think is too high, but then I thought I overpaid for a Polish m44 which has been selling for four digit prices now. The surplus market up here is exploding.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

I'm not a pistol guy. I know next to nothing about them. But this little Nazi has shown up locally for a grand Canadian. Thoughts?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

WOGGD owns. It's a legitimate learning tool at the fair price of zero dollars

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

A while back I posted my mildly Bubba'd Jungle Carbine. I took it out for the second time yesterday and it literally cannot hit a door at 50m. Months ago I thought the sights were off, but a boresight confirmed they're adequate. So something else is going on with the barrel. What resources should I read for checking the barrel myself? It was a cheap gun that I don't want to spend gunsmith money on, but I also don't want it to be completely useless.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

I'll have a better opportunity to shoot at proper targets in the future to try and pinpoint the pattern (if any) of its insane inaccuracy. For now, have a collection of pictures that made me go :chloe:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

And if only 303 ammo existed for a reasonable price.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Fearless posted:

Picked up a Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1

loving excellent.

For Canucks, there's a solid auction this Saturday.

I've got my eye on a Radom Vis 35 or Mexican Mauser. Tons of other poo poo bookmarked but the prices are reeeeeeally getting up there before live bidding has even started.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

I'm participating in my first online auction and this poo poo is intense. The FOMO is very real. But on the bright side, I now have a Vis 35.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

I have a question re: heresy. As I wait for my well-used Radom Vis 35 to be approved for transfer (the Ontario backlog at the RCMP is now about 12 weeks), I am considering re-bluing it to a) pretty it up, and b) protect it from the elements a bit, as I will be shooting it. It's a later war production so it didn't have a very good finish to begin with. I suspect re-bluing it would affect its value, but would it be very significant? Is re-bluing really such a big deal to collectors? I have no intention to sell it in the near future but you never know what bills pop up. Then, of course, there's the sentimental value of loving with a drat near 80 year old gun. But again, is bluing something that would've at times been done by a factory anyway, as a weapon aged or was refurbed, like many Lee Enfields?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Duly noted. It's just going to get regular range time and otherwise will be sitting in a safe in my absurdly dry condo.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

Has anyone ever had a problem with a Mosin-Nagant bolt getting stuck closed?

I've got a 1942 91/30 that I've had since I think 2008, which I regularly shot every hunting season for years and take out to the range fairly regularly. The bolt has always been a little bit stiff but never enough to actually be a problem. Today, though, I took it out to a gun club range day and it got more and more difficult to open with each shot, until after the twelfth round I fired through the thing it locked completely the gently caress up. I finally got it open at home by putting it in a vise and hitting it with a mallet a bunch of times. The spent casing extracted cleanly, although when I tried to rechamber the spent casing to see what would happen the bolt absolutely refused to close on it.

It was extremely hot out (over 100F) and both the ammunition and rifle spent a lot of time sitting out in the hot sun before firing, wonder if that may have been a factor. I was also using different ammunition than I normally would - steel-cased TulAmmo, rather than the Soviet surplus I generally fire.

I had this exact same experience last month, in the same weather with the exact same ammo. The steel case poo poo locked it up and I had to really go at it after about 6 rounds. I went back to my Barnaul's after and it was fine.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Thermos posted:

Every time I read this thread I wish for a Garand :smith: With most of our other cool semi-autos banned the price has only gone up. $2400ish seems to be the going rate in Canada..

What would be a decent price for a Swiss vetterli with the spike bayonet? I don't recall them ever being worth a whole lot but I haven't seen one with a bayonet before.

Yeah but you *could* have a bizarro Italian BM59/Garand sniper in 7.62 for a mere 5300. Scroll to the bottom.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

I'm kicking around the idea of putting a no-tap scope mount on my Jungle Enfield on account of the bubba'd sights. I have a replica Elcan SpectreDR from my airsoft days that did well on a full auto gas blowback for years. Think it'll survive the recoil of a 303?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

I've been keeping some money aside for the right Finnish Mosin to come by. This is probably not the right Finn, but it is boss as hell and re-serialed with 666. Dare I get another bastardized cut-down milsurp to join my Jungle?

From cursory research, the story goes that when Globco imported a bunch of Finnish SVT-40s to Canada, they turned most into the notoriously poo poo Mohawk semi-auto .303. But some they kept and vaguely sporterized, cutting down the barrel and moving the front sight post to the top of the gas assembly.

