Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

"Tell me of your home world, Usul"

wouldn't mind a milsurp 1911 but I seem to keep missing their windows, if they get more could someone post here in the thread?

I have no idea what FFL documents look like, when they say "signed" do they mean a photocopy of whatever the normal ffl thing is, or does it have to be like a special copy with an inked signature, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

there was an old carbine that swallowed a fly...

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

Steyer M1912 Chilean mauser carbines in 30-06. Supposedly rechambered in the early 50s when the US was passing out surplus garands and ammo like candy to third world countries.

Some references here from MGMike, although hopefully these don't look that bad? The one review on the site is a five star which hopefully means it hasn't been sitting on the bottom of a lake for 50 years.

quote:

Steyr made only 5,600 of these carbines, compared to some 37,500 M12 Long rifles. Additionally, most carbines might have seen much more use. By this, the M12 carbines are quite rare...
source of the '5600' no. is: Heino Hintermeier, 'In der Stunde der Not', p. 27; out of the OEWG 'Vertragsbuch', p. 92

quote:

Thank you for this s/n information. I had suspected no more than 6,000, but did not know for sure. Years ago in the mid-1980s I inspected 1,200 of these carbines, the first ones of this model to be imported from Chile. All were in the s/n range of A10 to A5xxx, in caliber 7x57, except a very few that had been rebored or rebarreled to .30-06 --but not so marked (discovered with a headspace gauge). The M12 carbines must have been very popular in Chile as they were all VERY well used, though many had beautiful bores. Practically all had mismatched bolts, but often were all-matching otherwise. Some had matching muzzle caps. Many did not have cleaning rods.

In 1912 they were arguably the best 98 Mauser model in military service anywhere in the world. With a barrel only about 555mm long, they are a couple inches shorter than a Karabiner 98k, thus light and very handy, superbly made, and in a easily manageable caliber. They exhibit workmanship as good or better than Mauser Oberndorf's. In the 1990s SAMCO purchased many of the remainder left in Chile, and later still Century bought the dregs.

The front band screw in all of them appeared to be non-original. For some unknown reason they all seemed to be replacements with a slightly different metric thread than the front band into which they were forced, which explains their stubborn removal.

Those with original finish had bright receivers. Rebuilds were usually blued.

I think I'm going to take the plunge on this, $300 for a mauser that shoots a readily available cartridge doesn't seem too awful. That's like yugo money these days. I'm sending it to a local gander store so if it's garbage I can presumably send it back before doing the transfer.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 24, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

I wish that Australian company that made Lee-Enfield repros in 7.62x39 hadn’t gone under. That would be such a fun shooter.

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

Any better way to clean rust while maintaining some semblence of finish/blueing than a copper bristle brush and oil? Copper's pretty soft so that shouldn't scratch up steel.

For stocks, you just throw it in a trash bag full of cat litter, put it out in the driveway, and let it bake in the sun?

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

alright thread, I took apart a G98 pattern mauser and I have a pin that I don't know where it goes. It is just a straight pin. Rounded head, flat butt. I separated the barreled-receiver unit and the lower receiver (magazine mount) and the magazine follower/spring/floorplate, but didn't take apart the trigger or other units, it just came apart somewhere in there. It is receiver length so it probably goes across the receiver somewhere.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 24, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

Missing Name posted:

REPRO M1 carbine chat.

Anyone have experience with early 1960's National Ordnance cast receiver guns?

There may be some exceptions here and there but from what I've read basically all the repros are loving garbage. If you want a carbine it's GI or bust.

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

as bubba'ing goes that's fairly mild but it probably knocks a couple hundred off the gun that it was sportered at all, if you sold it you might want to try looking for a replacement

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

Coldrice posted:

Milsurp posts in this forum was one of the main reasons I got into guns initially as well. I ended up going down the hunting road however, and recently decided to finally fulfill my milsurp lust

Really need a mosin to complete this but too expensive for me now :(

where'd you get the leather sidesaddle?

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

a rare chance to own a norinco tt-33 with the cool glock safety

Because of the smuggling shenanigans, there aren’t too many norincos in the states and that’s not likely to change. The ones that are here are either vet bringbacks and often in poor shape, or any that were imported had to be modified with a safety that is pretty crude and ugly. The glock trigger counts as a safety so the frame on these is uncut and you can bring it back to stock config if you want.

Not that norinco is particularly amazing or anything, but there don’t seem to be many Yugo M57s coming in with the trigger safety. Classic had some but they have been out of stock for a while.

I wonder where these ended up such that they’re importable.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 19, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

I was thinking that sounds like a cracked receiver that finally let loose too. Even with no oprod spring, you would think that it would handle it a few times, enough that you would notice that it's not shooting right / not returning to battery.

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

one of the reddit comments points out that in the video you can see two casings in the air and if you listen closely you can hear a double gunshot so it is definitely some kind of a slamfire.

Wonder if it's somehow related or whether he just got lucky and the meteor struck exactly at the site of the train derailment?

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

I have no idea if that's what it actually is, but that's what it looks like. Another alternative might be some sort of red grease or cleaning stuff that didn't get wiped out of that crack.

Could be some caked in grease/cosmo.

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also is it just me or is “international harvester” a really loving grim name for a company making rifles.

"interstellar combine"

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

Action-Bastard posted:

Hey gang, if I was going to strip the finish off of an old wooden stock whats the cheapest and easiest way to go about it?

I need some chemicals and a vessel to hold it all, I know that much.

Purple Power or Castro’s Superclean or whatever the modern equivalent is... maybe Simple Green.

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

impact driver with a bit wrench

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

Not an expert in heavily pitted firearms but that looks concerning to me. That's not minor pitting, you've lost maybe 1/3 of the metal there. I would not shoot that.

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

my man here is posting from 2014, poor SOB doesn't know what's about to hit him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

what else do you really expect from a "fair" grade rifle? The NRA rifle scale is designed to sell rifles, not be an honest assessment of what you would think of the rifle. "good" means "fair" and "fair" means "ivan accidentally flooded the silo and left a couple crates of rifles down there for a few months before he noticed". "Fair" is allowed to have substantial rust, little to no blueing left, etc (and it says nothing about chatter marks from lovely machining at the factory).

the only grade below "fair" is "poor" which means "rusted out and non-functional"/"wall hanger that you would be embarrassed to hang on a wall".

quote:

FAIR: Some major parts replaced; minor replacement parts may be required; metal rusted, may be lightly pitted all over, vigorously cleaned or re-blued; rounded edges of metal and wood; principal lettering, numerals and design on metal partly obliterated; wood scratched, bruised, cracked or repaired where broken; in fair working order or can be easily repaired and placed in working order.

POOR: Major and minor parts replaced; major replacement parts required and extensive restoration needed; metal deeply pitted; principal lettering, numerals and design obliterated, wood badly scratched, bruised, cracked or broken; mechanically inoperative; generally undesirable as a collector's firearm.