Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Jehde posted:

This is partially what lead to the whole CZ 858 kerfuffle up here. The CZ 858 was a semi-automatic only reproduction of the vz. 58 for the civilian market, and was built on receivers made for the civilian market. CZUB got cocky/greedy and realized they had a bunch of surplussed military receivers lying around that they thought they could get away with converting to be semi-automatic only for CZ 858 export sales. They got caught by the RCMP and the CZ 858 became prohibited here, so CZUB decided they just weren't going to deal with that whole mess and ended up donating the remainder of their surplus vz. 58s to the Kurds instead.

This is not wholly accurate. CZ was making them this way for the Canadian market from the get go. They were inspected and approved by the RCMP for import this way. The early Marstar rifles (I had one) just had a block installed in the receiver where the FA bits would go. It was the same with the Swiss Arms, despite always being a 550, and the original Type 97s being able to accept FA trigger groups, they were all inspected by the RCMP and approved for import. The mistake was with the RCMP approving them without doing their due diligence and then not realising their mistake until years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Jehde posted:

Ah, I thought that was the case for the SAN rifles (mistaken approval), but thought the CZ 858 was a case of a specific batch of them being converted autos, with the rest of them being fine. Which is how I thought it went from all CZ 858s being prohibited to just the affected production range according to the RCMP.

The early batches were very small runs (50 or so) and have different model numbers. I was amazed myself when they weren't caught up in the legislation.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Thighmaster? Tell me more!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

From my understanding of US prices that is pretty much rock bottom for a dealer price on an SKS. The description seems to indicate that these have come from one of the former Yugoslavian states, pretty cool for a Chinese SKS.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

This came in the mail today from Powells, who shipped the book and refunded my money. I tried to contact them but got no response. Thanks for the free book, the fact that it is a pre-run limited edition with a signed title page is icing on the cake! I didn't think it was coming so I ordered another copy from another retailer. I'll be donating one of them to my museum's technical library.

I think Dick Smith is a title not a name.

MadBimber posted:

Followed all your recommendations to try GB rather than royal tiger, found a nice little k88 for sale. It was $750 which is probably a bit high but I'm really happy with it so far. It was made in 1890 by Haenel making it not quite my oldest firearm but definitely august. The action feels good and I suspect will improve with cleaning. I haven't looked inside the barrel jacket yet so fingers crossed it isn't horrifically rusty. It came with a sling, no idea what make or when.

Here's a sad cellphone pic:

I can't get over how tiny it is! An inch shorter and a pound lighter than an M38 Mosin. I can only imagine it will be fun but unpleasant.

I am intensely jealous. I lust for a K88.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I like the inscription, especially since it's from the author.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've been wanting to pick up steel wool for a while for this sort of thing. Can I get that at the hardware store or do grocery stores even have it?

edit: yep hardware store had it. By the sandpaper.

It's in rough shape but I would avoid sandpaper. 0000 steel wool soaked in oil will remove rust and dirt without damaging anything.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Somebody Awful posted:

That's cool and all but I was legit confounded to learn that Ian doesn't have a Swedish Mauser.

Gross.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

MadBimber posted:

what are peoples' thoughts on swede mausers anyway? still a secret hotness?

I wish I hadn't sold my m/41b.

Crosspost:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Thermos posted:

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/fsr.html

Swedish FSR m96s loving own. Dunno about the states but we get shipments here in Canada when shooting clubs get rid of them. They often come adorned with cool little plaques and are priced fairly cheap as they don't really appeal to military collectors.

If I had maintained my Swede collection I would be drowning in these, but I went Swiss instead.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Mods!?!?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I remember one time I called the M95 the worst of the straight pulls and some goon Kramered in to white knight it.

WHERE IS THAT GOON NOW?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

V Nice. Any unit markings on the original one?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Taking an opportunity to share this again:

https://imgur.com/gallery/TcHqrIh

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The only cheap stuff there is prohib poo poo, which 99% of Canadian gun owners can't buy.

Also it will all go up, plus buyer's premium!

Edit: If this stays sub $600 it's worth it:
https://www.icollector.com/WEBLEY-MODEL-MARK-VI-CALIBER-455-REV_i37454650

Same, if bore is excellent as they claim.
https://www.icollector.com/WWI-ERA-WEBLEY-MODEL-MKVI-CALIBER-455-REVOLVER_i37466207S

Collectible guns are going to be going for 1K plus these days.

mikerock fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 18, 2020

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Checked the list a little again and I feel like:

https://www.icollector.com/MAUSER-MODEL-C96-STANDARD-BROOMHANDLE-CALIBER-7-63-MAUSER_i37454646

Edit: Oh my god someone scratched their initials in the frame on both sides

"Some handling marks"

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I have only bid on auctions a couple of times, and it's a lot of fun. Especially when you can do it with government money.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

A barrel band pin?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Just had to give this pic a workout in a milsurp FB group I am in:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Prof. Banks posted:

I just bought a k31 this morning. I now just have to master the patience to wait for it to get here.

Good, good.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I am extremely hard right now

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

glynnenstein posted:

Your only spare? The mechanic in me says absolutely keep a spare; a week or a month after you toss an old part to clear a shelf the running one breaks and you're shopping. One to go and one to show.

This. If you had a few of them I could see it, but one extra? Keep it. At a couple hundred bucks, that's money that's easy enough to save up if you need to anyways.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Webleys are awesome. I love my W.S. Target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Somebody Awful posted:

And stay away from Turkish surplus 7.92 ammo unless you enjoy living dangerously.

And a reminder that 50s Yugo is dodgy as hell.