Considering that SVTs up here are now well into the 4 digits, this may not be bad if someone else wants to jump on it.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

A Mosin M91 just went for what appears to be an obscene amount of money ($1200) at an auction up here. By the description it was nothing special - looks to be a pretty standard 1910 Izhevsk. But the side of the hex receiver has this marking on it that I literally can find zero information on. Any ideas?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Vindolanda posted:

I got a bit deep into research and nearly ruined a curry, but based on what Iíve seen could Grdz. be Graudenz? Itís now Grudziaz in Poland but was part of the German empire.

Edit: I say it might be Graudenz because that was at one point a garrison town and Grdz. was used on silver items made there, which suggests it was a common abbreviation for the town name.

Aha! Indeed, there are one or two references on 7.62.net to "AD" being a German WW1 depot mark. So that definitely makes sense. Interesting provenance.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Hey look at this neat thing up for auction.

It's not listed in the auction, which just says "St. Etienne MLE 1907-15 Carbine", but if you look at the last pic it has a "T.C. Orman 1948". These were part of a very limited run of Vichy rifles converted by the Turks to serve with their forest rangers to protect walnut trees from loggers. loving neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpAaqgTXuXM

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Fearless posted:

Those are reasonably affordable up here in Canada and fairly numerous too; they tend to go in the $5-800 CAD range. The usual suspects can keep an eye out for you if you want.

There's one up right now in fact, 27 days to go. https://www.icollector.com/SPANDAU-MAUSER-MODEL-71-84-43-MAUSER_i38936755

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Gewehr 43 posted:

Gah. Someone sported an SVT by smashing the piston cover under the rear sight? What on earth.

That's the finest Canadian factory sporter ever made, if you're looking for a semi-auto .303 piece of poo poo piece of history come on up

edit:

I don't wanna double post. While browsing Epps I noticed they're selling a loving H&R Reising 50 in semi-auto for $900. Which for Canadians is silly because despite the semi it's still prohibited, but that could be a nice catch south of the border.

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 6, 2020

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

loving hell.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

[Tell] me more about Israeli k98s in 7.62. I'm looking at a dou45. Fun shooters? It turns out I hate having safe queens and it'd be nice to have a Mauser in a cartridge I already reload for.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

You're a real mensch.

On that note, I have a request. Does anyone here have a copy of Lapin's Mosin Nagant book? A guy online is selling a 91/30 with a "diamond 5" mark on the receiver, and the only source for online knowledge for that mark is Lapin's claim that it's a "Polish" acceptance mark. I just wanted to see a scan of the page it's on in case there's other info. Polish 91/30s are rather rare, and the only "numbered" Polish factory code I'm aware of is Radom's 11.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

All of that is spectacularly helpful, thank you!

edit: found what I needed on 315. A diamond 5 is just a "technical or acceptance mark" used from 1948-1965, which would make this rifle an old pre-war relic that was sold off to the Poles after the war for some reason.

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 21, 2020

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Bubba already hosed with the sights before I got it, so it's time to get stupid.

I'm not sure if it would be more stupid to put a 4-digit optic on this thing, or an airsoft one, but this is the knockoff version. I look forward to the recoil smashing the glass on the first shot.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Couple of random gun thought requests:

This was raised in the caliber thread: Carcanos. The Canadian market is flush with a shipment of Carcano carbines for $350+. Are they at all interesting to own and shoot? They look neat and of course will never be produced again.

Totally different: Tariqs. There's a Tariq for sale for $800. I am confident the Tariq sucks, but this is such an oddball that makes its way onto market so rarely that it might be cool to have. The money required is too high for an impulse "heh cool" purchase like the Carcano though. Have any of you owned/fired one?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

I'm going to be bidding on a bayonet this week for a rifle I don't own and will likely never have (a Polish wz24 bayo). It's not very expensive but still, not a rabbit hole I want to dig deeper into.

But if I get a trench gun...

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Specifically a Ross question, but were there any factory [Ross] carbines made that weren't the batch of a thousand sent to the NWMP?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

kupachek posted:

Do you mean specifically Mk I carbines? If you consider the Short Mk II to be a Carbine, the CEF got 1400 of those.

See, from my understanding there were Mk Is, and Mk I carbines. I'm not aware of any carbines that weren't the Mk I, and that didn't go to the NWMP. I ask specifically because this handsome feller is up tomorrow. If true that the only Mk I carbines were the NWMP models (with all of the baggage and poo poo-talk they got), this would clearly be one of them, despite the scrubbed stock. I mean, it might be a fake too, but it certainly looks the part when compared against verifiable models.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

I threw a bid on the Ross scope that went yesterday before it went for absolute crazy money. I mean, if I had it I would've spent that, but wowsers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

$4750.