Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Fearless posted:

I am shamelessly reposting the SMLE No 1 Mk III* that I finished restoring this weekend.

Oh wow, that turned out fantastic! Great job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

wargames posted:

not interested into a super original collector grade m1 grand just something nice to pew pew and in good condition.
A Service Grade would meet those desires quite nicely.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

MadBimber posted:

what are peoples' thoughts on swede mausers anyway? still a secret hotness?
Yep. All the goodness of the mauser design, with a lower recoiling cartridge so you can shoot it all day.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

DeesGrandpa posted:

Straight pulls are lame too
you have bad opinions

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Thermos posted:

I am also really thinking about buying a Spanish FR-8. Is this a good idea y/n?
Only downside to the FR8 is it kicks like a biiiiiiitch for a .308. Ultimately that was a big part of why mine ended up on the chopping block. Otherwise they're really neat.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Not coincidentally Swedish Mausers are great because you can shoot them all day without banging yourself up.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

ZarathustraFollower posted:

So, I believe I owe you all some pictures. CMP store actually had some 1903s in stock! But I only had funds to get a garand today. They had about 30 garands to look at, field, service, and special grade all available (one rack grade even).

What did I go with? A field grade Winchester -

Oh, it's got a 1943 barrel. (I think, anyone want to confirm?)

And it's a got a muzzle score of 1, throat of 2, with original USGI wood it looks like.

I am very happy with picking that one out. Most of the other field grades had 5+ total scores between muzzle and throat, and all the service grades had reproduction stocks.

Trigger and bolt are both WWII manufacture too, although I need to look up their batch #s still.
Looks great! Now get yourself some M2 ball and some en blocs and get to pinging!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

flightless greeb posted:

Could be, altho there is some value to going thru the process of getting everything in order to get one from the CMP and also knowing exactly what you're getting - usually CMP guns get sold for a profit, hence why they had to limit how many you can buy a year.
Yeah there are some fucksticks locally that have been doing that for a long time. They buy up CMP stuff and flip it for hundreds more. Don't even bother to conceal what they're doing, they usually include the CMP accessories with the guns.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Here's the best pics I could get of the rust I'd like to remove

Gun oil and 000 or 0000 steel wool should take that right off. Chain hardware stores should have the steel wool. 000 is the absolute coarsest you can go without noticeably removing bluing, I'd go to 0000 if possible.

After you're done wipe any dirty excess off and then reoil it.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Cyrano4747 posted:

I wouldn't go 000 on a gun. I've used 0000 in the past, and it's part of my toolkit, but I wouldn't use it on anything that has a shiney surface. 0000 will leave swirls etc in a high gloss blue, for example, or even just a shiny one. Not so much of a worry if you're getting rust off that black stuff the Soviets refinished Mosins in, or a parkerized finish. Still not great for it, but it's an option if poo poo is stuck.
I've used it without issue, but not on high polish bluing. Totally could believe it would damage it.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Someone school me on K31 diopter sights. Are there any that don't require permanent mods to the rifle? What ones should I be looking for? Are replacement front sights required?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ok. Rear sight. Note that itís clamped onto that receiver ridge thing with a thumb screw. Itís on there pretty well. Doesnít come off.

Front site. Claps on with a regular screw to hold tension. Shot from the front to show how it sits on top of the old site

Nice! So is this what I'm looking for?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Swiss-W-F-Diopter-Set-for-K31/164293152302

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Sweet! Just dropped a bid on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

moths posted:

My Type 54 Chinese Tokarev arrived! It's in pristine condition, RGUNS put a very subtle import mark under the barrel, and my only concern was some apparent corrosion in the slide, but I'm looking closer and uh, what the heck is this red?

I haven't stripped it down yet because I've had a few drinks and get clumsy af, but what am I looking at here?
Might be paint. A lazy way of making a loaded chamber indicator is to paint the extractor red on top so that when there is a round in there you can see the red. Looks sloppy though so might have just been slapped on for import points?